Books

• geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
14 Feb 2008 13:19 #1 by geezer (geezer)
Books was created by geezer (geezer)
I'm reducing my library as - well I have too many books for the one and a half rooms I have dedicated to them. 
First, some history books. These are, strangely enough, duplicates.  I've read them and in some instances have appended a brief review.

I'm willing to consider trades, as well as direct sales for money or gold (if the latter is allowed).

Beowulf:  translation by Lehmann  softbound  $5 or 10 gold

The Fighting Kings of Wessex by G. P. Baker  Written by one of those 19th century English "amateur experts" this one has withstood the test of time.  Covers from the exit of Rome to the Norman Conquest.  Includes notable influential women as well as the usual suspects.  softbound
$5 or 12 gold.

Arms & Armour in Antiquity and the Middle Ages by Charles Boutell  softbound reprint).  The author wrote the definitive work on Heraldry.  This work provides a wonderful overview of the weapons and armor used.  Mostly hand illustrated (hey, it was printed in 1868) Its a nice reference book which I first discovered as an undergrad before even Matt and Geoff were born :)
$5 or 12 gold

A History of the Vikings by Gwyn Jones  Hardcover Oxford Univ Press 1968  Another of my references from the days when I did papers on warfare in the middle ages.  I have two copies, as people present me with stuff like this, knowing I have an interest in the topic and what else do you get people who have been around for a bit?  Has maps, hand drawn illustrations and photos
$7 or 15 gold

1066 the Year of the Conquest by David Howarth.  Hardcover  An easy to read account of events leading to the conquest.  He delves into such intangibles as the religious implications of the pope's blessing the banner of William, as well as providing interesting background on all the belligerents.  Notable are his speculations on why Harold hurried to the final encounter when taking his time would have all but assured his victory.  After I purchased a copy, I won one as a prize.  Figures.
$6 or 14 gold

I'll post more as I continue in the Aegean Stables.  If interested, PM me.  If someone wants to obtain one, I will remove it fromthe listing.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
  • Inajira
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 22
14 Feb 2008 13:31 #2 by Inajira (Inajira)
Replied by Inajira (Inajira) on topic Books
Charlie,

You can't charge IG coin for these books unless it's an IG transaction held at an event.  You can set up a shop at Market Fair to sell your books for IG coin, otherwise you can't put a gold price on them in the Marketplace forum.

-Wally

Angus Grumblegut
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
14 Feb 2008 13:58 #3 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic Books
Charles,
I am very surprised & honestly a little disappointed about this post... for a man of such education, you would sell these books to people you call friends.  If that wasn't enough, if you truly desired to be rid of them, why not donate them to a library???
I am unsure which is more surprising to me, that since these books are duplicates, the people closest to you would have to buy them off of you (though if they asked to borrow them for their own reading, would you let them?) or that you have no desire to share these wonderful books with a governemnt institution, such as a public library, devoted to learning and it always severely underfunded each year.

Perhaps I have read your post wrong, and am confused by it.

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
  • Gregor
  • Thank Yous: 10
14 Feb 2008 15:33 - 14 Feb 2008 15:36 #4 by Gregor (Caleb)
Replied by Gregor (Caleb) on topic Books
No - you didn't read it wrong. Pretty straightforward sales pitch.

-Stephen

Gregor Borowitz
Court Healer of Alisandria

Guild Member of the Black Orchid Merchant Company

OOG:Stephen Bukovsky
Last edit: 14 Feb 2008 15:36 by .
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
14 Feb 2008 16:08 #5 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic Books
I find that asking a nominal amount for such items to be reasonable.  As to libraries, my local library, around the size of my barn, does not carry such reference works, being concerned with new releases and such.  I give my mysteries to the local hospital.  My mainline sci-fi (I buy them used, by the box) I have in boxes, and are always free to a good home.  However, Paul, I will let you have as many as you desire to distribute to your local institutions, for there are none where I live.  Let me know how many you can distribute (volumes, pounds, by category, etc.).

I have made several acquaintanceships and some friends among those at KR, but you overstep yourself, Paul, by assuming they are the ones closest to me.  Perhaps it is my concept of what defines a friend, as opposed to an acquaintance.  I do not use the term "friend" as lightly as you seem to.  My true wealth does not lie in real goods, but the in those who are my friends.  In that regard, I am wealthy beyond my dreams.

As with my entire library, they are always available for loan.  I have lent and given books to those in KR on many occasions. 
These are - different. 

As to my education - frankly I do not see where that enters into things. 

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster

• Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
14 Feb 2008 16:48 #6 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
The libraries in NYC do not discriminate and will take any and all books of all types.  I would be happy to take whatever material you no longer want and give it to them.  I will send you an address you can ship them to and I will give them to the libraries.

Maybe you are right and I am too quick to call people friends.  I may have too open and trusting of a nature and am too quick to accept people and do favors for them, like the one I tried to do for you and your son.  I guess I do have a fault of being too much of a nice guy and calling people my friend when I shouldn't.  From the way I see things, I thought the folks in KR were the ones closest to you.  I am mistaken, and I was wrong to think that.  Its just so common how the folks here call each other part of the KR family that I thought you were a part of that.  I am sorry.

The education remark stems from the way you share all your knowledge, I thought you would do the same with the books.  It's just my personal view/slant on how I see things.

Vassal of Alisandria
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
14 Feb 2008 19:54 #7 by geezer (geezer)
Its interesting the terms you use.  KR is family, which means one thing.  I have two families, the one I was born into and the one I have acquired over the decades.  Whereas I am close to several of my biological relatives, I am close to all my chosen family.  Favors are different from famil,. in that they are not by definition done for friends.  Most the favors I do are for those with whom I am well acquainted.  that I chose to extend a familial relationship with someone does not make them a friend.

As you know, favors differ in complexity, with the most difficult ones to grant being those that take time.  "Ask of me anything you want save more time."  Napoleon  Those that merely require an introduction or the use of some item not currently needed are simple, even though due to the components they may seem hard.  I find as I age that time is the most precious commodity.  A wonderful book with an excellent screen adaptation which provides a fine illustration of this is Bradbury's "Something Wicked This Way Comes."

Calling people friends is a common thing, yet I ask you (all) to define what earns the sobriquet. 
Do you know what makes me laugh?  What makes me cry?  What emotionally upsets me?  If not, how can you call yourself my friend.  these are not absolutes, but they are part of what is important to me.  Will I extend myself for those who are not my friends?  Absolutely yes, no doubt whatsoever.  Ask around :)  That I would extend myself for someone in no way means I necessarily consider that someone a friend.
I try not to be snobbish in such matters, because the word gets overused.  Probably best is that those with whom I consider myself well acquainted are those whom many others would call friends. 

IG, I try very hard to have my secondary character conform to the common usage of friend. 

Your slant is perfect for Paul Y.  It is just different from that which I have.  Yet, outside the fact that I desire to sell a few books IG (they will be at the Market Faire, if they are not considered anachronistic IG, a question I have already asked in private), we are not that far apart in practice.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster

• dedrite
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • For the Emperor!
  • Thank Yous: 1
14 Feb 2008 20:10 #8 by dedrite (dedrite)
Replied by dedrite (dedrite) on topic Books
Paul is my friend.

Word up.

-Brother Knight Templar Sabatheous Tellinghast-
Knight Templar of the Order of the Brilliant Hammer
Holy Inquisitor of the Church of Kormyre

Crudelius est quam mori semper timere mortem

"Nothing is ever forgotten"

((Joe Bondi-Marketing Officer))
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
14 Feb 2008 20:32 #9 by geezer (geezer)
Although I am glad for you what is the significance of that to me, Joe?

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster

• dedrite
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • For the Emperor!
14 Feb 2008 20:55 - 14 Feb 2008 20:59 #10 by dedrite (dedrite)
None Charlie.  I was trying to let Paul know he wasnt off the mark when it comes to his friends at KR. 

Last edit: 14 Feb 2008 20:59 by .
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
14 Feb 2008 21:35 #11 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Thank you Joe for those words.  They mean a lot to me.

Charles, I pm'd you the address to send those books.

Vassal of Alisandria
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
14 Feb 2008 21:59 #12 by geezer (geezer)
I PMed back that UPS does not deliver to PO Boxes and they weigh too much to mail.  Could you take a few boxes at the next Event, say 100 pounds, mixed softbound and hardback from a variety of genres?

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster

• Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
14 Feb 2008 22:16 #13 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
The United States Postal Service have a bulk rate for written media.  In fact, they give discounts on media for libraries. www.usps.com/send/waystosendmail/senditw...ntheus/mediamail.htm   The max is up to 70 lbs.

I can't take 100 lbs next event, as I share a ride with Chris, and can't force him to help me transport 100 lbs of books.  Can you break up the books into 4 boxes of 25 lbs each and then send them by mail?  USPS is most likely cheaper than UPS, especially if you are making a donation shipping.  Check the link above, as the USPS is offering home pick-up and everything, so shipping should be easy and cheaper with them.

BTW, for those interested in donating old books of theirs, you can visit many, many websites that want your old books.
Like this one... www.booksfirst.org/index.php

Vassal of Alisandria
  • Bellanear
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 13
15 Feb 2008 08:10 - 15 Feb 2008 08:14 #14 by Bellanear (Alai)
Replied by Bellanear (Alai) on topic Books
Paul,

I wanted to say thank you for the information in this post.  I am moving shortly, and can't even start to transport all the books I have collected over the years. 

It is great to find someone willing, not only to help people less fortunate than themselves, but to do so without care for congratulations AND to freely give information to others so they can help out in any way they can.

Even if you don't know him that well, I think it's safe to say that Paul definately 'qualifies' as a friend (as if you need a checklist for such things) and an A+ person as well.

Again, Paul, thank you.

On a more 'Gavin the Dick Moderator' note, posting what you PM'd someone is completely unneccesary and serves to do nothing but clutter the boards.  Please try and refrain from doing stuff like this in the future.

-Bellanear Cyeos
The Alabaster Seal
Guardian of The Ivory Tower

Gavin S.
Last edit: 15 Feb 2008 08:14 by .
  • JoDios
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • That guy with the muffin hat.
  • Thank Yous: 0
15 Feb 2008 09:34 #15 by JoDios (JoDios)
Replied by JoDios (JoDios) on topic Books
Good link Paul,
I defniatly have a lot of books back home that I can get rid of/give to a library.

OOG: Jo
  • Gallion
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank Yous: 2677
15 Feb 2008 09:40 #16 by Gallion (Gallion)
Replied by Gallion (Gallion) on topic Books
Books probably would be too anachronistic to sell at the market faire, unless they where leather bound or otherwise looked like period in game books.

- James C. Kimball Director, Knight Realms
15 Feb 2008 09:46 #17 by Tamzyn Worthington (shimmershadow)
Replied by Tamzyn Worthington (shimmershadow) on topic Books
My cousin is the Director of the Lewes Public Library in Lewes, DE.  Lewes co-lends with five or six other libraries in Sussex County, DE, and I can say with some authority that they will never, never turn down donated books.  Whatever does not get put into circulation is usually sold at book sales that raise always-needed funds for the library program.  If anyone has books to donate, as long as you can get them to me, I can drive them down to DE myself.

Tamzyn Worthington
OOG: Kate DeSantis
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
15 Feb 2008 09:47 #18 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Sorry Gavin... I PM'd you my apologies.  :D

I also found out that anyone who has old magazines (preferably Maxim, FHM, etc), there is a magazine collection as well for our loved ones over in Iraq and other stationed far away.  It be killer if KR (and I'll help spearhead and get things moving) could get a collection going for our armed service folks.  Though to be honest, I am attached to my collection of Maxim magazine... especially the Jessica Alba issue.

I'll post the link later on how it works, as I'm in my office and can't access the Maxim website right now.  :-\

Vassal of Alisandria
15 Feb 2008 10:45 #19 by Lord Devirr (Eliston)
Replied by Lord Devirr (Eliston) on topic Books
i <3 jessica alba

tommy
pc- lex, elaith, eliston
  • Daedri
15 Feb 2008 13:44 #20 by Daedri (Daedri)
Replied by Daedri (Daedri) on topic Books
Granted donations are noble and admirable, and im sure charlie in his years on earth has donated his fair share and probably a great deal more than most of us youngins.

To imply that someone is being selfish or greedy because they choose not to donate  some works that are more than likely out of print and difficult to come by. (yes there are a million references on Hastings) But not those references.

If I was the one who made the original post and someone had the nerve to say I was not being selfless enough I would be more than a little insulted.

Remember, the sword of accusation is double edged.

Daedri Elensar
Shipwright to the People

Craig Odell
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
15 Feb 2008 14:02 #21 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
No one here accused him of being selfish... my post was that I, and I alone, personally was confused and a little disappointed that the books he has, were being sold here for money and not donated.  Charles (and anyone else for that matter) is free to think me a jerk for my way of thought.  I have admitted to my faults and apologised.

From all the posts I've seen, no one here has said he was greedy or selfish.  No ill has been implied towards anyone by anyone.

Vassal of Alisandria
  • dedrite
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • For the Emperor!
15 Feb 2008 14:06 #22 by dedrite (dedrite)
I think Roy is the jerk.

• Daedri
15 Feb 2008 14:18 #23 by Daedri (Daedri)
I just read through this post days after its creation and reading post by post It seemed to me from a third party angle that Charlie came out looking like some sort of bad guy.

I would have asked for an apology on anyones behalf if I thought they were being ganged up on.

Daedri Elensar
Shipwright to the People

Craig Odell
  • dedrite
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • For the Emperor!
15 Feb 2008 16:16 #24 by dedrite (dedrite)
I think Craig is a jer..... Sorry Craig.

• Andy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 157
16 Feb 2008 00:04 #25 by Andy (Andy)
Replied by Andy (Andy) on topic Books
Ill say it, Craig is a jerk.  There.

-andy

-Sir Hurgar
Knight of Pendarvin

-Andy
Rules Marshal
  • Daedri
16 Feb 2008 01:08 #26 by Daedri (Daedri)
Who are you?

Daedri Elensar
Shipwright to the People

Craig Odell
16 Feb 2008 01:59 #27 by Lord Devirr (Eliston)
Replied by Lord Devirr (Eliston) on topic Books
hes andy...and he is awesome

tommy
pc- lex, elaith, eliston
  • Andy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 157
16 Feb 2008 03:00 #28 by Andy (Andy)
Replied by Andy (Andy) on topic Books
I live in New Brunswick, fight me.

-andy

-Sir Hurgar
Knight of Pendarvin

-Andy
Rules Marshal
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
16 Feb 2008 10:25 #29 by geezer (geezer)
Andy  Syn: Putz

I admit I was a bit miffed by Paul's post, but I did not feel personally insulted.  A bit misunderstood, perhaps, but Paul, IMO did not mean anything insulting.

I am glad to see, that true to form, Joe believes Roy is the underlying cause.  I wish I was here when all that started so I would not be so much in the dark. 

To save a few bucks, I'll probably bring several cartons of books to the upcoming Event and make Lewes that much better.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster

• Daedri
16 Feb 2008 11:09 #30 by Daedri (Daedri)
I love to fight.

Muster the courage to introduce yourself to me and take a swing. No im not joking.

Daedri Elensar
Shipwright to the People

Craig Odell
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.747 seconds