Welcome to the new Knight Realms website!

• GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
07 Oct 2009 13:30 - 07 Oct 2009 16:23 #1 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Welcome to the new Knight Realms website! was created by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
The new website is live!

The new site is a major overhaul of the code used to run the site as well as some of the graphics (as  you might have noticed...  ;) ).  Changes include:
  • New graphics done by James C. Kimball himself!
  • The site is now running on Joomla 1.5 (instead of 1.0), which offers increased security & stability, as well as ease of use for the Staff, and additional add-ons (like the new Rulebook listing).
  • The layout of the site is done entirely in CSS, instead of HTML tables.  This should speed up the site dramatically, as it reduces the amount of code needed to run it.
  • A new, more functional (and stable) Forums & Gallery link, called JFusion.
  • Search Engine Optimization (SEO), to make the site friendlier to Google and other sites.
  • The inclusion of Sponsored Links, for companies that offer KR members discounts.

Sadly, one of the things that had to go were the old forums.knightrealms.com and gallery.knightrealms.com links... they could not work with the new SEO system in place, but they have been replaced with a newer, easier set of links ( www.knightrealms.com/forums.html and www.knightrealms.com/gallery.html )

Of course, I'm only human - if you see any dead links or other issues, please post them here, and I'll update the site.

Thank you, and enjoy!

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
Last edit: 07 Oct 2009 16:23 by .
  • Chris G.
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Our Life is Made by the Death of Others...
  • Thank Yous: 95
07 Oct 2009 13:37 #2 by Chris G. (Cross)
Replied by Chris G. (Cross) on topic Welcome to the new Knight Realms website!
This looks AMAZING Geoff!!

[hr]
Squire Lucas R. Brand
Squire to Lord Antrim Ardentfyre
--
Tanis Rily'anna
--
OOG: Chris Goley
Mook
  • Aria
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 215
07 Oct 2009 13:47 #3 by Aria (Aria)
Replied by Aria (Aria) on topic Welcome to the new Knight Realms website!
I agree Geoff this site now looks amazing.  Also I had a very minor question.  I can't see how many pms I have any longer when I first sign in.  When we get new pms will the site indicate that, or will I have to go into my messages to check?  Not a big deal, again merely curious.  Thanks

Dame Tari Zhafirah Stonebar Deldragon of the Order of the Sagewardens
Dean of Arcane Studies of the Darkwood Acadamy of the Metaphysical Arts

Playing with fire is bad for those who burn themselves.  For the rest of us, it is a very great pleasure....
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
07 Oct 2009 13:48 #4 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Welcome to the new Knight Realms website!
James didn't like it under the icon on the left... he asked me to limit it to the Forums only, so as not to clutter the sidebars.  ;)

Steward of Elvalion
  • Misaki
  • Dark Sith? Where?!
  • Thank Yous: 23
07 Oct 2009 14:01 #5 by Misaki (cbodnar)
Replied by Misaki (cbodnar) on topic Welcome to the new Knight Realms website!
WOW!  Kudos on making the site look fantastic! 

Misaki Xianlu VonRitter, the Nemesis

Vassal of Pendarvin

"Evil Must Be Destroyed"

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 145
07 Oct 2009 14:50 #6 by Damien (Damien)
Replied by Damien (Damien) on topic Welcome to the new Knight Realms website!
GJ Jeff.  Nice face lift.

With this update, has the forum lost the functionality to list only those posts an individual has not read yet?  That was a helpful tool to quickly scan new topics.

[hr]
Victor Sylus, Baron of Travance
OOG: Damien A.
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
07 Oct 2009 15:09 #7 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Welcome to the new Knight Realms website!
Like the PMs post, James asked me to remove it - if he can be convinced otherwise, I'll see about adding it back in.

Steward of Elvalion
  • Erim Walker
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • I love Travance. There are shirtless men EVERYWHER
  • Thank Yous: 0
07 Oct 2009 15:29 - 07 Oct 2009 15:32 #8 by Erim Walker (shiva14b)
Replied by Erim Walker (shiva14b) on topic Welcome to the new Knight Realms website!
It IS there, actually, just hard to find... when you go into your personal messages (which you have to do through the forum link now), the bar along the top will show your picture and two links next to it: "show unread posts since last visit", and "show new replies to your posts". That first link will bring you to unread post page.

Vince says its also there on the forum page, very small at the bottom, but I can't find it.

Edit: You don't actually have to choose "personal messages" first. The bar appears at the top of the forum page once you're logged in and there.

"Ok we can attack... but if we miss, we'll hit the villagers."
"I'm willing to take that chance!"

Things I am no longer allowed to do in an RPG :
31. The backup trap handler is not whoever has the most HP at the time.
73. Not allowed to name my cudgel Ceremonial Whoopass Stick.
74. My thief's battle cry is not "Run And Live"

[OOG Jenna
Last edit: 07 Oct 2009 15:32 by .
  • THENPC
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Assassins Do It From Behind
  • Thank Yous: 126
07 Oct 2009 15:30 #9 by THENPC (THENPC)
Replied by THENPC (THENPC) on topic Welcome to the new Knight Realms website!
Don't make me post a screenshot

Adversus Nox Noctis,
Sir Lethias Discretion Nathaniel Peregrin Christopher Wrathchild VonRitter
Knight of Travance
Putting the Shiv in Chivalry Since 1202

Mortem facit omnes aequales, vitam facit omnes fratres
Vince The NPC;
RM, RPM, ST
  • Damien
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
07 Oct 2009 15:39 #10 by Damien (Damien)

It IS there, actually, just hard to find... when you go into your personal messages (which you have to do through the forum link now), the bar along the top will show your picture and two links next to it: "show unread posts since last visit", and "show new replies to your posts". That first link will bring you to unread post page.

Vince says its also there on the forum page, very small at the bottom, but I can't find it.

Edit: You don't actually have to choose "personal messages" first. The bar appears at the top of the forum page once you're logged in and there.

Good catch, thanks!  Bookmarked  :P

[hr]
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
07 Oct 2009 15:39 #11 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
I'm working on a way to make it appear, but not on the sidebar, so James can be happy along with everyone else.  The "Unread Posts" link is back, I'll see about adding a PMs link, but that may take some time.

Steward of Elvalion
  • Kelly
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Thank Yous: 134
07 Oct 2009 16:37 #12 by Kelly (Kelly)
Replied by Kelly (Kelly) on topic Welcome to the new Knight Realms website!
Looks great!

Dame Zafrin Yhatzi
Knight of Drega'mire

OOG: Kelly Osborne
  • Lina Marinescu
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Only the curious have something to find
  • Thank Yous: 78
07 Oct 2009 20:26 #13 by Lina Marinescu (Ismaesumi)
Replied by Lina Marinescu (Ismaesumi) on topic Welcome to the new Knight Realms website!
I just wanted to say thank you for the "Our Family in the Service" link. My brother is about to go off to serve our country, and many of my cousins are in the service also. I know I'm not the only one, but I certainly appreciate the fact that our community can display this proudly. Thank you again  :)

IG- Lina Marinescu
OOG- Katie M.- Lead Monster Marshal

The stalwart soul has the will to live and is eager for the race ~Taylor Caldwell

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Thorgrim Ironfeld
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Half of an analysis....is anal.
  • Thank Yous: 0
07 Oct 2009 22:17 #14 by Thorgrim Ironfeld (MitchC)
Replied by Thorgrim Ironfeld (MitchC) on topic Welcome to the new Knight Realms website!
I hope your brother and cousins are safe Lina.

Great work Geoff, nice facelift!

OOG name: Mitch
Master Runesmith of Pendarvin

Don't let the grey hair fool you...wait scratch that...DO let the grey hair fool you.
_____
I make leather armor and various items for sca, larps and dagorhir. Here's my photobucket: s297.photobucket.com/albums/mm233/mc1csmo/
07 Oct 2009 23:40 #15 by Draknar DoKanen (Draknar DoKanen)
Replied by Draknar DoKanen (Draknar DoKanen) on topic Welcome to the new Knight Realms website!
It looks really cool.  Great job Geoff / JamesCKimball.com.

Only question I have is, is there any way for me to shrink the font / layout of the message boards?  Even when I expand the window to full screen the message boards don't fit into the center area and I have to scroll side to side to see everything.

Is there some kind of setting I can change to fix this?  I looked in the profile preferences section and didn't see anything. 

Thanks.

--Skimmel

Skimmel
RP Marshal, Rules Marshal, Storyteller
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
07 Oct 2009 23:43 #16 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Actually, yes!  The catch is, it's in your browser...

Most browsers let you shrink the text, by going to the View menu - it'll let you adjust it there for the whole site.  Everything SHOULD scale properly to fit.

Or, you just need a new monitor.  :P

Steward of Elvalion
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
08 Oct 2009 00:05 #17 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic Welcome to the new Knight Realms website!
Really nice look.

<<The layout of the site is done entirely in CSS,>>  which, where I come from stands for Charles Stuart Spiegel, but being almost completely clueless in even elementary geek, I have no idea what is stands for.  Would you enlighten me, so I can at least make pretend I have a clue?

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
  • Jarons20
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 1
08 Oct 2009 00:08 #18 by Jarons20 (Jarons20)
Replied by Jarons20 (Jarons20) on topic Welcome to the new Knight Realms website!
So pretty, you can almost feel the grain and the leather

OOG - Jason Arons
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
08 Oct 2009 00:09 #19 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
CSS, in this case, stands for "Cascading Style Sheets", which means one page of text controls how the entire site looks.  If I change something on that one site, it changes on every page on the website - it controls things like font sizes, colors, background images, etc.

You will also notice the Spell Checker is back.  Yes, I thought of it specifically for you, Charlie. ;)

Steward of Elvalion
  • Damien
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
08 Oct 2009 00:24 #20 by Damien (Damien)
Under "Monthly Awards" several of the older links report back a JFusion Error.

[hr]
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
08 Oct 2009 00:31 #21 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Can you specify which ones?  I went back through about two dozen random months, and could not find any errors.

Steward of Elvalion
  • Lois Heimdell
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • "All good stories are built on conflict," said the Raven to the Writing Desk.
  • Thank Yous: 1026
08 Oct 2009 09:38 #22 by Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Replied by Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell) on topic Welcome to the new Knight Realms website!

Actually, yes!  The catch is, it's in your browser...

Most browsers let you shrink the text, by going to the View menu - it'll let you adjust it there for the whole site.  Everything SHOULD scale properly to fit.

Or, you just need a new monitor.  :P

Yes, but then the default text shrinks for every other site you visit as well. Constantly changing the font size in your browser is not a particularly good solution.

FWIW I'm having the same type of problem - the forums are really squished - and I'm on a widescreen monitor. I tried to check the forums last night from a lab computer with a standard ratio monitor, and it was not pretty. Side-to-side scrolling is awful. The site is beautiful, but no matter what you do to the font, the sidebars will NOT scale with font.

Also, changing the default font in the browser preferences only changes the font that has *not* been specified with a size. If your CSS says all H2's are going to be point 18, no matter what we do on our end, that header's going to be 18 pt.

I'm sorry for being so critical :-( It really does look very pretty, and I know a lot of work went into it, and probably us people on smaller screen should just suck it up.

----

----
((OOG: Cassie Stanley, Marshal Deputy))
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
08 Oct 2009 09:48 #23 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic Welcome to the new Knight Realms website!
I've noticed on my smartphone, if I goto the forums, everything is skewed slightly and squished.  On my work PC and home laptop, everything looks ok.

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
08 Oct 2009 09:51 #24 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Cassie - Hm, I will re-check the CSS for the forums - I think I know what is happening.  I had to make some last-minute changes before we went live, and I have a good idea as to what happened.

Paul - Not too much I can do about smartphones, until they get a better resolution.

Steward of Elvalion
  • Damien
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
08 Oct 2009 10:23 #25 by Damien (Damien)

Can you specify which ones?  I went back through about two dozen random months, and could not find any errors.

They all seem to be working properly now.  Looks like the bug fixed itself  :P

[hr]
  • Yue Na
  • McBadASS
  • Thank Yous: 3
08 Oct 2009 10:43 #26 by Yue Na (Yue)
Replied by Yue Na (Yue) on topic Welcome to the new Knight Realms website!
Looks really nice. The gallery needs a sidebar 'cause it doesn't all fit in the center. But otherwise kudos

Yue Na

OOG: Jenny

"Do healers get extra powers since ObamaCare was passed?! I was going to tell everyone i cant heal pre-existing conditions. "
08 Oct 2009 11:19 #27 by JamesRanthorII (JamesRanthorII)
Replied by JamesRanthorII (JamesRanthorII) on topic Welcome to the new Knight Realms website!
I am using Mozilla Firefox and have to scroll side to side to see text or pictures.  The other problem I am having is I cannot log out even if my computer is shut down.  Other than that looks awesome great job.

Matt B.

James Ranthor II
Matt B
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
08 Oct 2009 11:32 #28 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
OK, here's the deal... If this is impacting more than a few people, I need details to be able to make a case to James.

If you're having issues with the formatting of the site, please post what resolution your screen is set to - that will help me test it, and allow me to know what needs to be done.

Thank you!

Steward of Elvalion
  • Gallion
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank Yous: 2677
08 Oct 2009 11:53 #29 by Gallion (Gallion)
Replied by Gallion (Gallion) on topic Welcome to the new Knight Realms website!
Im using Mozilla as well and its fine for me. Even if I shrink the window down to half my moniter size its fine. If I start to go smaller though, then I need to scroll.

My only thought is that some people must have their resolution set to the default windows resolution, which is normally giant clunky letters. My resolution is set to: 1600 x 1200 pixels. I realize not everyone has good graphic cards, but usually you can still raise your resolution higher than the setting your computer installs at.

As Geoff said, Anyone who is having the problem of not being able to fit everything on your screen, please post
1) Your Monitor Size
2) Your Current Resolution (While your looking at your resolution, maybe kick it up a notch... ;) )

We aren't re-designing the graphical lay-out of the site again, so I hope we figure this out some other way ;)

- James C. Kimball Director, Knight Realms
  • Lois Heimdell
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • "All good stories are built on conflict," said the Raven to the Writing Desk.
  • Thank Yous: 1026
08 Oct 2009 11:59 #30 by Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Replied by Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell) on topic Welcome to the new Knight Realms website!
15" laptop screen, at 1440x900. This is the largest resolution I can set it.

----

----
((OOG: Cassie Stanley, Marshal Deputy))
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.762 seconds