Professional Photos for the Masquerade Prom… I mean Ball!

• Gallion
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank Yous: 2677
09 Nov 2009 11:07 #1 by Gallion (Gallion)
Professional Photos for the Masquerade Prom… I mean Ball!

At this year’s VGXPO, I met someone who has had a lifelong successful career as a professional Photographer.  His name is Kyle Ober. I have been talking to him about a project for photography for the rulebook. That project aside… I am inviting him to the Masquerade Ball to sell professional photos to anyone who is interested.

I have spent many hours talking with him since VGXPO and he is a very cool and laidback guy. For anyone interested in seeing his work here are some links to his websites.  They are flash-like sites and so I cant link to any of the specific images, but there is a lot of cool stuff there if anyone wants to poke around. On both sites there is a portfolio button on the bottom you click on and it and it brings up a list on the left hand side of the screen.  There is music on the sites so if you are browsing from work you may want to turn the volume or sound off. There is a WizzardWorld section on his main site, that is really cool.

This is his Main Site
www.kyleober.com/

This is his Wedding Site
www.koreflections.com/

He takes the photos at such a ridiculously high resolution, that you can have poster sized prints made and still have the picture be ultra sharp. Unlike most other professionals who charge you based on what the pictures are being allowed to be used for. He is burning the image onto a CD for you and wiping his hands clean, allowing you to do absolutely whatever you want with it.  

I know that we take pictures for free at KR all the time, but there is a crystal clear distinction in quality here. Even I, who pride myself on taking great pictures for KR, don’t feel that my photos could hold a candle to what you would get from this guy.  

Just to put the prices of professional photography into perspective, getting headshots alone normally sell for 500 -800 dollars a session.  I know this first hand, because I paid the top end for my headshots many years ago.  For my 800 dollars, I got about a three hour session, and about four good headshots. While these arnt head shots that you would be getting at the ball, this still puts the price of professional photography into perspective.  

He’s willing to go with really good prices, due to the nature of what we do, and the fact that likely half of our members are college students.  

His prices at the Ball will be as follows:

$15 - One shot burned onto a CD
$25 - Two shots burned onto a CD
$30 - Three shots burned onto a CD

He will have an area inside set up for pictures, but if the weather is nice and still light out, you can opt to do outside shots as well. Also don’t forget you can always do shots with your masks on, and shots without them. Couple shots, or group shots, count as one shot.

Anyway im pretty excited about this, and I hope at least some of you are as well. ;)

- James C. Kimball Director, Knight Realms
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.421 seconds