Greetings all!

• Niistyre
  • Thank Yous: 1
01 Dec 2013 01:46 #1 by Niistyre (Luedyienya)
Greetings all! was created by Niistyre (Luedyienya)
I'm new to LARPING but not to role play . I have always role played evil races especially dark elven. :evil:
I dearly would like to be a Dark elf. but there is "caps. "
Is this because there is many who like to play this race or the lack thereof?
How often are caps on Dark elves made?
Does the cap extend to both evil and good dark elves?

Beth DiBella

oog: Beth D.
  • Niistyre
01 Dec 2013 01:50 #2 by Niistyre (Luedyienya)
Replied by Niistyre (Luedyienya) on topic Greetings all!
Also I'm looking to speak to a few active LARPING dark elves about appearance and makeup that lasts

01 Dec 2013 02:29 #3 by Renji Shintaro (digitaldpad)
Replied by Renji Shintaro (digitaldpad) on topic Greetings all!
Greetings Beth! Welcome to the knight realm page. I'm an extremely new player, only been to two events, but just thought I would say hi and welcome. You might not get any responses till Sunday/Monday seeing as how the "season finally" is going off this weekend, but the awesome people that make up knight realms will definitely answer all your questions, concerns, and anything else you might have. But let me stop my rambling here and say welcome.

~oog: ChrisB~

~An apprentice near a temple will recite the scriptures untaught.~

Renji

(Oog Chris Burke)
01 Dec 2013 09:30 #4 by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042)
Replied by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042) on topic Greetings all!
Welcome to Knight Realms. As of right now none of the races are capped and there are certainly no caps on being evil. That being said the majority of the characters in the game are good and the plots generally run as the characters working together against an outside evil.

So whether you decide to play good or evil, Dark Elf or another race, you should be able to do what you want. I would suggest though that if you plan to be evil that you keep that fact a secret from people out of game as well, its more fun for everyone.

After this event is over I'm sure that a few of our New Player Marshals will drop in to say hi. They will help you get your character created and your background submitted and help you find the right people to talk to for costuming advice.

Best of luck in your journey through Arawyn and welcome again to Knight Realms.

Gunnar Gunnarson, Medicine Man
--
OOG: Joe Hines
Former Development Officer
  • Niistyre
01 Dec 2013 15:56 - 01 Dec 2013 16:03 #5 by Niistyre (Luedyienya)
OOG: Absolutely appreciate the quick replies.

IC: Dearest Valentine Graye,
I did not specify evil or good. (disarming smile) Only mentioned that I had evil and I did mention good.
Sincerely,
Niistyre

OOG: In addition to the variety of dark elven characters I have role played as a half elf who escaped from... somewhere... and them somewhere else. She always seems to get herself into "situations." That being said. I feel welcome already. And I am so excited to start building my costume and adorning my character!

I am aslo part of a trio as of yet they haven't seemed to pick a race and class. But I surely will be Dark Elven. I like the idea of taking on the challenge! I have read A lot of Forgotten Realms books and many other fantasy fiction. I also have background in playing World of Warcraft. Everquest 1 and 2 for over 12 years. And the occasional Shadowrun game.

Last edit: 01 Dec 2013 16:03 by Niistyre (Luedyienya). Reason: there we go!
01 Dec 2013 16:04 #6 by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042)
Replied by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042) on topic Greetings all!

Niistryre wrote: [color=#880000]OOG: Absolutely appreciate the quick replies.[/color]

IC: Dearest Valentine Graye,
I did not specify evil or good. (disarming smile) Only mentioned that I had evil and I did mention good.
Sincerely,
Niistyre

Just as an FYI, you are not actually allowed to post in character until you have attended a game. Additionally This is an out of game board, so in game postings should be posted elsewhere when the time is right. So, that wasn't me posting anything In Character... something I can't do right now either because Valentine is actually dead at the moment. :-)

I'm glad to see your enthusiasm for joining us though. I look forward to meeting you in game.

Joe H.

Gunnar Gunnarson, Medicine Man
--
OOG: Joe Hines
Former Development Officer
  • Niistyre
01 Dec 2013 16:16 #7 by Niistyre (Luedyienya)
My mistake, Condolences for your death! The role play runs deep!
I would absolutely love to be placed in contact with Sir Cinder. I looked for pictures of Dark elves and saw he earned an award and I appreciated his attention to detail and style. Most notably his sword! I would absolutely love to fashion one of similar quality. or perhaps a few weapons for effect. It is quite extraordinary craftsmanship.
In addition to his Armor. Thank you again.

• Onca
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 202
01 Dec 2013 18:43 #8 by Onca (Lorelai)
Replied by Onca (Lorelai) on topic Greetings all!
Beth,

Welcome! I'm Rachel, one of the new player marshals that Joe mentioned. I would be happy to go over some of the differences in Knight Realms lore and Forgotten Realms/ other lores, especially pertaining to dark elves. I could also discuss what it means if you choose to be an evil character vs ambivalent or even good. KR has a fair amount of ambivalent characters who will help when there is something in it for them, but aren't necessarily evil. Additionally, unbranded drow are questioned every month by the barony. There are many people who play racist characters at KR, including one of my characters, and I want to give you fair warning that as a drow, people will 'spit at you', call you names, etc. It may be difficult to come into a new community with such attitudes unless you're prepared for it.

That said, you are certainly welcome to play who/how you want. If you have a backstory idea, the sooner you send it for approval. The email is:

If you have questions/ideas/concerns, I will do my best to answer them if you send me a PM, or you can post them here and any of the new player marshals will certainly get back to you.

Looking forward to meeting you!
-Onca

~ Lorelai Sihnon VonRitter
Huntress of Galladel
Head of House VonRitter of the Witch Hunter Academy

OOG:
Rachel Jump/Onca
(New Player Marshal)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042), Niistyre (Luedyienya)
  • Niistyre
01 Dec 2013 19:40 #9 by Niistyre (Luedyienya)
Thank you for this bit of knowledge Onca. Racist's I can deal with. It is something that happens in real life after all as well. But I am presuming that this racism is likely stronger as people would eye me always with suspicion. I like the idea of being an imposing force just because of my skin color and where I may have once or once not lived. Furthermore how I was raised.... I am Aware KR has different lore and story as Forgotten Realms I was just explaining my background with such characters as being reviled and being full of hate and disdain by all other creatures. And possibly feared. When you say spit. it's role play not actually people spitting ON me? I suppose I'll work on reflexes if such a skill exists to deflect spit! Neutral is also an option? Seeking and getting knowledge as to how I decide my characters persona.
I like being questioned/ interrogated. It adds to the appeal of the role play keeping plots twisting and the role play fun. I've a backstory of course but I'm working on melding some of the lore that I've read about KR and KR's take on Dark Elves. Do Alliances exist? Not that being a Dark elf would or would not deign to join one unless of course it made my purse a bit heavier!

01 Dec 2013 19:57 #10 by Kanas Whisperwood Silverfang (midgetelf)
Replied by Kanas Whisperwood Silverfang (midgetelf) on topic Greetings all!
Hi! I'm Jeremy, and I love when people are interested in trying Knight Realms. You're going to have fun as a drow in the game. About spitting, most people will ask you before hand oog if you consent to something like that. They're not going to do that if you don't want them to do that. We are very courteous and kind people. Can't wait to see you in game!

Kanas Silverfang

OOG: Jeremy Schwartz
01 Dec 2013 20:48 #11 by Appollonius Petrichor (Libraryguy)
Replied by Appollonius Petrichor (Libraryguy) on topic Greetings all!
Hi there!

I know that none of MY characters would spit on a Drow, (Especially not Sir Cinder, he just SCARES me) but out-of-game, I would assume that if someone played a racist-against-Dark-Elves character, they'd surely just make a big show of leaning forth and making a big PTUI! noise with their mouth without ACTUALLY spitting at you. :D

It can be tough to play an "evil" character, if that's what you want. I mean keeping secrets in-game is easy enough, but I think it would be tough to keep out-of-game secrets from being found out in-game. I mean, no one likes to meta-game, but if you were to use a spell or skill against another player, that person is going to know what was done to him or her. I'd love to play an evil character someday, just for the challenge, but that's a long way off. :)

Ambrosius Petrichor
Vassal of Alisandria

OOG: Craig Anderson (purple-haired librarian guy)
  • Onca
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 202
01 Dec 2013 21:16 #12 by Onca (Lorelai)
Replied by Onca (Lorelai) on topic Greetings all!

Ambrosius Petrichor wrote: I would assume that if someone played a racist-against-Dark-Elves character, they'd surely just make a big show of leaning forth and making a big PTUI! noise with their mouth without ACTUALLY spitting at you. :D

This is what I meant, exactly. I just wanted to give you an idea of the reception of the character so YOU did not feel unwelcome, OOG. As for the difference between good, evil, and neutral, while your alignment isn't written on your card like it is in D&D, I tend to think of playing characters using their alignment system anyway. For brevity's sake, what I mean by that is: I have one GOOD character. If I had to classify her in D&D terms, she would be NG or LG. I have one neutral character. I could even classify her as CN or CG, depending on the day/event. There are even 3 neutral gods to worship who are accepted, although sometimes looked down on (like younger siblings, or lesser gods).

So yes, it's entirely possible to be evil, neutral, or good, and the only truly defining acts of this are IG actions and what god you worship. Otherwise it comes down to personality.

I hope that helps!

~ Lorelai Sihnon VonRitter
Huntress of Galladel
Head of House VonRitter of the Witch Hunter Academy

OOG:
Rachel Jump/Onca
(New Player Marshal)
  • Niistyre
01 Dec 2013 21:36 - 01 Dec 2013 21:38 #13 by Niistyre (Luedyienya)
It's just more interesting to me to be an uncertain force of anonymity... Good bad ... neutral it's all relative to ones beliefs!
Yes absolutely clarifies a lot for me. Thanks again!

Last edit: 01 Dec 2013 21:38 by Niistyre (Luedyienya). Reason: in lieu of a post
  • Niistyre
02 Dec 2013 18:39 #14 by Niistyre (Luedyienya)
re: deities is there a list and their practitioners belief systems to abide by I didn't note any in the rule book.

02 Dec 2013 18:55 #15 by Caldor Eirson (Caldor)
Replied by Caldor Eirson (Caldor) on topic Re:Re: Greetings all!

Luedyienya wrote: re: deities is there a list and their practitioners belief systems to abide by I didn't note any in the rule book.

They start around page 197 of the core rule book.

Caldor Eirson,

Gothi and High Priest of Gaia
Wedding Planner, Match Maker,
Vintner
Spiritual Advisor To Kaladonia

~~~~~~
OOG: Jason M.
Deputy Kitchen Marshal
Land System Marshal

Q: How many people does it take to teach a barbarian how to read?
A: 1 knight, 3 squires, and 1 master of the mages guild.
~~~~~~~
  • Niistyre
03 Dec 2013 14:58 #16 by Niistyre (Luedyienya)
Replied by Niistyre (Luedyienya) on topic Re:Re: Greetings all!
OK another question. The gods favor "holy weapons" If that weapon isn't what would really suit your characters class preference does the character have to adopt it any way? or is it a symbol of that diety only? Do you get special skills if you do or don't wield that weapon? Some wouldn't suit what I think my class will be.

If one is a dark elf , also what goodly or neutral classes are they limited to as well I didn't note any information on that. Thanks for the help Caldor!

03 Dec 2013 15:21 #17 by Caldor Eirson (Caldor)
Replied by Caldor Eirson (Caldor) on topic Greetings all!
I'm not a new player marshal or rules marshal, so I can't really give answers to those questions.

I can note that the rulebook lists the starting jobs for unbranded Dark Elves as:
Acrobat, Alchemist, Archer, Assassin, Healer, Mage, Scholar, Spy, Swashbuckler, Thief, Torturer, Warrior (Note: the racial skill "Branded" will change this.)

The skill "Branded" States:
Branded

Skill (Continuous), Social
In addition, the Starting and Prohibited Profession lists are modified so that Priest and Cleric become available as Starting Professions, and Assassin and Torturer become Prohibited Professions. This skill may only be learned with prior approval from the Director or Atmosphere Officer.

Caldor Eirson,

Gothi and High Priest of Gaia
Wedding Planner, Match Maker,
Vintner
Spiritual Advisor To Kaladonia

~~~~~~
OOG: Jason M.
Deputy Kitchen Marshal
Land System Marshal

Q: How many people does it take to teach a barbarian how to read?
A: 1 knight, 3 squires, and 1 master of the mages guild.
~~~~~~~
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
03 Dec 2013 15:26 #18 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic Re:Re: Greetings all!
Holy weapon is for Cleric's skill: Cleric's Weapon (As per deity=the weapon you wield)

If one is a Dark Elf you can find which professions you can start off as and not be, in the description of the Dark Elf race section.

Priest and Cleric, are prohibited for Dark Elves, unless you are Branded (which requires staff approval).

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
  • Niistyre
03 Dec 2013 18:45 #19 by Niistyre (Luedyienya)
Replied by Niistyre (Luedyienya) on topic Re:Re: Greetings all!
OK thank you I thought there was something I was missing! So I have to pick a deity based upon the weapon which my class and race wields?
Sorry my questions may seem redundant.

• Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
03 Dec 2013 19:13 #20 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic Re:Greetings all!
You can pick any weapon skill you have access to. Your deities holy weapon really only matters if you pick up clerics weapon. As that is the case where it is that deities weapon.

Anyone can get 1HE off commoner for example. Even if it isn't on their list such as cleric. The character can learn 1HE since all people have access to commoner regardless what profession they have.

Caelvan Renaith
[hr]
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
  • Niistyre
03 Dec 2013 19:22 - 03 Dec 2013 19:25 #21 by Niistyre (Luedyienya)
Replied by Niistyre (Luedyienya) on topic Re:Greetings all!
Well that's a good thing! I don't think I'll be a cleric. I like more action based roles. Roles that keep me in constant contact with others so I can quickly develop my own character in KR standards. Dark elf can't figure out if she's good evil or neutral.. Speaking of neutral seems there is no real neutral deity. It's either all evil or worse than all evil or love and kindness and selflessness and more love! Can a player not have a deity but lead by their own moral code? or worship more than one?
I'm also interested because I didn't see the other classes a "branded" dark elf can be. I'm assuming also I'd have to be branded if I wished to be neutral. You've all been so helpful. I hope to be this helpful when I get into the swing of things. Pun intended.

Oh 1HE?
And does one always start off a commoner? I'd like to start off with some sort of profession...
Can you have more than one profession?

Last edit: 03 Dec 2013 19:25 by Niistyre (Luedyienya). Reason: clarification
  • Kadin D
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 53
03 Dec 2013 21:41 #22 by Kadin D (Katie D)
Replied by Kadin D (Katie D) on topic Greetings all!
Hey, I'm Katie, one of the New Player Marshals. Just thought I would pipe up to introduce myself and give you a hand. There are three neutral deities. The rule book explains them. There are 4 light, and 4 dark as well. If you need any help with any deity stuff I could give you a hand. You don't need to even follow a deity if you don't like any of them. Just let it fall to role play and where it takes your character.

Physician

Proprietor of the Ashby Family General Store

OOG - Katie DeFranza

New Player Marshal, Safety Marshal
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
03 Dec 2013 21:50 - 03 Dec 2013 22:02 #23 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic Greetings all!
The classes that are "unlocked/locked" can be found under skill description "branded"

You can't start out a commoner. You pick a profession off of your races "starting professions" and can buy skills on that list.

If however there is a skill you want that is not on your list but is on the commoner list you can get that skill.

If it's under "penalized" you can learn it IG however it costs 15 build rather than 10.

If it's under "restricted" you can never learn it.

If it's not under any of those you can learn them and any of your starting professions for 10 build.

You can throughout your game have 4 professions in total.

Sorry didn't introduce myself before though. Names Conor and I'm a new player marshal like Katie.

Caelvan Renaith
[hr]
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
Last edit: 03 Dec 2013 22:02 by Caelvan (Caelvan).
  • Niistyre
03 Dec 2013 23:07 #24 by Niistyre (Luedyienya)
Thank you Katie and Conor who've most recently answered these questions. I read through much of the rule book but I guess I missed some actually I feel like I've missed a lot. All in the learning curve I suppose. Great I can be good neutral or evil that opens more prospects to me even though I'll likely still be experiencing racism as the feared dark elf race. I like the idea of an outsider of sorts! Earning what I get justly or unjustly. As far as build points go .. I suppose from what I decide I'll contemplate and decide as I earn. With so many rules it's bound to lead me to a fair match with most other classes and races. I am hoping...Thanks again.

03 Dec 2013 23:29 #25 by Dame Clytie Silverfang (itsgonnabemay)
Replied by Dame Clytie Silverfang (itsgonnabemay) on topic Greetings all!
Yeah, playing the outsider is fun. I came into game as a Nyad not knowing the racism and stigma regarding them, and for plot reasons, it was a nice surprise. I suppose we'll be interrogation buddies whenever we're both in attendance, won't we?
And do read the rulebook, but don't worry about memorizing it. Everyone along the way will help you out with things you don't understand. Hey, I could do my best too, just look for the blue girl sitting behind the tea.

Dame Clytie Silverfang, the Pegasus
Knight of Travance
Master of the Mage's Guild

OOG- May Leonard
Kitchen Staff
  • Niistyre
04 Dec 2013 14:19 #26 by Niistyre (Luedyienya)
Interrogating? I might like you already! Sounds like fun to me. If you see me! Look for the coal skinned Female Dark elf that apparently will be getting ptui'd on by a lot of races. Though I will surely note their station and appearance. No one ptui's on me and thinks to get away from such an affront. I'm likely to be found indulging of the surface fare and spirits in the company of many strange races. Seeking out more who've since left their darkest of dwellings. One woman I will not be is one who cowers for any race. Whether I decide to be good, neutral or evil.

04 Dec 2013 14:31 #27 by Dame Clytie Silverfang (itsgonnabemay)
Replied by Dame Clytie Silverfang (itsgonnabemay) on topic Greetings all!
Yeah, some get interrogated monthly, both Nyads and Drow being among them. I'll definitely keep an eye out for you, I have the feeling that Clytie and Niistyre will be fast friends. If you ever need any help regarding the larping transition, or honestly anything regarding the game, I'll be happy to be there as well. PM or keep an eye out for the light blue woman bridging racial gaps herself.

Dame Clytie Silverfang, the Pegasus
Knight of Travance
Master of the Mage's Guild

OOG- May Leonard
Kitchen Staff
The following user(s) said Thank You: Niistyre (Luedyienya)
  • Niistyre
04 Dec 2013 14:57 #28 by Niistyre (Luedyienya)
Oh I'll definitely look for you... wait that's meta gaming anywho if we're going to be interrogated because of our respective races I am sure there is a good reason for that. And I'll likely edge toward these beings who are being judged by race. They might be useful for whatever purpose.

• Niistyre
04 Dec 2013 23:22 #29 by Niistyre (Luedyienya)
I've been looking at the deities more for their purposefulness of having one than not having one. It seems a character can become more powerful wielding their "holy" magic than not. Drawbacks to having an evil deity? Despite the face that I have decided without a doubt I will be a dark elf. I'm not sure how much worse a reputation can get if people already assume the worst of me and it actually be true or false.

Do deify or not to Deify? that is the question.

• Goggs
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 226
04 Dec 2013 23:30 #30 by Goggs (coryan)
Replied by Goggs (coryan) on topic Greetings all!
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but right now things are pretty interesting for worshippers of all faiths in-game: the story is that the king of the land has done away with an old law prohibiting the worship of the dark gods (Malyc, Glomm, Galmachis, Agaura) such that doing so is no longer illegal.

So, generally speaking, there's no game-mechanical drawbacks to worshipping a dark god - on the contrary, it'll probably set the stage for some pretty hair-raising RP, as lots of characters who follow the light gods still hold a grudge against worshippers of the dark pantheon, and vice versa!

So just go with whatever you'd most enjoy, basically - though bear in mind that, whichever way you go, members of the opposing pantheon will probably take issue with your character. (There are neutral gods too - Enax, Brazen, and Chronicler!)

- A. C. Goggins
Quartermaster

OOG: Cory W-S
"If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a Maul."
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.680 seconds