New player - from abroad

• DennisS
  • Thank Yous: 26
28 Mar 2016 19:58 - 28 Mar 2016 20:08 #1 by DennisS (DRSNova)
New player - from abroad was created by DennisS (DRSNova)
Hello!

I've been LARPing for 12 years now, mostly in Germany (where I'm from), where I've also helped to organize LARP events for a few years now (plot writer and prop/costume construction).

I will visit the US from end of June until mid-July. Since I'm always interested in experiencing how LARPing is done in different countries, I plan on combining some of the touristy things with participating in two LARPs in New York state (as it might be against forum rules, I won't reveal the other one for now). And I would love one of them to be your June 24th event, if possible.

Well, my first question(s) would obviously be: Is it any problem for a foreign player to join - and join for one event only? I'm perfectly fluent in English, of course, so communication would not be an issue.

Apart from that, mainly some logistical problems. While I own plenty of gear, getting more than the bare basics on a plane (for 2 LARPs and travelling the country for a while) will be challenging, to say the least, even if I buy some stuff in the US (sleeping bag, blankets, etc., and food of course). But this can be figured out, I believe. Still, any help with the "larger items" (say, a spare cot) would of course be very much appreciated.

One other thing: I believe the rules (which for now i have just skimmed over) suggest something like 13th century dress being appropriate- but judging by the photos, I assume anything, say, pre-18th-century would be fine? I would go for something simple (=12- or 13something) anyway, but i though i might just ask to be safe.

Character-wise...no idea yet, I'd be happy to recieve any advice regarding roles that do not require any bulky gear (I'm assuming most fighters), but can/should have lots of "small stuff". Since I will get to fight during NPC shifts, a PC role with a social or supportive character would be perfectly fine with me.

Cheers,

Dennis S.
Last edit: 28 Mar 2016 20:08 by DennisS (DRSNova).
  • Aleister
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank Yous: 1504
28 Mar 2016 20:30 #2 by Aleister (Aleister)
Replied by Aleister (Aleister) on topic New player - from abroad
It is absolutely reasonable for you to join us for one event only! There is no issue if you can't make it out for another event given your distance.

Our campsite provides beds with mattresses, so you'll only need to be concerned over a sheet, blanket, and pillow.

Our costume requirements, depending on what you intend to play, vary from race to race. Though any Medieval/Fantasy era would be reasonable. We tend to be pretty lax about the specific time period, as long as its not modern day dress.

As far as character goes, I imagine you want to get the most out of playing for one event, so having some combat ability wouldn't hurt, but ultimately, the social aspect is the best way to go, which more often does not require a specific class.
But if you are looking for a supporting role type of class, the better options I can suggest to you are: Any crafting class, Scholar, or casters (choosing primarily utility spells)

As we get closer to the event, and you have the time, send me a private message and I will help you get set up for the event!

Lord Admiral Aleister Demirosz, the Phoenix

-Steve Oros
Assistant Director
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), DennisS (DRSNova)
  • DennisS
29 Mar 2016 05:07 #3 by DennisS (DRSNova)
Replied by DennisS (DRSNova) on topic New player - from abroad
Thanks for the quick reply!

I guess I will have a long look at the rules to figure out what's best to play with my particular luggage restrictions - but certainly the character will be human, and most likely Kormyrian.

And sure, I will!

One more question (if it is okay to ask about rule clarifications here): I probably have overlooked it somehow, but I could not find any mention in the core rules what the build cost for the career points (healer points, magic points,...) is - only when they are refreshed, and how many i need for certain effects. Is is 1 point per build point?

Dennis S.
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
29 Mar 2016 06:52 - 29 Mar 2016 07:04 #4 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic New player - from abroad
Hey Dennis, names Conor and I'm a New Player Marshal. First Welcome to Knight Realms! It's always cool to see people from overseas try our game.

As for your questions, I'm pretty sure you're only looking for the first answer in this post, but just in case I'll address all 3 points in your question:

All points are a 1 to 1 build to point ratio

In the spells section under whatever spells you're looking for I.e. Magic, Druidics, Healing, etc. you have the name of the spell and its casting cost.
An example would be for Mage the spell invisibility:

Invisibility
5 MP; Traits: Arcane (Illusion), Caster, Headband (Red)
This spell renders the caster invisible for a duration of thirty minutes. If the caster takes any action that affects another being, the invisibility is dispelled.

So even though the build cost to learn the spell is 3, it costs 5Mp to cast.

All skills and periodic tag skills refresh at the period change, which at Knight Realms is, Sat 6a Sat 6p, Sun 6a.

Hope this helped.

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
Last edit: 29 Mar 2016 07:04 by Caelvan (Caelvan).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), DennisS (DRSNova)
  • Andy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 157
29 Mar 2016 11:51 #5 by Andy (Andy)
Replied by Andy (Andy) on topic New player - from abroad
If you're actually interested in playing a fighter type, but are just concerned about the gear, I'm sure you can find some loaners.

I would post maybe closer to the event date on the Marketplace forum and state what kind of things you'd be looking to borrow. People are usually pretty friendly. I don't have a huge stock, but I can probably offer up a few, some 1HE calamacils and maybe a mace if I still have it.

-Sir Hurgar
Knight of Pendarvin

-Andy
Rules Marshal
  • DennisS
29 Mar 2016 14:31 - 29 Mar 2016 14:42 #6 by DennisS (DRSNova)
I'll have to see - but probably i'd go for anything *but* a pure fighter. You see, rules over here are usually very, very light compared to what i've so far seen in the US (meaning from a few sentences to a few pages). And while the mechanics of playing a fighter would be, in essence, the same - hitting people with long instruments and not get hit in return - we just don't have elaborate spellcasting and crafting skill trees. So I'd rather try something that would be fairly new to me, mechanics-wise. A (non-mundane) healer, a mage, a cleric, a smith, etc.

Still, your offer and advice is of course very much appreciated :-) I will probably bring one of my own weapons anyway - I was planning on building one to take with me on my trip along with my next batch. Latex over LD45 closed-cell foam and fibreglass core with tip guard is acceptable, i hope? I can also go for a softer foam material (evazote, LD33), if you prefer.

Oh, and thank you for the clarification, Conor!

Dennis S.
Last edit: 29 Mar 2016 14:42 by DennisS (DRSNova).
29 Mar 2016 14:36 #7 by Caldor Eirson (Caldor)
Replied by Caldor Eirson (Caldor) on topic New player - from abroad
I'm Jason, a fellow player. As a thought, if you are looking at getting to try different things, the Ranger list has a lot of variety. Casting, fighting and rogue like skills. Cleric similarly mixes casting and fighting. For a one shot character, those might be worth looking at.

Caldor Eirson,

Gothi and High Priest of Gaia
Wedding Planner, Match Maker,
Vintner
Spiritual Advisor To Kaladonia

~~~~~~
OOG: Jason M.
Deputy Kitchen Marshal
Land System Marshal

Q: How many people does it take to teach a barbarian how to read?
A: 1 knight, 3 squires, and 1 master of the mages guild.
~~~~~~~
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mantel (sigma-j), DennisS (DRSNova)
30 Mar 2016 07:55 #8 by Brunner Von Ritter (Martin Bridge)
Replied by Brunner Von Ritter (Martin Bridge) on topic New player - from abroad
Hi Dennis,

My name is Martin and I'm an Australian LARPer who has had a few events at KR already, I will be at the june event, and I'll say hi as well most probably.

Yeah, the fighting here is really regulated compared to the german larps. I would though take a class that has some decent capacity to fight, even just getting a loan sword from someone. Lots of people have additional weaponry. Personally as well, just getting to involve yourself with the larger battles and enjoyable combat encounters is also good. You might even get to RP with me at tower mod (newbie mod) , if I still qualify heh.

OOC Name - Martin Bridge
The following user(s) said Thank You: DennisS (DRSNova)
  • DennisS
30 Mar 2016 13:19 - 30 Mar 2016 16:49 #9 by DennisS (DRSNova)
Oh, you've been to German events before? May I ask which one(s)?

Mhh...I don't know what "mod" means (module?). I certainly read it quite often in the forum. But if there's one that says "newbie", i guess chances are pretty good i'll be there ;)

As per Jason's suggestion, I'm now pretty set on the ranger class - fighting, casting, a bit of healing, and getting to explore the area a bit, i hope. Already ordered new fabrics for the costume (a mix of greens and browns, mostly wool), and have chosen my character's stats.

Also - I understand that one pair of socks will be enough for the weekend? Ah, I might have to reduce that to a single sock even...

Dennis S.
Last edit: 30 Mar 2016 16:49 by DennisS (DRSNova).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mantel (sigma-j)
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
30 Mar 2016 19:29 #10 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic New player - from abroad
Hi, Dennis! I'm Jeff, yet another New Player Marshal (it's our job to welcome you to the game, get you started, and be there for you if you're confused or have questions about how it all works).

DennisS wrote: Mhh...I don't know what "mod" means (module?). I certainly read it quite often in the forum. But if there's one that says "newbie", i guess chances are pretty good i'll be there ;)

Mods are basically quests that you'll be sent out on and yes, there are mods specifically tailored to newer players. However, just because it'll say you're "level 5" on your character card, focus more on doing what your character would do rather than feeling restricted by the lack of skills they're capable of.

Also - I understand that one pair of socks will be enough for the weekend? Ah, I might have to reduce that to a single sock even...

Oh gosh. XD

Pack plenty of socks. It often rains on the campsite and can get rather muddy.

If you've any more questions, feel free to ask!

-Jeff

The following user(s) said Thank You: DennisS (DRSNova)
30 Mar 2016 22:16 #11 by Brunner Von Ritter (Martin Bridge)
Replied by Brunner Von Ritter (Martin Bridge) on topic New player - from abroad
I was actually born in Bavaria, so..I do know a little german. I know of Drachenfest and Mythologie, the larger thousand player events, though I have yet to attend. I know of players who have attended before from Australia though.

And as Jeff said, socks are life. Even during the summer, it does tend to storm or be quite muddy on camp, plus there are streams and so forth so two pairs at least would be ideal.

OOC Name - Martin Bridge
  • DennisS
31 Mar 2016 02:48 #12 by DennisS (DRSNova)
I'm kidding about the socks of course - I already saw them being specifically mentioned in the forum about 100 times ;)

Ah, yes, Drachenfest is where I started. Good memories. There's a british guy organizing trips for international players to Drachenfest and Mythodea each year, taking care of both logistics at and between events as well as providing an IG structure. Saw some Australian and New Zealand players among his "Grand Expedition" as well.

Dennis S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
  • DennisS
31 Mar 2016 18:55 #13 by DennisS (DRSNova)
I hope you're not tired of my questions yet :-) I collected a few more:

From the personal conduct rules:

Age Appropriate Behavior
Knight Realms is a family game, with players 14 and older able to attend without a parent supervising them. Because of this, all players are expected to act and role-play in a behavior appropriate for such age groups.

I guess that what this implies might be obvious to all of you...but I might need it spelled out, cultural differences and all that. So...what exactly should I avoid in the game that's not appropriate for 14-year-olds?

My other questions concern the ranger class:
- Given that their typical living environment, their treatment of nature and their magic would often intersect with those of druids, is there any regular collaboration or familiarity to the extent that some rangers would, for example, naturally wear druidic symbols? Or are both groups very separate entities? In the description of the ranger profession it describes them as their "mystical allies", at least. (Yes, this question is aimed at how i can spice up my garb with any sort of symbols).
- Are rangers typically organized in some fashion? Is there some distant leader, organization, order, guild, etc. that hires and/or trains them, gives them assignments, and all that? Are there common symbols, fashions, gear?
Or are they loners, either self-taught or under the tutelage of a single mentor, just doing what suits them (and nature) best? And gear is simply similar between them because it's just what's practical?
- Since i'm bearded and don't wear elven ears this might not be an issue - but should i take any steps in distinguishing my human ranger from a sylvan elf? I would guess the clothing style is pretty interchangeable.

Dennis S.
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
31 Mar 2016 19:33 - 31 Mar 2016 19:33 #14 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Feel free to add Druidic symbols. Most of the Druids and Rangers are all part of the same Conclave in the Proper.

Right now there is no organization of just Rangers. They work either by themselves or with the conclave.
As for skills, that is a personal role-play choice, you can go back to the same teacher, or you can learn from multiple different teachers.

Yes clothing is interchangeable and the lack of ears should help more than anything else.

Caelvan Renaith
[hr]
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
Last edit: 31 Mar 2016 19:33 by Caelvan (Caelvan).
  • Matt D
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Photographer extraordinaire!
  • Thank Yous: 557
31 Mar 2016 19:52 #15 by Matt D (MattD)
Replied by Matt D (MattD) on topic New player - from abroad
For the age appropriate behavior, minimize the foul language, or avoid it at all if possible. It is so easy to come up with some really creative insults and language without resorting to the stereotypical "curse" words.

The other thing to avoid is blatant sexual comments and references. You don't know what could be a trigger for someone. If you are unsure of any topic in particular, feel free to message me privately. I will also be at new player training the next couple months if you'd like to talk to me there.

A good rule of thumb, watch any American rated PG-13 movie, and if it's there, it's very likely safe to approach.

Elias Ashby
Proprietor of the Ashby Family General Store

Lord Templar Rayven Nightwing of the Order of Holy Light

(OOG - Matt D. - Photographer)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
  • DennisS
14 Apr 2016 03:22 #16 by DennisS (DRSNova)
Small update: Due to a change in my travel schedule, I will now attend the July event instead of the one in June.

And, since i'll build my weapon(s) soon, some questions regarding that:
I'm building a latex weapon (fibreglass core / closed-cell foam). Do you have any rules regarding how much foam needs to be between the core and any striking surface? Or any surface, for that matter? And as for striking surfaces (for anything sword-like) - is there a minimum width? And do i need to fit any part with open-cell foam? You can (at least visually) inspect a few of the weapons I previously built here .

I have seen the weapon construction guidelines, but they seem to mostly relate to boffers.

My new garb is coming along nicely, will post a photo once i'm done.

Dennis S.
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
14 Apr 2016 07:16 #17 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
From that picture your sword looks good in terms of thickness.

However, until we have it in our hands, we can't give a definite answer.

Caelvan Renaith
[hr]
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
  • DennisS
14 Apr 2016 10:05 - 14 Apr 2016 10:05 #18 by DennisS (DRSNova)
That's why I was asking to what specifications I should build the one i'm actually bringing.

Dennis S.
Last edit: 14 Apr 2016 10:05 by DennisS (DRSNova).
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
14 Apr 2016 10:28 - 14 Apr 2016 10:30 #19 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
As much as I don't think you want to hear this, there's really no exact amount of thickness beyond what's described in the "making weapons" section.

I know professionally made ones that are an inch thick and they're fine. I also know of professionally made ones that are 3 inches thick that don't pass because of either how they're made, they need to be broken in before use, etc. or a combination of reasons.

It's all different which is why I said we can't give you a definite measurement for a "most likely to get approved" sword.

Based on the pic, like I said, your swords thickness looks fine. But we can't actually say it's fine until it's in front of us.

Caelvan Renaith
[hr]
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
Last edit: 14 Apr 2016 10:30 by Caelvan (Caelvan).
  • DennisS
14 Apr 2016 11:17 #20 by DennisS (DRSNova)
Alright, fair enough. I'll build it to the specifications of the other LARP i'll be joining, and hope for the best ;)

Dennis S.
  • DennisS
04 May 2016 11:06 #21 by DennisS (DRSNova)
Weapons again:
Instead of building them, another option would obviously be to buy them. And probably donate them afterwards. Are there any brands / particular models belonging to brands that have usually been approved in the past?
And have you encountered the brand "Hero´s Edge" before? (For example: Link )

Dennis S.
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
04 May 2016 11:15 - 04 May 2016 11:16 #22 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic New player - from abroad
There are many brands that are usually approved, but any weapon you bring in would have to be inspected by either a Rules Marshal or a Logistics Marshal. That said, if you have a type and style of weapon in mind, someone could chime in with a weapon that's already been approved.

Last edit: 04 May 2016 11:16 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche).
  • Matt D
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
04 May 2016 14:12 #23 by Matt D (MattD)
Hero's edge is kind of iffy. They have a few models that are essentially hard rubber instead of traditional larp safe foam. That behind said, I have the exact sword in silver you linked. While the density of the foam is approved, you have to be cautious of the pointed tips. As Jeff said it has to be approved when you bring it to game and before it's used, but that model is one of the safer bets.

Elias Ashby

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Mantel (sigma-j)
  • DennisS
04 May 2016 17:47 #24 by DennisS (DRSNova)
I was wondering whether they could be any good, since they semed so ridiculously cheap...I will think about it.

Dennis S.
  • Matt D
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
04 May 2016 18:06 #25 by Matt D (MattD)
They make great weapons for alts, and if treated well last about a year. If you use them constantly, they last about three to six months. I have had mine for 15 months, but have only used them five times in heavy combat (not including sparing)

Elias Ashby

• DennisS
05 May 2016 04:03 #26 by DennisS (DRSNova)
Given that we will use them in two games total, that would certainly be more convenient then taking them with us from Germany.

Dennis S.
  • Mantel
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • No matter where I go. It all traces back to the Mountain.
  • Thank Yous: 226
05 May 2016 05:06 - 05 May 2016 05:08 #27 by Mantel (sigma-j)
Replied by Mantel (sigma-j) on topic New player - from abroad

DennisS wrote: Weapons again:
Instead of building them, another option would obviously be to buy them. And probably donate them afterwards. Are there any brands / particular models belonging to brands that have usually been approved in the past?
And have you encountered the brand "Hero´s Edge" before? (For example: Link )

I've gotten Hero's Edge before, don't bother, they are always as hard as a brick and brittle as an eggshell. Depending on the model of course. I'll defer to Matt, though, since he's familiar with that specific model.

Mantel Warrane (AWz., QMA; AM, WSS)
Grand Librarian Emeritus, Darkwood Academy of the Metaphysical Arts
Professor Emeritus of Weave Studies, Darkwood Academy
Warden of the Keep, Allied Territory of Corvancia

---
(OOG Jean M, they/them)

"How can I be substantial if I do not cast a shadow? I must have a dark side also if I am to be whole." - C.G. Jung
Last edit: 05 May 2016 05:08 by Mantel (sigma-j). Reason: Defer to Matt
  • Matt D
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
05 May 2016 05:25 #28 by Matt D (MattD)

I've gotten Hero's Edge before, don't bother, they are always as hard as a brick and brittle as an eggshell. Depending on the model of course. I'll defer to Matt, though, since he's familiar with that specific model.

You may have gotten the "cosplay" swords. Typical with that company, the more intricate the design, the harder the weapon is

Elias Ashby

• Mantel
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • No matter where I go. It all traces back to the Mountain.
  • Thank Yous: 226
05 May 2016 05:38 #29 by Mantel (sigma-j)
Replied by Mantel (sigma-j) on topic New player - from abroad

Matt D wrote:

You may have gotten the "cosplay" swords. Typical with that company, the more intricate the design, the harder the weapon is

Indeed. "LARP Rapier: Made from LARP Safe foam--perfect for cosplay," my arse!

Mantel Warrane (AWz., QMA; AM, WSS)
Grand Librarian Emeritus, Darkwood Academy of the Metaphysical Arts
Professor Emeritus of Weave Studies, Darkwood Academy
Warden of the Keep, Allied Territory of Corvancia

---
(OOG Jean M, they/them)

"How can I be substantial if I do not cast a shadow? I must have a dark side also if I am to be whole." - C.G. Jung
  • DennisS
03 Jul 2016 11:37 #30 by DennisS (DRSNova)
Hello again! As my visit draws nearer, some new things have come up:

- Since I have to go through customs on my way to KR and it's illegal to import any seeds from Europe (as far as i know), i need to construct my spell packets from some other material.
We don't use spell packets over here, so I have no idea what other bio-degradable material you would commonly use to fill them. Rice? compacted wool/felt? Wood shavings?
Are there any materials other than bird seed that are acceptable at KR?

- Cutlery, plates, bowls, cups, etc.: Is it common for players to bring their own or are they provided?

- My gf will also join and play as an apprentice bard. Is there anything important to know about bards at KR in general - any difference from the classical entertainer or the DnD-jack-of-all-trades? Are they organized in some fashion?

...only 3 more weeks now, and looking forward to the game!

Dennis S.
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.814 seconds