Zombie survival quiz

• Magnus
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In fearful Day, In Raging Night...
  • Thank Yous: 483
27 Feb 2008 21:37 #1 by Magnus (hippy g0th)
Zombie survival quiz was created by Magnus (hippy g0th)
www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/425802

I got a Z+ although the quiz stated me as emotionally out of whack >.<

Matthew Majchrzak

ST

Lord General Magnus

"Not Dead Yet!"
27 Feb 2008 21:50 #2 by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred)
Replied by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred) on topic Zombie survival quiz
I got a B in everything but Emotional rating, which I got an F in... however, I still wound up with a Z +

-OOG Michael Smith
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
27 Feb 2008 22:06 #3 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic Zombie survival quiz
I scored well in most categories except the Emotional (F+).  I was rated Z+.  Not surprising as I own the survival guide.

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
  • Tom
  • Thank Yous: 15
27 Feb 2008 22:15 #4 by Tom (Tomatsu)
Replied by Tom (Tomatsu) on topic Zombie survival quiz
didn't we plan all of this out incase it did happen ??.... CODE BLACK ! lol
-
Tom Polanski-oog

Oog-Tom Polanski
  • Darkhunter
  • making the world safe. One dark elf at a time
  • Thank Yous: 0
02 Mar 2008 16:00 #5 by Darkhunter (Darkhunter)
Replied by Darkhunter (Darkhunter) on topic Zombie survival quiz
Z+, not surprised either.....did get one wrong....choice of firearm.....assualt rifle always....I dont care what it says. You can mount the same scope on a assult rifle that you can on a normal rifle, round capacity most assult rifles fire up to 30 rounds, and have a single shot option aswell as burst. Most assault rifles have a colapsable stock aswell as rail systems for mounting of other gear, Tac lights and such for use at night or in low vis area's.  Not to mention you put a simple CCO such as a aimpoint sight or m-68 reflex sight, that zero's to the weapon, not the shooter, macking it possible for any person to use with limited knowledge of firearms.

Bjorn Triplethree

**OOC**
Rob
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
09 Mar 2008 16:59 #6 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic Zombie survival quiz
Z+ with all As, one B and an F in Emo.  Sory, Rob - shotguns are the bomb.  Pumps in particular with 8 round mags.  I'm a 90% skeet shooter, so hitting some shuffling Zombie would be a piece of cake.  Shotguns are point and click weapons as well, and with OO 12 gauge magnums, at 25 yards a head shot is a guaranteed hit.

Of course, if you have trained withj an AR, that would be your weapon of choice, but give me my Ithaca Pump (I'd settle for the Remington Wingmaster in a pinch), my Ruger .22 (no kick, easy head shots at 50 ft) and a 9mm S&W just for grins and I'd be one happy guy. 

Nothing, however, beats a Louisville slugger for home defense.  Maybe the hot chick who has no weapon expertise but has the guts to hang tough can carry the extras.  Am willing to teach shotgunning...

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
  • Atrus
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 92
10 Mar 2008 17:07 #7 by Atrus (Atrus)
Replied by Atrus (Atrus) on topic Zombie survival quiz
Z+

~Atrus
"Only those who have endured the greatest suffering can become the greatest people."

John
Marshal
  • Darkhunter
11 Mar 2008 17:44 #8 by Darkhunter (Darkhunter)
While the shotgun may seem like a appealing weapon....I dont see it that way. perhaps against living, since the spread patterns of certain rounds....but against zombies, shuffeling or otherwise.  To do any serious damage to render therm incapacitated or dead, you would need to be close. There not clay pigeons you know.

I aswell shoot trap/skeet, am okay at it. I have carried a shotgun in combat, but again, it was more of a breaching tool (opening doors) then anything. Slide actions against zombies it worthless....it is a proven fact that any living being on this earth that heards the rack of a shotgun slide, looses atleast 3 sizes in there testicular region of confidence...zombies would care if you racked it once or eight times...there still going to come at you....perhaps a semi-automatic shotgun, with either one shot, two shot, or room sweeper.

but then you run into the round capacity.....8+1 in chamber....them your out and have to reload...which means digging out rounds, unless you have a side saddle, and sliding them one by one in....to time consuming.

assualt rifle, 30+1....from 5.56 Nato up to 14.5mm for some....after expending a magazine. simply press the magazine release to drop mag. pull out and insert new one, press bolt release and fire. way significant time diffrence....a trained person can do a mag change in two ways...simple drop the old (pointless and wasteful you will need it later) or slip it into a magazine dump pouch, or clip it to a d-ring.  we will go with saving the mags for later use.....a trained person can do this in a matter of 8 seconds at worst, 5 at best. (trust me, most soldiers can tell you,  Grunts practice this stuff)

now you were also talking about distance...50 ft? to damn close IMO. with a shotgun, sure...ive done combat shotgun lanes, aswell as combat pistol lanes....ranging from targets  at 10m (30 feet) out to 20 m (60 ft)....thats its really....cant hit much after that, and even if you do...you wont be accurate or effective.

with an assult rifle...we will say the Army's M-4 Carbine...with just plain iron sights, I have never shot less then expert...which on a pop up range is  36 out or 40 targets, ranging from 50m (150 ft) to 300m (900 ft).  at a KD (known distance) range, the standards are 38 out of 40. from 300, 200, 100 meter distances.\
The Marines, who still uses the good ole musket (M-16) rifle, practice from 500 m (1500ft). Now...while I am not saying you will be plugging head shots at that distance with it...you can still reach out and touch them.

anything under 200 meters with a CCO (close combat optic) such as M-68, ACOG, EO-Tech....is easy to drill head shots with consistently.

sorry to make it long winded, but IMO an assult rifle is by far the better choice.

Bjorn Triplethree

**OOC**
Rob
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
11 Mar 2008 19:09 #9 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
The reason the assault rifle doesn't rate as high as a hunting rifle is the psychological impulse to go semi-auto or full auto.  Ammo conservation and controlled head/knee shots are desired when fighting the undead. (Why knee? Because some rounds do enough tissue damage that you can blow the knee away along with the lower leg. Slowing a zombie down by making it hobble on a stump increases survival).

Shotguns are good for close quarters, which is NOT the distance you wanna be at with a zombie.

Vassal of Alisandria
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
11 Mar 2008 19:21 #10 by geezer (geezer)
I can get 9 shots off faster with the pump than with the semi-auto.  Hold the trigger as yu rack it and it keeps firing.

Using .50 sabot rounds in a shotgun increases the accurate range to 100 yards, or so the ded dear show me.  It requires a special rifled barrel, but who cares if you rip through them.

I can reload a shotgun in about 20 seconds, but remember Rob, I mentioned the hot chick.  She can reload while I empty the nine shots I have.  If she holds the second gun, that gives us 18.  I guarantee within a week of hanging around me, she will be able to hit something.

Test fired a Thompson a few years ago in the backyard.  Its reputation for inaccuracy is somewhat undeserved if firing single or three shot bursts.  Full auto you have a problem staying on target.  However, when that .45 hits a zombie, if it doesn't rip of a limb or something, it will stop them in their tracks (ask the Maori).  50 round drum provides lots of firepower.  Heavy as all get go.

Just appropo for nothing, Erwin Rommel hunted gazelle in N. Africa with an assault rifle, commenting that he wanted meat, not sport.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster

• Darkhunter
11 Mar 2008 19:53 - 11 Mar 2008 20:05 #11 by Darkhunter (Darkhunter)
Okay big diffrence between semi auto and full auto, semi auto means 1 shot, and the weapon reloads itself, with out you having to manually chamber another round. As far as psychological impulse? dont buy it, I carry a assualt rifle on a daily basis and have never had the urge. Even in the firefights I have been in, I have never even switched my weapon to three round burst have always used Semi, and I train my men the same way. I can fire three shots in rapid succession on Semi and always place all three rounds center mass of the target I am aim for.  Or do the two in the chest one in the head everyone hears about.

Hunting rifle....commonly found store bought to state regs. can hold 5 rounds with on in the chamber.

Assualt Rifle... run of the mil gun shop bought to state regs, has only safe and semi-automatic (1 shot for those not to gun savy)

Hunting rifle.... tweaked by a gunsmith or similair, maybe a magazine well giving you the capacity of 5 extra rounds, 10 +1.

Assault Rifle... run of the mil infantry grunt, safe, semi-automatic, 3 round burst. (only weapons that the army has that fire full auto are the light machineguns, SAW's, and Heavy machineguns.) The only people in the US army that have fully automatic assualt rifles as AWG (Asymetrical warfare Group)

Now yes, people have the misconception of the power behind Spray n Pray....sure you will hit things....might aswell use a shotgun then. and that you need to do Controlled knee/head shots....again the reason why a assualt rifle is  semi-auto...single shot...easier to do controlled pairs ot tripple taps ((two in the chest one in the head)). and you can do it with more ammo without reloading, and seeing as most assualt rifles are built now to have collapsable stocks...in smallers areas then it is to try and wield a hunting riflle still beats out hunting rifle IMO.

No matter what anyone says. The assualt rifle will be the better choice in my mind. I can hit targets as far as a hunting rifle can, or be used on targets in a close quaters enviroment.

Now Charlie, 20 seconds is slow. I dont know if you have ever been in a situation. I can tell you, 20 seconds is a LONG LONG time.  Even with a second person loading...you will go through rounds faster then she can load.

Im not saying I wouldnt have a shotgun around...its a great tool, and room clearer.

But you can bet that the best place for most of the non-combatants in the world, is with Infantry or other Combat arms  jobs....

i know with my men, everytime we go outside the wire...its the safest place to be

Bjorn Triplethree

**OOC**
Rob
Last edit: 11 Mar 2008 20:05 by .
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
11 Mar 2008 20:50 #12 by geezer (geezer)
But you are not fighting zombies in confined quarters, Rob. :).  If I was at the sharp end of the stick, I'd go with what you do.  Thompsons had a brief resurgence in Vietnam, where its brush penetrating abilities were valued.  If I was going to have a self defense weapon in Jamaica, it would be both a Louisville Slugger and a 12 gauge Ithaca pump with #2 shot.

Yes, 20 seconds is forever in a fight, but how many zombies will there be in the room?  Zombies shuffle, not run, and their evasion skills are - lacking. 

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster

• brik
  • whatever
  • Thank Yous: 14
11 Mar 2008 22:04 #13 by brik (sonya)
Replied by brik (sonya) on topic Zombie survival quiz
I got Z+, which is totally ridiculous, but i KNOW if there was like a zombie apocalypse I would last like a day maybe  :'(

oog - sonya m.
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
11 Mar 2008 22:30 #14 by geezer (geezer)
Not true, Sonya.  You would hide under an afghan and they would never know you were there. :)

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster

• Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
11 Mar 2008 23:12 #15 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
It differs person to person.  The quiz is based off the book, and the author believed the hunting rifle was a better choice.  Myself, I don't have enough shooting experience with many different weapons to tell a difference.  I've gone to firing ranges, but just to blow off steam or practice knowing how to properly fire a weapon.  Mostly pistols and some light target shooting with a small .22 rifle.

As for the .45 and such... that's a heavy round, but if you hit a zombie in the chest with it, it'll knock it down... then the zombie will get back up with a gaping hole in the chest and keep going, supposedly.

As for the impulse/urge... you carry a rifle on a regular basis.  You're comfy with them and don't panic in combat.  Joe Average grabs a assault rifle from some corner gun shop when the zombies come and he sees the "shuffle o death" approaching... he's going to play Rambo, go full auto, and hope that spraying enough bullets will down all those zombies.

My preferred method is the cheeze-slicer hallway.  Let the zombies funnel into a hallway with thin filament wire at neck and knee level.  The mindless undead will decapitate and amputate themselves as they shuffle through.  Of course, to get them to do that would require bait and making sure there was only 1 way through the hallway and that there was a safe escape exit, just in case.

I still plan on my emergency procedure, which is grab a boat laden with supplies and go a few miles off shore.  During the daytime, goto shore, grab more supplies and rest.  At sundown, cast off a few miles and keep a vigilant watch for any zombies walking the ocean floor that try to climb up water buoys or other such to get close to my boat.

Vassal of Alisandria
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
12 Mar 2008 09:42 #16 by geezer (geezer)
For long range shots, thee is nothing like a hunting rifle, but how to see at night.  I do not have night ision goggles, which I know is stupid of me what with all the zpmbies roaming Bucks county.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster

• Darkhunter
12 Mar 2008 17:53 #17 by Darkhunter (Darkhunter)
agreed on the spray and pray, and that Im comfy with carrying a weapon, Ive been doing it for most of my life. anyone that has used a rifle to hunt, or gone to a range will understand basic fundamentals of marksmanship and ammo conservation.

Dont agree with the hallway trick though, a static wire might not be the best idea.....perhaps one the snaps down, but that would require moving parts and it would have to be rest, unless it can do it both ways. then you run into the  clean up, eventually all those bodies are going to need to be disposed of. but I dun know if just shambling through a static wire would cause the effect you want....I know it will cut the skin, but how long to cut through bone?  what about zombies of differnt hieghts too? this is something well have to figure out.

dunno, about the boat idea either...you would still have to be anchored or you would drift constantly? what about bad weather and severe storms?

I would probaly Build a area....with several means of deterrant, and would have to say I would treat nost of it like being in the military...you have a gaurd shift you pull your duty, you get tasked to go on patrol you go on patrol. Perhaps get enough assests to barricade off a town or such. It would have two, maybe three, main entrances/exits  that are heavy fortified and defended.

i wonder if a simple chainlink fence , properly placed is deterrant enough? I could just wax them through the link. and use homemade incidearies to burn em....idea's idea's.

Home defense? .40 cal H&K USP Compact, with Hydra-shock rounds. If that is deemed ineffective, then yep..12gauge pump, loaded with rippers (nickle size discs) or roomsweeper.......or if Im feeling nice salt shot. hurt like a bitch and you would rather wish you had been shot for real.

In a Zombie world, you can be I would be well armed, and well coordinated. My choices for fire arms are as such.

Long Rifles:
1. Barret .50 cal - dont have to worry to much about being dead acurrate. a shot to the chest removes upper chest cavity, and does severe spinal damage. Has a magazine well which allows for magazine capcity and is semi-automatic, no need to cycle a bolt. But is heavy and requires more to use...best used for long jobs with no immediate threat. you can hit shots close to 2,000 meters away.
2. Remington 700 or the equivlent. bolt action,Has a floating barrel  allowing for better accuracy and smoother fireing.  can be adapted to house a magazine allowing more shots.  it is generally light weight and fires a 7.62mm round, which has stopping power and can tear through bones with little problem. it is we
3. M-14 or Modified M-14. yes the old vietnam rifles are still around, has the same round as number two and magazine well, and fires semi auto. jams to easily though and is not to accurate

assualt rifles
1) H&K G36-C. Germany's battle rifle of choice. it fires a 7.62mm and has a 30 round magazine. I folding stock allows it to compact for confined area's. The G-36 is also mudular and chambers and barrels can be swapped out with ease for differnt calibers. it can be fired, semi, 3 round burst, or full auto
2) P-90 is a very very compact (almost classified as submachinegun) but fires a NATO 5.56mm. its comoact frame makes it ideal for close quaters, or from a vehicle use. but teh design of the frame gives the user complete control and accuracy.
3) M-4 carbine (perferablly with a m203 40mm grenade launcher) most comfortable in my hands right now. great qualities your looking for in a assult rifle. draw backs...its gas operated...can double feed or not full discharge the empty cartige. if you know what your doing this isnt a problem and a 3 second step gets you going again. the 40mm, no dont worry Im not going to go rambo and launch grenades....I would use a buckshot round...picture a shotgun ground but bigger...we have em...they hurt like hell when you fire but it will clear a swath. No to mention I can fire Illumination rounds to light up the way at night if need be.

there you go, now you have my choices...everything but the G36-C I have  trained on, and used briefly....I hope to get to use a it here soon as we have some AWG's that have them and we work with them from time to time.
anyway there you go

Bjorn Triplethree

**OOC**
Rob
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
13 Mar 2008 07:14 #18 by geezer (geezer)
Interestingly enough, my hunting rifle is a 7mm Remington Magnum.  I'm no pro, but anything up to 200 yards always went down.  Sadly, Bucks county changed to shotgun only about ten years ago.  Never used a .50 rifle, but I did fire a Weatherby .458, IIRC.  Commonly called an elephant gun, it fires a one ounce projectile. 

Pitfalls and such, goopy stuff like the La Brea tar pits.  Zombies are not bright.  Think propane - or natural gas.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster

• Atrus
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 92
13 Mar 2008 09:29 #19 by Atrus (Atrus)
Replied by Atrus (Atrus) on topic Zombie survival quiz
Just to touch on that boat idea, it sounds really nice at first, but if a hurricane comes along and trashses my boat, I'm gonna feel like a schmuck for drowning, or getting washed ashore.

~Atrus
"Only those who have endured the greatest suffering can become the greatest people."

John
Marshal
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
13 Mar 2008 09:55 #20 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
True, the draw back of the boat idea is storms and the anchor line.  However, as a first action, it isn't too bad.  Depends on what the long run aim is.  Pure survival... take the boat to an isolated area, and get started on building a really good, long term shelter/home.

The razor wire hallway would require maintenance (cleaning out the corpses) and the wire would best be replaced by sawing cutting blades.  It doens't matter if they are loud or obvious, as mindless undead would just keep shuffling forward until they hit a wall or some other obstacle.  Varying heights would be a good move.

If I truly had the resources and ability for a zombie-proof home, I would design one and have it built.

Vassal of Alisandria
  • Darkhunter
13 Mar 2008 15:32 #21 by Darkhunter (Darkhunter)
yes, as would I. But then again, I also think of the  other side of the coin, have to make it work against live people too, you dont think everyone out there is gunna be a good person do yea? Protect whats yours I say.

I would have no quams about shooting someone 2k out to save me the hassle of vetting them and letting them in my community only to learn there a rapeist or child molestor or such....at which point I would tossem to the wolves(zombies) with a gun and one round.....better make it count.

other then that...thats about it. I am willing to teach people the finer arts of military shooting and tactics if anyone ever has the need to learn.

Bjorn Triplethree

**OOC**
Rob
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
13 Mar 2008 16:47 #22 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Rob, if you're ever in NYC, I'll be happy to let you teach me the finer points of marksmanship at whatever local range is available.  As I said, I've fired a gun for fun and relaxation, not for training or skill.

Protection against the human waste (dregs of society that were lucky enough to survive) is another matter entirely.  To get into whatever safe community I am in when the Zombie-pocalypse hits would require some heavy duty proving on their part.  If they fail, no gun with 1 round.  If they survived so far on their own when we found each other, they can go back the same way... on their own.

Vassal of Alisandria
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
14 Mar 2008 15:18 #23 by geezer (geezer)
Living in the sticks has its plusses and minuses with Zombies.  Posittive is all my neighbors have and know how to use firearms.  Negatives is lots of large windows.  Could not handle them if they had wrecking bars and such to get thrlough whatever I had over the windows, but if I had some advance notice of zombies really existing, I would put steel bars over the windows, like the place in Jamaica has.  Come to think of it, I would go there.  With a steel reinforced concrete house and steel bars, I could shoot at them all night without fear of them getting inside.

The local scavengers would dispose of the bodies before they smelled to bad, or I could cut some bamboo and make pyres.  Bamboo could also be used to make spears to thrust through the bars.  Unlimited supply.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster

• Daedri
  • Thank Yous: 1
14 Mar 2008 17:20 #24 by Daedri (Daedri)
Replied by Daedri (Daedri) on topic Zombie survival quiz
In a zombie scenario I already have a fortress basically prepared and a means to deliver substantial supplies to it. I own several different firearms, including among the most useful a semi-automatic 30-06  rifle (stopping power at 300+ yards) and a  20 guage shotgun.

I can accomodate comfortably 6 four person tents in my fortress.

My first instinct would be to go to local stores as quickly and efficiently as possible gathering  a truckload of non perishable food which still provides a good mix of protein, iron, carbohydrates, fats and vitamin C. That is parked in an abandoned municipal pool parking lot, from there my friends and their ATVs deliver the supplies into the heart of the state park in a small valley with two opposing 'bases' on either hill.

One is fully enclosed with a 9ft wall of solid timbers and shooting platforms behind.  The other is wide trench WW1 style surrounded by piles of rough timbers and branches and brambles in the center is a raised platform 'treehouse' with walls on all sides and gun ports.  If using real firearms these two positions would have a withering crossfire in the valley between them and on the sides not facing one another there are sheer rockfaces and steep hills which a completely unemcombered human can barely access let alone a bumbling moaning zombie.

Before anyone begins to worry or continues to worry about why the hell I spent months and months of my and my friends time making this its because I really like to play a scenario paintball game there and every year we improve on the structures and repair them.

Reasons why the positions are strong:
1) no road access means very little human and thus very little zombie traffic.
2) the steep hills have very sparse tree cover in the immediate area, which means about 100 yards of relatively clear shooting.
3) high animal traffic means human scents would be masked or lost in a matter of days.
4) Spring fed brook  brings water down the valley even during the hottest months of the year. (still needs to be boiled)
5) Hunting fishing and gathering as a supplement to food, raspberries in the summer could give an army of humans all the vitamin C they need. drying the berries makes them available in winter.

Forseen weaknesses
1) Human vs human battles. My town is mostly large developements now with people who work in NYC, but there is a significant hillbilly population. If they notice or find out where my little haven is they will probably attack for supplies when they get desperate. Humans with guns are even more dangerous than zombies.
2) Logistically keeping everyone who I invite busy, fed and content. And keep them from searching for family or friends outside.
3)If a large wandering zombie horde were to randomly stumble upon my remote location their bodies may quickly pile up next to my wooden walls and render them useless. This is a worst case scenario in which there would have to be several hundred to several thousand zombies.

- Above all , im ruthless . Any beggars that come looking for aid better be really useful and know what they can do to improve our situation. If they found us they stay or they die, any living people who leave could tell other living people where my camp is an compromise it.-

In the event of zombie disaster, bring what supplies and weapons you can, Pallisades parkway north in NY  exit 15 , turn left, second street on your left will be nearly a U-turn. Go down that road to the end, make a right at a T, cross a small stone bridge, on your left will be a large gravel parking lot, pull in and shout the word 'Cucumber' a contact will escort you to the fortress.

That is all.

Daedri Elensar
Shipwright to the People

Craig Odell
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
14 Mar 2008 17:42 #25 by geezer (geezer)
bag the 20 gage and get a 12.
Buy reloading equipment for your weapons.

Bag the 30-06 and get an M1 surplus.  Semi-auto, five shot clip, penetration is great and the accuracy was such that the marines gave up their beloved 03 Springfield to use it.  Higher capacity clips are available on the aftermarket.  Cheap and easy.  The carbine version, though short range, is one of the most ubiquitous weapons in the world.  The Cheapas uprising used them in the 90s.

Consider a tripod mount for a weapon if you are ensconced in a fortress.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster

• Daedri
  • Thank Yous: 1
14 Mar 2008 18:24 #26 by Daedri (Daedri)
Replied by Daedri (Daedri) on topic Zombie survival quiz
Admittedly the 20 guage is a bird gun and we all know those dont kill people.  Cheney is thankful for this.

If I make the trip to my grandmothers house she has my grandfathers M1, great condition as it wasnt his service rifle.

If I was to arm my trusted compatriots I would choose similar weapons, M1, kalashnikiovs, simple elegant designs, easy maintainence. My first project would be to cut down the undergrowth for hundreds of yards around, as well as any large trees. Using them to improve the perimeter wall, make it higher and bracing it from the inside against what could be the weight of several dozen zombies piled against one side.  (time to bust out cad) Need to find the compression  and shear strength of dried untreated Birch wood. I would also probably create several pickets  in expanding rings around the  main walls.

In this sort of fashion:    Where the lines reprisent shoulder high braced wooden brricades.
  __________________            _________________   

________            __________________          _____________

_________________              _________________

Weaving back and forth between these will exponentially increase the amount of ground these things have to cover to get to us while still keeping their pretty little zombie heads exposed to fire.

I reference the movie 'Zulu'  for a perfect example of the effectiveness of this technique. Its also just a great movie.

Options for keeping people busy and feeling safe are these construction projects, which build muscle and a secure feeling as well as 2 man patrols of the perimeter and 2 man watches.

Simple tin can tripwire alarms at about 5' high  will allow all native animals to pass under them while most humans would set them off.  Child-zombies and uncommonly short zombies  will be dealth with by other means.

Daedri Elensar
Shipwright to the People

Craig Odell
  • Magnus
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In fearful Day, In Raging Night...
  • Thank Yous: 483
14 Mar 2008 19:06 #27 by Magnus (hippy g0th)
Replied by Magnus (hippy g0th) on topic Zombie survival quiz
my only usefull skill is i run REALLY REALLY FAST for a long time, and i can cook >.<

ya i aint getting into most safe bases 

Matthew Majchrzak

ST

Lord General Magnus

"Not Dead Yet!"
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
14 Mar 2008 20:49 #28 by geezer (geezer)
We send you out to get ammo :)

Craig - start to worry when the zombies moan in unison and take a coordinated step forward.  More on Zulu, read something about Rourk's Drift.  Lots of Victoria Crosses earned there.  Great battle to recreate in miniature.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster

• Darkhunter
15 Mar 2008 19:03 #29 by Darkhunter (Darkhunter)
Nice Idea, serious draw back....getting supplies in and out....ATV's sound great. But youll need gas. what are you planning on using a power source?  again need gas. You will spend more time coming and going getting what you need to sustain daily for a small group.

My plan, as bad as this sounds.  Take and Clear a prison. One still rather intact. Clear it of its undesirables (most likely zombies by now)
Prisons have everything you need kitchen facilities laundry facilties, etc. Most prisons have generators that power them. Could be an issue, could not..depends on group size.
Prisons generally come with stocks of weapons, great starting point for arming those in your group.
Prisons were built to keep people in, plus side to that....that construction also keeps people out. Tall fences, security gates, lock down switches. Most prison allow for vehivles to enter and exit though way points...would have to be secured and manned...but if you only using one....you can lock up the others.
Prisons have towers, great observation points, they are also generally clear of view for a great distance around them. They also have some of the best lighting, so no problems seeing at night.
Radio's, Phones, Computers (for as long as they keep running after the apoclypse)

Now how I would improve?
Armoured vehicles (either actual, or made afterwards) would need these to get around when foraging for supplies.
A means of mass escape should we get over run. (I will Know how to fly helicopters by then, so perhaps having one staged near by in one of the yards)

Now ofcourse I would need people to help run the place, and a staff to help maintain the vehicles/generator/property and such, gaurds to help man gates and towers. and Foragers to go out and search for needed supplies.
I would have to have medical staff...who job would also include, checking new people for bites or those returning from a trip outside. Good part about being in a prison.....containment cells. If someone refuses a search, they either go outside the wire, get locked up for observation or get shot.
I would need people good at hotwiring vehicles so we can aqquire good vehicles to use on daily ops, also as a means to escape if need be.

Honestly a helicopter would be a good scouting tool, the upkeep and needed fuel would be a requirement...

the big Draw back....more people.....more risk.

Bjorn Triplethree

**OOC**
Rob
  • brik
  • whatever
  • Thank Yous: 14
18 Mar 2008 19:35 #30 by brik (sonya)
Replied by brik (sonya) on topic Zombie survival quiz

Not true, Sonya.  You would hide under an afghan and they would never know you were there. :)

i hope you realize that the first death I take is going to be on the first night you don't lend it to me !

oog - sonya m.
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.955 seconds