AVATAR, I wish more larps were like this.

• Corvin Ralenfolly
  • The Good Looking Ralenfolly
  • Thank Yous: 43
15 Feb 2010 00:59 #1 by Corvin Ralenfolly (SteveM)
AVATAR, I wish more larps were like this. was created by Corvin Ralenfolly (SteveM)
James, I know you had Purple Elves, can we have Blue Elves?

Corvin Ralenfolly

Steve M.
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
15 Feb 2010 01:12 #2 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic AVATAR, I wish more larps were like this.
That one was off the Geek-o-meter.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
  • Tyra Silverfang
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • I eat dark god babies...
  • Thank Yous: 0
15 Feb 2010 02:26 #3 by Tyra Silverfang (Pracika Nightwing)
Replied by Tyra Silverfang (Pracika Nightwing) on topic AVATAR, I wish more larps were like this.
that was amazing lol i  would totally be all for it :-P

"There is a difference between a hero and a coward. A Hero wakes willing to risk death. A coward wakes wishing for it."

OOG: Adi
  • Radu Dragovic
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • -Death is but a Door-
  • Thank Yous: 1
15 Feb 2010 02:30 #4 by Radu Dragovic (Radu Dragovic)
Replied by Radu Dragovic (Radu Dragovic) on topic AVATAR, I wish more larps were like this.
I want to punch half of these people.

Radu Dragovic-Guild Grave Digger and Carpenter of The Black Orchid Merchant Company

-Death is but a doorway, we are richer to of know you and luckier still to have called you friend-

OOG: Jeff Mclean
  • Elawyn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 177
15 Feb 2010 07:38 #5 by Elawyn (Elawyn)
Replied by Elawyn (Elawyn) on topic AVATAR, I wish more larps were like this.
Only half?

Defend the Land for it is the Base of the Pillar,

Elawyn Featherthorn Brightstar
Acolyte of the Circle of Ten & Chosen of Fey Lord Tillion
Guardian of Belladeen

---
OOG: Kristen M.
  • Tiriel
  • Banned
  • Banned
15 Feb 2010 08:28 #6 by Tiriel (Tiriel)
Replied by Tiriel (Tiriel) on topic AVATAR, I wish more larps were like this.
The LAST thing KR needs is giant, blue, elven treehuggers.

Plus, they are all dead.  You see when those survivors of the massacre got back to earth, the governments didn't take it too kindly.

Can you say "exterminatus"?

I knew you could  ;D

T

Brother Tiriel Tellinghast
Valrkirin Urulokion, in service to Lord Blackthorne
Turin MacLeod (NPC)

Terry
  • Gallion
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank Yous: 2677
15 Feb 2010 17:31 #7 by Gallion (Gallion)
Replied by Gallion (Gallion) on topic AVATAR, I wish more larps were like this.
This Video was awesome thanks! :)

I havn't seen the movie yet... but I have a feeling its going to make me want to chop down a forest :)

- James C. Kimball Director, Knight Realms
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Feb 2010 17:36 #8 by
the toilet paper says "classy."
  • Thorgrim Ironfeld
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Half of an analysis....is anal.
15 Feb 2010 17:53 #9 by Thorgrim Ironfeld (MitchC)
Replied by Thorgrim Ironfeld (MitchC) on topic AVATAR, I wish more larps were like this.
Wow.....I'd heard of people who watched that flick and had Pandora-envy but just Wow!

OOG name: Mitch
Master Runesmith of Pendarvin

Don't let the grey hair fool you...wait scratch that...DO let the grey hair fool you.
_____
I make leather armor and various items for sca, larps and dagorhir. Here's my photobucket: s297.photobucket.com/albums/mm233/mc1csmo/
  • Gallion
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank Yous: 2677
15 Feb 2010 17:58 #10 by Gallion (Gallion)
Replied by Gallion (Gallion) on topic AVATAR, I wish more larps were like this.
Im like 80% sure the clip was made as a joke... in which case it was awesome!
If it was serious... well... then im gonna keep quiet... :)

- James C. Kimball Director, Knight Realms
  • Erdrick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 161
15 Feb 2010 18:15 #11 by Erdrick (Erdrick)
Replied by Erdrick (Erdrick) on topic AVATAR, I wish more larps were like this.
I see you James Kimball.

Lord Erdrick Brightstar
Guardian of Belladeen
(Samuel Roberts)
15 Feb 2010 18:39 #12 by Linneth_Nalleme (Linneth_Nalleme)
Replied by Linneth_Nalleme (Linneth_Nalleme) on topic AVATAR, I wish more larps were like this.
Warning: There is also a movie coming out that is based around a LARP...It's not going to be good...for anyone.

OOG: Grace Borum
  • FleaAdelaide
  • Behind every damsel is a fire-breathing dragon.
15 Feb 2010 18:46 #13 by FleaAdelaide (FleaAdelaide)
Replied by FleaAdelaide (FleaAdelaide) on topic AVATAR, I wish more larps were like this.
Now, see, that actually looks good, though I see how it'll give LARP a really bad reputation.

Auburn Blessing

"All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think, we become."  ~Buddha
  • Thorgrim Ironfeld
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
15 Feb 2010 18:51 - 15 Feb 2010 18:53 #14 by Thorgrim Ironfeld (MitchC)
Replied by Thorgrim Ironfeld (MitchC) on topic AVATAR, I wish more larps were like this.
It was only a matter of time...sigh. The world at large (ie the mundanes) already think larpers are nerdy no-life losers (and Role Models didn't help!) but now a flick like this will return the stigma to the days where people thought d&d players were devil worshipers who will go balistic, kill and sacrifice others and who can't distinguish between the game and the real world. Oh...the lost progress!!!

I'll still likely see it though lol.

And did anyone catch all the calimacil weapons (including the axe I want).

Don't let the grey hair fool you...wait scratch that...DO let the grey hair fool you.
_____
I make leather armor and various items for sca, larps and dagorhir. Here's my photobucket: s297.photobucket.com/albums/mm233/mc1csmo/
Last edit: 15 Feb 2010 18:53 by .
  • Edward Walker
  • Let me cut to the point to get to the heart of the issue.
  • Thank Yous: 15
15 Feb 2010 19:06 #15 by Edward Walker (Liam)
Replied by Edward Walker (Liam) on topic AVATAR, I wish more larps were like this.
I can only see that movie going poorly for LARPers everywhere

Doctor Edward D. Walker

OOG:
Liam Neary
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
15 Feb 2010 19:12 #16 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic AVATAR, I wish more larps were like this.
Occasionally, after the hordes of gawkers and assholes come through, a few people actually join games when they see what's really going on.  It's happened before with SomethingAwful.com and KR, and Fark.com - I would not be surprised if it happened again.

Still, expect a lot of new people to sign up for the forums and a few (OOG) trolls to post for a few months.  Just don't fall for them. ;)

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
  • Thorgrim Ironfeld
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
15 Feb 2010 19:18 #17 by Thorgrim Ironfeld (MitchC)
Hah, I have a friend who works in film (and is one of my old larper buddies from way back) and saw this at Sundance. He said it was awesome but it won't help larper stigma any.

_____
15 Feb 2010 19:33 #18 by deepthought (mire)
Replied by deepthought (mire) on topic AVATAR, I wish more larps were like this.
Nothing says connected to nature like toilet paper eywa. They couldn't use a willow tree? I don't remember seeing a fat bearded Navi in avatar but I'll roll with it.

Ryan

Mankind united with infinitely greater purpose in pursuit of war than he ever did in pursuit of peace.
  • Jack
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Pi is exactly 3
  • Thank Yous: 308
15 Feb 2010 20:18 #19 by Jack (Keeperofdice)
Replied by Jack (Keeperofdice) on topic AVATAR, I wish more larps were like this.
My thoughts:

Avatar:  I wonder how they phys rep the mounts.  Do they just get some guy with fairy wings on and have him piggyback them around the park?  Heh heh.

The Wild Hunt:  Oh dear god.  This is not going to end well.  Not at all.    I foresee this ending with a protest group outside of a KR event one day proclaiming how D&D and LARPing makes you drink beer and listen to rock and roll.  Well that's about it for me.  So i'm off to go enjoy some Guiness while listening to Black Sabbath.

-Gus-

Ser Jack Siefer
Knight Of Drega'Mire
Head of Research & Development of Kormyre
Sky Marshal
Captain of the K.A.S. Tarrasque

OOG: Gus M.

“Men learn from their failures. I prefer to learn from the failures of others..”
"Sometimes what the world doesn't need is a hero. Sometimes what it needs is a monster."
  • Tiriel
  • Banned
  • Banned
15 Feb 2010 21:27 #20 by Tiriel (Tiriel)
Replied by Tiriel (Tiriel) on topic AVATAR, I wish more larps were like this.
Again, do some research.  The Wild Hunt is gathering rave reviews at the festivals it has been shown at... last count was 90% positive from viewers I believe.  Gve the public some credit for recognizing fiction from fact, and accept the fact the hard-core conservatives are always gonna hate on us, so who cares what they say anyway?

At this point in time, any recognition in mainstream media can only do us good, look at Role Models, Monster Camp (and all related LARP documentaries), etc.  All of which, while being recognized as off the beaten path, have generated a lot of LARP interest and mostly good will.

Now if (when) the day comes that some nutjob goes crazy in real life, and starts carving people up in his LARP costume... well that's gonna suck.

T

Brother Tiriel Tellinghast
Valrkirin Urulokion, in service to Lord Blackthorne
Turin MacLeod (NPC)

Terry
  • FleaAdelaide
  • Behind every damsel is a fire-breathing dragon.
15 Feb 2010 21:46 #21 by FleaAdelaide (FleaAdelaide)
Replied by FleaAdelaide (FleaAdelaide) on topic AVATAR, I wish more larps were like this.
My favorite part of the trailer is how rapidly it seems to change genre. It starts off as some epic LOTR-esque madness, then an offbeat comedy, then some quirky coming of age indie film, and then it suddenly makes a turn into horror. Very intriguing.

As far as whether the movie may or may not be controversial, I think one of the commenters on the video itself said it best:

"I'm a LARPER (Amtgard) and I think it looks like it will be a good movie. If people can't figure out the difference between reality and fantasy, then they will actually think this movie is non-fiction. If this holds true, we don't want them to be part of LARPING anyway, because they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between fantasy and non-fiction in the first place."
-verzen, youtube comment section

Auburn Blessing

"All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think, we become."  ~Buddha
  • Thorgrim Ironfeld
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
15 Feb 2010 21:48 #22 by Thorgrim Ironfeld (MitchC)
All you need are the morons in gov't who target video games as everythign wrong with our youth (oh no...its never the parents who don't do diddly to actually...well...parent!) to take up the cause vs this, just like they did back in the early days of tabletop.

I'm glad little by little its becoming more mainstream, even if used as a punchline in movies/tv shows and in dark drafts. But yes, all you need is one kook.

_____
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
15 Feb 2010 22:35 #23 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic AVATAR, I wish more larps were like this.

All you need are the morons in gov't who target video games as everythign wrong with our youth (oh no...its never the parents who don't do diddly to actually...well...parent)

Actually, if you look at the ESRB... it started in 1994.  The ESRB was brought about due to parents complaining about videogames to people in government.  Videogame companies created the ESRB as a way to show they cared about parents and kids.  The ESRB isn't controlled by the government and is totally voluntary.

I am sure we all agree that the AVATAR larp video was a great, funny parody for people to laugh at and have fun with.  As for the Wild Hunt... it's a new take on a horror film.  Just like horror films that start off with the "college research kids @ the abandoned insane asylum", this takes a group of people in a situation that can easily go off the deep end due to 1 or 2 people going nuts.

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
15 Feb 2010 22:56 #24 by Ded Dawg O'Doul (Mohammad)
Replied by Ded Dawg O'Doul (Mohammad) on topic AVATAR, I wish more larps were like this.
All I can say is that three generations of my family LARP and have a ball doing it   From age 67 (my wife and I ) three of my children (30 to 48) and four grandchildren ( 2 to 18)  Yes I said age two./  We enjoy this and realize that one must separate fact from fiction even though the RP gets pretty intense at times .  

The BSA Camp where we are building our Medieval village has the lucky presence of Marv Huffman  He was the BSA Properties Director and helped design and build  the BSA   Dan Beard Cub World noted in another thread by Paul. Y

When we first came to our little BSA Camp in Michigan City, many of the BSA personages thought we were crazy and did not want their scouts to be exposed to a bunch of Wierdos who run around swinging swords.

However in the five years we have been there, and have built the things we promised, many of the nay sayers have either become interested or at least tolerant

To wind things up
What ever will be, will be ,, We can but present ourselves in as good a light as we are able

As Charlie says "An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching"

If we continue doing that, then the ill winds of the alarmists and naysayers will fail and we shall rise in Victory

We hold in our hands the harvest of what we have sown in Hope. Do we sow for Good? or for Evil?

Ded Dawg O'Doul

OOG = Dave Sullivan Sr; Indiana

Kanarak=VC999 Institutional Head
PC = Ded Dawg O'Doul. Inn Keeper
NPC = Huh! The Dumbest of the Ale Belly Ogres
  • Odo Garaath
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Back and Ready For More!
  • Thank Yous: 12
15 Feb 2010 23:01 #25 by Odo Garaath (Odo)
Replied by Odo Garaath (Odo) on topic AVATAR, I wish more larps were like this.

Again, do some research.  The Wild Hunt is gathering rave reviews at the festivals it has been shown at... last count was 90% positive from viewers I believe.  Gve the public some credit for recognizing fiction from fact, and accept the fact the hard-core conservatives are always gonna hate on us, so who cares what they say anyway?

At this point in time, any recognition in mainstream media can only do us good, look at Role Models, Monster Camp (and all related LARP documentaries), etc.  All of which, while being recognized as off the beaten path, have generated a lot of LARP interest and mostly good will.

Now if (when) the day comes that some nutjob goes crazy in real life, and starts carving people up in his LARP costume... well that's gonna suck.

T

I can see something where half the people are "it's a game' and they get burned or hurt or etc, and these other guys are psychos.

"Praise be to Enax, and blessing to his followers."

(Tom Senger )
  • BalindorIN
  • Thank Yous: 13
16 Feb 2010 16:47 #26 by BalindorIN (BalindorIN)
Replied by BalindorIN (BalindorIN) on topic AVATAR, I wish more larps were like this.

Im like 80% sure the clip was made as a joke... in which case it was awesome!
If it was serious... well... then im gonna keep quiet... :)

The Avatar clip is listed under Comedy  btw...

Pelinderian,

OOG: Jeff Mininger
  • Paige
  • Est July, 1202
20 Feb 2010 20:38 #27 by Paige (Paige)
Replied by Paige (Paige) on topic AVATAR, I wish more larps were like this.

That one was off the Geek-o-meter.

yeah it really was... made my head hurt, i couldnt watch the whole thing...

Templar Paige N. Merlot Darkheart of the Kindred Oak

"Act not in hatred or in spite
Even if it means your life"

Heather ~OOG Human
  • JoDios
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • That guy with the muffin hat.
21 Feb 2010 06:19 #28 by JoDios (JoDios)
Replied by JoDios (JoDios) on topic AVATAR, I wish more larps were like this.
It seems its just one rogue faction in the trailer that goes nuts.  Looks like it might be good though.

OOG: Jo
  • brik
  • whatever
  • Thank Yous: 14
21 Feb 2010 22:01 #29 by brik (sonya)
Replied by brik (sonya) on topic AVATAR, I wish more larps were like this.
that's hilarious especially the end where he's all up on the flower LOL

oog - sonya m.
22 Nov 2010 23:23 #30 by Jurgur'mosh Goretusk (MattF)
Replied by Jurgur'mosh Goretusk (MattF) on topic AVATAR, I wish more larps were like this.
HEY, if we get giant blue elves who protect the Forest, then i want a gnomish technology mech suit to blast them out of their trees damn it lmao

Jurgur'mosh GoreTusk
free orc
(OOG-Matt F)
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.752 seconds