Fancy Bottles and Props for Sorcery/Cermonies/Alchemy!

• Elawyn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 177
22 May 2009 16:00 - 22 May 2009 16:04 #1 by Elawyn (Elawyn)
The Project:   Every year or so I try my hand at a different craft or prop.  I’ve sewn simple things, made and painted weather proof horns, and assembled “sorcery kits” with accompanying stained and lined boxes.  This year, in my small interim between classes, I have decided to try my hand at creating various glass bottle props that can be used for rare components in sorcery, alchemy, and ceremonies, or just for simple decoration.  I have a variety of these decorated bottles made to be sold at the next two events during Marketfaire, and if there is interest, following events I am able to attend.  I am also quite willing to take commissions, explained below.

I have made these props generic enough that even with future rules changes to higher lists, they could still maintain their usefulness.  I have also attempted to only make props that can be used for more than one rare component.  For instance, the bottles of “ashes”, of which five different types are required throughout the sorcery rituals, can double as bottles of “marble dust”, and the jars of white feathers could be used for any one of the three feather types required in sorcery, ceremonies, and alchemy.  The same goes for the bottles of “water” or “tears”, a few of which can be seen below. 

Composition:   All of the jars are able to be opened and closed, their contents removed and replaced, while some of the bottles have been sealed shut with wax in order to give them a more interesting appearance.  All of the jars and bottles have a fleur-de-lis sealed into its cork and sometimes the side of the bottle, and each has at least one charm or bead – usually more – tied around its neck with colored cord.  The pictures below do not do them justice.

Prices:   There are four price brackets for these bottles, based on the wax work, type of bottle, and style/number of charms used in their decoration:

The Simple Bottles are $4.  They have nothing inside, but can be filled with whatever you wish. 
ravenskiss.deviantart.com/art/Simple-Bottles-1-123346472

The Detailed Bottles sell for $6.  These have greater detail and wax work, and their components are more interesting.  The small blue bottle is made to be a bottle of “tears” or “water”, and is actually empty and sealed shut.  The other bottles could be used for whatever you wish, including the representation of rare or common water components, sorcery dust (colored sand), or glitter, and the jar could even be used to hold loose tea or herbs.
ravenskiss.deviantart.com/art/Detailed-Bottles-2-123347280
ravenskiss.deviantart.com/art/Detailed-Bottles-1-123347093

The Prop Bottles sell for $8.  These have multiple charms and decorations, and are made to resemble a specific type of rare component.  Pictured are two bottles of “ashes”, the darker one possibly of vampire or banshee ash, and two jars of white feathers.
ravenskiss.deviantart.com/art/Prop-Bottles-1-123347583
ravenskiss.deviantart.com/art/Bottles-of...t-Ash-quot-123348090

At the moment, there is only one Fancy Bottle, and it is only a sample due to the higher cost of both its base bottle and the charms used to decorate it.  The one pictured could be commissioned for $15, although a $12 version could be made with the use of a less expensive charm.
ravenskiss.deviantart.com/art/Fancy-Bottle-1-123348855

Custom Work Requests: 

Deadline for Requests:  I will be accepting limited custom work requests, but they must be made by the end of the May 29th Alternate Event.  I will then have your bottle ready for you during the First June Event, either OOG before the event or IG as my PC.  Because I will be attending a Summer Language Institute starting the Monday after that second event, I am unsure if any other work will be able to be done this summer. 

Empty/Filled Bottles:  Any of the empty bottles can be filled with any color sand for a small additional charge, and can be sealed or left with the ability to be opened.  Glitter is possible as well, but may carry a slightly larger expense, depending on the size of the bottle.   If there is any specific “component” – pictured or not – that you are looking for, I would be happy to see what I can come up with.  Contact me ASAP.

Color/Charm Options:   Most of the bottles pictured can be remade with different colored cord or various charms.  A few of the bottles come from my own collection and I am no longer able to find them, but most are still able to be found.   I will have some “blank” bottles at the event with a few cords and charms on hand if you’d like one made during Marketfaire.

Wax and Sigils:   All of the bottles are marked with the fleur-de-lis in silver wax by default.   If you wish, I could make a bottle with different color waxes or sigils.  Wax options are silver, red, gold, and white (as these are easily found locally for me and could be gotten in time).  There are two options for the use of other sigils.  One possibility is that you choose from the following list of sigils, and I will buy the appropriate seal to use for the project, and then sell it to you for cost ($5) for your personal use.  Possible alternate sigils are a rose, a set of bells, or most letter initials (I noticed the craft store is lacking a select few initials, but I may still be able to find them with some searching).  A second option is that you provide your own wax seal for me use in the making of your bottle during the event or between the May and June events to be returned to you at that June event. 

Please PM me with any QUESTIONS, COMMENTS, or COMMISSIONS.  Thank you!

Defend the Land for it is the Base of the Pillar,

Elawyn Featherthorn Brightstar
Acolyte of the Circle of Ten & Chosen of Fey Lord Tillion
Guardian of Belladeen

---
OOG: Kristen M.
Last edit: 22 May 2009 16:04 by .
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.429 seconds