Latex Hammers - Suggestions?

• Thorgrim Ironfeld
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Half of an analysis....is anal.
  • Thank Yous: 0
09 Jul 2009 21:20 #1 by Thorgrim Ironfeld (MitchC)
Latex Hammers - Suggestions? was created by Thorgrim Ironfeld (MitchC)
I'm most certainly going to get the Skrow Calimacil Hammer but curious if others have tried or even own any Latex/Foam Hammers that might have feedback on and would direct me to for additional options. I plan to have two for obvious reasons, and I'm looking for something that doesn't have a huge head and is well balanced. The sword phys-reps I've seen in latex are far more wieldly than the hammers and even mace reps are better balanced. I would do better combat-wise with a sword, but a Hammer is far more fitting for my character. Sadly, most that I try, even the Cal version, are so head-heavy that I could swing 3 sword swipes for each full hammer blow.

Another consideration is length. Calimacil has frozen custom work for the time being (great timing for me!) so I'm limited to a 32" weapon, and I would like a 36-38" at the very least. Its one thing to buy into getting a slower rep, but its a double wammy with a shorter one as well.

The larp world doesn't often balance out the effects of blunts over blades (I've never seen a game that has done this, but roleplay is paramount so its not a priority lol). Given that, I'm on the hunt for a quality latex/foam hammer and would welcome any suggestions (links!) that anyone has as to where I could find one. Feedback if you own one is very appreciated too.

Thanks so much!

Mitch

OOG name: Mitch
Master Runesmith of Pendarvin

Don't let the grey hair fool you...wait scratch that...DO let the grey hair fool you.
_____
I make leather armor and various items for sca, larps and dagorhir. Here's my photobucket: s297.photobucket.com/albums/mm233/mc1csmo/
  • Malon Loom
  • Fuzzy Panted Satyr!!!
10 Jul 2009 05:59 #2 by Malon Loom (defron)
Replied by Malon Loom (defron) on topic Latex Hammers - Suggestions?
hello. I own a warhammer, and I have to say, I love it, it MAY seem a little unweildly at first, but other then that its probably a good buy. Now keep in mind, they are not cheap, but heres where I got mine.

www.badgersden.com

OOG: Dalton Miller

IG:
Malon Loom- Satyr Bard/Druid
  • Thorgrim Ironfeld
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
10 Jul 2009 07:30 #3 by Thorgrim Ironfeld (MitchC)
Replied by Thorgrim Ironfeld (MitchC) on topic Latex Hammers - Suggestions?
This the one you have? www.badgersden.com/Store/index.php?main_...299&products_id=1241

Its not too costly, especially when you consider Calimacil prices :) Is it very head heavy? How durable? The article seems to indicate it needs upkeep (ie regular silicone spraying) but I wonder if that goes for all latex weapons. THX

Don't let the grey hair fool you...wait scratch that...DO let the grey hair fool you.
_____
I make leather armor and various items for sca, larps and dagorhir. Here's my photobucket: s297.photobucket.com/albums/mm233/mc1csmo/
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
10 Jul 2009 09:41 #4 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic Latex Hammers - Suggestions?
Everyone has their own preffered weqpon vendors when it comes to that sort of thing.  So keep in mind all I am about to write down is my personal opinion only...

I have a great relationship with the Iron Liege group and they have usually been my #1 (& #2) people to goto for weapons.  A few of the KR folks have the Iron Liege weapons.  Some like the work, some don't due to a history of core breakage.  I have never had that issue as well as it was Iron Liege that made my glow-wire weapons.  As for the Iron Liege blunts, some of them can be found on the Iron Liege website .  We have some players who use them & I haven't heard any issues with them.

If you met Geoff Schaller's smith character, Gideon, you may have seen his hammer.  It's not a large, broad head, but more of an English warhammer used for armor puncturing.  Small, focused head on top of a somewhat narrow squarish hilt.  It looks nice and I've never heard Geoff (or his opponents that he hits with it) complain about the weapon.  It's decent length (1 handed or maybe even minimum bastard length?).  That weapon came form a Canadien company called Nemesis I think?  I particularly like this weapon of his as it looks like, feels light, and looks like the most realistic, streamlined blunt hammer weapon I have ever seen.

If you're looking for a blunt hammer weapon that's not going to kill your wrist/hand swinging it and is not problematic for fighting, then go with something like Geoff's small-headed, battering/puncturing hammer.

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
  • Thorgrim Ironfeld
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
10 Jul 2009 10:10 #5 by Thorgrim Ironfeld (MitchC)
I'm currently trying to connect with Iron Liege, but not getting thru lol. I hear from Geoff that the guy is overloaded, so might be a bit. The link you posted i've seen, but those are mace reps, and I need a hammer. I love Mace, and they are usually better balanced but Brazen's weapon of choice is a hammer :)

I haven't seen Geoff's other hammer from IL. I have seen his bastard length Calimacil though, and though its too short, I plan to get the 32" skrow to start. I wonder if that is what you are referring to. I have contacted Ateliers Nemesis but haven't gotten word back yet regarding getting a hammer made. They have a spike-backed hammer that looks nice, from their catalog, but I'd prefer no spike.

Thanks again and keep suggestions coming. I'm not in a rush, and I'm sure I'll get an alt hammer rep to compliment the Cal one eventually.

Best,

MC

_____
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
10 Jul 2009 13:36 #6 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic Latex Hammers - Suggestions?
I only know of 2 hammers that Geoff has.  1 is from Nemesis, which is a short, large headed mallet looking hammer he uses for RP of his smithing.  His bastard length combat hammer (as I described in my prior post), was also from Nemesis (I thought).

Iron Liege does get very busy, as the staff there have other careers and projects they work on, like movie & tv sfx, marketting prop manufacturing, and specialized custom items made for a number of different people.  Give them some time, and I am sure they will get back to you.

The main question that should be asked is... how long do you want to have this hammer?  Are you looking for a quick weapon to have now until you decide to get a customized made hammer?  or are you lookign for a hamemr now to have and continue to use for the rest of the character's larping career?

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
  • Thorgrim Ironfeld
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
10 Jul 2009 13:59 #7 by Thorgrim Ironfeld (MitchC)
Oh 100% certain his bastard long hammer is Calimacil, because I've talked to him directly about hit, held it, and I'm about to buy the standard version. I did hear back from Nemesis, also all custom work on hold. Oh well, I guess I'm hitting them all up prime time, so I'll have to wait, which is fine by me :) If I could find a standard one that fits what I'm looking for, I'd snatch it up right away. I'm looking for one with a smallish head to help with balance, some counterbalance at the bottom of the handle, and 36-40" length. 32" is borderline but the Calimacil is just so damned nice looking I can't pass it up!

I'll just be patient. I'll get a prime one for now and worry about a custome job later when everyone starts doing it again in the fall :)

Thanks again,

Mitch

_____
  • Malon Loom
  • Fuzzy Panted Satyr!!!
10 Jul 2009 16:53 #8 by Malon Loom (defron)
Replied by Malon Loom (defron) on topic Latex Hammers - Suggestions?
no problem..as far maintenence, i believe all of them need some maintenence, some more then others i would imagine. But yes, it is the one I have. hopefully you posted the link you wanted.

OOG: Dalton Miller

IG:
Malon Loom- Satyr Bard/Druid
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.462 seconds