Downloadable rulebook?

• Darmok
  • Thank Yous: 0
13 Jul 2008 13:03 #1 by Darmok (Darmok)
Downloadable rulebook? was created by Darmok (Darmok)
Heya, I was looking to perhaps start up with your game (used to LARP up in CT where I lived until last year).  When I moved here I 'gave it up' for a while, but finally have the itch to try something out again.  I tend to like to be over-prepared, so I was looking to download the rulesbook, but that part of the page doesn't seem to have correct links for me.  I'm not sure if its browser based or something, or if they just aren't available like that.  I am working my way through the online rulebook but that means I'm tied to a PC - I wanted to have some sort of hard copy to flip thru (call me old fashion).  I know the issue with hard copies is they quickly become out of date, so I can see you not having one.

I suppose I should toss out the other question, I'm one of those 'old school' gamers (read that, not one of you young teen or twenty-somethings!).  What is your average demographic spread age-wise?  :)

Hoping to be able to NPC for the next event July 25th to get a feel for the system/playstyles and stuff!

- Vince

OOG:  Vince
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
13 Jul 2008 13:42 #2 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic Downloadable rulebook?
Hiyas and welcome aboard.  I think each part of the online rulebook as a .pdf version you can save.  If you look at the upper right corner, you'll see a small .pdf icon.  Right-click it to "Save as..." and you should be set.

If you have any rules questions, feel free to ask in the Rules forum and one of our official marshals or deputy's can answer them for ya.

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
13 Jul 2008 13:48 #3 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Downloadable rulebook?
Hello!

As the Webmaster, I'd actually like to see a downloadable one myself - I am keenly aware I can't reach my own website in the middle of the woods!

We're in the (ongoing) process of revising the rulebook at the moment, however, so as you noted, a "dead tree edition" would be outdated quickly.  We're working towards the goal of a stable, hardcopy edition, but it is still a long, long ways off.

As for age demographic, I'm mid 30s, and we have young'uns (14+) all the way up to 40s & 50s involved in the game.  Yes, some of us still remember filling in the numbers on our first d20 with the included crayon...

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
  • Darmok
13 Jul 2008 14:43 #4 by Darmok (Darmok)
Replied by Darmok (Darmok) on topic Downloadable rulebook?
Ok, ya got me with "filling in a D20 with a crayon".  ;D  I did that...  Granted, I was very young at the time, but I know what you mean when you say that, which is probably saying a lot.

As for a hard copy, heck, the new 4E D&D rules had errata within 1 week of release, and not just typo/wording, but actual rules clarifications.  So I can guess your pain at trying to have a hard fast version 'finalized'.

I'll slog on through the rules more.  Probably won't have any questions til I actually go through a game, seeing things in person is worth 1000 words and all that.  Thanks for the speedy replies all though!

- Vince

OOG:  Vince
  • hecknoah
14 Jul 2008 00:41 #5 by hecknoah (hecknoah)
Replied by hecknoah (hecknoah) on topic Downloadable rulebook?
Wow, the included caryon - I remember that also.

Noah
  • Clove
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 35
14 Jul 2008 16:55 #6 by Clove (Mark)
Replied by Clove (Mark) on topic Downloadable rulebook?
idk what your talkin bout with the crayon included, i grew up on 3.5.

but anyways, what parts of the rule book are you looking at? skill descreiptions, class lists, races list, ect? depending on what it is it may not be too bad to print out a couple pages(if ya take the time to chop it down in word a lil first), couldnt tell ya how many times i printed out lists, trap system, spells, all of that just to give me something to do n think about in study hall. if your looking at it in a whole then sry i can be more help

OOG-Mark B
14 Jul 2008 22:17 #7 by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred)
Replied by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred) on topic Downloadable rulebook?
And if you want to try to slay the dragon, pull a number from the bag.

1 or 2, go to page 23
3 or 4, go to page 42
5 or 6, go to page 69

Page 23:  You pull your sword out of your sheath, the sound awakens the dragon, who immediately kills you.  You are dead.
Page 42:  You sneak into the dragon's lair, only to notice the dragon waking up, you quickly dive back into the hall where you came from, turn to page 13
Page 69:  You sneak up on the dragon, and notice that there is a chink in his scales, what do you do?

If you try to stab the dragon where it's missing a sheath, go to page 23
If you decide to go back and tell the men in Laketown about the dragon's missing scale go to page 57

The only question is what page can I turn to to get a fully revised d/l-able rules copy too!!  The one I made for myself a few months ago already needs revision.

-OOG Michael Smith
  • LStarling
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Cursed Healer
  • Thank Yous: 20
14 Jul 2008 22:19 #8 by LStarling (Kwildar)
Replied by LStarling (Kwildar) on topic Downloadable rulebook?
If you're still having issues with grasping the basics of the rules, and want to see it all in action without committing to a character for rules you're as of yet unfamiliar with, I highly recommend NPCing your first event.  You'll get to play a variety of characters (Not all just monsters and such) And get to see how the rules work in a very 'real' sense.

--
Lawrence Starling -- IG
"Really, bee! I don't smell flower-y!"
Malcolm Mallardi -- OOG
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.506 seconds