LARPer exchange

22 Jul 2008 03:14 #1 by warriorsmurf (warriorsmurf)
LARPer exchange was created by warriorsmurf (warriorsmurf)
Hi! I'm Susan. If you've been at the last two Dexcons or Dreamation, I'm the blue girl who plays Mystic Realms. I love your game, you set the bar really high for immersive roleplaying and amazing props and costumes.

So it looks like I'll be going to the August event one way or another. I can't wait! But I'm a little worried about makeup -- I've only done makeup for short periods of time or indoor events. Any tips and tricks for keeping your paint on when it's ungodly hot out?

Susan G.
Subversive blue people are the best kind of people
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
22 Jul 2008 07:35 #2 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic LARPer exchange
A couple of tips:

* Use a Barrier Spray or Liquid Setting agent to help lock the makeup in place.  Ben Nye's "Liquiset" is what I use (I was the black cat in armor - I know what you mean about sweating in makeup!)

* Wear a body suit or other layers to A) reduce the amount of makeup you have on, and B) to wick away sweat and keep you cool, so you don't sweat more.

That's a start - I am sure other people can help as well!  (hint, hint!  ;) )

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
22 Jul 2008 07:49 #3 by Michelle my belle <3 (marisolmichelle)
Replied by Michelle my belle <3 (marisolmichelle) on topic LARPer exchange
A body suit does amazing things in the heat, use it, you won't regret it. Plus it'll cut shower time virtually in half. If you can't find one, try using light fabric long sleeves, again it helps. 

Never, and I mean never, be afraid to ask kitchen staff for water, those of us who wear makeup need it like 458349058 times more then those who don't.

The only thing I can suggest for makeup longevity aside from good makeup is of course, carrying a mirror with you and checking it. I check mine twice as much during the day then I do at night, if you play a race that requires makeup, it's nice to look the part.

Since I'm assuming you mean on the face, since that's the part that seems to sweat the most, try to double up layers of makeup, pay extra attention to details, etc. it'll come in handy at 5am if you don't have to recoat your whole entire face  rather just splotches under your eyes and forehead.

Hope I helped.
  • Gallion
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank Yous: 2677
22 Jul 2008 08:19 #4 by Gallion (Gallion)
Replied by Gallion (Gallion) on topic LARPer exchange
I used to set my make-up with baby powder and a large powder puff. This makes it so you can touch your face without it rubbing off, but you need to bring some type of good soap to get it off. You might also think about a lighter shade of blue so if some wipes off its less noticeable. There are a good number of players who have done nyads so maybe they can help if they see this.

- James C. Kimball Director, Knight Realms
  • JoDios
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • That guy with the muffin hat.
  • Thank Yous: 0
22 Jul 2008 10:24 #5 by JoDios (JoDios)
Replied by JoDios (JoDios) on topic LARPer exchange
When I played a goblin briefly, I used that barrier spray.  It works wonders.  Dry makeup over cream makeup seems to work better/feels less heavy.

OOG: Jo
22 Jul 2008 11:25 #6 by Alexandre Blythewood (Eleventh Phoenix)
Replied by Alexandre Blythewood (Eleventh Phoenix) on topic LARPer exchange
Hey, Susan!  Glad you'll be able to join us in August!  In case anyone else from KR is interested, Matt Magnus and I are planning on trying out Mystic Realms in August (hence the 'exchange' from the title of this thread) and we'd love to have some others join us.

As for the makeup, I have one suggestion.  No matter how hot it is, wear gloves!  I find it nearly impossible to properly paint my hands green when I play a goblin.

See you in August!

-Alexandre Blythewood

OOG: Zach Theis
  • Elawyn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 177
23 Jul 2008 16:43 #7 by Elawyn (Elawyn)
Replied by Elawyn (Elawyn) on topic LARPer exchange
The best bet, and then it all depends on your skin type as well, is to layer liquid makeup with a layer of dry cake makeup on top, followed by barrier spray if that works on your skin - you should experiment before the event.  I find barrier spray doesn't work well for me, but many people find it works wonders.  The cake will act like a setter for the liquid, as well as add a color dimension to your skin.  If you still find it a lil smudgy, add a layer of baby powder or setting powder with a puff.  While it seems like a lot of makeup, it will help to keep you from having to reapply a ton of times through the event.  The suggestion of a mirror, and carrying at least the cake makeup with you as well, will look completely IG for you to apply and keep you looking good all event. 

Hope you enjoy yourself!

Defend the Land for it is the Base of the Pillar,

Elawyn Featherthorn Brightstar
Acolyte of the Circle of Ten & Chosen of Fey Lord Tillion
Guardian of Belladeen

---
OOG: Kristen M.
25 Jul 2008 12:37 #8 by Draknar DoKanen (Draknar DoKanen)
Replied by Draknar DoKanen (Draknar DoKanen) on topic LARPer exchange
As someone who has played characters that require makeup for 10 years, I cannot stress strongly enough what Zach said.  I just recently realized how much easier wearing gloves makes things and I would never go back to trying to paint my hands.  Seriously, wear gloves.

Skimmel

Skimmel
RP Marshal, Rules Marshal, Storyteller
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.507 seconds