Greetings and Beatings!

• Dan
  • Thank Yous: 0
23 Jul 2008 15:34 #1 by Dan (Dan)
Greetings and Beatings! was created by Dan (Dan)
Hi there. My name is Dan. I'm not new to LARPing, but will be new to KR this weekend.

A few questions:
  • When I use the website's search engine, and click on one of the results, I get the message "You are not authorised to view this resource. You need to login." - what gives?
  • I own a pretty sweet suit of plate mail. I hear that Armor is pretty important in KR, so I'm going to try to wear it, even though it's July and will be hot as hell. Can you layer armor? Like if I wear a gambeson underneath the plate, is it worth more?
  • How are armor points restored once they're used up?
  • After my AP are used up, how much of the armor do I need to be wearing to get its soak value? Could I wear just the breastplate and still benefit from the soak? (you see, I'm trying to min/max while avoiding heat stroke  :P)
  • How much of a limb needs to be covered for it to count? My shoulder pieces cover about half of my upper arm - will I get points for that? Also, my gorget sits on top of the shoulders, but doesn't perfectly cover my neck. Will I get points for that?
  • Other obligations require that I'm probably going to have to duck out on Saturday evening. Is there a reduced event cost for only playing a partial event?
  • Are "ultralight" materials acceptable for weapon building? The website only mentions PVC, but I use a graphite core - is that permissable?

I'm still brainstorming what race/class to play, but I'm partial to platemail and polearms. And I've never played an Orc, but I've always wanted to... though the combonation of plate mail + face makeup + July may be a bit much...

Anyway, Hello to all of you! Looking forward to gaming with ye this weekend.

Dan

Dan
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
23 Jul 2008 17:10 #2 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Greetings and Beatings!
Here we go...

I'll have to look into the error on the website.

Basic rule on ANY armor or weapons - we don't guarantee any approval or points values until we see it in person.  I can give you rough guidelines, but any marshal on site can override them once they actually see the armor or weapon in question.

The basic Armor rules are at: www.knightrealms.com/index.php?option=co...ew&id=154&Itemid=107

There are additional rules in the Smithing section (which was recently updated), which should cover what you are looking for: www.knightrealms.com/index.php?option=co...163&Itemid=109#Armor

Soak, if the armor qualifies for it, is always available, even with no AP - that is one of the main benefits of wearing Professional Grade armor (as opposed to Costume Grade).  Also, all armor STARTS at 0 Armor Points every event - you need to visit your local Blacksmith to get it "imbued" with Armor Points (Basically, they need to fix it up - this rule is in place to give the Smiths something to do.  We found that otherwise, people would walk in with 100+ AP and never bother talking to a Smith...)

Layering is allowed, but Soak does NOT stack, only AP.  Be warned, there are diminishing returns to a high AP value - if someone sees a "Tank" trundling towards them, a quick spell, mental attack, or armor piercing attack will bypass it, and you will then be dead, encumbered, and very hot...  trust me, I know this from personal experience!

We do allow Ultralight weapon materials (Fiberglass and Graphite), but again, all approval is reserved until we actually see it in person.

The cost for an event is fixed, as it is actually credit for your PC's Build (XP), not your time at the event.  (In other words, you can pay for a full event even if you are not there to get the Build, and the amount of Build you get is not related to how long you are at the event - Build is all or nothing.)

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
  • Dan
  • Thank Yous: 0
23 Jul 2008 17:40 #3 by Dan (Dan)
Replied by Dan (Dan) on topic Greetings and Beatings!
  Cool, thanks for the reply!

Dan
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
23 Jul 2008 18:29 #4 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic Greetings and Beatings!
By layering, what exactly do you mean.  From the DexCon event, I recall Sam saying that only the highest value counts.

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
23 Jul 2008 19:17 #5 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic Greetings and Beatings!
Historically, the gambescon was a quilted cotton undergarment that served to protect the body from the armor chaffing.  It had absolutely no value as armor.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
23 Jul 2008 21:46 #6 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic Greetings and Beatings!

Historically, the gambescon was a quilted cotton undergarment that served to protect the body from the armor chaffing.  It had absolutely no value as armor.

While I appreciate the historical factoid, I wasn't referring to that.  Also, I won't make the statement or assumption that a gambeson has no value as armor.

I was referring to that a player that was wearing plate over chainmail.  The prospective player asked me about armor value and I referred him to Sam.  He asked about if he could wear both and I said yes, but I don't know how the rules regarding multiple forms of armor worked.  Sam heard me and to rescue me and to make sure I didn't give any mis-information to the new player, said that "only the higher value counts".  So, I just wanted a clarification on that part, as to not confuse myself or any other new player reading this thread.

Layering is allowed, but Soak does NOT stack, only AP.  Be warned, there are diminishing returns to a high AP value - if someone sees a "Tank" trundling towards them, a quick spell, mental attack, or armor piercing attack will bypass it, and you will then be dead, encumbered, and very hot...  trust me, I know this from personal experience!

So a player can wear layers of armor, and the Soak will not stack.  The AP will stack.  Does a player get to choose which AP points get used first?  If I wear plate (24 AP) over leather (10 AP) and I get hit for 8 damage... can I subtract that from the leather or must I subtract from the plate as it's the outermost protective layer or the layer with the most points?

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
23 Jul 2008 22:06 #7 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Greetings and Beatings!
There are no rules covering what goes first, either for layering, or for location - the player can choose what gets damaged, although it will have no game mechanical effect (since a Soak still works even if you are at 0 AP).

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.568 seconds