I'll be there

25 Nov 2008 10:25 #1 by daphil3697 (daphil3697)
I'll be there was created by daphil3697 (daphil3697)
so i know now that i am definatly going on the 13th. My character is almost done!

for this date what should i be expecting?
its my first time, what do i need to know?(outside of the rules)

-(?)Phil Hengy
  • Inajira
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 22
25 Nov 2008 10:57 #2 by Inajira (Inajira)
Replied by Inajira (Inajira) on topic I'll be there
Awesome Phil, it'll be great to have you!

Well, it's a festival, so it's totally different then a full event.  It's only a one day event, as opposed to a full blown 3 day event.  You should be expecting kind of a different 'feel' then a full blown event.  Definitely still a lot of fun, just in a different way. 

Pretty much all you need to know are the basic rules (safety rules are an absolute must to learn :) ) and that's probably about it.  There will be more Out of Game info and In Game info posted sometime soon (I would expect sometime after Thanksgiving) and just read those posts for everything you need to know!

See you soon!

-Wally

Angus Grumblegut
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
25 Nov 2008 10:59 #3 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic I'll be there
It is an outdoors event, with the exception of two yurts which are heated.  Warm clothing is a must.  Layers.  If you can afford it, silk and wool, or fleece.  Most heat is lost from one's head. Wool watchcaps look OK on almost any profession in the winter.  Cabellas, Lands End, and others like them often have big sales.  Waterproof footwear.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
  • Kendrick
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 4
25 Nov 2008 11:14 #4 by Kendrick (Kendrick)
Replied by Kendrick (Kendrick) on topic I'll be there
For any winter costuming, just try to keep it as basic as possible and avoid anything with visible labels or logos. Billowy shirts and pants are a great way to get away with layers yet look in period.

One big difference fastivals can have from full weekends is there a lot more concentrated in-game political things going on. It can present a crash course in the game world.

Brother Kendrick Maeldun
Paladin of the White Fox

oog Chris K
  • Quin
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Captain Cupcake
  • Thank Yous: 15
25 Nov 2008 13:01 #5 by Quin (Quin)
Replied by Quin (Quin) on topic I'll be there
Yeah, one way I've gotten away with warm layers is to wear some sort of poofy pant and have sweats on underneath, and the same goes for a cloak. You can get away with all sorts of out-of-game clothing underneath period looking top layers.

That aside, my first time ever going to KR was a festival, and it really got me interested in what a full event would be like. We'll have food, and depending on the plot of the festival, there may be fighting tournaments (or just plain old fighting monsters) or singing/storytelling contests. It really depends on what the person who is writing it decides.

One thing you can expect to get there is a lot of fun!  :D

Quin K.
It isn't enough to talk about peace, one must believe it.
    And it isn't enough to believe in it, one must work for it.

Emily (MM/RPM)
  • Elawyn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 177
25 Nov 2008 13:31 #6 by Elawyn (Elawyn)
Replied by Elawyn (Elawyn) on topic I'll be there
As a note, one thing a Festival doesn't have as opposed to a full event is New Player Training.  If you plan on NPCing, who ever is in charge will take care of that for you, but if you are PCing and have any basic gameworld or rules questions, either post here or try to catch a staff member at sign in to help you out.  Whoever helps you write your card when you show up can prolly help you too, now that I think about it. :)

Also, if in play, you are confused by what a skill does that was just called, feel free to ask "Out of game, what does that do?" and the person who struck you with said skill will have no problems letting you know (or so one would hope). 

Have fun getting a costume together, like above said, wear lots of layers, and we look forward to seeing you there!

Defend the Land for it is the Base of the Pillar,

Elawyn Featherthorn Brightstar
Acolyte of the Circle of Ten & Chosen of Fey Lord Tillion
Guardian of Belladeen

---
OOG: Kristen M.
25 Nov 2008 15:12 #7 by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred)
Replied by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred) on topic I'll be there
Hey Phil!

Glad that you'll be able to make it.  Just to echo a few things that were said, then add my own two cents... definitely wear layers and dress WARM.  I would also work on making sure you have some extra food stuff cached in your car or somewhere on your person... (then again, I'm a big guy because I work at it, so food for me is important).  I've been to events where I just needed that extra handfull of cookies to get me through to feast, or at the end of the night.  Beef Jerky is nice if you want it to look fairly in game, as is dried fruit.  But as long as you don't have packaging that screams 'pop tarts' or anything modern, it's ok for the short trip from your bag to your mouth :-)

My first event was also a festival, and it was a nice way to get to slowly know the other players (out of game before it started) and the people in the world (in game once it started).  Feel free to come as a traveler coming into Travance for the first time, swept up by whatever is going on.  It gives you a reason to ask a lot of questions.

Good Luck! Looking forward to seeing you!

-OOG Michael Smith
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
25 Nov 2008 16:33 #8 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic I'll be there
ANother good thing is to stay hydrated.  In the summer it's easy to remember.  In the winter, it's harder.  You can get dehydrated in the cold... so you may want to ahve water in your car.  As for carrying it... some folk, like myself, have IG looking water bladders.  Other folks have covers for water bottles so the logo's are covered.

Some foks carry wooden mugs to to drink out of when they fill them with coffee, tea, hot chocolate, juice, etc.

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
  • Kendrick
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 4
25 Nov 2008 16:35 #9 by Kendrick (Kendrick)
Replied by Kendrick (Kendrick) on topic I'll be there
And stay away from Quagz. He pwns noobs. (kidding!)

Brother Kendrick Maeldun
Paladin of the White Fox

oog Chris K
  • Seamstress
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Sew much fabric, sew little time
  • Thank Yous: 1
25 Nov 2008 18:25 #10 by Seamstress (Seamstress)
Replied by Seamstress (Seamstress) on topic I'll be there
WOOL SOCKS! or polarfleece ones... cotton socks will not keep your feet warm, and cold feet are the worse.  Even a K-mart with a hunting/sporting goods section will have a reasonable pair or two (in case one gets wet?)  And not to be an "ambulance chaser" but there are folks who sew and knit, like me, for KR-er's, so if/when you decide you want/need some garb, please consider this humble Seamstress.  I don't play, but my DSW spouse, Charlie, AKA Geezer on the boards and Fr Edwin IG often shows up with a selection of my handiwork.  I am willing to let you wear it while you pay for it.  I try to keep my prices reasonable and my quality quite good.  I hope you enjoy many KR adventures!

OOG ~ Tina S ~ aka Seamstress
Primary Location 42°42' N, 75°11' W
Preferred Location 18°22'N, 78°14'W
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.516 seconds