VGXPO claims another

06 Dec 2008 19:23 #1 by Minibombmon (Minibombmon)
VGXPO claims another was created by Minibombmon (Minibombmon)
Hey, I was only able to get some info on Friday and a bit on Saturday of VGXPO, in the meantime I've done some reading on the website and got a pretty good grasp of the rules. I'm a D&D player, but I haven't done much playing for years because I'm always DMing for my friends, not that I mind :). Anyways, I'd like to come to a future event, for the next two months I wouldn't have much time to come, but after then I'd like to come and I have a friend who would like to go as well.

I just have 1 question, it is saying that NPCing is suggested for new players, but I really would like to PC for my first time, because my best way to figure things out is by experiencing. What are the key differences between the two? Sorry, that's the only thing that's a little vague to me.

Rick Konczyk
  • Jarons20
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 1
07 Dec 2008 02:08 #2 by Jarons20 (Jarons20)
Replied by Jarons20 (Jarons20) on topic VGXPO claims another
NPCing is how I was first introduced to a bunch of the rules. For the weekend you go out as different things, monsters, citizens, and such to steal, pillage, eat, or otherwise interact with PCs, so you have downtime up at the logistics (GM headquarters) then they give you stat cards and explain any rules questions you have, also gives you a chance to read through the rules book and meet some of the players out of game. Everyone is friendly and being a good NPC is a sign of how much fun you want everyone including yourself to have for the event and a sign of how you play.
As a PC first event, you may be having to ask a lot of game questions oog in game while others are trying to keep in game, still this wasn't my experience so I should hand it off.

OOG - Jason Arons
07 Dec 2008 09:44 #3 by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred)
Replied by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred) on topic VGXPO claims another
I PCed my first event, and I was ok, though there were times when I was hit with things, and I was like "OOG, what does that do" a few times. 

Benifits of NPCing your first event as far as I can see
  Better view of the game - You will actually get to somewhat know how the flow of the game goes, and that might change your
                                          perspective on what you want to play.
  Better knowledge of the rules - can't hurt to know what verbals are even if you are going to be a fighter
  Learn the layout of the camp (or die trying) - We have three seperate camps we usually stay at (not including festivals)
                                          I suggest going to the camp and after getting your sleeping arrangements take a tour.  NPCs will
                                          often get to see where many of the mod sites are, since they are the mobs
  Lower cost!
  If you don't have your costuming together yet,or want to see what most people use for costuming
  If you don't have a weapon yet
  A chance to get to know the players OOG first - Everyone has to NPC sometime, you will have a chance to meet a lot of people
                                          before you PC with them.
  If you are terrible at combat, bonus for the PCs, and you dieing was an eventuallity anyway.

But, with all that, I still PCed my first event.  When you PC your first few events, know that you are a newb among heroes, some people have had their character for years and can do amazing things, while you need to be careful not to become fine red mist.  Also, just as when you move to a new town, people will be nice to you, but you will not have the interpersonal relationships set, just like real life you need to work your way into the community.  There are many ways to do this, it's up to your character as to how they would do it.

Well that's my $.02 adjusted for inflation.

-OOG Michael Smith
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
07 Dec 2008 10:53 #4 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic VGXPO claims another
I PCd from the beginning, but I had pumped Matt White (actually,  he had been converting me from Vampire) on and off for over a year.  Still, there were lots of terms which made no sense and lots of other things that made very little sense (come to think of it).  OTOH, everyone was very helpful and quite willing to spend the time to tell this newb which end was up and why.  Paying attention to the new player training is a big help, but really is only the outline of the syllabus, so to speak. 

An advantage to NPCing is one is able to observe the interactions of the various Professions (i.e., classes in D&D speak).  This in turn might give you some better insight as to which you want to play.  Speaking of combat - for whatever reason there was a low level (i.e., perfect for beginners) mod (adventure) my first event.  Lots of slow, easy to hit undead critters.  Perfect for starters to fight, especially as there were Healers among the good guys to bring us back when we were dropped (almost all instances of the "fine red mist" referred to by Mike can be reversed if the appropriate people are nearby).  No one is going to let you get whacked permanently your first time out unless you really are standing directly under that piano that was dropped from the 24th floor.  Even then...

Wow, two cents still buys something.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
  • Lina Marinescu
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Only the curious have something to find
  • Thank Yous: 78
07 Dec 2008 14:03 #5 by Lina Marinescu (Ismaesumi)
Replied by Lina Marinescu (Ismaesumi) on topic VGXPO claims another
I PC'd my first event, but I've been NPCing since (about 3-4 events now). This way I got to experience the game, but now I'm working on getting a grip on the rules etc. I had help from Liz Hill, who would allow me, on my first event to just lean over and ask her questions, that way I didn't have to be like "OOG what's happening"

Always remember you have the option to change your first character at your second event, that grace period really helped me.

IG- Lina Marinescu
OOG- Katie M.- Lead Monster Marshal

The stalwart soul has the will to live and is eager for the race ~Taylor Caldwell

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
07 Dec 2008 17:05 #6 by Minibombmon (Minibombmon)
Replied by Minibombmon (Minibombmon) on topic VGXPO claims another
Hmm... Well, I catch on pretty quickly and I read a lot of the rules on the site and plan to for the next few months, hopefully if I do that, I should be more adapted for my first event as PCing. Thanks for all of the info and tips, guys. I will take it all into consideration.

Rick Konczyk
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.460 seconds