Company traveling west?

• Agnes C
  • The love of life is to wander at will...
  • Thank Yous: 0
21 Dec 2008 23:34 #1 by Agnes C (Liltoot)
Company traveling west? was created by Agnes C (Liltoot)
HI, my name is Kathy, and I am from the midwest region. We have a variety of LARPing and SCA groups in the regions. However, I had heard about your site, and visited it tonight. Quite intruiged by all that I saw and read, you are a really put together band of larper's. I was wondering, knowing that mostly your located in the NJ territory, just how far west you would travel to set up an event. There's a band of gypsies in the midwest that are interested in visiting with your people and I'm sure with enough publicity, others from other groups might like to enjoy the company as well.

I would like to keep an eye on the calendar of events and hopefully gather some together and make a caravan and head east sometime for an event. This would be enlightening as well.

Best wishes to all fellow LARPer's everywhere.

Kathy C.

A gypsy with the lust for wandering the lands...Kathy C.
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
21 Dec 2008 23:49 #2 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic Company traveling west?
Hi... I hope you find us to be really cool and interesting.  Out of curiosity, how did you hear about the site?

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
  • Agnes C
22 Dec 2008 02:22 #3 by Agnes C (Liltoot)
Replied by Agnes C (Liltoot) on topic Company traveling west?
HI, I had received an email from a fellow gypsy out of MI, that had seen your site, and suggested gathering a caravan and visitng an event of yours. Said the trip would be long, which prompted me to search out your site to see just where your locale was. He also mentioned something about a 10 day event, although I didn't see anything in the '09 calendar scheduled.

I would like to however follow along online, if that wouldn't be a problem. I do LARPing in the midwest, and find that no matter where one larps, it's one big happy event at the end of the day.

Thanks, Kathy

22 Dec 2008 03:29 #4 by Jurgur'mosh Goretusk (MattF)
Replied by Jurgur'mosh Goretusk (MattF) on topic Company traveling west?
Welcome to Knight Realms

Jurgur'mosh GoreTusk
free orc
(OOG-Matt F)
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
22 Dec 2008 07:35 #5 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Company traveling west?
Hello!

We don't travel when we run events - we work with the same campsites in NJ and PA year round, to make it easy for players to be able to attend consistently.  It can be tricky to run an ongoing story if the game moves out of range of your players!

You are certainly welcome to tag along online.  All I will ask is that you keep in mind that we are a Live game first and foremost - you won't be able to participate in the In-Game part of Knight Realms, as it's required you attend in person before you can post In-Game.  The rest of the forums, however, are fair game.

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
22 Dec 2008 18:09 #6 by Ilana Darkwood (Ilana_Darkwood)
Replied by Ilana Darkwood (Ilana_Darkwood) on topic Company traveling west?
A 10 day event? Now that would be pretty awesome.. if not crazy.

Good to meet you ^^ Hope you can come by one day! Gypsies are always fun to have around

OOG:
Marcella Torres
Land System Deputy
New Player Marshal
22 Dec 2008 18:20 #7 by Jurgur'mosh Goretusk (MattF)
i believe they are thinking of Pensic, but i'm not sure.

Jurgur'mosh GoreTusk
free orc
(OOG-Matt F)
  • Kathara
  • Thank Yous: 1
22 Dec 2008 19:26 #8 by Kathara (Kathara)
Replied by Kathara (Kathara) on topic Company traveling west?
I hope you and your friends can make the trip!

Kathara Spero- Gypsy Healer
OOG- Karen Schwander
  • Matt D
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Photographer extraordinaire!
  • Thank Yous: 557
22 Dec 2008 20:08 #9 by Matt D (MattD)
Replied by Matt D (MattD) on topic Company traveling west?
I wonder if this 10 day event is in referrence to the travel, both pick up and drop off, PLUS our usual 3 day weekend.

Elias Ashby
Proprietor of the Ashby Family General Store

Lord Templar Rayven Nightwing of the Order of Holy Light

(OOG - Matt D. - Photographer)
  • Agnes C
22 Dec 2008 23:14 #10 by Agnes C (Liltoot)
HI to all of you that have posted or read.

Those of us in the midwest attend various LARP's in a couple of states, and sometimes go to faires, and such things in character. Being able to attend another LARP, would definately add to the experience. Like I said there's a band of gypsies in MI that attend our LARP in IN, we have a lot of fun getting together. There are only a couple of gypsies here, although we do have a variety of characters IG. There is also other characters in MI that come a lot to play at Kanarak.

You speak of PA as a site to hold events. That is much closer then NJ. I'm sure that everyone would be interested in that information. Being at a campground, gives us the added benefit of lodging facility setup. We'd need that info as well, to contact them for location and costs. Your costs to attend, food costs, and any other charges involved.

Thanks for letting me follow along online. I am aware that to participate in post, one has to attend the events as well. Being as far away as I am, that''s near to impossible on a regular basis. However, I do hope to make it there at least once, and hope to bring others with. At least for the visiting aspect.

Well, I'll leave it at this, however, this is our site: www.kanarak.org/forum

I hope you visit it sometime, however it is under reconstruction. You can also find info at Yahoo groups: kanarak.org

Thanks again.

• Secarius
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Cinis et Cinis Pulvis Et Pulvis
22 Dec 2008 23:16 #11 by Secarius (Secarius)
Replied by Secarius (Secarius) on topic Company traveling west?
the only "larp" event i know of that last for ten(ish) days straight  is penzic (sp)

ALex S.
player of Brax the Barbarian
  • Ben Theis
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Calm in mind, gentle in heart, illuminate the spirit
  • Thank Yous: 29
23 Dec 2008 08:58 #12 by Ben Theis (Tirsen Crestingstar)
Replied by Ben Theis (Tirsen Crestingstar) on topic Company traveling west?
The 10 day LARPS are a very popular thing in Europe.  Can't say I've ever heard of one here in the States.

Tirsen Crestingstar

Ben.T.
  • Agnes C
23 Dec 2008 09:40 #13 by Agnes C (Liltoot)
I did look up pennsicwar.org, the site that does hold the games for 2weeks (17days total). They are in far western PA, on the border. They usually hold the wars in mid to late summer. They are a heavily SCA endorsed organization. However, they say you don't have to be an SCA to attend. Thought I would just spread the word.

Thanks for all your input.

• Secarius
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Cinis et Cinis Pulvis Et Pulvis
23 Dec 2008 13:06 #14 by Secarius (Secarius)
Replied by Secarius (Secarius) on topic Company traveling west?
Yeah several of my friends from here in NYC do it; Eddo, Jolie Voltaire, Capt. Zhorik to name 3. I went with them once.. only stayed a few days.. from what i saw there was ffectively zero boffer larping. I did not see a single non human race there (using KR terms) and almost 100% of the battle was SCA meaning solid wood weapons, all steel plate and heavy leather armor. Big ogre like guys pounding on everyone they could (seemed like bullies to me) from what I gleaned from the SCA rules going on. and what was explained to me. the only way to be effective in the battle is to be the equivalent of a WoW tank. and if you arent the only way to be efective in the "battle" is to inflict actual physical injury to one's opponent.. which... is dumb. but as Im not an actual SCA person and arent INDEPTHLY knowledgeable of their rules dont quote me. I'm just stating what i remember and what I observed.

(btw they dont allow you to ACTUALLY inflict physical injury on purpose)

ALex S.
player of Brax the Barbarian
23 Dec 2008 15:54 #15 by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred)
Replied by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred) on topic Company traveling west?
10 Days... that's a lot of books

-OOG Michael Smith
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
23 Dec 2008 18:36 #16 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic Company traveling west?
And not much sleep.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
24 Dec 2008 12:20 #17 by Jurgur'mosh Goretusk (MattF)
I think if we had a ten day KR event we would in fact actually form a portal to the real travance. Unfortunately it would be coma induced lol.

Jurgur'mosh GoreTusk
free orc
(OOG-Matt F)
  • Elawyn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 177
24 Dec 2008 12:37 #18 by Elawyn (Elawyn)
Replied by Elawyn (Elawyn) on topic Company traveling west?

Being at a campground, gives us the added benefit of lodging facility setup. We'd need that info as well, to contact them for location and costs. Your costs to attend, food costs, and any other charges involved.

I honestly have no idea if there actually is a lodging facility set-up at either of the two campsites we use within Hickory Run State Park, PA.  We use Daddy Allen and Shehaqua (sp?), which are boy scout campsites with cabins scattered throughout.  The costs for attendance are on the website - typically a main meal is served Saturday night gratis (it is not gaurunteed but usually occurs, and while every effort is made to make it edible despite most allergies, there is only so much staff can do - if you do have strong food allergies it may be best to prepare to get something for yourself off-camp), and while people do often have other foods throughout the weekend, they are served by individual players and can cost InGame or OutofGame money depending on that person.  There are places to get some food not far from camp, or you can bring food yourself (but there is only one kitchen which is operated by kitchen staff and pretty much taken over throughout Saturday - you'd have to check to see when you could use the facilities as to not be in the way of their work). 

Hope that info helps.

Defend the Land for it is the Base of the Pillar,

Elawyn Featherthorn Brightstar
Acolyte of the Circle of Ten & Chosen of Fey Lord Tillion
Guardian of Belladeen

---
OOG: Kristen M.
  • Agnes C
25 Dec 2008 07:47 - 25 Dec 2008 07:49 #19 by Agnes C (Liltoot)
Thanks, this definately gives me a lot of info. We also use a boy scout camp.  However, we pay to use a section specific for our games. Built our own village there. Have a DDI (Dead Dawg INN) sort of an INN where townfolk gather for main meals. Always costs IG coin. However, if one chooses to not eat there, they are welcome to leave and go into town and eat elsewhere.

My lodging reference was about an area to set up a tent city, if that was available to us. Also, are small fire pits allowed for cooking or character trade use? IE: candle making, etc.

These are just a couple of thoughts.  I do know that the BUG has been put out about a caravan possibly heading east. We'll have to see how that pans out in the future. We already have our year schedule in place. So hopefully, there can be a little voyage your way sometime. Will keep you posted. Thanks.

Last edit: 25 Dec 2008 07:49 by .
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Dec 2008 21:49 #20 by
Replied by on topic Company traveling west?
  Hi everyone.  Just wanted to add something here if I may.  I am one of the players and the ex-Game Marshal at kanarak, have posted here before under the name pelenderian; although it's been awhile.

The 10 day event liltoot talked about is an event they hold at a LARP in MI called Kanar.  Once a year right about the same time as the MI Rennfair, they have what they call Agelong; a 10 day event that culminates in an all out war between the elves and orcs. It's their big event each year, and supposedly alot of fun.

Anyway, just wanted to clear up the confusion on that subject. 

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year from our LARP to your's. And hope to see you sometime in the new year

Jeff M.
30 Dec 2008 20:49 - 30 Dec 2008 21:35 #21 by Ded Dawg O'Doul (Mohammad)
Replied by Ded Dawg O'Doul (Mohammad) on topic Company traveling west?
Hello there ,

Let me introduce myself

I am the OG father of LilToot, and I too play Kanarak in Indiana. I  greatly harass the one called Balindor sometimes. Other times he harrasses me

But on to the meat of the subject

My main character (PC) is a human from the Arkatia,  Similar to Arabia.  Not a bedu but I do travel

My NPC is Ded Dawg an old pirate who runs the Ded Dawg INN where most of our game feeds.  I would like to converse about the logistics of meal planning, OG meal cost/person and some idea about who buys, cooks, serves, washes dishes, collects IG coin, wood cutting, water carrying etc.

My wife does most of the cooking as Molly or Skrubzz.  She also plays Mohammads #1 wife ( she did away with the others when she started playing too).

We hold in our hands the harvest of what we have sown in Hope. Do we sow for Good? or for Evil?

Ded Dawg O'Doul

OOG = Dave Sullivan Sr; Indiana

Kanarak=VC999 Institutional Head
PC = Ded Dawg O'Doul. Inn Keeper
NPC = Huh! The Dumbest of the Ale Belly Ogres
Last edit: 30 Dec 2008 21:35 by .
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.604 seconds