Whats the difference?

20 Mar 2009 04:19 - 20 Mar 2009 04:42 #1 by Kuroda the Mad (Kuroda)
Whats the difference? was created by Kuroda the Mad (Kuroda)
Now, I've been in Dagorhir for the past two years, and I love it, but there is not much role-playing. from what i can tell Knight Realms seems to be on the other side of the spectrum (more roleplay than fighting) my question is, (besides the use of spells) how much different is the fighting, are dag weapons legal, and most of all if i hit someone full force is that looked down upon, alot of other "LARPS" Ive been to have really whined about that! :P
P.S. Dag Weapons are usualy 2-3 times as padded as most boffers

"Archer, you don't want to shoot me. You know me. You know what I'll do to you if you shoot me."

OOG: Zac McCoy
Last edit: 20 Mar 2009 04:42 by .
  • Elawyn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 177
20 Mar 2009 08:24 #2 by Elawyn (Elawyn)
Replied by Elawyn (Elawyn) on topic Whats the difference?
KR policy is usually not to compare LARPs - every one is different, with its own ups and downs and as such can be experienced differently any given player.  That being said, not having ever gone to Dagohir, I don't know anything about the fighting or their weapons so there is no way to make a comparison there anyway.  I also don't know what you mean by "full force", as that as well is a relative term. 

Knight Realms is an RP-focused game, however, if you want to fight, you can certainly find it all throughout the weekend.  The major difference with KR that I've found is that if you Don't want to fight, you can probably avoid it for the majority of the event and still have plenty to do with the RP aspects. 

Fighting can get intense, however, everyone must always fight safely.  It's always good to pull one's blows when one can, as none of us are really out to hurt one another - you're blows should not be causing bruising, knocking the wind out of someone, etc.  Safety is of primary importance, so if if ever someone feels as if they are being hit particularly hard and unsafely by a particular player, it is there right and responsbility to report that to a Rules marshal who will further investigate the situation.  If the unsafe fighting is chronic - as in not just the one time and on a continuous basic - that player will be talked to, eventually will be given Rules Violations, and if the problem still persists, can have their fighting priveliges suspended or revoked.  At the start of an event, if you are still concerned with how your fighting style will be percieved, seek out a Rules Marshal ask them in person  - then if necessary you can spar and see if you're hitting too hard etc. 

In terms of weapons, all weapons must be approved at the event on an individual basis, no exceptions.  We cannot tell you if your weapon is legal until a marshal actually checks it out and approves it. 

Finally, please remember to sign all of your posts with an OOG name to which we can refer to you by, as per the forum rules.  Thanks!

Defend the Land for it is the Base of the Pillar,

Elawyn Featherthorn Brightstar
Acolyte of the Circle of Ten & Chosen of Fey Lord Tillion
Guardian of Belladeen

---
OOG: Kristen M.
20 Mar 2009 08:32 - 20 Mar 2009 08:53 #3 by Kuroda the Mad (Kuroda)
Replied by Kuroda the Mad (Kuroda) on topic Whats the difference?

that should tell you all you need to know about Dag

and to point out, Dag is all about saftey, and the only time someone is hurt is when they miss a step and fall (hehe)

but i must say i cant wait to go to my first event it sounds thrilling!

"Archer, you don't want to shoot me. You know me. You know what I'll do to you if you shoot me."

Last edit: 20 Mar 2009 08:53 by .
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
20 Mar 2009 10:53 #4 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic Whats the difference?
Wow - they posted their video!  A novel concept.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
20 Mar 2009 11:07 #5 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic Whats the difference?

and most of all if i hit someone full force is that looked down upon

I don't know anything about the fighting or their weapons so there is no way to make a comparison there anyway.  I also don't know what you mean by "full force", as that as well is a relative term.  Fighting can get intense, however, everyone must always fight safely.  It's always good to pull one's blows when one can, as none of us are really out to hurt one another - you're blows should not be causing bruising, knocking the wind out of someone, etc.

I thought I recalled that KR has a rule about the angle/range that you can swing with your hand-held weapon.  I forgot if it was 45 to 90 degrees or 60 to 120 degrees of an allowed arc to swing?

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
  • Damien
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 145
20 Mar 2009 11:21 #6 by Damien (Damien)
Replied by Damien (Damien) on topic Whats the difference?

I thought I recalled that KR has a rule about the angle/range that you can swing with your hand-held weapon.  I forgot if it was 45 to 90 degrees or 60 to 120 degrees of an allowed arc to swing?

Paul, it's in the Online Rulebook in the Combat section under Weapon Combat :

"When using hand-held weapons either thrust or swing the weapon in an arc between 60 and 120 degrees while you attempt to make contact with your target. A weapon strike should never be forceful enough to cause injury or pain."

"As always, safety is a great concern during combat. Do not put excessive force behind your swings. Blows should be easily felt but not leave bruises."

[hr]
Victor Sylus, Baron of Travance
OOG: Damien A.
20 Mar 2009 13:24 #7 by Birnum Pyre (Birnum Pyre)
Replied by Birnum Pyre (Birnum Pyre) on topic Whats the difference?
Hey Zac,

There will defiantly be some differences in the combat from what you are use to. A thing that jumped right out at me as a difference is that we different mechanics for hits and how many you can take. I suggest taking a look at the online rulebook in the combat section to see what other differences you can find.

As for using full force swings, as others have stated before me in this thread, we do not use full force. We have players of many ages and sizes as well as some who do not partake in combat at all. When combat is based only on a successful hit, the amount of real life strength behind that swing does not augment the game affect of landing it. So it is in the interest of safety that we have players to pull their blows. Now do not take from that statement that combat is not fast or intense, because I assure you it is. Also many of our players use foam latex weapons. These are far denser than even a standard boffer is, thus it is always the player's responsibility to be safe rather than expecting the gear to act as a buffer.

Hope to see you out at an event soon,

OOG:
Brendan O'Hara
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
20 Mar 2009 14:38 #8 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic Whats the difference?
Not to mention the true pain which comes from water soaked frozen foam weapon swung hard.  Many of us have been there.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
  • Jarons20
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 1
20 Mar 2009 17:14 #9 by Jarons20 (Jarons20)
Replied by Jarons20 (Jarons20) on topic Whats the difference?
Also a shot to the leg doesnt force the player to thier knees unless certain abilities are used such as break limb, but you are required to show the hit, by being forced back or grunting with pain and act accordingly with how much damage/how much body you still have

OOG - Jason Arons
20 Mar 2009 19:53 #10 by Kuroda the Mad (Kuroda)
Replied by Kuroda the Mad (Kuroda) on topic Whats the difference?
Well i guess i got a lot of reading to do! thanks for all your insight, and i hope to see you soon!

Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.544 seconds