A meteor hammer (crosses fingers)

21 Mar 2009 17:13 #1 by Kuroda the Mad (Kuroda)
A meteor hammer (crosses fingers) was created by Kuroda the Mad (Kuroda)
I was reading through the rules and I could not find a solid enough answer one way or another.
Are meteor hammers legal? I figure if the ball is made out of the same foam as an arrow with something like a tennis ball in the center to give it heft, that would work, the question of it being legal or not is the rope, which if not is understandable

"Archer, you don't want to shoot me. You know me. You know what I'll do to you if you shoot me."

OOG: Zac McCoy
  • Odo Garaath
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Back and Ready For More!
  • Thank Yous: 12
21 Mar 2009 17:35 #2 by Odo Garaath (Odo)
Replied by Odo Garaath (Odo) on topic A meteor hammer (crosses fingers)
Wait, is it that the thing from Kill Bill?

"Praise be to Enax, and blessing to his followers."

(Tom Senger )
  • Matt D
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Photographer extraordinaire!
  • Thank Yous: 557
21 Mar 2009 17:43 #3 by Matt D (MattD)
Replied by Matt D (MattD) on topic A meteor hammer (crosses fingers)
I presume you mean a ball and chain, correct? Or more like a flail?

Elias Ashby
Proprietor of the Ashby Family General Store

Lord Templar Rayven Nightwing of the Order of Holy Light

(OOG - Matt D. - Photographer)
  • Markov
  • Thank Yous: 0
21 Mar 2009 18:27 #4 by Markov (wayward fox)
Replied by Markov (wayward fox) on topic A meteor hammer (crosses fingers)
Meteor hammers are a very difficult, very dangerous weapon (for both the user and their enemies) that consist of a long length of rope, usually tied to one hand and gathered into loops so that the wielder can "play" out the distances, allowing them to attack/surprise their opponents. A meteor hammer is usually launched either by a throwing type motion with the free hand or by launching it from a body part like the foot or elbow. To add to that, a skilled user of a meteor hammer can even wrap the rope around their body in fake knots that whip apart with amazing speed, once again deceiving would be opponents.

Besides being a really cool weapon, these things can gain A LOT of momentum and the rope itself can leave burns or entangle other weapons. In short, these weapons are like a miniature canon ball on a leash.

PS: I'm a rope dart practitioner, so its cool to hear someone talking about the rope dart's big brother. How long have you been practicing with a meteor hammer?

-Elias L. Barkey
21 Mar 2009 18:32 #5 by Kuroda the Mad (Kuroda)
Replied by Kuroda the Mad (Kuroda) on topic A meteor hammer (crosses fingers)
About 3 years, it started with me swinging a wood handled jump rope and i fell in love! but would this be allowed on the field?

"Archer, you don't want to shoot me. You know me. You know what I'll do to you if you shoot me."

• Elawyn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 177
21 Mar 2009 20:08 - 21 Mar 2009 20:10 #6 by Elawyn (Elawyn)
Replied by Elawyn (Elawyn) on topic A meteor hammer (crosses fingers)
No.  Nothing that could potentially catch a weapon and pull it from someone's hands (and anything with a rope sounds like thats a possibility) is allowed.  Control over such a weapon to keep it from hitting people in the head (or groin) would also be highly difficult, and while I am not questioning your personal proficiency, special exceptions with such things cannot be allowed for safety reasons.

It's too bad though, it does sound cool, just not practical for larp fighting.

Defend the Land for it is the Base of the Pillar,

Elawyn Featherthorn Brightstar
Acolyte of the Circle of Ten & Chosen of Fey Lord Tillion
Guardian of Belladeen

---
OOG: Kristen M.
Last edit: 21 Mar 2009 20:10 by .
  • northstarpn
  • When God hands you lemons you FIND A NEW GOD
  • Thank Yous: 0
21 Mar 2009 22:54 #7 by northstarpn (northstarpn)
Replied by northstarpn (northstarpn) on topic A meteor hammer (crosses fingers)
I could have sworn I saw a pirate fighting another pirate with a similar weapon at my first event! It was a chain of some kind... Comadore Sleafus (sp?) was his name I think.

Probably a different weapon all together, but it might be a suitable alternative for a meteor hammer.

Peter Nerino
aka Nikolai
22 Mar 2009 02:36 #8 by Kuroda the Mad (Kuroda)
sigh, i figured as much for the rope. but i was thinking, if the ball was padded like an arrow then the possibility of a head shot would be mute

22 Mar 2009 02:37 #9 by Kuroda the Mad (Kuroda)

I could have sworn I saw a pirate fighting another pirate with a similar weapon at my first event! It was a chain of some kind... Comadore Sleafus (sp?) was his name I think.

Probably a different weapon all together, but it might be a suitable alternative for a meteor hammer.

I would love to find out what weapon that is

• Elawyn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 177
22 Mar 2009 10:15 #10 by Elawyn (Elawyn)
Replied by Elawyn (Elawyn) on topic A meteor hammer (crosses fingers)
If I recall, that was a prototype flail with a very short chain made of foam links, but whatever it was I do not believe it was ever used in actual larp fighting - it was just to have fun with and for show.  As far as I have ever been told or seen, Chain/Rope weapons are not allowed in general larp fighting.

Defend the Land for it is the Base of the Pillar,

Elawyn Featherthorn Brightstar
Acolyte of the Circle of Ten & Chosen of Fey Lord Tillion
Guardian of Belladeen

---
OOG: Kristen M.
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.524 seconds