Torn

25 Mar 2009 21:26 #1 by Kuroda the Mad (Kuroda)
Torn was created by Kuroda the Mad (Kuroda)
I started to make my Character today and I thought Id combine the two greatest things on earth which are of course Drinking and Sword play! But your rules work against dwarvin samurai, and those to me seem like a pretty good match, so can anyone tell me why this was decided? im just curious.

"Archer, you don't want to shoot me. You know me. You know what I'll do to you if you shoot me."

OOG: Zac McCoy
25 Mar 2009 22:43 #2 by Draknar DoKanen (Draknar DoKanen)
Replied by Draknar DoKanen (Draknar DoKanen) on topic Torn
It was done as a way to balance the races.

Keep in mind that you can't start as a Dwarf Ronin, but you can learn it as a secondary profession, albeit at a 5 build detriment.

--Sean

Skimmel
RP Marshal, Rules Marshal, Storyteller
  • Matt D
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Photographer extraordinaire!
  • Thank Yous: 557
25 Mar 2009 23:54 - 25 Mar 2009 23:57 #3 by Matt D (MattD)
Replied by Matt D (MattD) on topic Torn
If you like the idea of drinking IG, a Celt or Barbarian wouldn't be a bad choice either, although you're left with the same predicament as far as Ronin goes.

Elias Ashby
Proprietor of the Ashby Family General Store

Lord Templar Rayven Nightwing of the Order of Holy Light

(OOG - Matt D. - Photographer)
Last edit: 25 Mar 2009 23:57 by .
26 Mar 2009 00:53 #4 by Kuroda the Mad (Kuroda)
Replied by Kuroda the Mad (Kuroda) on topic Torn
my biggest thing is i already have the samurai garb, beard, and surly disposition

"Archer, you don't want to shoot me. You know me. You know what I'll do to you if you shoot me."

• Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
26 Mar 2009 01:28 #5 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic Torn
From my expirience playing a non-khitanese ronin, I've rarely had my racial comes into play for my profession.  Of course, everyone assumes I'm a Human Khitanese (duuno why  :D) anyways.

If you really want the Asian theme for your character, the rulebook talks about the Khitanese.  If you really don't wanna play a human, that's something else entirely.  Drinking and Swordplay can be covered by a huge bunch of different races and professions.

If you're looking to play a Zatoichi/Sanjuro Kuwabatake type of ronin (ie, the irreverant ronin who drinks, carouses, and generally talks gruff), that can be handled by human.  I've had trouble trying to be relaxed, loosed, and not so self-possessed when playing a ronin because the entire Code of Bushido thing that is supposed to drive the profession.  I haven't figured how to do it yet.

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
26 Mar 2009 02:09 - 26 Mar 2009 02:13 #6 by T. Grumblegut (Yngwie)
Replied by T. Grumblegut (Yngwie) on topic Torn
Why don't you try playing a dwarf warrior who strives to be a ronin, but needs help grasping the ideaology and fighting style because of cultural restrictions. The "IG" reasoning that dwarves can't be ronin is because of their culture and way of life. The extra build cost means that it's harder for a dwarf to learn to be a ronin, atleast more so than a race where the way of the ronin may be more common. Why not use that as fuel for your roleplay? Your character might be a warrior who wants to be a ronin, but due to his mindset he can't learn to be a ronin. He thinks the fighting style will help him in combat, but refuses to acknowlege that mentally he may need to make changes and commitments to training to become a ronin. Just food for thought.

Alex T.
Rules Marshal
Last edit: 26 Mar 2009 02:13 by .
26 Mar 2009 03:06 #7 by Kuroda the Mad (Kuroda)
those are both great ideas thanks. now i must think  :P

30 Mar 2009 07:23 #8 by Kuroda the Mad (Kuroda)
well, I've started writing my back-story. but i need some help, mainly in the form of the knight realms dwarf mythos, i need to especialy know the dwarven social hierarchy.

• Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
30 Mar 2009 14:23 #9 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic Torn
Oh... and just beause the title of this thread...

Torn for the deaf

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
  • Odo Garaath
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Back and Ready For More!
  • Thank Yous: 12
30 Mar 2009 22:08 #10 by Odo Garaath (Odo)
Replied by Odo Garaath (Odo) on topic Torn
Hilarious!

"Praise be to Enax, and blessing to his followers."

(Tom Senger )
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.480 seconds