Newb Question: Where am I from?

• Rudolf
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 140
20 May 2009 14:33 #1 by Rudolf (Rudolf)
Newb Question: Where am I from? was created by Rudolf (Rudolf)
At Tirsen's insistence  :D , I have been going over the history and maps of Travance in order to be better prepared to immerse myself in character.  From what I've read, the passage way across the Rift has only been known for six years.  Now, there is also something called a Rift Gate on the map of Travance.  Is the Rift Gate one of those gnomish teleportation circles mentioned in the history?  Also, since my character will be slightly older than six, is there some standard explanation of  how my character crossed the Rift?  Is it possible to be from this side of the Rift or must all human PCs have come from Kormyre (or other places like Coast Haven) originally?

--Rudolf
OOG: Larry Wile

Lord Rudolf Von Kreutzdorf of Ostcliff
Golden Rose Trading Company
OOG - Larry Wile (Marshal)
  • Elawyn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 177
20 May 2009 15:05 #2 by Elawyn (Elawyn)
Replied by Elawyn (Elawyn) on topic Newb Question: Where am I from?
Welcome!  I love when people read the old histories with the same intensity I did when I started playing. :)

The term "Rift Gate" actually just refers to that physical passage discovered what is actually, at this point, 11 years ago.  The history hasn't been updated, but the discovery basically corresponds with number of years ago the game itself was started up.  It does not refer to any gnomish device. 

While it possible for you to play a character from this side of the Rift, he would have had to have moved here with the colonies that came over 11 years ago or less - not before.  No PC race is indigenous to this side of the rift as far as I know. 

Hope that helps.

Defend the Land for it is the Base of the Pillar,

Elawyn Featherthorn Brightstar
Acolyte of the Circle of Ten & Chosen of Fey Lord Tillion
Guardian of Belladeen

---
OOG: Kristen M.
  • Bellanear
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 13
21 May 2009 11:23 #3 by Bellanear (Alai)
Replied by Bellanear (Alai) on topic Newb Question: Where am I from?
Also as a note, nearly all PCs who come across the rift do so in caravans that (conveniently) arrive once a month, shortly before the Baron's Feast (aka, the event)

Also note that the event taking place the last weekend in May is unique.  Check the announcement board for posts by Gallion (the screen name of the director, James) regarding the "Alt Event".

As an aside, it is possible to have come over as a child with the first wave of settlers in 1198 (1998 in our world) and grew up in Travance.  Someone who came with their family at 7 would be 18 now, for example.  I actually believe there are a few characters like this in the game right now.

More in depth and official answers can be gotten from Brendan, our new player officer, and Mary Beth, our atmosphere officer.

-Bellanear Cyeos
The Alabaster Seal
Guardian of The Ivory Tower

Gavin S.
  • Aleister
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank Yous: 1504
21 May 2009 15:52 #4 by Aleister (Aleister)
Replied by Aleister (Aleister) on topic Newb Question: Where am I from?
Actually Kristen, up until maybe a year ago, Markovia was a human city on this side of the rift.  But thats kind of a more evil place.

Lord Admiral Aleister Demirosz, the Phoenix

-Steve Oros
Assistant Director
  • Elawyn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 177
21 May 2009 16:19 #5 by Elawyn (Elawyn)
Replied by Elawyn (Elawyn) on topic Newb Question: Where am I from?
Markovia is its own unique situation - and quite evil.    I didn't include it as it really doesn't count as a "human" or any other playable race colony in that capacity.  If someone wants to be from there they really have to chat up the New Player Officer or the Storytellers for more info. 

Defend the Land for it is the Base of the Pillar,

Elawyn Featherthorn Brightstar
Acolyte of the Circle of Ten & Chosen of Fey Lord Tillion
Guardian of Belladeen

---
OOG: Kristen M.
  • Kendrick
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 4
21 May 2009 23:23 #6 by Kendrick (Kendrick)
Replied by Kendrick (Kendrick) on topic Newb Question: Where am I from?
And if you come from Markovia, you have to fight with two black swords and wear glow sticks.

Old School FTW!

Brother Kendrick Maeldun
Paladin of the White Fox

oog Chris K
  • LStarling
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Cursed Healer
  • Thank Yous: 20
02 Jul 2009 14:00 #7 by LStarling (Kwildar)
Replied by LStarling (Kwildar) on topic Newb Question: Where am I from?

And if you come from Markovia, you have to fight with two black swords and wear glow sticks.

Old School FTW!

Makes me almost glad that my character only passed through Markovia on his way to Travance the first time. ;)

--
Lawrence Starling -- IG
"Really, bee! I don't smell flower-y!"
Malcolm Mallardi -- OOG
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.500 seconds