Greetings and Salutations!

• Sterling
  • Thank Yous: 0
04 Aug 2009 22:50 #1 by Sterling (Sterling)
Greetings and Salutations! was created by Sterling (Sterling)
Hello!  So a few of my larping friends from NJ have finally snagged me into going to a KR shindig.  I'll be coming in as a 1st level character, learnin' about rules and battle and bears... The whole nine yards.  So!  I figured I'd introduce myself here first.  I'm Joe Gates.

If you have been to Dreamation or DexCon in NJ you've probably seen me with the gaggle of a group I pal around with (they're the folks who run/play in/infiltrate the Legend of the Five Rings, Dead Lands, Concrete Jungle and CyberGen LARPS). 

I've met some of you Knight Realmers and I can't wait to meet some more of ya.  My friends have gotten me very excited about the whole experience.  I suppose the one thing I have had some difficulty getting together is my costume.  I'd like to play a Satyr.  I'm curious as to what the culture is like - beyond the racial description.  Are there many?  Are there few?  Are all of them bards?  How do you make yours "stand out"?  I'm not sure how to make the legs.  My sewing skills, suck.  Those I know who do sew (and attend the game) are quite a ways away from me.  If you folks have any tips on making some, I'd be very appreciative and it is certain to make all the world glad. 

If ya'll have any questions for me, just shoot 'em my way. 
-Joe Gates!

Later!

We become the people we need.
-
-
-
OOC: Joe Gates!
05 Aug 2009 01:22 #2 by WayaMilenko (WayaMilenko)
Replied by WayaMilenko (WayaMilenko) on topic Greetings and Salutations!
I highly suggest playing a satyr, especially if you go to next weekend...I hear things Satyrish happening...just sad one half of the stories won't be there...that Queen of Coast Haven works him ragged...

Waya Milenko

(OOG-Clint)
  • JoDios
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • That guy with the muffin hat.
05 Aug 2009 13:49 #3 by JoDios (JoDios)
Replied by JoDios (JoDios) on topic Greetings and Salutations!
Another vote for satyr

OOG: Jo
  • Elawyn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 177
05 Aug 2009 14:46 #4 by Elawyn (Elawyn)
Replied by Elawyn (Elawyn) on topic Greetings and Salutations!
I can't say I have any additional RP comments besides whats already listed in the description, but I do have some comments on the legs.

I've seen the furry legs done a variety of ways, although all require some amount of sewing. 

One way is by just making a full set of fur pants, but that can be difficult if one has no sewing experience. 

Another way is to take a pair brown or black sweat pants (I'd say cotton leggings for girls) and add a layer of coordinating fake fur sew around the lower leg under the knee.  Since you have a base and your just sewing the fur to the pant leg, this takes a lot less sewing skill.

Another one I can think of is to make boot covers of fur.  You have to be careful to make sure the fur looks like part of your leg though, rather than just bootcovers. 

Hope that gives some ideas. :)

Defend the Land for it is the Base of the Pillar,

Elawyn Featherthorn Brightstar
Acolyte of the Circle of Ten & Chosen of Fey Lord Tillion
Guardian of Belladeen

---
OOG: Kristen M.
  • Seamstress
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Sew much fabric, sew little time
  • Thank Yous: 1
05 Aug 2009 15:09 #5 by Seamstress (Seamstress)
Replied by Seamstress (Seamstress) on topic Greetings and Salutations!
To add a few non-sewing suggestions to Elawyn's comments on legs...

If you go to a fabric or craft store there is a product called Tacky Glue that is "formulated to glue odd items to odd surfaces."  Get yourself some fake fur and glue it to sweats or leggings until you can get someone to sew it there.  Tacky Glue however is water soluble, so if it rains you're gonna shed.  But in a pinch, it could work.

OOG ~ Tina S ~ aka Seamstress
Primary Location 42°42' N, 75°11' W
Preferred Location 18°22'N, 78°14'W
  • Sterling
06 Aug 2009 17:38 #6 by Sterling (Sterling)
Replied by Sterling (Sterling) on topic Greetings and Salutations!
Satyr it is; let it be said and known...

You folks are all sorts of spiffy and awesome, thank you so much! You've all given me some great ideas and I'm wondering if I get enough fur material then I can cover the lower legs/calves then punch holes along the sides. Then, use leather or laces or whatnot to tie them up the sides  I've got some black biking shorts that should be kinda skin-like enough to down then under the fur leg bits. Hey, toldja I had no sewing skill ;) heheh...

Another question, more about culture than anything. Is there a particular land that satyrs come from?  Are they considered fey in the same sense a nymph or dryad are;as creatures of nature and less civilized places?

We become the people we need.
-
-
-
OOC: Joe Gates!
  • Erim Walker
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • I love Travance. There are shirtless men EVERYWHER
07 Aug 2009 10:01 #7 by Erim Walker (shiva14b)
Replied by Erim Walker (shiva14b) on topic Greetings and Salutations!

Another question, more about culture than anything. Is there a particular land that satyrs come from?  Are they considered fey in the same sense a nymph or dryad are;as creatures of nature and less civilized places?

Satyrs!

"Ok we can attack... but if we miss, we'll hit the villagers."
"I'm willing to take that chance!"

Things I am no longer allowed to do in an RPG :
31. The backup trap handler is not whoever has the most HP at the time.
73. Not allowed to name my cudgel Ceremonial Whoopass Stick.
74. My thief's battle cry is not "Run And Live"

[OOG Jenna
  • JoDios
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • That guy with the muffin hat.
07 Aug 2009 12:01 #8 by JoDios (JoDios)
Replied by JoDios (JoDios) on topic Greetings and Salutations!
Satyrs can live anywhere.  They are fey-kin like nyphs and dryads.  Most people who have played satyrs (such as myself) have them come from their own little communities.  Usually these are small and in or near forests.  Your satyr can just as easily be from one of these or maybe from a city.  Anywhere really.  They get around.

OOG: Jo
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.500 seconds