Hey

• Rornak
  • Thank Yous: 0
07 Aug 2009 01:05 #1 by Rornak (Dago Cervantes)
Hey was created by Rornak (Dago Cervantes)
Hi, My name is Dave Witman I am 16 years old and have been playing RPGS for 9 years of my life. I have played lots of console RPG's and I've been playing Dungeons and Dragons religously for about 4 years. Most recently I have started playing World of Warcraft but I am not addicted to that game at all. Aside from playing RPG's I'm pretty active I play Football, Semi-pro Paintball, and Swim. I am also a volunteer FireFighter. I have always been interested in Medieval combat, in my pursuit to find a safe way to sword fight with my friends I found Boffer swords and eventually LARPing then I stumbled across KR and was happy to find that its near by me. I have read the rules and regs. for the past couple of days now and finally made my account. I am not sure if I whil attended the August event due to the fact that the following monday 2 a days for football start ( for those of you who are not to savy with Football jargon it meands two practices in 1 day). However if I do go im not sure if I should NPC or PC, I have LARPed before but only with a couple of friends so some advice would be nice from you guys. And thank you all who responded I look foward to meeting you all as soon as I can.

OOC: Dave Witman
  • Odo Garaath
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Back and Ready For More!
  • Thank Yous: 12
07 Aug 2009 09:36 #2 by Odo Garaath (Odo)
Replied by Odo Garaath (Odo) on topic Hey
Hey Dave!

Welcome to the forums!

"Praise be to Enax, and blessing to his followers."

(Tom Senger )
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
07 Aug 2009 10:25 #3 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Hey
Hi Dave,

I'll suggest NPCing your first event.  For one thing, it's free - if you don't like it, it didn't cost you anything.  Additionally, it's a good way to A) Get to know the game before you make a PC, B) Get to know the people who play, and C) You earn some additional Build and SP you can use to help your PC along when you do decide to make it.  Several people have done nothing but NPC for months, or even years, before making a PC!

Also, as a heads up - one of the rules of Knight Realms is that your PC cannot be named after an already established character from another series.  While your forum name is OK, you can NOT name your PC "Cervantes"  because he's an established villian in the Soul Edge / Blade / Calibur series of video games - we've already had to ask someone else to change their name for the very same reason!

It's easy to change your forum name down the line once you make a PC, so that should not be an issue.  (You can go into "My Profile" and simply change it there to whatever you want.)

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
  • Gallion
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank Yous: 2677
07 Aug 2009 11:15 #4 by Gallion (Gallion)
Replied by Gallion (Gallion) on topic Hey
Welcome Dave!

To PC or NPC your first event, is usually a very tough question in my opinion. I have known people who loved NPCing more than PCing and I have also known people who had a less than good experience, and because it was their first event, waited years to come back to try again and PC, only to realize they loved PCing.

The key thing to remember is simply that they can be two COMPLETELY different experiences. You might like them both, but you may hate one and love the other. There really is no good answer, because everyone's likes and dislikes are different, so really just think about what each entails, and decide which one you want to try first. ;)

- James C. Kimball Director, Knight Realms
  • Rornak
07 Aug 2009 12:22 #5 by Rornak (Dago Cervantes)
Replied by Rornak (Dago Cervantes) on topic Hey
I understand the rule about names but thanks for pointing out anyway and I dont plan on using that for my character name. Thanks for the suggestions about whether or not to PC or NPC I think I'm going to PC as I see my self having more fun PCing however I'm sure I would have fun doing either but I think Ill PC. Once again thanks for the suggestions

• GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
07 Aug 2009 12:24 #6 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Great, no problems on the Name thing.  I figured I'd rather warn you ahead of time, than need to change it after the fact. ;)

Steward of Elvalion
  • Rornak
07 Aug 2009 12:42 #7 by Rornak (Dago Cervantes)
I have a few more questions about my character in particular
1) I plan on playing a Celt BountyHunter, are there any other Celts out there if so how many?
2) Is there an easy way to make a kilt for my character aside from the kilt what other pieces of clothing should I wear as a celt or even as a bounty hunter?
3) I have looked through the site in hopes of creating a backstory for my character but where can I find like a village or town that a celt is from?

Sorry for nagging you guys for help so much. But thanks alot for the help

• geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
07 Aug 2009 13:38 #8 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic Hey
Find out about other Celts in game. 

I leave the other two questions to others.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
  • Rornak
08 Aug 2009 20:52 #9 by Rornak (Dago Cervantes)
Thanks yea im looking foward to meeting everybody hopefully I can make it to the upcoming event. I have one last question though, I,ve ben assembling a outfit for my character and I dont have a kilt yet however I have a Greyish Linen shirt and black sweats. Will I loose RP points for not having a kilt?

09 Aug 2009 19:58 #10 by Mordecai Ashfields (ambrose_leonidas)
Replied by Mordecai Ashfields (ambrose_leonidas) on topic Hey
Hi Dave!

I doubt that you will lose RP points considering how I looked my 1st event. =) I am a berserker barbarian! When I went to my 1st event I thought I'd be a Korm (they are the most basic humans with no real regulations) so as you might have guessed I went there looking rather not barbarian like ;) (I was dressed in a potato sack vest!) But I was told it would be better for me being a berserker to be a barbarian (they wear all furs and earth colors and what not) But everyone will give you a break when they see you don't worry they'll realize pretty quick your new. This is only my 3rd event myself and I have the whole thing pretty down pat now, but I am also rather new.

Also if you have the money, there are A LOT of people who can make you a very nice outfit. Right now I am having a Tabbard being made and soon a leather Baldric to carry my 2 handed sword, all from the nice players at knight realms :) So don't worry there are a lot of options.

With NPC or PC I'd say PC if you can get everything ready by then, either way you have to take a NPC shift so you can get to try out both.

With character history, you don't have to worry about towns or cities depending on your story you could say that you lived in a very small village, no one will question you on where.

On a final note I am also 16 and there are not very many of us at knight realms so it'll be nice to see someone new. Also 2 a days sucks, I had to do that to =/ But honestly I say go you'll have a blast!

Have fun,

Cody Queen

Rupert the adventurer

OOG: Cody Robert Queen
  • Rornak
09 Aug 2009 20:49 #11 by Rornak (Dago Cervantes)
Thanks for the advice Cody, I think I'm gunna look into buying some stuff at the markey while I'm there. I was actually pretty suprised when you said there's not alot of other 16 year olds their, but I have two friends who are going to start playing and ones 17 the other 15.

• GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
09 Aug 2009 22:54 #12 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Hey Dave,

Costuming is one of those things that evolves over time.  My first event playing my Gypsy over 10 years ago, the outfit consisted of a white poofy shirt, a purple bandanna, and a ridiculous pair of purple checkered pants.  Oh, and a home-made boffer sword.  That was it.  Everything else was normal stuff (like sneakers).

By the time I retired that PC, I had upgraded considerably.  Nice silk shirt, Moresca brand vest, leather Cavalier's hat with plumes, knee-high leather boots, a latex sword & dagger, etc.  The trick was, I didn't just drop a mound of money and buy it all at once.  Every few months, I would get one new thing.  One month it was boots, then a new silk shirt a few months after that.  A hat came in around Christmas time one year.  You get the idea - it's MUCH easier to do things gradually, and also helps the character grow.

There ARE specific requirements for playing some races.  Elves MUST have pointed ears.  Goblins MUST be green.  Celts MUST have a kilt, or some sort of Tartan, on them.  It's in the rules for a reason - it's a way of maintaining the atmosphere of the game.  If someone walked up to me and told me they were an Orc, but they weren't green, I would be very, very confused.  Similarly, if someone claimed to be a Celt without wearing the clothing that every Celt wears, it would be breaking the way the world looks.

You can find a way to make one cheap - find an inexpensive plaid fabric, and make a sash out of it.  It may be a quick job, but it's better than nothing (quite literally in this case!).  As time goes on, you may be able to upgrade to a better one, possibly even an authentic one if you're that much into it.  The good thing about kilts is that there's a lot of real-world historical resources to draw from (unlike elves & dwarves), and you can even find a lot of Scottish clothing online or at Ren Faires.  Do your homework, and you can come out looking amazing!

Steward of Elvalion
  • Rornak
10 Aug 2009 12:50 #13 by Rornak (Dago Cervantes)
Thnaks for the help I was fortunate enoguh to fing someone who has a kilt I could borrow for my first event, I have one ordered but it wont arrive until after the August event. But thanks for the advice on slowly making a costume, that makes a lot more sense. I was in a hurry to try and create a good costume but I think i'll follow your advice and asseble it gradually

• Matt D
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Photographer extraordinaire!
  • Thank Yous: 557
10 Aug 2009 13:37 #14 by Matt D (MattD)
Replied by Matt D (MattD) on topic Hey
The sweats will be fine.  In fact, they would be even better if you simply cut the elastic from the bottom of the legs.  I did the same thing my first event 7 years ago.  Just a pair of black sweatpants, bottoms cut off, and a "goth shirt" i bought on sale at Hot Topic for $8.  Now, you can see I've progressed into a much different outfit.

Also, to give you a heads up, I make inexpensive "hybrid" weapons.  They are lightweight, and built to look and resemble the higher end latex weapons, but they are constructed with duct tape, much like your sterotypical boffer weapon.  If you see me at the game, feel free to pull me aside and talk to me.  I've made roughly 2 dozen different players' weapons.  It's an inexpensive way for you to have a nice looking weapon until you manage to spring enouhg for one of the nice looking latex ones. :)

Elias Ashby
Proprietor of the Ashby Family General Store

Lord Templar Rayven Nightwing of the Order of Holy Light

(OOG - Matt D. - Photographer)
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
10 Aug 2009 13:45 #15 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
As a quick note - NO LOGOS.  There's a running saying at KR - "Just because you bought it at Hot Topic does NOT mean it's acceptable to wear at Knight Realms."

Things that are blatantly modern - especially anything with a logo or brand on it - are right out.  Celts (or goblins, or undead) don't wear Metallica shirts, or any other metal band's shirts, for that matter.

Shirts w/o the logo, or that are turned inside out so you can't see them, are OK, until something that looks better can be acquired.

Steward of Elvalion
  • Matt D
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
10 Aug 2009 13:49 #16 by Matt D (MattD)
Lol, you beat me to it Geoff.  I was just about to edit my post to mention that.

Elias Ashby

10 Aug 2009 15:11 #17 by Mordecai Ashfields (ambrose_leonidas)
^^^By the way, Matt (Rayven) made my sword and it look amazing! If you want a nice, durable, cheap weapon, see him for it. I can vouch for him.

Rupert the adventurer

10 Aug 2009 15:24 #18 by Dr. Kamei Kunsai (Kamei Lazuli)
Replied by Dr. Kamei Kunsai (Kamei Lazuli) on topic Hey
Welcome to the Forums and to KR ^_^
I am Shannon. I am a Kithan named Kamei Lazuli.

You'll have loads of fun, believe me. Everyone there is really nice and awesome.
I would put in my two cents about everything, but it seems that everyone else has already covered everything and I don't want to repeat the stuff they have said.

And yes! Also vouching for Matt(Rayven), he does an amazing job. He made my brothers weapon, one of mine, and a few of my friends. And they're so light weight and easy to use ^_^

Anyway! Hope to see you in game! Celts are always fun to meet.

[Kamei Kunsai, Vassal and Health Administer of Kaladonia]
[Luminista Petsho-Aeislin]

(oog: Shannon F.)
  • Rornak
10 Aug 2009 17:04 #19 by Rornak (Dago Cervantes)
Nice thanks for the heads up Ill have to chaeck out what he has in stock. I already have a latex hammer but I was gunna buy some stuff for my freinds when they started so they have a few things to begin with. But aside from weapons are there anygood sellers on armor at the faire?

• Matt D
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
10 Aug 2009 17:37 #20 by Matt D (MattD)
All my stuff is custom made, so there really isn't any stock.  But you will see some of the work I've done at the event.  Also, there are a couple people that make their own armor out of game as well, Cooper is one person I'd refer you to.  Mr. Tobias is another.  Cooper is there more often than Tobias, and makes some quality work if you are looking for some nice leather armor.  Just ask around, I'm sure you'll find that SOMEONE can help you out.

Elias Ashby

10 Aug 2009 18:05 #21 by Mordecai Ashfields (ambrose_leonidas)
Seriously..... when you go run into the inn and yell out "I need armor made!" and watch how many people go "ME ME ME!"

Rupert the adventurer

• Rornak
10 Aug 2009 18:50 #22 by Rornak (Dago Cervantes)
Wow thats pretty sweet that they would all jump that quickly, I was looking at some of the stuff Thorgrim has made I hope he brings one of the chestplates for him to the market I would probably buy it off of him there. And would that count as armor points for me or would I have to get like a full suit of leather in order to get the points?

• Thorgrim Ironfeld
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Half of an analysis....is anal.
10 Aug 2009 21:24 - 10 Aug 2009 21:47 #23 by Thorgrim Ironfeld (MitchC)
Replied by Thorgrim Ironfeld (MitchC) on topic Hey
I unfortunately will not be bringing a full cuirass with me this event. I usually make all my stuff (at least 90%) custom, just like Rayven, so there's not much benefit to keeping stuff in stock. The theory goes that everyone wants something special and specific to their character or persona and its easier to work from scratch.

If you or are interested in getting anything done, by all means check out all of us who are leatherworkers and see who's work you fits what you want, and shop around. I will have some items on hand to sell this event, but just because I had some extra materials and also was informally asked to make a few items for display. I've mostly (in the past) been a walking display for demo, so my kit items are usually designed for not only in game coolness, but to show off some options...a kind of walking resume. Last event I had little to show because I had to rebuild nearly all of my old kit (most of the leather was ruined during my long larping haitus) but since I've rebuilt most of that and I will certainly have more to show in future events (I can't wait to get my helm remade!!!! Curse the mold gods!!!).

To answer your question Rornak, any armor you wear will yeild AP of some kind, depending on the KR rules, but you will have to buy them in game or pay to have them made in game unless you have stuff with you at character creation, inwhich case you will get cards for your starter gear. I'm an in game smith, so I can do both, but just as I'm not the only guy making armor items out of game, there are other smiths in game (I'm a newbie smitth btw in game) and you will have no issue finding someone to help you out. Just ask around ....in game.

Cheers!

MC

OOG name: Mitch
Master Runesmith of Pendarvin

Don't let the grey hair fool you...wait scratch that...DO let the grey hair fool you.
_____
I make leather armor and various items for sca, larps and dagorhir. Here's my photobucket: s297.photobucket.com/albums/mm233/mc1csmo/
Last edit: 10 Aug 2009 21:47 by .
  • Rornak
10 Aug 2009 22:57 #24 by Rornak (Dago Cervantes)
Thanks for the advice Thorgrim now that I know for sure that I will be attending the event.
All of you guys who have posted on this thread have been really helpfull and I look foward to meeting you all at the event assuming that all of you will be there. And again thanks for all the help.

• Rornak
10 Aug 2009 22:59 #25 by Rornak (Dago Cervantes)
I have one last question for anybody whos willing to answer who exactly do I email my backstory to?

10 Aug 2009 23:41 #26 by Mordecai Ashfields (ambrose_leonidas)
Send it to the director James at

Rupert the adventurer

• GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
11 Aug 2009 10:07 #27 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Just as a quick guidline - there's two links on the Web Links (to the left) to stores that specifically sell Kilts.  Dave, I know you have one already or it's on the way, but since it was mentioned, I thought I'd bring it up. ;)

Both of them sell classical wool kilts, as well as more modern ones.  One sells inexpensive acrylic kilts (that run about $30), the other sells "Utility" kilts that have pockets, velcro, and camo patterns (i.e. - not for KR!).  Both do have a wide selection of different Tartans (plaid color schemes), which is nice.

Steward of Elvalion
11 Aug 2009 12:26 #28 by WayaMilenko (WayaMilenko)
Replied by WayaMilenko (WayaMilenko) on topic Hey
I also know of many shops, so if you don't find anything you like in those links just let me know and I'll give you some links.

Waya Milenko

(OOG-Clint)
  • Rornak
12 Aug 2009 18:51 #29 by Rornak (Dago Cervantes)
I recently recieved a PM from someone about borrowing a kilt for the August event and somehow it got deleted from my inbox. Whoever sent me the PM if you could send it again so I can find you at the event. That would be very helpfull

Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.710 seconds