Hear the Wolf howl.

09 Aug 2009 05:06 #1 by Tenebrae "Wolf" Stormwind (wolf)
Hear the Wolf howl. was created by Tenebrae "Wolf" Stormwind (wolf)
Hello to all of you fine citizens. I am Tenebrae Stormwind, (OOG Steve B) a new citizen of this realm. It's nice to meet you all, and I have but one question. I was wondering if a scythe, my weapon of choice, is considered a pole-arm or not.

Tenebrae "Wolf" Stormwind

(OOG-Steve.)
  • Elawyn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 177
09 Aug 2009 10:21 #2 by Elawyn (Elawyn)
Replied by Elawyn (Elawyn) on topic Hear the Wolf howl.
Hi Steve,

This is actually a completely Out of Game Board.  There is only one board in which we would use our character names to address one another, and thats the InGame Tavern boards (however, you must have at least played your character at an event to post there). 

As to your question, if you have managed to construct a safe and effective boffer scythe, it would count as a polearm.  However, in all my years here, I have never seen this done effectively, and there has been much debate on the subject.  The weapon would have to follow all the rules listed on boffer construction and safe combat listed in the rulebook, and as of yet this has not been successfully due to the very nature of a scythe.  If you have constructed one, it will need to pass a safety test at the event you attend from a rules marshal.

Thanks, and welcome to KR!

Defend the Land for it is the Base of the Pillar,

Elawyn Featherthorn Brightstar
Acolyte of the Circle of Ten & Chosen of Fey Lord Tillion
Guardian of Belladeen

---
OOG: Kristen M.
  • Matt D
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Photographer extraordinaire!
  • Thank Yous: 557
09 Aug 2009 10:43 #3 by Matt D (MattD)
Replied by Matt D (MattD) on topic Hear the Wolf howl.
Ive made two attempts at it, and both have failed, simply because it is VERY easy to hook someones limbs with a scythe.  Whether the blade is constructed out of foam or PVC covered in foam,  both haven't been safe enough.  As Kristin said, by all means try, and if you can figure out a way to keep it from hooking, I'd be the first one to ask for you to show me how its made for an Alt that I have.  :-)

Elias Ashby
Proprietor of the Ashby Family General Store

Lord Templar Rayven Nightwing of the Order of Holy Light

(OOG - Matt D. - Photographer)
09 Aug 2009 14:12 #4 by WayaMilenko (WayaMilenko)
Replied by WayaMilenko (WayaMilenko) on topic Hear the Wolf howl.
This kind of halberd is the closest I've seen to a scythe...which says a lot...

www.medievalcollectibles.com/p-5177-larp...grinder-halberd.aspx

Waya Milenko

(OOG-Clint)
09 Aug 2009 18:06 - 09 Aug 2009 18:10 #5 by Tenebrae "Wolf" Stormwind (wolf)
Replied by Tenebrae "Wolf" Stormwind (wolf) on topic Hear the Wolf howl.
Well, I haven't made it yet. My plan is a 6' shaft, a bent 4' blade, connected by a 90* connector, and only the blade is padded. That, and the butt end of the shaft. Plus I plan to make three basic swords. So if the scythe doesn't work out, I can go with a class that has Florentine Master. All in all, I'm really trying to combine my scythe and florentine master style. And another note is that I won't likely ever be able to make it to one of your events, but I plan to use your classes and rule sets when LARPing with my friends.

(OOG-Steve.)
Last edit: 09 Aug 2009 18:10 by .
09 Aug 2009 19:35 #6 by Mordecai Ashfields (ambrose_leonidas)
Replied by Mordecai Ashfields (ambrose_leonidas) on topic Hear the Wolf howl.
Hi Steve,

Hey man look, you can most likely come, you can get a ride from almost anyone, anywhere, you would be surprised!

Cheers,

Cody Queen

Rupert the adventurer

OOG: Cody Robert Queen
09 Aug 2009 20:32 #7 by Tenebrae "Wolf" Stormwind (wolf)
Well, I'm a minor, and my mom wouldn't let me.  And anyway, I don't have the cash to go anyway, and I live in Louisiana. WAY far trips. Even the closest one to me is too far. But my plan is to have my character be a Kormyrian Warrior, so that I can swap up between my scythe and my Florentine Master combo.

(OOG-Steve.)
  • JoDios
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • That guy with the muffin hat.
  • Thank Yous: 0
11 Aug 2009 09:59 #8 by JoDios (JoDios)
Replied by JoDios (JoDios) on topic Hear the Wolf howl.

And another note is that I won't likely ever be able to make it to one of your events, but I plan to use your classes and rule sets when LARPing with my friends.

Hi Steve,
Please do keep in mind that the game and rule set is copyrighted by the Director/Owner, James C. Kimball.  I would contact him first before doing so.

OOG: Jo
12 Aug 2009 09:56 #9 by Tenebrae "Wolf" Stormwind (wolf)
Well, turns out, that's a flop too. My friends aren't interested in LARP, so I'll just use my boffers to kick their arses.

(OOG-Steve.)
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.512 seconds