Is is teh newb!!

18 Aug 2009 00:50 #1 by CloudClimber (CloudClimber)
Is is teh newb!! was created by CloudClimber (CloudClimber)
Hi,
I've been digging through your site and I am very impressed.  I've been playing another larp for 5 years now and it's starting to go downhill.  I'd like to try out your game as it looks very similar to mine.  I've just got a few questions (as does every newb)

1.  casting: I believe I understand this but lets just go over it.  Mr. T is a caster..he has a set list of spells which he can cast and a set amount of magic points to cast with.  How does one regenerate the mana pool for casting?

2. NPC's- is there an NPC rotation that all the PC's must do their share to contribute?  Do the npc's actually gear up and look ING or do they just wear tabards to signify they are a "monster" judging by the gallery it's the first one but just checking.

3. how does ING knowledge work.  (In my game their called lores so I'll refer it to that) Johnny Storm has Lore-Fire.  He sees something Fiery and wants to study it and know about it.  Does he go up to staff and "bid" lore-fire "what do i know"  Is there anything like that and how does one acquire them.  being that the game is
based off classes I assumes certain classes can buy certain Lores. 

4. non-combat abilities.  I feel bad for asking this cuz I'm sure it's somewhere..but here i go.  Is there a skill list of RP skills that one can purchase or are they under my profession.  EX: in my game there is a combat skills list and a "talent" list.  The talents are used in non-combat and include generic healing, Lore's and smithing. is there anything like that?

5. Armor- obviously better armor gives more armor points.  Is it possible for the armor wearer to have like..300 armor points and a whopping 4 BP? what's an example of a powerful warrior's armor pool?

6. Death-i must say I am in love with your death rules.  Our game no longer has the fear of perm'ing..which i personally feel adds a great deal to the atmosphere of the game.  My question is: when you die you drop your personal affects.  Does that include coin, and any other misc. item you have on you?  If Bobby Teenager walks up on my jonx can he just pick it up and walk away?

7. Currency- do you have an ING form of currency? i.e. do you guys mint your own coins?

8. Tags- what form of tag do you label your items with?  If I have a sword how does someone know it's ING? My larp prints 1x2 inch tags and laments them for everything ranging from swords and armor to alchemical components (we then attach them to said item.)  I've seen some larp's use popsicle sticks to represent all their items.

9. Co-hab- what's the rule on co-habitation?  Am I ganna wake up in the middle of the night with 2 night elves bumping uglies in the cot next to mine?

10. is there a min. age requirement for players?

11. Is there a game-wide insurance policy?  so if I impale myself on a stick and we need to call an ambulance do i front the entire medical bill or does the game help out?  (our GM has everyone join the BSA for insurance purposes =P)

12. Are we required to sleep? Are there cabins which we can sleep in or do we have to bring ING tents?  within the sleeping thing is there a point in which the staff stop sending out NPC's to wreck up on us?

that's all I can think of for a moment...thank you!
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
18 Aug 2009 10:48 #2 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic Is is teh newb!!
As I am not a rules marshal, I will content myself with answering #12.

There is no requirement to sleep - indeed, many have a reputation for not sleeping, or if they do, not much.  I am near the (hell, I currently am) the oldest player, and sleep really matters.  If you want to be your best at 2200 Saturday night, it is a good idea to at least get a few naps along the way.  Add to that the safety factor when driving home Sunday, and I will have to opine that it is a BAD idea not to sleep at all during the Event.

That said, it is good to pick a safe place or good company, as there is only one thing worse than waking up (if you are a light sleeper - the worst is not waking up) hearing someone say "killing blow four..."

In this miserably hot and humid weather (officially in the nineties for both), is is essential, IMNSHO.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
  • Odo Garaath
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Back and Ready For More!
  • Thank Yous: 12
18 Aug 2009 11:08 #3 by Odo Garaath (Odo)
Replied by Odo Garaath (Odo) on topic Is is teh newb!!
Hey there!

Welcome to KR.

Don't forget to sign your posts.

"Praise be to Enax, and blessing to his followers."

(Tom Senger )
  • Edward Walker
  • Let me cut to the point to get to the heart of the issue.
  • Thank Yous: 15
18 Aug 2009 12:59 #4 by Edward Walker (Liam)
Replied by Edward Walker (Liam) on topic Is is teh newb!!

5. Armor- obviously better armor gives more armor points.  Is it possible for the armor wearer to have like..300 armor points and a whopping 4 BP? what's an example of a powerful warrior's armor pool?

I can tell you that yes, you can run around with a ton of armor and a little bit of body points.  A few people do it actually.  Once the armor runs out though, it all relys on that little bit of body points.

Doctor Edward D. Walker

OOG:
Liam Neary
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
18 Aug 2009 13:09 #5 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Is is teh newb!!
Welcome to the Knight Realms forums!

Please take a moment to read the Forums Rules (listed under "Rules" at the top of the forums) - one of our rules is that you must sign all of your posts with your OOG name.  It's easiest if you add it to your Signature in your forum profile, and it will automatically appear on all your posts, past and future.

Questions 1 through 8 are mostly answered in the Online Rulebook - 9 and 10 can be answered by reading the Policies & Statements part of the Rulebook, which is also its own link on the left under "Knight Realms."

I am going to STRONGLY encourage you to read the Rulebook thoroughly instead of just asking questions here.  We put a lot of effort into putting as much as we can into the rulebook to make it public and easy to find - asking about a rule that's 2 clicks away on the website will come off as lazy.  We don't want to have to re-type the rulebook each time a new player signs up. ;)  There's also a search function for the whole site at the bottom of the left column.

For some of your questions that aren't quite covered by the rules:

We do have In-Game coins we use, a few varieties of silver & gold.

We do have an insurance policy - our camps would not allow us to operate without one.  If you need further details, you will need to contact James, the Director and owner of the game.

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
18 Aug 2009 14:58 #6 by CloudClimber (CloudClimber)
Replied by CloudClimber (CloudClimber) on topic Is is teh newb!!
Thanks,
I know how frustrating it can be to rewrite the rules for new players every month.  Just needed a push in the direction of where I can find the answers.  ^_^.  I'll let ya'll know if I can't find soemthing.

Mike
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.538 seconds