New Gypsy question

• Narko
  • Thank Yous: 0
18 Aug 2009 21:39 #1 by Narko (Narko)
New Gypsy question was created by Narko (Narko)
A friend of mine has just introduced me to the world of larping and ever since i've been reading up on this site about races and clases and what not. I'd like to play a gypsy, though I'm concerned on where to find bracelets, necklaces, and other jewelry common to the gypsy standard that are of little value so i won't loose or break something of major importance.

Don't argue with idiots
they tend to drag you down to their level  and beat you with experience.

OOC: Theo J. Xenophon
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
18 Aug 2009 21:55 #2 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic New Gypsy question
As an Ex-Gypsy (I retired mine recently), I can tell you that there's a ton of places to be creative and get cheap props.

Hit your local Wal*Mart or such, and get the cheapest, gaudiest jewelery you can find.  I cleaned out a rack of plastic gold-colored bangles back in the day with minimal damage to my pocket.

The other big thing to find is a Coin Belt, which you can get from bellydancing stores or Ren Faires.  Guys wear them too!

With the popularity of the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise, there's a lot of Pirate / Gypsy stuff out there on the cheap.  Just be careful to mix it up some, and don't come in looking like a cheap knock off of Jack Sparrow.  A ring here, a necklace there, and something similar, but not the same, to the movies and you can get away with it.  Also, you can always start off small and gradually add stuff over time.

(Also, don't forget the hat!  No gypsy would be caught dead without a fashionable, distinctive, hat!)

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
  • Tyra Silverfang
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • I eat dark god babies...
  • Thank Yous: 0
18 Aug 2009 22:51 #3 by Tyra Silverfang (Pracika Nightwing)
Replied by Tyra Silverfang (Pracika Nightwing) on topic New Gypsy question
My secondary character is a gypsy and as far as jewelry and accessories go

Bracelets, earrings and necklaces could all be found at stores like the DEB, Fashion Bug, Wal*Mart, even thrift stores with very little damage to your pocket. Considering the whole peasant look is in right now, loose fitting blouses are pretty easy to find as well.

As far as coin belts are concerned, since halloween is coming up, check your local Costume stores. And if you have specialized costume shops (ones that are open year round or only weekends) they usually have them. Another place to check are Renfaires and even farmer's markets. You can also check into local health clubs that offer belly dancing classes and they should be able to direct you in the way of finding a decent coin/hip belt.

I got pretty lucky because I sewed a lot of my own costuming.... fashionable hat included!

"There is a difference between a hero and a coward. A Hero wakes willing to risk death. A coward wakes wishing for it."

OOG: Adi
  • Kathara
  • Thank Yous: 1
19 Aug 2009 03:44 #4 by Kathara (Kathara)
Replied by Kathara (Kathara) on topic New Gypsy question
I get most of my jewelry at clairs, walmart and target. I however don't have an awesome hat but I do have 3 coin belts all gotten at lingerie stores though the renn faire and dance stores are good for them too. I also wear a lot of scarves that I get from all over the place. Gypsy costumes are fun because they'll wear anything.

Kathara Spero- Gypsy Healer
OOG- Karen Schwander
  • Seamstress
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Sew much fabric, sew little time
  • Thank Yous: 1
19 Aug 2009 06:47 #5 by Seamstress (Seamstress)
Replied by Seamstress (Seamstress) on topic New Gypsy question
Don't need to / want to comment about jewelry, but there are also folk around (like me ;)) who will sew a custom costume for you, although you can often find serviceable clothes at second-hand stores, etc. with which to start.  Feel free to PM me for details, prices, etc.  Several players wear my garb and I think they will vouch that it is well-made for reasonable prices.

OOG ~ Tina S ~ aka Seamstress
Primary Location 42°42' N, 75°11' W
Preferred Location 18°22'N, 78°14'W
  • Lina Marinescu
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Only the curious have something to find
  • Thank Yous: 78
19 Aug 2009 16:55 #6 by Lina Marinescu (Ismaesumi)
Replied by Lina Marinescu (Ismaesumi) on topic New Gypsy question
Farmers markets are a great place to get cheap jewelry too. I also play a gypsy and worry about my jewelry falling off/breaking etc. Word of advice is, if you can't live without it, don't wear it, especially if you plan on playing a fighting class. If your class is more RP, you may be able to get away with some nicer jewelry. You can always go to a craft store or Walmart and buy some beads and string stuff together. The nice thing about playing a gypsy is that your stuff doesn't have to match, just throw stuff together and you're good to go!

Also, a great hat is awesome, but not always affordable. Look at Goodwill or other thrift stores and you may be able to find something.

This site is also great for helping you figure out how to piece together a costume:

westwood.fortunecity.com/armani/208/costume.html

Looking forward to meeting you and always remember, if you have more questions, feel free to ask!

IG- Lina Marinescu
OOG- Katie M.- Lead Monster Marshal

The stalwart soul has the will to live and is eager for the race ~Taylor Caldwell

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
19 Aug 2009 21:24 #7 by fatherdaemos (fatherdaemos)
Replied by fatherdaemos (fatherdaemos) on topic New Gypsy question
You can also hit a goodwill or second hand store and get lots of jewelry that is ugly cheap.

Brian
Player of Father Daemos Jord

Father Daemos Jord

OOC: Brian
"God, on high...hear my prayer, In my need you have always been there"
20 Aug 2009 15:32 #8 by Alexandre Blythewood (Eleventh Phoenix)
Replied by Alexandre Blythewood (Eleventh Phoenix) on topic New Gypsy question
Any Craft store sells beads, bangles, charms, cord, and clasps for making your own necklace.  Also, such stores will sell bells for giving your character that extra jingle every Gypsy needs.

-Alexandre Blythewood

OOG: Zach Theis
  • Kelly
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Thank Yous: 134
26 Aug 2009 21:16 #9 by Kelly (Kelly)
Replied by Kelly (Kelly) on topic New Gypsy question
Jo-an Fabrics has a good craft section, you can make necklaces and jingly things from their selection. You can also go to the trim section and buy yards of coins that you can attach to the bottom of any clothing or bags to make loud clothing. Pieces of wind chimes, beads, bells, glass pieces can also give you a really different jingly sound. 

Dame Zafrin Yhatzi
Knight of Drega'mire

OOG: Kelly Osborne
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.499 seconds