Hello

03 Sep 2009 18:16 #1 by Miningfire (Miningfire)
Hello was created by Miningfire (Miningfire)
Welp, I'm new. There that's outta the way. Note really sure what to say/ask first so try to bear with me if this comes out in a jumble. I've never done LARPing and I'm quite nervous about my first event (little anxiety problem but mostly general nervousness).  I've done some D&D with some RP and liked it well enough, but I realize, it will be nothing near like it. I will most likely attend with a friend, his brother, another friend and her boyfriend. I've been reading a lot of the rulebook online and think I ran across something saying that if I plan to be something other than human (seeing as I'm trying to get away from being human), I should NPC my first event (not that it really matters as you'll see).  I'm pretty sure that I would like to start my PC out as an Alchemist (I don't really want  a lot of combat), but there in lies my question. I don't have a job right now, so I don't have much money to spend (I always have a very very hard time finding and getting a job). So I was wondering (as it will probably come down to it), will I be able to keep NPCing whole events until I can afford to PC (to keep building up points and stuff to try to stay the same level as my friends when I can PC). Also, would said points keep accumulating until I can make a PC? I think that's about it for now. If I have more questions, I'll be sure to ask. Thanks

- Steve Illsley
  • Elawyn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 177
03 Sep 2009 18:40 #2 by Elawyn (Elawyn)
Replied by Elawyn (Elawyn) on topic Hello
Hello and welcome to the forums!

You could NPC for years, accumulating all the points you want, until you feel ready to make a PC.  In fact, there are some players who have done just that.  You get a card just like everyone else, only a box is marked "NPC card", and you're build accumulation will simply keep being recorded on that each event you come and NPC. 

You do not have to NPC your first event if you want to play a race other than human, however.  The only restrictions on race are for those few races aptly called "Restricted Races", which require director approval.  NPCing full events is a great way to get to know rules and combat, but just keep in mind that it is certainly a much different experience than PCing - some people love it as much if not more, some people absolutely hate it.  Its a matter of personal preference. 

Defend the Land for it is the Base of the Pillar,

Elawyn Featherthorn Brightstar
Acolyte of the Circle of Ten & Chosen of Fey Lord Tillion
Guardian of Belladeen

---
OOG: Kristen M.
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
03 Sep 2009 20:32 #3 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Hello
One of the advantages to NPCing for a while is that the build you gain for NPCing does not count as a "played event" for your PC.

When you first make a PC, it will earn build quickly, but over the first 12 events or so, it begins to diminish until the base amount you earn is 1 build an event, plus extras for Service Points, Bought Build, etc - but these you need to earn or buy.

When you NPC, you earn a steady 2 build, plus 2 more for Service Points, for each event (and without paying for it!).  That's 4 build an event over time... and when you are ready to PC and have all that build banked up and ready to go, they start of like any other PC, at the beginning build rate.  You'll earn it just as quickly as any other new PC while still having your backstock of build from NPCing.  You'll be able to keep matched, and even be ahead, of people who PCed to start with.  You'll just need to catch up by learning skills quickly, but that usually isn't too hard to do.

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.480 seconds