I'm new and nervous

• illyria
  • Thank Yous: 0
23 Sep 2009 00:28 #1 by illyria (illyria)
I'm new and nervous was created by illyria (illyria)
Hi everyone, I'm going to be coming to the September event with my boyfriend and I am really nervous about not knowing what I am doing.  Does anyone have any advice or anything cause i'm almost shaking in my boots about trying this out.  I'll be NPC-ing the whole weekend, but am terrified of messing up somehow.

IG:TBD
OOGGina M.

OOG - Gina M

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"
  • BalindorIN
  • Thank Yous: 13
23 Sep 2009 04:06 #2 by BalindorIN (BalindorIN)
Replied by BalindorIN (BalindorIN) on topic I'm new and nervous
  This will be my first KR event as well, and I will also be an NPC all weekend.  However I have been larping out here in Indiana for almost 7 years now, and over the years  I have learned a few things about getting people to relax when they join us.

First, just relax and enjoy the setting and game itself. No one is going to be talking like a Shakespearean actor; few people can even remember the proper use of thee or thou. No one is going to laugh at you because you don't know how to fight; everyone in this hobby started out as a beginner at one time or another.

When you get right down to it, we are all just a bunch of grown up geeks running around in the woods, chasing other grown up geeks and hitting them with plumbing supplies. Which means no one is going to giggle at you behind your back...unless you happen to do something funny; then all bets are off. ;)

Pelinderian,

OOG: Jeff Mininger
23 Sep 2009 05:49 #3 by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred)
Replied by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred) on topic I'm new and nervous
Have a warm sleeping bag, and warm black clothes.

-OOG Michael Smith
  • Misaki
  • Dark Sith? Where?!
  • Thank Yous: 23
23 Sep 2009 07:14 #4 by Misaki (cbodnar)
Replied by Misaki (cbodnar) on topic I'm new and nervous
Welcome!

To kinda shadow some other statements that have been said, just have fun with it!  If you do get confused about something, there's tons of people around who have been doing this for a while and would be more than willing to help you out.  Just breathe, relax, and enjoy a weekend full of fun, frivolity and, yes, foam weaponry  ;D

Enjoy!

Misaki Xianlu VonRitter, the Nemesis

Vassal of Pendarvin

"Evil Must Be Destroyed"

• Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Half of an analysis....is anal.
23 Sep 2009 08:01 #5 by Thorgrim Ironfeld (MitchC)
Replied by Thorgrim Ironfeld (MitchC) on topic I'm new and nervous
Welcome. Since you are planning to npc you will be given alot of guidance, so don't fret. Don't be shy to ask questions of people, and if you find yourself in a situation where you don't know an affect or a call from a player, just quickly ask 'clarify' and get back to whatever you are doing. Its the easiest way to not break immersion for others nearby and no one will fault you for taking a second to ask so you know how to react. Other than that, make sure to stay within whatever character you are given, roleplay accordingly (nothing is more annoying than hearing npc's chatting at the top of their lungs oog about their last fight when players are nearby trying to be in character lol), and most of all have fun. You are there to enjoy yourself, and as an npc, entertain the players too, so do so. :)

OOG name: Mitch
Master Runesmith of Pendarvin

Don't let the grey hair fool you...wait scratch that...DO let the grey hair fool you.
_____
I make leather armor and various items for sca, larps and dagorhir. Here's my photobucket: s297.photobucket.com/albums/mm233/mc1csmo/
  • Secarius
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Cinis et Cinis Pulvis Et Pulvis
  • Thank Yous: 1
23 Sep 2009 08:54 #6 by Secarius (Secarius)
Replied by Secarius (Secarius) on topic I'm new and nervous
As Balindor IN said we are all a bunch of grown p geeks running around the woods in funny clothes smacking other grown up geeks with foam rubber covered plumbing supplies while shouting numbers and adjectives at eachother. quite a silly thing of its own right... it really is quite like a video game.. where the players are a town of mario, Luigi, sonic & samusi...samuses?... and you the NPC's are a bunch of Goomba's & koopa troopers =)

we're all here to have fun. we always do! and Im certain you will too!...

also there's Brandon the new player officer he run's New player training before lay on at each event and Im 100% certain he can asuade any nervousness you may have and answer any questions you might come up with.

welcome aboard and have fun!

ALex S.
player of Brax the Barbarian
  • Lina Marinescu
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Only the curious have something to find
  • Thank Yous: 78
23 Sep 2009 09:56 #7 by Lina Marinescu (Ismaesumi)
Replied by Lina Marinescu (Ismaesumi) on topic I'm new and nervous
Yes, Brendon will be able to help you. As sword fighting, etc goes, I've been going for about a year now and I still am not very good with a sword. The fighters you see who are amazing took years of practice and trial and error to get that way. NPCing is a great way to get started at KR, it will allow you to choose what you would like to be as a PC, you can get a handle on RP and other logistics of the game, and you get to meet other players both in and out of game.

I NPCed for the first 3 or 4 months before I started PCing, and there were others who did it for years before starting a PC *cough* Vince *cough*. And it's free too!

IG- Lina Marinescu
OOG- Katie M.- Lead Monster Marshal

The stalwart soul has the will to live and is eager for the race ~Taylor Caldwell

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
23 Sep 2009 10:09 #8 by Mordecai Ashfields (ambrose_leonidas)
Replied by Mordecai Ashfields (ambrose_leonidas) on topic I'm new and nervous

Have a warm sleeping bag, and warm black clothes.

Word. Also, if your going to NPC all weekend, get ready to die a lot!

Rupert the adventurer

OOG: Cody Robert Queen
  • Erim Walker
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • I love Travance. There are shirtless men EVERYWHER
23 Sep 2009 10:10 #9 by Erim Walker (shiva14b)
Replied by Erim Walker (shiva14b) on topic I'm new and nervous
The number one tip I would give:  Don't judge people by their in-game personas. Peoples character personalities are sometimes very much at odds with their own personalities, and the hardest, meanest paragon of Galmachis is often in real life a sweet, cuddly [murder]bear. If someone is mean or rude to you in game, take a breath and wait until you meet them out of game to pass judgement (as it were).

Of course, there's also sometimes the unpleasant realization that its not just someones character who is a jerk, but those are usually few and far between ^_^.

"Ok we can attack... but if we miss, we'll hit the villagers."
"I'm willing to take that chance!"

Things I am no longer allowed to do in an RPG :
31. The backup trap handler is not whoever has the most HP at the time.
73. Not allowed to name my cudgel Ceremonial Whoopass Stick.
74. My thief's battle cry is not "Run And Live"

[OOG Jenna
23 Sep 2009 11:21 #10 by The Bastard (The Bastard)
Replied by The Bastard (The Bastard) on topic I'm new and nervous
What do ya know! Chalk me up as another first-timer who is also NPC-ing the whole time. A friend of mine is doing it with me, however, so I won't be by myself the whole time (which I'd be okay with, but, you know, every little bit helps).

While I've never been to a game, I've been on the boards long enough to know that KR is really just a giant family, complete with youngins, old-timers, in-laws, and redheaded stepchildren. So if you tell some of the other NPCs, I'm sure they wouldn't mind going over any qualms you may have before lay-on on Friday, or even that night when you return to the barracks.

The same goes for the players. They're understanding that you may not know all the rules, so if you ask a quick "clarify!" they can roll the effect off their tongue and you both can continue. I'm a little nervous myself, as I don't want to disrupt the fun since I'm an NPC here for the PCs, but I know deep down that everything will be alright!

Though one tip is: Just because someone looks weak OOG (or even IG!) doesn't mean they can't kick your butt IG (or...OOG, too!)

(also, my vote is for "Samuses," ALex)

"Justice denied anywhere diminishes Justice everywhere"-MLK Jr.

(OOG: Tim Hale)

"Justice is the bread of any nation; it is always hungry for it." - François R. Chateaubriand
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
23 Sep 2009 16:32 #11 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic I'm new and nervous

The number one tip I would give:  Don't judge people by their in-game personas. Peoples character personalities are sometimes very much at odds with their own personalities

True... I like the Master of Games, but hate Alex T who plays him.  ;)

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
  • illyria
24 Sep 2009 15:49 #12 by illyria (illyria)
Replied by illyria (illyria) on topic I'm new and nervous
Thank you all for the advice and support, this makes me more excited to try it out :)  Thanks again!!

Illyria

OOG:Gina M

OOG - Gina M

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.547 seconds