Dual Swords

• JoeWolf
  • Thank Yous: 0
24 Sep 2009 22:26 #1 by JoeWolf (JoeWolf)
Dual Swords was created by JoeWolf (JoeWolf)
Ok, this is probably a question that is found somewhere on this site. However, i would like to see in detail what others think....... so without delay i have a few questions to ask about dual swords.

First, can you use dual swords?
If so then im assuming there is a skill needed?
If there is a skill needed; what is it called?
If there is a skill; what must i do to master said skill?
Once mastered can i freely use any dual (one handed) weapon of my choosing like; dagger and claws or something?
Finally, who uses dual swords? (you dont have to say you do if a friend does then thats fine to) also how does it compair to single weapons?
(alot of questions huh lol)

Please answer honestly with you own personal opinions all replys are accepted :D

Thanks, Everyone

OOG-Joe Bilski
IG- Dante Devotah
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
24 Sep 2009 23:16 - 25 Nov 2012 21:15 #2 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic Dual Swords
Hi...
First welcome to the website.  As you posted, yes the rules regarding using 2 weapons (aka dual-wielding) is on the website in our online rulebook.  We have rules on who can answer questions (marshals and officers) so I will let them speak on this.  We always highly recommend a new player reads the online rulebook.  We admit it's lengthy, huge, and covers a lot... which can be intimidating at first.  However, it's worth reading as it keeps from having to be repeating in answering questions and such.  Plus, for some of us... it's a fun read (ok, for those of us who like to study rules, find loopholes, and generally be smart-asses  ;)).

As for personal opinions... who wouldn't wanna look cool, holding 2 weapons and fighting with them?

For some folks, they like it.  For others... not so much.  Since we are a boffer-combat group, a bit of real-life skill is useful in being able to do 2-weapon fighting or at least some good hand-eye coordination and agility.

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
Last edit: 25 Nov 2012 21:15 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller).
  • LStarling
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Cursed Healer
  • Thank Yous: 20
25 Sep 2009 11:59 #3 by LStarling (Kwildar)
Replied by LStarling (Kwildar) on topic Dual Swords
To further expound on what Paul had to say: The skill in question you want to look at is called 'Florentine', it's got a pretty detailed write up in the 'Skills' section of the rulebook, reading up on it there might be a good idea.

Only certain professions can get Florentine on their list, of which Swashbuckler and Warrior are two of the more prominent.  Bear in mind that you can only Florentine with two weapons of which you already have the in game knowledge of how to wield.

There are specific restrictions on the size of both the primary and off-hand weapons you can wield, (Though some of those restrictions can be lifted with the Florentine Master skill)  again, I highly recommend reading what the rulebook has to say on the matter. :-)

--
Lawrence Starling -- IG
"Really, bee! I don't smell flower-y!"
Malcolm Mallardi -- OOG
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
28 Sep 2009 16:00 #4 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic Dual Swords
Read the rules before playing.  It seems so obvious to me.  How can one properly play a game without knowing the rules?  Then, how many US citizens have read the Constitution of the United States? :'(

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
  • JoeWolf
28 Sep 2009 18:08 #5 by JoeWolf (JoeWolf)
Replied by JoeWolf (JoeWolf) on topic Dual Swords
:D Thanks everyone who replyed. I did read the rules and understand a little better however im still confused on how to master a skill can someone tell me where i can find out how or tell me how?

OOG-Joe Bilski
IG- Dante Devotah
28 Sep 2009 18:16 #6 by Draknar DoKanen (Draknar DoKanen)
Replied by Draknar DoKanen (Draknar DoKanen) on topic Dual Swords
What do you mean by "mastering" a skill?

-Sean

Skimmel
RP Marshal, Rules Marshal, Storyteller
28 Sep 2009 20:23 #7 by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred)
Replied by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred) on topic Dual Swords
You learn skills in game from others that know the skill, and who have the skill 'teach'.  It takes about 5 minutes of learning for every 2 build the skill costs.  There should be some role-play of the skill, and often people will spend longer teaching then is required due to the Role-Play aspect of it.  You do not immediately know the skill after that session, but rather it is assumed your character spends the next month training in that skill and by the next event you have learned the skill.

-OOG Michael Smith
  • JoeWolf
29 Sep 2009 22:09 #8 by JoeWolf (JoeWolf)
I see, hmmmmm well when i say master i mean like become a master at it lol the rules state that after you master florentine you can use like two one handed edges instead of a dagger or knife which i want i normally dual swords in matches at other things so i was wondering if its ok to do such and if i need to "master" said skill how to do so

OOG-Joe Bilski
IG- Dante Devotah
  • Elawyn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 177
29 Sep 2009 22:26 #9 by Elawyn (Elawyn)
Replied by Elawyn (Elawyn) on topic Dual Swords
Its not that you "master" florentine - I see where your confusion is.  Its that there are two skills: Florentine and Master Florentine.  To learn the skill called Master Florentine, which allows one to weild two 1 Handed Edge-sized swords, one must have already learned Florentine.  But thats no different from many other skills in the game that require one to know a prerequisite skill before learning another. 

Just to clarify, here is a link to the "Learning Skills" section of the Rulebook:
www.knightrealms.com/index.php?option=co...ew&id=156&Itemid=179

Defend the Land for it is the Base of the Pillar,

Elawyn Featherthorn Brightstar
Acolyte of the Circle of Ten & Chosen of Fey Lord Tillion
Guardian of Belladeen

---
OOG: Kristen M.
29 Sep 2009 22:38 - 29 Sep 2009 22:42 #10 by The Bastard (The Bastard)
Replied by The Bastard (The Bastard) on topic Dual Swords

I see, hmmmmm well when i say master i mean like become a master at it lol the rules state that after you master florentine you can use like two one handed edges instead of a dagger or knife which i want i normally dual swords in matches at other things so i was wondering if its ok to do such and if i need to "master" said skill how to do so

Well, that goes back to the difference between IG and OOG skills. The skill is called Master Florentine (as opposed to a separate, but similar skill, called Florentine), but, of course, that doesn't mean anyone with it is ACTUALLY any good at it (much less a "master"). The same can be said of the reverse, if you don't have it, you could still really awesome with two light (or 1H and one light) weapon. So the difference is only that you can wield two 1H weapons if you have Master Florentine, that's it.

How you actually go about it once you've learned it from a teacher and spent the proper amount of Build? Well, practice practice practice! That way you can, erm, master (the verb) being a Master Florentine.

I'm gonna echo Elawyn above me: I think you accidently confused yourself with Florentine and Master Florentine. Usually you have to learn Florentine first, so you "Master" Florentine when you go look for someone to teach you the skill Master Florentine ^_^

"Justice denied anywhere diminishes Justice everywhere"-MLK Jr.

(OOG: Tim Hale)

"Justice is the bread of any nation; it is always hungry for it." - François R. Chateaubriand
Last edit: 29 Sep 2009 22:42 by .
  • Erdrick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 161
30 Sep 2009 08:13 #11 by Erdrick (Erdrick)
Replied by Erdrick (Erdrick) on topic Dual Swords
I believe you are confusing the word master as a descriptor and not part of its name. There are two seperate skills, "Florentine" and "Florentine Master" or "Master Florentine". If you look at lists like Swashbuckler and Warrior they have both available to them. To learn Florentine Master you'd need the pre-req from the list you are learning it from. Swashbuckler requires florentine, and weapon prof + 1 to learn Florentine Master.

So to learn and fully utilize Florentine Master from the swashbuckler list you'd need something like (*) signifies the build cost
(2) 1 Handed Edge
(1) Small Weapon
(2) Florentine
(10) Weapon Prof + 1 (pick a weapon and hand, generally most would go 1 Handed Edge, right hand)
(3) Florentine Master

Essentially it would take 18 build for a player to learn Florentine Master off the swashbuckler list but that would mean he'd pretty much have no other skills.

Lord Erdrick Brightstar
Guardian of Belladeen
(Samuel Roberts)
  • Erim Walker
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • I love Travance. There are shirtless men EVERYWHER
30 Sep 2009 09:16 #12 by Erim Walker (shiva14b)
Replied by Erim Walker (shiva14b) on topic Dual Swords

Essentially it would take 18 build for a player to learn Florentine Master off the swashbuckler list but that would mean he'd pretty much have no other skills.

*Is getting Florentine Master this weekend, and pretty much has no other skills*

"Ok we can attack... but if we miss, we'll hit the villagers."
"I'm willing to take that chance!"

Things I am no longer allowed to do in an RPG :
31. The backup trap handler is not whoever has the most HP at the time.
73. Not allowed to name my cudgel Ceremonial Whoopass Stick.
74. My thief's battle cry is not "Run And Live"

[OOG Jenna
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
30 Sep 2009 09:54 #13 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic Dual Swords
For anyone else who may wind up reading this... I'm pretty sure the skill Florentine isn't just limited to swords or edged weapons.  We're just using swords (or the 1-Handed Edged skill requirement) as that was what the OP was asking about.  Again, I will let the smarter folks like Kristen, Sam, Mike, or any other marshal/officer speak to that.  :)

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
  • JoeWolf
30 Sep 2009 21:52 #14 by JoeWolf (JoeWolf)
OHHHH I see thanks, ok i didnt know it was a seperate skill i assumed you needed to use Florentine for like a set amount of time or something lol

OOG-Joe Bilski
IG- Dante Devotah
30 Sep 2009 22:24 #15 by The Bastard (The Bastard)
Replied by The Bastard (The Bastard) on topic Dual Swords

OHHHH I see thanks, ok i didnt know it was a seperate skill i assumed you needed to use Florentine for like a set amount of time or something lol

No worries, mate! That's what the community is for :-)

"Justice denied anywhere diminishes Justice everywhere"-MLK Jr.

(OOG: Tim Hale)

"Justice is the bread of any nation; it is always hungry for it." - François R. Chateaubriand
  • Erim Walker
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • I love Travance. There are shirtless men EVERYWHER
01 Oct 2009 09:31 #16 by Erim Walker (shiva14b)
Replied by Erim Walker (shiva14b) on topic Dual Swords
Technically, that's what the Rules Marshals are for :-)

"Ok we can attack... but if we miss, we'll hit the villagers."
"I'm willing to take that chance!"

Things I am no longer allowed to do in an RPG :
31. The backup trap handler is not whoever has the most HP at the time.
73. Not allowed to name my cudgel Ceremonial Whoopass Stick.
74. My thief's battle cry is not "Run And Live"

[OOG Jenna
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.603 seconds