Racial skills vs Profession

01 Oct 2009 00:11 #1 by Dynamic Reality (Dynamic Reality)
Racial skills vs Profession was created by Dynamic Reality (Dynamic Reality)
So I was just curious as whether you are also required to have a teacher for any skills that happen to fall under your Racial Skill list. I also noticed some of the skills there cost less than the profession as well...does that also mean you can purchase it for the lower cost vs what it lists on your Profession? Such as something like "Martial Arts Proficiency +1" it costs 5 on the Khitan racial...does this mean +2, etc also cost this amount? And is there a limit to the number of times you can continue to increase your + Proficiency?

Character: Lee Yu Sheng
OOG: Josh M.

"Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated."
    - Confucius
  • Andy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 157
01 Oct 2009 01:43 #2 by Andy (Andy)
Replied by Andy (Andy) on topic Racial skills vs Profession
Taken directly from the section on Races and Racial Skills in the rulebook;
"Racial Skill List

Each race also has a racial skill list, from which a character can purchase a pre-set list of skills appropriate for that race. All racial skills can only be purchased one time, unless otherwise noted. You do not need to have a teacher to learn racial skills; you can inherently develop use of the skills by purchasing them. "

So no you do not need a teacher for the one isntance of each skill that appears on your Racial Skil list.  If you wished to learn more then one instance of a skill on your Racial Skill list you would need to have a class that had access to that skill and you would need to pay the build cost as per that class list, rather then your Racial Skill list. 

There is no limit on the number of times you can buy a Weapon/Martial Arts Proficiency.

-Sir Hurgar
Knight of Pendarvin

-Andy
Rules Marshal
01 Oct 2009 11:42 #3 by Dynamic Reality (Dynamic Reality)
Replied by Dynamic Reality (Dynamic Reality) on topic Racial skills vs Profession
Thanks Andy...I tried looking in the online rulebook but couldn't find a reference to racial skill lists anywhere. Guess I should try and grab an actual hard-copy of the rulebook at my next event..lol

Character: Lee Yu Sheng
OOG: Josh M.

"Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated."
    - Confucius
  • Elawyn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 177
01 Oct 2009 11:54 #4 by Elawyn (Elawyn)
Replied by Elawyn (Elawyn) on topic Racial skills vs Profession
There actually is not an official hard-copy of the Rulebook.  Since its still a work in progress, the only place its accessible is online.  When in doubt, go to the Table of Contents and read the sections carefully.  There is more listed there than just whats listed on the side bar.  But trust me, we all have a little trouble finding some of the more obscure stuff every once in awhile.

Defend the Land for it is the Base of the Pillar,

Elawyn Featherthorn Brightstar
Acolyte of the Circle of Ten & Chosen of Fey Lord Tillion
Guardian of Belladeen

---
OOG: Kristen M.
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.467 seconds