A belated hello

• Onca
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 202
16 Nov 2009 17:20 #1 by Onca (Lorelai)
A belated hello was created by Onca (Lorelai)
Hey all,
I just attended the ball this past weekend in NY, via invitation from Sorel and Aleister, so I'm sure I met some of you folks there, but I wanted to say an actual hello on the forums and introduce myself. My name is Rachel, I'm a student at MSU in NJ, but I'm originally from Portland, OR. I've been an avid RPer and especially D&D player for many years, but KR is my first 'official' LARP.

While I'm here, I have a quick question that was only half-answered in the new players section, perhaps because it is unique to each situation. I was told that it's best to attend the new player training on Friday evening, but due to possible work conflicts, I may or may not be able to.

If not, is there someone I can talk to about registering for this weekend (I'm hoping to make it for at least part of the event, aside from work and my birthday standing slightly in the way)? I'm also curious for any suggestions of where I could find a bow (I play an Archer) and some LARP arrows for this weekend...it's short notice and I don't have a lot of time or money, sadly, but if anyone has something I could borrow or can point to an inexpensive store for those and perhaps some warm, comfortable clothing fitting for the game, I'd appreciate that, since I'm not sure I'd get much of it in time if I ordered from any stores online. I do have some backup stuff that should work, but I'd prefer not to rely on it if I don't have to.

Sorry this is so long, but hello all and I hope to see/meet more of you soon!

~ Lorelai Sihnon VonRitter
Huntress of Galladel
Head of House VonRitter of the Witch Hunter Academy

OOG:
Rachel Jump/Onca
(New Player Marshal)
  • Elawyn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 177
16 Nov 2009 17:30 #2 by Elawyn (Elawyn)
Replied by Elawyn (Elawyn) on topic A belated hello
For both a bow and for some good warm underlayers for beneath your costuming on short notice, check out your local sporting/camping goods store.  People can usually find children's bows that are under the 20lbs limit, although it may need a paint job (I think they are usually a bright color, but its been years since I looked).  For the warm underlayers, make sure they are made of something that wicks away moisture.

For arrows, I'd suggest posting on the Marketplace forums to see if anyone can make you some you can buy or borrow for the event.

Also remember to bring changes of socks and a set of (warm) all black clothing with no logos for NPCing in. 

Good luck!

Defend the Land for it is the Base of the Pillar,

Elawyn Featherthorn Brightstar
Acolyte of the Circle of Ten & Chosen of Fey Lord Tillion
Guardian of Belladeen

---
OOG: Kristen M.
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
16 Nov 2009 19:27 #3 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic A belated hello
Welcome!

I'll be running New Player Training while Brendan (out normal New Player guru) is out this event, so you can always meet up with me some time at the Forge, and we can talk.  If you've read the site, you're in pretty good shape to begin with, so don't sweat it too much. :)

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.468 seconds