What's in a name?

13 Dec 2009 15:12 #1 by Typhon Cedricson Scyldinga (Null507)
What's in a name? was created by Typhon Cedricson Scyldinga (Null507)
Hello I am new member. I intend to attend the January event as my first ever LARP event with several of my friends. I am currently working on my PC and I have a question about the character name. I have decided that my character is a Kithanese Druid who was falsely accused of a heinous crime (murder of a cherished friend, perhaps his mentor) and has given up his family name until such time has he can prove his innocence (never gonna happen). He leads a nomadic life now wandering in search the perpetrator. Furthermore he hardly ever uses his first name often introducing himself enigmatically as "the Wanderer" or as just "a Wanderer."

What I would like to know is would it be allowed/appropriate for "the Wanderer" to be his last name? And for him to only use his first name, Leon, during tender moments, as a sign of trust?

(Can you believe that my cousin only suggested this yesterday and have already created a new, if cliche, character?)

Typhon Cedricson Scyldinga
Hero of Auralion
Warrior of the White Wolf

- Druid

David Reyes
13 Dec 2009 15:16 #2 by Typhon Cedricson Scyldinga (Null507)
Replied by Typhon Cedricson Scyldinga (Null507) on topic What's in a name?
I should also point out that I reached my naming dilemma only after reading the player creation, rules about name which do not mention using a title as a last name.

Hero of Auralion

- Druid

David Reyes
14 Dec 2009 20:31 - 14 Dec 2009 20:36 #3 by Baoyu Kunsai (Baoyu Kunsai)
Replied by Baoyu Kunsai (Baoyu Kunsai) on topic What's in a name?
Let me be the first to welcome you to Knight Realms. I also play a Khitan and am looking forward to meeting you in january.

Im not a rules marshal so i cant give you an official answer, however I can suggest that you name your character with his normal name, write his history with the name information, and introduce yourself in-game as "the wanderer." There is nothing against doing this to my knowledge.

Similarly I have a "western" name that I use 90% of the time and an "eastern" name which only a few Khitanese know because it includes my clan name.  

OOG: -Adam C. Schaeffer
Last edit: 14 Dec 2009 20:36 by .
14 Dec 2009 21:54 #4 by Typhon Cedricson Scyldinga (Null507)
It's great to meet another Khitan unfortunately my friends who I was going to go with have decided to wait until Febuary to get in. We want to start with our PC's together. I still want to play and since I fear that if I postpone I will never get around to playing I am debating between starting in January or NPCing in January to get acclimated.

I like your ideas about names. Originally the Wanderer was because I couldn't think of a decent last name. I recently decided on one that I could see myself using a lot so glad I have some time to hammer things down before next month. Whatever I decide it look forward to meeting you.

Hero of Auralion

- Druid

David Reyes
15 Dec 2009 01:51 #5 by Dr. Kamei Kunsai (Kamei Lazuli)
Replied by Dr. Kamei Kunsai (Kamei Lazuli) on topic What's in a name?
Welcome! =D It's always great to see another Khitanese joining us!

I am also NOT a marshall, but I agree with what was said before. Submit your backstory with a last name, and introduce yourself as a wanderer. And maybe as time goes on and if he gets comfortable with people and saying his last name I don't see why it would be a problem, but that's just me. Also, when you make your card ask the friendly gentleman about it =3 hehe

My character name is only half "eastern", Kamei, Which I didn't even come up with, I had someone basically name her for me XD And Lazuli is...I don't even know what. Second part to a stone named 'Lapis Lazuli'. Names come in weird ways lol.

Anyway! WELCOME! ^_____^ *thumbs up* Woo Khitans!

[Kamei Kunsai, Vassal and Health Administer of Kaladonia]
[Luminista Petsho-Aeislin]

(oog: Shannon F.)
  • Tyra Silverfang
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • I eat dark god babies...
  • Thank Yous: 0
15 Dec 2009 11:00 #6 by Tyra Silverfang (Pracika Nightwing)
Replied by Tyra Silverfang (Pracika Nightwing) on topic What's in a name?
as weird as it may sound i usually go with name with meaning. like if you wanted a name to mean wanderer there are plenty of baby name sites where you can type in the meaning you want and it will come up with a list of names in every ethnicity from english, gaelic, oriental, ancient sanskrit... its neat!

babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/

i usually go here. maybe it will give you some more ideas?

"There is a difference between a hero and a coward. A Hero wakes willing to risk death. A coward wakes wishing for it."

OOG: Adi
  • Andy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 157
15 Dec 2009 11:46 #7 by Andy (Andy)
Replied by Andy (Andy) on topic What's in a name?
You're free to name your character whatever you want, within bounds.  The Character Officer and Atmosphere Officer may ask you to change your name if they deem it does not fit the setting or is inappropriate.

The titles the section you found were referring to are Noble titles; Squire, Knight, Lord, King, etc...
If you simply want to introduce your character as "the Wanderer" that's fine.  Like everyone else, I really do suggest you come up with a real name that you provide at character creation that will be placed on your character card though.  When and how you use your "real" name is entirely up to your character.

Welcome to KR!

-Sir Hurgar
Knight of Pendarvin

-Andy
Rules Marshal
16 Dec 2009 15:57 #8 by Typhon Cedricson Scyldinga (Null507)
I should probably post that I have come up with a real last name. It's not "eastern" so I decided that he is the bastard son of a Kormyrian merchant. His father named him and then promptly abandoned them for his family in Kormyre. I still have yet to figure out how he became a druid but I will come up with something.

Hero of Auralion

- Druid

David Reyes
  • Erim Walker
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • I love Travance. There are shirtless men EVERYWHER
  • Thank Yous: 0
16 Dec 2009 16:55 #9 by Erim Walker (shiva14b)
Replied by Erim Walker (shiva14b) on topic What's in a name?
May I humbly suggest letting us learn about this from you in-game, rather than on the boards? I think you'll find you'll appreciate the added dose of realism.

*does the FOIG dance*

"Ok we can attack... but if we miss, we'll hit the villagers."
"I'm willing to take that chance!"

Things I am no longer allowed to do in an RPG :
31. The backup trap handler is not whoever has the most HP at the time.
73. Not allowed to name my cudgel Ceremonial Whoopass Stick.
74. My thief's battle cry is not "Run And Live"

[OOG Jenna
16 Dec 2009 17:01 #10 by Typhon Cedricson Scyldinga (Null507)
Alright like a plan I'm not joining until January so it's likely to change a hundred times between now and than I am currnetly editing the backstory now to make it all work right.

Hero of Auralion

- Druid

David Reyes
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.546 seconds