Introduction and Character Questions

• Molydeus
  • Thank Yous: 0
08 Jun 2010 22:41 #1 by Molydeus (Molydeus)
Introduction and Character Questions was created by Molydeus (Molydeus)
Hello there Knight Realms!

My name is Kevin, and I'm interested in experiencing your game this summer.  I live in Saratoga Springs (its just north of Albany), I'm a recently graduated college student, and I have been doing a variety of different types of LARPing for a few years now.  My friends Mary and Nadi both encouraged me to try this game out, and I'm excited to meet you all. 

I have a couple of specific questions regarding a character concept I have that, despite my best efforts, I could not find answers to in the Online Rulebook. I apologize if they were in fact answered there.

1. I see that this game has an established nobility, especially within the Barony where this game takes place.  I know that I can not come in with a new character that is a member of the local social structure, but would it be allowed to be a noble from another country?  I was thinking of a Dwarven noble from the Kingdom of Calasvorin.

2. I have a latex sword that is painted gold.  I read that gold is a rare alloy that is a special damage type. I also have brass-plated chainmail that looks gold.  Would I be allowed to have an armor and weapon that appeared gold, but did not have the special in-game properties of gold?  Or, is it possible to somehow start with items of that property at character creation and sacrifice whatever coin I might come into game with, or even be in debt somehow?  I'm not expecting a yes on that last one, just throwing the idea out there if its possible.

3. How flexible is the world when writing a character history? If I wanted to say I came from somewhere in Calavorin, would I have to pick one of the locations on that map, or could I, within reason, come up with a new location within that kingdom?

I'm sure I'll have more questions when I think of them, but for now, thank you for helping me.  ;D

OOG: Kevin O'Connor
  • Elawyn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 177
09 Jun 2010 08:51 #2 by Elawyn (Elawyn)
Replied by Elawyn (Elawyn) on topic Introduction and Character Questions
Hi Kevin, welcome to the boards!

Let me take a stab at your questions.

1.) No, you cannot be start as anoble of any type in the game.  This keeps all players coming into the game at the same social level, at least technically, and keeps one player from trying to get special priveliges over another due to something they simply wrote in their history.  That being said, if you want to do anything different with your history (maybe not a noble, maybe the advisor to this or that noble, or something else...), write it up and email the history in and see if it can be approved.  Until these details are approved officially however you can not use them InGame (so if you came this weekend, but the history wasn't approved yet, you couldn't talk about the special points of your history).  For how to submit a history, go here:  www.knightrealms.com/forums/index.php?topic=1115.0

2.)  Its perfectly fine if the phys rep of your weapon looks different from what the actual weapon does, especially as a starting character.  Perhaps you can make it an InGame goal of your character to get a weapon made of real gold someday, and try to save coin to do that InGame.  There are a variety of ways to get special alloys, from using Service Points to get them to buying them InGame, but it all must be done through play. 

3.)  All the major towns are what are written on the map, but  if your dwarf comes from a little hamlet, feel free to make up an appropriate name and location for it.  You couldn't create a new capital or major city, but tiny towns and such are fine.  Of course, this would need to be approved with a submitted character history as well, as in question 1. 

Hope that helps!

Defend the Land for it is the Base of the Pillar,

Elawyn Featherthorn Brightstar
Acolyte of the Circle of Ten & Chosen of Fey Lord Tillion
Guardian of Belladeen

---
OOG: Kristen M.
  • Molydeus
09 Jun 2010 13:07 #3 by Molydeus (Molydeus)
Replied by Molydeus (Molydeus) on topic Introduction and Character Questions
Awesome, thank you Kristen!  ;D

Does this mean that all of the nobles I have seen in the picture gallery were made that way through RP, and not from birthright? Or perhaps they were given special permission for their character history? Or maybe those were NPCs I saw? I'm just curious how it works.

On an unrelated note, does anybody have any tips for dwarven beard-wearing that makes it look good and authentic? My only concern with playing a dwarf is that any kind of fake beard I find will look fake and cheesy.

• Hadrian Thane
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • The night is dark and full of terrors.
  • Thank Yous: 3
09 Jun 2010 13:40 #4 by Hadrian Thane (GBino)
Replied by Hadrian Thane (GBino) on topic Introduction and Character Questions

Does this mean that all of the nobles I have seen in the picture gallery were made that way through RP, and not from birthright? Or perhaps they were given special permission for their character history? Or maybe those were NPCs I saw? I'm just curious how it works.

All persons who are "Nobility" in the game have either earned it through RP, or are NPCs.

There is only one consistent NPC Noble, that being James who plays the Count (and who is also the Director of the game). All of the Knights, Lords & the Baron are all PCs who have earned the right to be Nobility is some form or another through IG action.

There are (occasionally) story-related nobles who will come into town, but this is a rare occurrence, and usually these roles are played by veteran players.

/* OOG
* Rob G.
* Rules Marshal, Margrave
*/
  • Kleidin
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 152
09 Jun 2010 17:09 #5 by Kleidin (Kleidin)
Replied by Kleidin (Kleidin) on topic Introduction and Character Questions
So,

where in Saratoga? It's my hometown.

Lady Kleidin du Tenkukai Weaveforger Laurent-Belmont of Kaladonia
Master Witch Hunter, and Elder Druid
OOG: Diane Sodher
  • Molydeus
09 Jun 2010 17:25 #6 by Molydeus (Molydeus)
Oh yeah? My fiancé and I are living on Hamilton street, right off of Broadway.  We both really like it here.  We moved here after we both graduated SUNY Albany, where we met.

Her name is Katie, and she's going to be coming with me.  She's stuck between being a gypsy, or being a dryad.  Both are very appealing to her.

09 Jun 2010 17:45 #7 by WayaMilenko (WayaMilenko)
Replied by WayaMilenko (WayaMilenko) on topic Introduction and Character Questions
The Gypsies are filthy people. [spits] And we shall speak of them no more.

Waya Milenko

(OOG-Clint)
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
09 Jun 2010 18:03 #8 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Introduction and Character Questions
Pardon me, where WAS your wallet?

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
  • Kleidin
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 152
09 Jun 2010 20:33 #9 by Kleidin (Kleidin)
Replied by Kleidin (Kleidin) on topic Introduction and Character Questions
I know the area - I was 2 blocks from Skidmore

Lady Kleidin du Tenkukai Weaveforger Laurent-Belmont of Kaladonia
Master Witch Hunter, and Elder Druid
OOG: Diane Sodher
  • Molydeus
10 Jun 2010 12:18 #10 by Molydeus (Molydeus)
Lets say I come to game, pay to PC, but end up deciding to NPC the entire time?  Do I get the SP/hour deal, or does it still just count as 2 build + 500 SP or whatever it is currently for NPCing the whole weekend?

• Evadne
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Im a Druid
  • Thank Yous: 1
16 Jun 2010 19:27 #11 by Evadne (Evadne)
Replied by Evadne (Evadne) on topic Introduction and Character Questions
You would get the 2 build +500 sp for npcing the whole weekend, not the SP/hr deal.

Jackie GIBS
Safety Deputy
RP Marshal
Monster Marshal
Rules Marshal
  • Lina Marinescu
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Only the curious have something to find
  • Thank Yous: 78
30 Jun 2010 18:55 #12 by Lina Marinescu (Ismaesumi)
Replied by Lina Marinescu (Ismaesumi) on topic Introduction and Character Questions
I'm afraid that I can't let another Katie be a gypsy, therefore, I would suggest she be a dryad...

J/K! Welcome to the game, what ever race you guys choose to be, I'm sure you will find it very enjoyable. If your gf has any gypsy related questions, there are a lot of us who would enjoy helping you out.

IG- Lina Marinescu
OOG- Katie M.- Lead Monster Marshal

The stalwart soul has the will to live and is eager for the race ~Taylor Caldwell

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
30 Jun 2010 19:16 #13 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic Introduction and Character Questions
Do what we did with Matthew Burnosky.  Since we have a surfeit of Matts, we just call him Max.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.564 seconds