New Character

03 Aug 2010 20:27 #1 by Valkis Corvin (Eben Nodor)
New Character was created by Valkis Corvin (Eben Nodor)
I'm a new player hopping to start in Sept.  Going to be a Selendrian Ranger any suggestions for my starting build... thinking of buying two extra. 8)

OOC- Ben Kresge
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
03 Aug 2010 21:09 #2 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic New Character
A lot of it depends on what weapons you own OOG, or plan on using as your character.

1) You can focus on Melee skills, if you don't own a bow.

2) You can focus on Bow skills, which are inexpensive for a Sylvan Elf.

3) You can focus on Druidic spells, although this is the least likely option since then you'd be playing a Druid.  :P

Once you know what you'll be using, focus on that form of weapon skills, and throw in a touch of Druidics to boot.  The ability to heal is NEVER wasted, so if that's your only spell, it's still a good start.

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
03 Aug 2010 21:33 #3 by Valkis Corvin (Eben Nodor)
Replied by Valkis Corvin (Eben Nodor) on topic New Character
I think i'll start with Bastard Sword

OOC- Ben Kresge
06 Aug 2010 23:20 #4 by Piggy Punch (Wyen Nightfrost)
Replied by Piggy Punch (Wyen Nightfrost) on topic New Character
Starting off with a Bastard Edge weapon is a good choice, it gives you the feel of using a one or two handed weapon. One thing to keep in mind for later on, if you are not using a bow remember that Rangers have something called Florentine. Florentine allows you to use two weapons instead of a single weapon or a weapon and a shield. If you will be using a bow then have fun with it, but remember it runs out of arrows eventually.

Baht A'tal Damien Mograinne
Champion of Galmachis

OOG Josh LaBar
  • JoDios
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • That guy with the muffin hat.
  • Thank Yous: 0
07 Aug 2010 05:43 #5 by JoDios (JoDios)
Replied by JoDios (JoDios) on topic New Character

Starting off with a Bastard Edge weapon is a good choice, it gives you the feel of using a one or two handed weapon. One thing to keep in mind for later on, if you are not using a bow remember that Rangers have something called Florentine. Florentine allows you to use two weapons instead of a single weapon or a weapon and a shield. If you will be using a bow then have fun with it, but remember it runs out of arrows eventually.

Not to sound mean or anything, but please try to refrain from posting rules thing like the above.  Copy and paste directly from the rule book is best.  Especially as the above is indeed wrong.

Speaking as a Rules Marshal, Florentine does NOT let you carry a weapon and a shield.  Florentine allows you to carry a one handed weapon, along with a small weapon in the other.  You need a weapon skill and the shield skill to fight 'sword and board'.

OOG: Jo
  • Lois Heimdell
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • "All good stories are built on conflict," said the Raven to the Writing Desk.
  • Thank Yous: 1026
07 Aug 2010 12:23 #6 by Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Replied by Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell) on topic New Character
He's correct. It reads better if you add a comma, though. "Florentine allows you to use two weapons(insert comma) instead of a single weapon or a weapon and a shield." Single weapon and weapon & shield are being provided as examples of alternatives to Florentine. Of course, small punctuation that gives a sentence a possible double meaning would be one of the better reasons to quote directly from the rulebook.

----

----
((OOG: Cassie Stanley, Marshal Deputy))
  • Hadrian Thane
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • The night is dark and full of terrors.
  • Thank Yous: 3
08 Aug 2010 00:06 #7 by Hadrian Thane (GBino)
Replied by Hadrian Thane (GBino) on topic New Character
What it comes down to is Knight Realms policy. Any time you post something regarding how a rule works that isn't a direct quote from the rulebook, it is an interpretation. Even if you get the interpretation right, you are still violating Knight Realms policy by doing such unless you are a Rules Marshal. It makes us all feel like we're being mean by having to enforce this rule so stringently, but it really is the only way to make sure that players aren't misinformed and possibly taking their rules interpretations from other players who are not qualified to render them.

/* OOG
* Rob G.
* Rules Marshal, Margrave
*/
10 Aug 2010 23:02 #8 by Piggy Punch (Wyen Nightfrost)
Replied by Piggy Punch (Wyen Nightfrost) on topic New Character
I apologize. I did not mean to sound as if I was giving any type of ruling. I was only meaning to remark that Florentine was a good skill and worth while to look it for any character list that possesses it. Again my apologies seeing as how that came across in such a bad way.

Baht A'tal Damien Mograinne
Champion of Galmachis

OOG Josh LaBar
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.485 seconds