Coffee, Tea, and Water

• Zakara
  • Thank Yous: 0
30 Dec 2010 13:57 #1 by Zakara (Zakara)
Coffee, Tea, and Water was created by Zakara (Zakara)
Hey All!
As a new player, I'm a bit confused by the rules governing the kitchen.  I'm insanely addicted to coffee, and was curious if it's true that I have to pay IG coin to get my morning fix.  A few SP's make a big difference to us starting characters, as I'm sure many of you remember.  I'd down with a couple quarters though, it is a service after all!
Also, during the Market Fair, I received two differing answers regarding the filling of my thermos with hot water in order to serve tea to my patrons.  I myself was turned away at the door, saying that I would not be allowed to fill it, which honestly almost made me "keep it real".  It is the winter time after all!  Then, after an official (Odo?) from the fair told me I should be able to fill it up as Fair Business, my assistant was only allowed to fill it up half way...which left a couple of my patrons without my delicious refreshment, Chai Tea.
I managed the Galley at USCG Sector Delaware Bay, and respect both the rules and authority of a busy kitchen, but hot water is a human necessity in these winter months.  Could someone please explain?
Thanks!
Mikey Sara
aka Zakara Fatuwah the "Sultan of Spice"
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
30 Dec 2010 14:55 #2 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic Coffee, Tea, and Water

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
30 Dec 2010 15:21 #3 by FreeCookiesforU (FreeCookiesforU)
Replied by FreeCookiesforU (FreeCookiesforU) on topic Coffee, Tea, and Water
Can there be further clarification? The only thing I could gleam out of the Kitchen Rules, pertaining to the supply of hot water, is that there are certain situations that are IC and OOC.

Should our friendly neighborhood Sultan of Spice put in a request to a kitchen marshal before the event, asking for permission to ascertain hot water for Market Fair use?

-Crispin VanDyke

Christopher K. (AKA "Ginger Guy")
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
30 Dec 2010 15:24 #4 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Coffee, Tea, and Water
In general, the main issue is one of timing - the kitchen is small, and if the Kitchen Staff are working in it while non-Staff are coming and going (esp. in a case when there's 200+ players who all want morning coffee, while breakfast is being served), it can get messy.  For this reason, it's always best to not enter the kitchen yourself, and ask a Bartender or Kitchen Staff to get you a drink.

Because Bartenders and Staff are In-Game even when serving (and need to be paid for their work), we do ask you pay In-Game as well.  The exception to this is water, which you can always ask for, for free or OOG, since hydration is a safety / health issue.

If you are serving something In-Game as your PC, it is in your best interests to provide as much of your own functionality as you can - either by preparing ahead of time, or bringing your own water heating device.  You're welcome to get water from the kitchen (Get in, fill it, get out; or ask someone to fill it for you), but it would be much, much better if you could heat it at your table with a kettle that looked In-Game, such as some of the fancier electric tea kettles you can find in Chinatown or online.  This way, you can do the entire process at your market booth, without competing for space in the kitchen with the Staff and other players.

It never hurts to check in with the Kitchen Deputy or Staff ahead of time - they will thank you for it!

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
  • Odo Garaath
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Back and Ready For More!
  • Thank Yous: 12
30 Dec 2010 15:34 - 30 Dec 2010 16:57 #5 by Odo Garaath (Odo)
Replied by Odo Garaath (Odo) on topic Coffee, Tea, and Water
See below.

"Praise be to Enax, and blessing to his followers."

(Tom Senger )
Last edit: 30 Dec 2010 16:57 by .
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
30 Dec 2010 16:13 #6 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Coffee, Tea, and Water
Actually, the line we're looking for is this:

"The kitchen may be used for personal food storage and cooking by request and pre-approval from the Kitchen Officer only."

So yes, please check with Luis before using large amounts of Hot Water at the fair, or other times.  If you have an OOG water heater that you want to keep out of sight, check with Luis (or the Kitchen Staff in charge that event) before setting up shop in the Kitchen.

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
  • Zakara
  • Thank Yous: 0
30 Dec 2010 18:25 #7 by Zakara (Zakara)
Replied by Zakara (Zakara) on topic Coffee, Tea, and Water
Thank you Geoff, Tom, Chrispy, and Paul!
I'll be sure to (try to) get authorization to fill of my thermos in the morning, and then mid market if needed.  Every good kitchen needs it rules! 
My #1 kitchen rule: Don't just stand there and watch me cook!  Do something! (dishes)
~Mikey
IG:  Zakara Fatuwah "The Sultan of Spice"
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.474 seconds