New Player wondering about Celt Dragoons

28 Nov 2011 16:11 #1 by Fearghal Ull Uidhir (Zurgathol)
New Player wondering about Celt Dragoons was created by Fearghal Ull Uidhir (Zurgathol)
Hey call me Ferris,

I like dragons... no, really though...

So after looking through the classes/races I've been thinking about a spear wielding Celtic Dragoon...

I am new to the system and the community, so what does this entail in game terms...

How much can Celts lie? Can they not lie?

I lack a kilt

Is a Claymore, or spear more appropriate for a Celt?

(OOG NAME) Charles Ferris
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
28 Nov 2011 17:20 #2 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic New Player wondering about Celt Dragoons
Hi Ferris,

Info about Celt's can be found here.

As for the lying part...

Celts are honorable people and find lying offensive and intolerable; they are also very proud of who they are and do not take insults lightly. Such affronts require a Celt to – at a minimum – express her displeasure to the offending person.

If you don't have a kilt, some substitutes can be found.  Shopping websites & various folks can make & sell you something if you need it.

As for a Claymore or Spear... it's up to you & the character concept.

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
28 Nov 2011 20:31 #3 by Ekatarina McKraegar (EkatarinaMcGregar)
Replied by Ekatarina McKraegar (EkatarinaMcGregar) on topic New Player wondering about Celt Dragoons

I lack a kilt

I believe I have spied a celt or two wearing plaid fabric wrapped around them and saftey pinned till they were able to get a proper kilt...

Templar Ekatarina Esmeralda Kisslinger McKregar, Prophet of the Kindred Oak

Neina Avaren

OOC: Ann A.- Logistics Marshal
  • Chris G.
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Our Life is Made by the Death of Others...
  • Thank Yous: 95
28 Nov 2011 20:49 #4 by Chris G. (Cross)
Replied by Chris G. (Cross) on topic New Player wondering about Celt Dragoons

Costuming and Makeup Requirements
Celts wear kilts as a symbol of pride and fidelity towards their clans. When preparing for battle, or a special occasion, it is not uncommon for a Celt to paint herself with some pattern of blue.

[hr]
Squire Lucas R. Brand
Squire to Lord Antrim Ardentfyre
--
Tanis Rily'anna
--
OOG: Chris Goley
Mook
  • Seámus Aeislin
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Glaine ár gcroí! Neart ár ngéag! Beart de réir ár mbriathar!
  • Thank Yous: 30
29 Nov 2011 01:35 #5 by Seámus Aeislin (Seámus_Aeislin)
Replied by Seámus Aeislin (Seámus_Aeislin) on topic New Player wondering about Celt Dragoons
As someone who plays a Celt and is kicking himself in the arse for not picking up Dragoon, I'mma toss in my two cents...

First, I lacked a kilt during my first event, went about in pants and made up an excuse (Gypsies whom he and his cousin Bran were "abducted by" stole it and my character would NOT wear a kilt not of his clan's tartan, thus not having one until my second event). So, even if you can't scrounge up one, if you have enough reason, folks are likely to let it slide. In the meantime, look at www.stillwaterkilts.com they have fairly inexpensive oens. My own is an Irish National from their Economy kilt line, only cost $30 something dollars.

As for Spear or Claymore... Which real life Celts are you basing your character/accent off of? If you are playing a more Scottish Celt, then claymore all the way as it is a sword of Scottish origin. If Irish, spears tended to hold a fair amount of significance to the warrior caste (I.E. When a warrior died, they would break his spear and bury it with him, both so he would have it in the next life and to prevent anther person from wielding their spear.)

Just my two cents...

IG:
Main - Sir Seámus Aeislin of the Clan MacInnes

Alt - Boryev Solvei, Baro of the Solvei Kampania
#bigtomdidnuffinwrong
OOG - Shane Johnson
Monster Marshal
01 Dec 2011 02:17 #6 by Fearghal Ull Uidhir (Zurgathol)
Replied by Fearghal Ull Uidhir (Zurgathol) on topic New Player wondering about Celt Dragoons
Then likely the spear, as Irish and polearms I am more familiar with...

I was planning on wearing a rather simple fix of a shirt which looked (for the most part) the right description for a kilt...

I've read all the material on both the class and race before posting, but I've found that any RPG's material and it's actual games are often very different depending on how long you have been playing.

I was trying to determine if a costume requirment meant I could wear a feasible phys rep, or that it's all or nothing like with some of the more exotic races.

So what are the clans, how do I determine what colors belong to which, and how does it become appropriate to adopt one for my character's back story.

For the Gaelic I am good, I have a decent brough...

In terms of naming I am likely going with "Fear'ghal Ull Ui'hir" but I am not sure how clans come into the naming process...

I sent an e-mail to the address for the new people, and got a reply about when I would be interested... I said as soon as possible, and I am just curious when other players think is a good time.

• Seámus Aeislin
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Glaine ár gcroí! Neart ár ngéag! Beart de réir ár mbriathar!
  • Thank Yous: 30
01 Dec 2011 02:27 #7 by Seámus Aeislin (Seámus_Aeislin)
Replied by Seámus Aeislin (Seámus_Aeislin) on topic New Player wondering about Celt Dragoons
As far as tartans and clans, it's really fairly open ended. I know several Celts from different clans (The McLaughlins, The McBanes, I think some of MacKreagors among others) wear the Blackwatch tartan. So really, just find one you like and run with it.

IG:
Main - Sir Seámus Aeislin of the Clan MacInnes

Alt - Boryev Solvei, Baro of the Solvei Kampania
#bigtomdidnuffinwrong
OOG - Shane Johnson
Monster Marshal
01 Dec 2011 03:05 #8 by Fearghal Ull Uidhir (Zurgathol)
Replied by Fearghal Ull Uidhir (Zurgathol) on topic New Player wondering about Celt Dragoons
Okay so I am a little confused...

Is your first profession free or does it cost your initial ten build?

I assume it is free for the rest of this...

What do Racial Skills cost?

How do I get a character build approved?

How often is Periodic for calling the Crit X Skill?

01 Dec 2011 03:30 #9 by Draknar DoKanen (Draknar DoKanen)
Replied by Draknar DoKanen (Draknar DoKanen) on topic New Player wondering about Celt Dragoons
1.  Your first profession is free.
2.  Depends on the skill.  The number in the parentheses indicated the build cost.  For instance, Highland Rage costs 5 build on the Celt racial list.
3.  I'm not sure what you mean.  Everyone gets 10-13 build (depending on if you have service points to spend and whether you buy an additional build or not) to start their character.  You can have a character concept already planned out, but you will need to sit down with someone at sign in to officially write your card.
4.  Periodic skills refresh throughout the weekend: Friday night (Lay-on to 6am), Saturday morning (6am to 6pm), Saturday night (6pm to 6am), Sunday morning (6am to end of the event).  You may use the skill once per period for every purchase of it that you have.

Sean

Skimmel
RP Marshal, Rules Marshal, Storyteller
01 Dec 2011 10:45 #10 by Daniel McKraegar (Daniel McKraegar)
Replied by Daniel McKraegar (Daniel McKraegar) on topic New Player wondering about Celt Dragoons

I was trying to determine if a costume requirment meant I could wear a feasible phys rep, or that it's all or nothing like with some of the more exotic races.

So what are the clans, how do I determine what colors belong to which, and how does it become appropriate to adopt one for my character's back story.

In terms of naming I am likely going with "Fear'ghal Ull Ui'hir" but I am not sure how clans come into the naming process...

Feasible phys rep for a kilt is fine. It's only for the "exotic" (what we call restricted races) races that you need to do all or nothing costuming wise.

There are a few established clans in game, obviously if you want to come from one of them you should speak to the players of that clan before hand. Otherwise feel free to make up your own. As far as tartans go there is nothing set, and you don't necessarily need one set for a clan. We McKraegars don't have a single matching kilt amongst us, but that's because of how we OOG got out kilts. Though some do, like the McBanes all wore Blackwatch. Now that doesn't stop you from wearing that tartan, because that could cause issues (like for people who just happen to actually own that kilt, and decide to come to game. No one will tell you "hey, you can't wear that unless you're X clan).

Clan naming, for the most parts it's just using clan's name as your last name. That's just what's been done amongst the current Celt PCs. Nothing set in stone.

Jason Michaeli

Sir Daniel McKraegar
Knight of Kaladonia
15 Feb 2012 14:17 #11 by fatherdaemos (fatherdaemos)
Replied by fatherdaemos (fatherdaemos) on topic New Player wondering about Celt Dragoons
You can also find out about kilts from the ton of real clans. Though using a real clan colours can be a touchy subject. It is general tradition that if you aren't really Irish or Scottish in real life that you get Black watch as your tartan.
Brian Hess

Father Daemos Jord

OOC: Brian
"God, on high...hear my prayer, In my need you have always been there"
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.586 seconds