new player from westchester

19 Jan 2012 21:25 #1 by Alatariel Elensar (alatariel)
new player from westchester was created by Alatariel Elensar (alatariel)
I am from westchester, NY and I'll be coming with a bunch of friends for the first time.

This is my first time LARPing, and I wanted to know if anyone had advice on playing an Elven Mage?

I plan on choosing the Wizardry, or arcane, Sphere as my first sphere, but I also like the enchantment sphere...

What should I consider as I enter the world of Travance?

Alatariel Elensar is my character name, I hope to meet everyone and have a great time!

(Fearghal wrote most of this, :P) YAR

Yours Cordially,
Alatariel Elensar
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
19 Jan 2012 21:43 #2 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic new player from westchester
First let me start by saying Welcome! Conor's the name, I play a Sylvan Elf named Caelvan, look me up in game, my character is generally friendly to all types and races, except maybe Dark Elves, but I'm getting there.

Second as to what you should consider,
OOG
Double and triple check your stuff, make sure you have anything and everything for you and your character to survive/live in the cold months.

IG
Consider everything, and anything that can come out of the woods and hurt you, chances are it has already attacked Travance at least once already.

Most important is have fun with it. You'll love it and once you try it, you'll want more.

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
  • Kelly
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Thank Yous: 134
19 Jan 2012 21:47 #3 by Kelly (Kelly)
Replied by Kelly (Kelly) on topic new player from westchester
Hey Leah,

Depends on what kind of Elf you're playing. I'm going to assume High Elf, but correct me if I'm wrong on that. Elves tend to be aloof and don't understand how other races can be so uncouth. There's a description for the RP of High Elves in the rulebook, check that out, its got some good pointers.

Since its your first larp, you're going to need to bring the following for the weekend:

Sleeping bag
Pillow
Extra Socks (at least 3 extra pairs then what you think you need if its wet out)
Bathing stuff
Flashlight with red covering or red gel
Warm black clothing for NPC duty
Gloves
Good boots

There's a bunch more stuff you can bring, but if you have the stuff on the above list for starters, you're in for a good weekend. See you soon!

~Kelly~

Dame Zafrin Yhatzi
Knight of Drega'mire

OOG: Kelly Osborne
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
19 Jan 2012 21:53 #4 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic new player from westchester
To add to the list above
Thermals of some sort, black would be best, you can use it for your NPC shift and your character in that case
I'd recommend Wool socks, or socks one or two size larger so you can put them over your main socks(that way your feet stay warm, there's little worse than frozen toes at 4am in the morning [figured that out thanks to goley] )

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
19 Jan 2012 22:31 #5 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic new player from westchester
I highly, HIGHLY recommend reading everything under "New Players" over on the left... that will cover everything the folks above said, and then some. We try to be as complete as possible on the website, so you don't have any surprises when you get to your first game.

As for Westchester... Head out for the Camp NO LATER than 3:00 PM. Any later than that, and you'll be stuck in Rush Hour Hell on the Tappan Zee, or near Sparta, NJ. If you can go earlier, great! If not, you may want to try to wait out the rush hour traffic, but then you'll get to camp late. It's about a 75-90 minute drive in good traffic.

Gas up while you're in NJ. ;)

Your fellow Elven Mage from Westchester,

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.460 seconds