looking at the rules

• Wardog
  • Thank Yous: 0
08 May 2008 21:58 #1 by Wardog (Wardog)
looking at the rules was created by Wardog (Wardog)
Hey there,

I have a few questions about your character classes and rules  ???

1. Lets say that I wish to be a Slayer [Demon hunter] class. Can I pick other skills from other character classes… like, the skill Bow?
2. If I can do that, is the skill cost the same or different?
3. If I buy skill waylay once, dose that mean that I can only use that skill once/day?
4. Lets say I buy the same skill twice, dose the skill level damage/time count increase [like in Dark Ages] or dose it mean I can use that skill two times/ day?
5. As for character skills, lets say I am a warrior and I pick [Waylay] for example. Now somewhere I have read that after a confrontation I need to mark off the skills that I have utilize. Dose this work something like what NERO dose for there skill Slay? Or that after I use the skill I become dumb and/ or forgetful… somehow and therefore can’t use that skill any more?
I am thinking about hitting one of your games sometime in the near future. I just movied from California and I have been looking at your web sight for some time now. I must say that you all have a very fine running LARP

Don

I will add more later... :)
  • Daedri
  • Thank Yous: 1
08 May 2008 22:10 #2 by Daedri (Daedri)
Replied by Daedri (Daedri) on topic looking at the rules
Please sign your posts with your OOG name, as per the forum rules.

Daedri Elensar
Shipwright to the People

Craig Odell
  • Wardog
08 May 2008 22:14 #3 by Wardog (Wardog)
Replied by Wardog (Wardog) on topic looking at the rules
I just did. If that is not what you are looking for I will change.

Don

• Elawyn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 177
08 May 2008 22:19 - 08 May 2008 22:23 #4 by Elawyn (Elawyn)
Replied by Elawyn (Elawyn) on topic looking at the rules
Welcome!

We do require at least a first name in order to identify you.  Knight Realms is not just an impersonal internet community, but a group of people that talk to one another in and outside the game.  Please give us a first name to call you by.

Here are some answers for you, hope they help:

1.  Whatever purely role-play classification you wish to give what your character does is fine, however, you must pick a starting Profession List (profession is the term we use for what would be the DnD equivalent of "class").  That starting profession list is the only list you can buy skills off of, unless you eventually choose to "dual-class" or purchase a second profession list (which costs 10 Build Points, otherwise known as XP points in other games).  Depending on your character's race, you can also learn skills off of their Racial list, if any, and you can also buy skills off of the "Commoner" list at a higher than normal cost (Common List is available to everyone).  So, while in the game world your character may wish to call himself a Demon Slayer, from an Out-Of-Game standpoint you would have to choose an existing profession to work with.   A Warrior or Ronin would have have battle capability, and access to bow if that helps.

2.  N/A

3, 4, & 5.  All skills are labeled as Periodic, Continuous, or Event-Based.  Periodic means it can be used once per period (Periods go from start of game Friday to 6am Sat, 6am Sat to 6pm Sat, 6pm Sat to 6am Sun, and then 6am Sun to Close).  Skills like Waylay and Slay (the latter of which is a Higher List skill and not available at start of character) are Periodic.  Skills like One-Handed Edge or Literacy are Continuous.  For every additional purchase of a Periodic skill, you can use that skill an additional time that period.  Don't think about it as being dumb or forgetful, but more like your character only has the stamina or fortitude to perform that skill as many times as you've purchased.  Skills like that need some sort of limit in order to maintain a balance in the game.

Hope that helps hun.

Defend the Land for it is the Base of the Pillar,

Elawyn Featherthorn Brightstar
Acolyte of the Circle of Ten & Chosen of Fey Lord Tillion
Guardian of Belladeen

---
OOG: Kristen M.
Last edit: 08 May 2008 22:23 by .
  • Wardog
08 May 2008 23:04 #5 by Wardog (Wardog)
OK! I see. Thanks for the help. Not sure as to what class I will pick as of yet... I think I will more then likely go NPC for the 1st event and then go from there.

Don

• Wardog
08 May 2008 23:08 #6 by Wardog (Wardog)
P.S. Wardog will not be the name I will use in Game. It is a name I use for PC gaming. I will pick another name when the time is right. Is that cool?

Don

08 May 2008 23:09 #7 by Wou Tou Shen (Wou Tou Shen)
Replied by Wou Tou Shen (Wou Tou Shen) on topic looking at the rules
that is just fine. and welcome to our community

Wou-Tou Shen

Be one in mind and body.

I am the stone that stands firm atop the largest mountain in Pendarvin, the strongest winds, nor the harshest rains will not move me.
(oog derrick)
  • Wardog
08 May 2008 23:11 #8 by Wardog (Wardog)
P.S.S. If you wish to know more about me you can find me @ LARPSpace.com. AKA King Bardhound I have photos on my space there as well. I think I have one of your players
/cast members as a friend  ;D

Don

• Wardog
08 May 2008 23:13 #9 by Wardog (Wardog)
Thanks, Wou!  ;D

Don

• Wardog
09 May 2008 21:31 #10 by Wardog (Wardog)
I have a few more questions to ask.
1. What is plots thinking/feeling on creating your own race?]
2. Same type of question as with number 2 but, with deities?
3. I have seen next to/ near the character information a number that looks like this [1/3] I have not yet read what that means. Soooo, what dose that represent?
Once again I thank you for your time and kindheartedness.

Don

• Wardog
09 May 2008 21:42 #11 by Wardog (Wardog)

1. I would assume that someone in game can make for $ or IG gold, arrows. I must ask how much would they cost?

2. I think I read someplace that if I bring in a friend as a new player I can get more [build/creation points…what ever you call them I don’t recall at this time] and what would that total be?

3. Why can’t you use more then 10 to 13 points when starting a new character if let’s say I were to have more?

I know, this is getting old but just think, I just might have more for you guys in the next 15 sec.  ;D

Don

• JoDios
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • That guy with the muffin hat.
09 May 2008 22:09 #12 by JoDios (JoDios)
Replied by JoDios (JoDios) on topic looking at the rules

1.  What is plots thinking/feeling on creating your own race?]
2.  Same type of question as with number 2 but, with deities?
3.  I have seen next to/ near the character information a number that looks like this [1/3] I have not yet read what that means. Soooo, what dose that represent?

1.) Sorry but no.  All the races that are available are in the rule book.  The KR world is built up all ready, with the amount of races we have though there is plenty to pick from.

2.) Not at all.  Same thing as with the races, only the deities we list in the rulebook are allowed,

3.) The number means, 1 build gets you 3 whatever next to it.  So if it is listed next to body, one build will get you 3 body.

OOG: Jo
09 May 2008 23:06 #13 by Jacob Kanane (Jacob Kanane)
Replied by Jacob Kanane (Jacob Kanane) on topic looking at the rules

1. I would assume that someone in game can make for $ or IG gold, arrows. I must ask how much would they cost?
2. I think I read someplace that if I bring in a friend as a new player I can get more [build/creation points…what ever you call them I don’t recall at this time] and what would that total be?
3. Why can’t you use more then 10 to 13 points when starting a new character if let’s say I were to have more?

1. I don't think I understand your question, but I'll do my best. Smith's can make arrows. You can't make gold, but you can acquire it by selling items, trading, thieving, looting.. etc.
2. You get +1 build for any new player you bring who PCs an event.
3. Starting build for a new PC is 10. You can increase this to 13 by purchasing an extra build and converting 200 Service Points for 2 build, if you have any service points. The rules for converting service points to build and buying extra build are the same for any player.

Brother Jacob Kanane
Templar of the Order of the Mailed Fist

(oog) Rob Irving
  • Wardog
11 May 2008 02:14 #14 by Wardog (Wardog)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
OK! I will try and ask it this way. Dose anyone in game make/sell arrows for In-Game gold or real $? If so, how much would that person charge me, if I were to buy them?

I understand about all of the other questions that I had asked about... it's all good! Thanks

Don

11 May 2008 09:51 #15 by Lord Renaudierre (Sir Renaudierre)
Replied by Lord Renaudierre (Sir Renaudierre) on topic looking at the rules
Hello Don,
Those are two separate questions.  We distringuish between In-Game and Out-of-Game questions.  Asking if anyone can sell you boffer arrows for money is an Out-of-Game question, we actually have a forum called Marketplace where people can ask to buy or offer to sell items.

For In-Game questions, asking if anyone sells boffer arrows for In-Game gold and how much they would charge for example, should be asked in our In-Game forum.  However, new characters are not allowed to post there until they have been played at one event. 

Hope that helps

In service to Kormyre,

Lord Alexander Renaudierre of Frostguard

~~~
Roy S.
  • Wardog
13 May 2008 21:03 #16 by Wardog (Wardog)
Hey thanks for the input,

I know that they were both an IG & OOG questions. However I was just fallowing the post for new players [" [color=teal]Welcome to Knight Realms! Here is the place for us to greet you warmly and exchange salutation. Feel free to introduce yourself and ask questions that we may be able to help you with[/color]."]  Now, The Marketplace forum, I was thinking that would be a good place to ask however as you so nicely put it... For In-Game questions, asking if anyone sells boffer arrows for In-Game gold and how much they would charge for example, should be asked in our In-Game forum.  [size=14pt]However, new characters are not allowed to post there until they have been played at one event[/size] Seeing your last sentence kind of puts it all in a nutshell for the way I was thinking. I will for now on do as you have instructed me to do so. Its fun getting to know a new system and new ways of posting information on your web sight. I would like to stress that you guys have a TON of information and as the little that I have read thus far... I salute you all... Outstanding job!
Trust me, I will have more questions for you find folks.

Thanks

Don

• Runebo
16 May 2008 13:43 #17 by Runebo (Runebo)
Replied by Runebo (Runebo) on topic looking at the rules
www.knightrealms.com/index.php?option=co...ew&id=214&Itemid=109

This is a link to the rules regarding Archery at Knight Realms, to help you track down some more info.  We use specially crafted arrows that have the tips cut off and replaced with padding, so if you're asking how to acquire actual OOG arrows to use you'd have to make your own and have them inspected for safety at the event, or track down a player who could make a few and sell them to you.  Hope that helps.

Patrick Bessasparis

- Patrick Bessasparis
  • Burgeon
16 May 2008 16:06 #18 by Burgeon (Burgeon)
Replied by Burgeon (Burgeon) on topic looking at the rules

I would like to stress that you guys have a TON of information and as the little that I have read thus far... I salute you all... Outstanding job!

Isn't the content wonderful? Almost as if they've done this for years!
I myself just joined the forums recently and have the same impression as you: Outstanding job!
(Even the personal touches are superb!)
8)

Lewis L.
(aka "Burgeon Cronket")
17 May 2008 11:43 #19 by Lord Renaudierre (Sir Renaudierre)
Replied by Lord Renaudierre (Sir Renaudierre) on topic looking at the rules
Thank you

In service to Kormyre,

Lord Alexander Renaudierre of Frostguard

~~~
Roy S.
  • Wardog
22 May 2008 23:20 #20 by Wardog (Wardog)
I have a new question for you!

Declared in the Rules for IG forums is this particular sentence. “Players should not be posing actions, accents etc…” And then there is this part that states, “Please mind these rules, which are in place to help preserve the atmosphere of the game!”

I would like to know why posting an action or accent would NOT be preserving the atmosphere of the game?

To understand this accurately, I could not post something like this.

An old man enters the center of the busy market place, few notice his tattered old cloak and that he seems to be having a hard time with getting the rusty, old dagger to stick into the tree. Upon reading the letter you see a very fine hand written note that states, “I doth need to seek out the Temple of the Sightless Eye. I shall ask unto to thee, any and all. Would thou be so kind as to give unto me the whereabouts of this Temple?

Don

22 May 2008 23:35 #21 by Jacob Kanane (Jacob Kanane)
Replied by Jacob Kanane (Jacob Kanane) on topic looking at the rules
It's because of the sentence preceding the one you quoted:

The IG forums are the representation of a physical message board.

Yes what you wrote would not be allowed on the IG forums. The IG forum represents a wall in the Dragons Claw Inn where we can all post messages. Any IG actions or descriptions would only be relevant to someone who was actually in the Dragons Claw Inn at the time of your posting. If I don't get around to reading the IG forums until a week after you post, all I see is your letter about the Temple, which is why we ask that you only post the message itself, and not any accompanying actions or rp description.

As to accents, I believe it is referring to spoken accents. Only write on the message board what your PC would write on an actual piece of parchment to tack to the wall.

Brother Jacob Kanane
Templar of the Order of the Mailed Fist

(oog) Rob Irving
  • Wardog
22 May 2008 23:44 #22 by Wardog (Wardog)
Got it! I see your point.

Now, what if I have a PC that IG really writes like that and talks like that. Then what?

Don

• GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
23 May 2008 07:29 #23 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic looking at the rules
I would say that it is poor role-playing.  I don't know a single person in real life that writes with an accent, and I deal with many, many international business folk in my job.  Most of them have excellent grammar and spelling, although they swap out a few words because English is not their main language, but they never have an "accent" in their writing.

While a gypsy should have a Romanian accent, they will never actually write "Ze door iz open." or some such - the spelling of a word does not change based on how you pronounce things.

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
  • dedrite
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • For the Emperor!
  • Thank Yous: 1
23 May 2008 07:44 #24 by dedrite (dedrite)
Replied by dedrite (dedrite) on topic looking at the rules
Wat ar yous guys taukin about?  If ya axe me, I dink yous is all nuts.

-Brother Knight Templar Sabatheous Tellinghast-
Knight Templar of the Order of the Brilliant Hammer
Holy Inquisitor of the Church of Kormyre

Crudelius est quam mori semper timere mortem

"Nothing is ever forgotten"

((Joe Bondi-Marketing Officer))
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
23 May 2008 08:42 #25 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic looking at the rules
Wardog's question really has two parts, one of which was not addressed.
A good example - Joe wrote his poor prononciation with the accompanying bad spelling.  If he was literate, IG, he would still speak poorly (or with an accent), but his spelling would be correct.  That is wat I believe Geoff just addresse/  The example given by Wardog is speaking in "cant" an affectation of an earlier form of speech, which still  might be in existence in some locals.  If your character speaks IG using words like "doth, thee, and thou" then methinks writing that would be his norm - but you set yourself a high bar.  What I think he menat (and correct me if I am wrong) if he really speaks using archaic/eclectic words/grammer should his posts follow in that vein - no accent involved?

Just to give a personal example, my grandfather immigrated from Russsia in 1905, and upon entering the USA spoke and wrote 4 languages, none of which was English.  To his dying day he spoke with a heavy accent, but did fill out the NY Times crossword puzzle in ink, and I only beat him in Scrabble one time in my life (and, not relavant to this, less than a handful of times in chess), and I used to play for money in college.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
23 May 2008 09:24 #26 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic looking at the rules

Wat ar yous guys taukin about?  If ya axe me, I dink yous is all nuts.

Go back to sleep, Gazgull.  You had a bad squig pot pie... again.

[hr]

I thought of a good real-world example on the way in this morning.  Take the word for that wet stuff that you drink, use to wash, etc. - Water.

In Boston, one would pronounce it "Whatah"

In Pittsburgh, my aunt would call it "Woot-er"

Some would say that in Brooklyn or Jersey, it's "Waddah"  (As in "Rita's Waddah Ice")

But in all three regions, it's still written down the same way - "water".

Now, as said above, if you have a language pattern - something that is very formal, etc. - that's another story.  Just don't go overboard, or people will chalk you up as being silly and ignore you.

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
  • Kendrick
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 4
23 May 2008 09:49 - 24 May 2008 16:25 #27 by Kendrick (Kendrick)
Replied by Kendrick (Kendrick) on topic looking at the rules
Removed by Moderators for being silly

Brother Kendrick Maeldun
Paladin of the White Fox

oog Chris K
Last edit: 24 May 2008 16:25 by .
  • Wardog
07 Jul 2008 23:21 #28 by Wardog (Wardog)
Well, I am back, I have been doing allot of reading on your web sight and I have once again, a few more questions.

Service Points:  I understand that 100 SP = 1 Build. Lets say I donate a large & small wooden chest. Can anyone give me an example of what the items are worth in SP?

Base Ratio: 1 Hour = 150 SP for example. Is that for IG [as a PC] or OOG [as a NPC]?

SP Assignment Awards:
NPCing for the Weekend:
If you NPC for the weekend, you receive the following benefits:
…you can earn +2 build for the event, on top of any additional build for Rping, Bought build or paying for your PC normally. I know, I did not include the entire post but it looks like I can get SP for playing as an NPC and for paying for my PC at the same time? Is that right?

The downloadable Rules how up to date are they? I ask due to the fact I have seen on a few post that you are updating it. Is it still a work in progress?

I will stop for now. Thanks for your time
:)

Don

• JoDios
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • That guy with the muffin hat.
08 Jul 2008 11:06 #29 by JoDios (JoDios)
Replied by JoDios (JoDios) on topic looking at the rules
The online rulebook is pretty up to date, Roy keeps it going and nice and shiny.

It's really hard to say how much it would be worth.  The best thing to do is bring it in and James will give an amount for it then.

Base Ration: Thats for NPCing that extra hour.

Thats correct though its for NPCing all weekend so your paying for your character but not playing him.

OOG: Jo
  • Elawyn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 177
08 Jul 2008 11:29 #30 by Elawyn (Elawyn)
Replied by Elawyn (Elawyn) on topic looking at the rules
The large/small chests would be worth as per the SP conversion chart listed here:

www.knightrealms.com/index.php?option=co...view&id=56&Itemid=54

So, 20 sp for every $1.00 spent on the item.  If that large chest was $20, it would be worth 400 sp.  Hope that helps.

Defend the Land for it is the Base of the Pillar,

Elawyn Featherthorn Brightstar
Acolyte of the Circle of Ten & Chosen of Fey Lord Tillion
Guardian of Belladeen

---
OOG: Kristen M.
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.721 seconds