Hello, World.

• KaT Adams
  • Thank Yous: 25
02 Sep 2012 04:05 #1 by KaT Adams (katadams)
Hello, World. was created by KaT Adams (katadams)
Greetings, all!~ I am an old-school boffer player, but I've been out of play a long time :( Mostly doing White Wolf these days. I sadly won't be able to come NPC readily for a while as the upcoming games are all first weekend (are they always?) and conflict with Cam Club. I'm kinda the Autumn Sovereign for Changeling (First Friday of the month!) (bloody inconvenient, that) so the next three months I pretty well ought be there as it'd be bad form to just up and leave them when I've become "indispensable" and should be, y'know, ruling. I'm responsible, etc etc etc. Also, I'm (now) the assistant Storyteller for Masquerade, so it'd be rather awful to just leave my fellow staff short handed JUST after I took the job. Sadly, this chronicle only runs for eight more months, and I rather want to get in on that.

HOWEVER, after December, I may just start coming to NPC from 3am Saturday through Sunday. I love being AVST for Vampire Saturday... BUT I MISS BOFFER SO BAD AND WHY DO THEY HAVE TO CONFLICT?! *flails*

Er, as for me, I'm 28, my hair needs a trim, and I used to hunt with a bow, so I fancy having a chance to play with archery again. Like, quite a bit. I'm obviously going to purchase some arrows, as, honestly, once you've hunted you hear an arrow costs 12$ and your eyes kinda bulge a bit and you say "Really? That CHEAP!?" I've made boffer arrows before. I do NOT fancy -ever- doing that again. I used to make bows (wood ones), but fletching was just... ergh. Fiddly little feather bits and the shafts just won't go true and *flails more*

I will be making my own bow out of PVC, I've been talking with people who do it as a hobby and we'll be playing with the right length, recurves, etc, to get it to the right draw length and weight. I HAVE LEARNED SO MUCH ABOUT PVC THAT MY EYES BLEED THINKING ABOUT IT.

Also! I'll be a certified and working EMT in New York (Note, that means I won't be certified in NJ as we haven't worked out a national registry yet because... people.) and will naturally have a kit on hand just in case. Because I didn't always travel with a first aid kit to begin with. /sarcasm Mostly I mention this because I'm interested in if there are any other medical/pre-hospital world people in the group because I'm one of the nerds who loves talking shop and finding more people to chat with (Apparently my current EMT friends all believe I'm studying too hard, which is weird as I'm thus far disappointed with myself, but details).

I'll be posting rules questions over time, but I'll be happily NPCing for at least three months, probably closer to a year before bringing in a character (Though I've already started writing backstory-oh dear Ghu I'm hopeless). Aside from the obvious black clothes/props/food/water/RTFM, any suggestions? Anyone still reading? Sorry, I'm verbose and new and exciting things tend to result in me asking about a billion questions until I understand a system inside and out.

I'm sure the couple people already at KR who know me will pipe up to mock my caffeine-fueled chipper-ness at some point. Have away, good friends. But remember, my aim is true...

KaT Adams

"His name meant 'Glad Voice,' and once again had meaning."
02 Sep 2012 11:35 #2 by curt pantuso (Nyle M.)
Replied by curt pantuso (Nyle M.) on topic Hello, World.
an extra three pairs of socks there are a number of puddles on camp. and if your coming during the winter some wool under armor is saves your life.

IG: Nyle M.

OOG curt pantuso
The following user(s) said Thank You: KaT Adams (katadams)
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
02 Sep 2012 12:06 #3 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic Hello, World.
Hi and welcome. Please make sure you read our New Players! write up (even if you're a veteran LARPer, it helps give a sense of who we are & what we're about). If you plan on doing archery, please make sure you read out policies about that.

Hope you get to join us soon & have a great time.

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
  • Chris G.
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Our Life is Made by the Death of Others...
  • Thank Yous: 95
02 Sep 2012 12:27 #4 by Chris G. (Cross)
Replied by Chris G. (Cross) on topic Hello, World.
Hey, and welcome to Knight Realms!

I just wanted to say real quick that if you have any questions at all about our system, about being a New Player, ect... and you can't find the information on the website or you need some clarification or an opinion about something you have in mind, feel free to shoot me a PM or email at

Looking forward to meeting you!

[hr]
Squire Lucas R. Brand
Squire to Lord Antrim Ardentfyre
--
Tanis Rily'anna
--
OOG: Chris Goley
Mook
  • KaT Adams
02 Sep 2012 16:27 #5 by KaT Adams (katadams)
Replied by KaT Adams (katadams) on topic Hello, World.
Curt: Oh my yes, extra socks. I used to backpack in the Colorado Rockies. I'm PAINFULLY aware of the need to have extra socks-I usually have five pair, even for a two day outing. Y'never know. When -really- camping, I usually brought a cotton pair as well, but that was more for emergency tinder than wearing! (Those little pilled bits of cotton on the inside? VERY useful)

Paul: I've been reading and lurking the boards like a madman! And the Gallery. And the rulebook. I may be a -wee- bit enthusiastic for KR...

Chris: Thank you for the offer, as I get confused, I'm sure I will ^_^;;

Also, I am broke like you wouldn't believe, but I can probably donate some spell packets when I can finally get free of my other games :P . Is any color preferred? A range of colors? Paisley? I also offer, for at least a few months, my hands in the kitchen to help there (I can make most things if given good instructions), my basic knowledge of wilderness, archery, and swordplay for other new incomers, and my sewing repair skills because my LARP experience says that's always useful x3

May I ask what local plant life is to be expected? I saw details about local animal life so I'm not too concerned there (You don't have rattlers up here. Black bears are -cute-. Rattlers and Bobcat make me worry when they're nervous, and they're ALWAYS nervous. I will, however, retreat from wild turkey unless I'm well-armed. Bleedin' nightmare fuel animals). But I like to know what plants (types of trees, common ground cover, fruiting plants, risks like Ivy and Crown of Thorns, etc) I'll be dealing with. I know what I want to be prepared for as I figured that now was as good a time as any to learn the local flora, finally. Knowing Colorado Rockies flora don't help much out east!

Also, is it alright for me to actually -camp- camp? Like put up a lean-to or some such, rig my stuff up a tree hide, and sleep well out-of-sight? (Unless you tell me I can, I don't start open fires outside of a pit. I come from Colorado, we've had ENOUGH experience with wildfires this past oh, decade, to have learned QUITE well, thank you!) I ask for when I actually bring in a character (I'm thinking Dryad Ranger) and it's the whole Dryad thing-I want to stick heavily to my concept and camping is just -fun- as far as I am concerned! I recognize there may be concerns amongst staff in having someone sleeping alone in the woods, so I don't want to make anyone worry any more than need be and I don't know what your insurance will balk at ;)

KaT Adams

02 Sep 2012 16:32 #6 by Draknar DoKanen (Draknar DoKanen)
Replied by Draknar DoKanen (Draknar DoKanen) on topic Hello, World.
Camping is perfectly fine, and several players have done similar things in the past. As you guessed, fires outside of firepits are not allowed, however.

Sean

Skimmel
RP Marshal, Rules Marshal, Storyteller
02 Sep 2012 21:04 - 02 Sep 2012 21:07 #7 by curt pantuso (Nyle M.)
Replied by curt pantuso (Nyle M.) on topic Hello, World.
Flora the only real danger is the poison ivy. there is a sporadic nettle bush here and there but they grow next to the pond and i can tell you from all my time lurking in the woods at night i have never run into ether of these. but if you are over susceptible to poison ivy its around in a few spots. other flora of interest is the mulberry tree in the middle of camp the black berry and wine-berry bushes as well as black caps and a few established local food plants. there's also an established group of plants i call LARP flora which hail from the thousands of burst spell packets nonnatives like flax and bee-balms mostly. the trees in the area consist of white pine, elms, a few willow, some hundred year oaks, and lily poplar, and some swamp& sugar maple.

As for fauna you have of course the local black bears there numbers fluctuate but the know how is the same they want food and they do stupid black bear stuff to get it. other flora ive witnessed at camp is a few stray cats, the wild turkeys you hate, a master thief raccoon, foxes of both the red and brown variety, a skunk (seen near the back paths), a few opossums, bird life of all types(including great horned owls and large wood peckers) , and most interestingly a rare group of coyote that run threw the camp looking for scraps in the wee hours of the morning. no need to worry about them though there really rare and from what I've heard from them the few times that i have they run threw the camp not stopping at any one place there a lot more jumpy here then out west.
for any other questions on the nature stuff i am more then happy to oblige.

IG: Nyle M.

OOG curt pantuso
Last edit: 02 Sep 2012 21:07 by curt pantuso (Nyle M.).
  • Kleidin
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 152
02 Sep 2012 21:10 #8 by Kleidin (Kleidin)
Replied by Kleidin (Kleidin) on topic Hello, World.
Don't forget the bats. They are not food, even if they fly into your mouth.

Lady Kleidin du Tenkukai Weaveforger Laurent-Belmont of Kaladonia
Master Witch Hunter, and Elder Druid
OOG: Diane Sodher
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
02 Sep 2012 21:26 #9 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic Hello, World.
When it comes to plants & animals... just use common sense. Leave them alone. Don't touch anything you don't know. Lock up your personal possessions and food. If there's an issue or problem, contact a staff-person to handle it. These simple rules can pretty much cover anything both IG & OOG while at an event. Again, feel free to ask questions, peruse the forums & rulebook... both sources cover a lot of stuff & no doubt will answer any particulars you may have.

Last but not least... please come to event when you can & have fun.

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt D (MattD), KaT Adams (katadams)
  • KaT Adams
03 Sep 2012 15:24 #10 by KaT Adams (katadams)
EtAl: Thank you! Esp Curt, that was far more comprehensive than I'd hoped! Seems all stuff I'm (on occasion painfully) familiar with, so I doubt I'll be much surprised. Though I'd not thought about the non-indigenous stuff from the spell packets! I can't wait to get the time to NPC, I think I've got as clear a view of the site as possible sans being there (I think I have the map nearly memorized), but nothing beats on-site look-about.

You've all been very helpful, thank you! <3 I can see why my friends love KR so!

KaT Adams

• Kelly
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Thank Yous: 134
04 Sep 2012 09:38 #11 by Kelly (Kelly)
Replied by Kelly (Kelly) on topic Hello, World.
If you want to be in the clear with the staff with your EMT kit, bring your certs (once you get them) to game and show them to the safety officer, Jackie Means.

Dame Zafrin Yhatzi
Knight of Drega'mire

OOG: Kelly Osborne
  • KaT Adams
04 Sep 2012 18:24 #12 by KaT Adams (katadams)
Naturally, will do! :)

KaT Adams

Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.525 seconds