Hello Everybody!

• Alicia D.
  • Thank Yous: 48
16 Oct 2012 21:24 #1 by Alicia D. (MaidenInSnow)
Hello Everybody! was created by Alicia D. (MaidenInSnow)
Hi! I'm super interested in this game! I found out about it at the Newyork Comic-Con with all my friends :-)

I have started reading the rulebook and the new player section since saturday, and I have and idea for a character but I couldn't ask all my questions at the con booth!

Can anyone help me?

I really want to attend the event on Nov 2nd with my PC! :cheer:

IG:
Alicia M. Dura
The Woman in White.
==============
OOG: Raquel Allen
(Rocky)
==============
"Every time it snows, all new designs fall out of the sky. It's a wonder that so much beauty has been wasted. Because when they melt, they are lost...never to be seen again."
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
16 Oct 2012 21:44 #2 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Hello Everybody!
Ask away! There's a ton of New Player helpers who will chime in.

I'll also recommend playing as an NPC only your first event - it means the game is free, you get Build (XP) for playing before you start, and you also get a better idea how the game works before you make your first PC.

Some of our more famous players NPCed for YEARS before they ever rolled a PC....

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
16 Oct 2012 21:45 #3 by Silverbow Patriarch (Ardin)
Replied by Silverbow Patriarch (Ardin) on topic Hello Everybody!
Hello Raquel. Welcome to the Knight Realms site. I am glad you are interested in joining our family and can't wait to see you at the event on November 2nd. I sugegst that you read over the section entitled "New Players" and come up with your concept, which you seem to have done. I am one of several Role Play Marshalls, and can surely get you pointed in the right direction. I would be glad to help you with any specific questions. Simply send me a PM(private message), as I am sure you don't want all of your character's secrets out there for all to see.

At the event, we have New Player Marshalls who will assist in getting your concept down on paper. There is also new player training that will get you up to speed on the basic game mechanics.

If you have questions rellated to rules, you can post under that heading in the Forums and a Rules Marshall will respond, usually very quickly.

Hope you enjoy the site and see you in a few weeks!

Norm B
RP Marshall

Lord Ardin Silverbow
Lord of Pendarvin

"While others succumb, we overcome."
-Silverbow Motto

OOG: Norm B
Safety Deputy

"When I think of the greatness of my job and realize that I am what I am, I am amazed, but on reflection, who is as good as I am? I know of no one."
-George Patton(I wish Ardin had said this first)
  • Chris G.
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Our Life is Made by the Death of Others...
  • Thank Yous: 95
16 Oct 2012 21:56 - 16 Oct 2012 22:09 #4 by Chris G. (Cross)
Replied by Chris G. (Cross) on topic Hello Everybody!
Hello Raquel!

My name is Chris and I am your resident New Player Deputy! I'm happy to hear you got to check us out at Comic Con, while I wasn't able to be there myself I heard it was a blast! I will be more than happy to field any questions, bounce any ideas and listen to any concerns you may have as you read on!

We'll be happy to have you, I'm sure! Thank you for showing your interest!

I look forward to hearing from you!

P.S. -- You can go ahead and PM me or email me at

[hr]
Squire Lucas R. Brand
Squire to Lord Antrim Ardentfyre
--
Tanis Rily'anna
--
OOG: Chris Goley
Mook
Last edit: 16 Oct 2012 22:09 by Chris G. (Cross).
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
16 Oct 2012 22:08 #5 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic Hello Everybody!
Hey Raquel. I'm a New Player Marshal. I help out with your player cards/creating characters and getting you guys involved.
Can't wait to help you out on November 2!!!

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
  • Alicia D.
16 Oct 2012 23:15 #6 by Alicia D. (MaidenInSnow)
Replied by Alicia D. (MaidenInSnow) on topic Hello Everybody!
Hi Caelvan!

I wanted to know what profession you recommend that is a good blend between fighting (combat not magic) and healing. My PC is supposed to be a sweet girl with a kind heart (most of the time), not just a fighter. Also can my PC have a Jekyll and Hyde type personality? If so can she have a different look/costume for the good and evil side?

IG:
Alicia M. Dura
The Woman in White.
==============
(Rocky)
==============
"Every time it snows, all new designs fall out of the sky. It's a wonder that so much beauty has been wasted. Because when they melt, they are lost...never to be seen again."
16 Oct 2012 23:23 #7 by Draknar DoKanen (Draknar DoKanen)
Replied by Draknar DoKanen (Draknar DoKanen) on topic Hello Everybody!
1. You are welcome to arrive in either, but personally I would hate driving all that way in a costume. Most people arrive in OOG clothes and change once on-site. Lay-on varies, but is generally called between 9 - 10PM. If you show up late, don't sweat it.

2. Knight Realms is a 24/3 game, meaning it runs all night. In most cases, sleeping OOG is not allowed. If you have to sleep out of game for some reason it must be approved by the director, James. Pajamas are fine, just please try to keep them nondescript. Hello Kitty PJs are gonna look mighty silly when you get attacked in the middle of the night.

3. Modern things like phones and hair straighteners are fine, as long as they are used discreetly away from highly populated areas.

4. When IG items are stolen, they are gone and not returned. Your phys-rep for swords and such can be picked up from logistics.

5. Most people bring food with them to get them through the weekend, although there is generally food available from sources at the game (market fair on Saturday afternoon, breakfast at the inn, etc). People sell food for both IG and OOG money, so having both is probably your best bet.

Sean

Skimmel
RP Marshal, Rules Marshal, Storyteller
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alicia D. (MaidenInSnow)
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
17 Oct 2012 01:33 - 17 Oct 2012 10:07 #8 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
For a combo fight/healing class? That's a tough balance.

If you're dead set on combat immediately when you jump into the game, I would go ranger, or priest or cleric both have combat and healing spells....problem that you'll have is the spells are a casting and verbal thing...as is the minor healing you get with ranger...However I recommend for the best RP out of healing, to start as a healer(It's a profession that HAS to be your first profession if you ever want to take it anyway. And then early on pick up warrior or another combat class to get that aspect out of it.

Ultimately however, it is up to you.

As for costuming, that is entirely up to you, as long as it looks IG, you shouldn't have much of a problem.

Caelvan Renaith
[hr]
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
Last edit: 17 Oct 2012 10:07 by Caelvan (Caelvan).
  • Bagwell
  • Thank Yous: 0
17 Oct 2012 06:17 #9 by Bagwell (Bagwell)
Replied by Bagwell (Bagwell) on topic Hello Everybody!
Hey Raquel,

"Also can my PC have a Jekyll and Hyde type personality? If so can she have a different look/costume for the good and evil side?"

That sounds really cool.

Bagwell
Be a shield of the weak,
Be obedient to your liege-lord,
Be foremost in battle,
Be generous at all times.

OOG John H"
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
17 Oct 2012 07:55 - 17 Oct 2012 08:50 #10 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Hello Everybody!
Hi Raquel,

I will strongly advise against the Jekyll / Hyde combo, for two reasons:

1) It's been done before, repeatedly.

2) Someone will attempt to "cure" it as soon as the dual personality becomes evident. This will result in either you being frustrated that your concept was "defeated" so quickly, or everyone else being frustrated that they can't cure it. (This is from personal experience at Knight Realms).

The best way to make a memorable character is to have a personality that is normal, but memorable. A code of honor, a religious devotion, a dedication to your Lord or Land, etc.

You're not the only person who has asked this question recently, so don't feel bad! The key thing to realize is that good character "writing" (role-play) is better than a crutch or gimmick in the long run.

Edit: There's a former discussion on this topic here: www.knightrealms.com/forum/Realizing-the...g-with-insanity.html

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
Last edit: 17 Oct 2012 08:50 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elawyn (Elawyn), Pappy (Quan), KaT Adams (katadams), Alicia D. (MaidenInSnow)
  • Keavy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Will bite when provoked
  • Thank Yous: 231
17 Oct 2012 10:11 #11 by Keavy (Dani)
Replied by Keavy (Dani) on topic Hello Everybody!
Hey Raquel :)

I just wanted to say a bit about the "Jekyll/Hyde" personality question. I agree with Geoff that it would be frustrating to have because of the reactions people would have. However, that shouldn't hold you back from giving your character a certain quirk that could relate to their backstory in some way. Like, their parents were alchemists, so they have a passion for making potions too. Or the opposite! They didn't want to end up boring like them, so they became a warrior! The way I see it, the best way to have a certain quirk for your character is to have a reasonable explanation for it. Insanities and the like are one thing, and can be caught IG frequently, but having something like a special item the character loves for x reason, or preferring bacon over any other food, etc. are things that can make your character stand out.

Plus, the "jekyll/hyde" personality doesn't/shouldn't have to be an obvious RP. There are characters who can RP being good and evil so subtly that talking to them makes me shudder! (Yes, I'm looking at you, Alex!)

In Loyalty to Arawyn,
Keavy Lylas Kennyr'renaith
Servant and Protector of Arawyn
Druid | Totem Diviner | Herald of Nature
Danielle Sanfilippo
The following user(s) said Thank You: Onca (Lorelai), Annora (Karen), Alicia D. (MaidenInSnow)
  • KaT Adams
  • Thank Yous: 25
17 Oct 2012 12:58 #12 by KaT Adams (katadams)
Replied by KaT Adams (katadams) on topic Hello Everybody!
Can I say that, as for the Jekyll/Hyde idea, you can bring it in a bit and get a lot of the same RP, but without the horribly RP-restricting side-effects!

I'd recommend a generally sweet character like you mentioned, one that is honestly not very violent, and want to help people, who has a vicious and hard-to-control temper. They tend to lash out, verbally and physically, depending on the situation, only to recover themselves soon after, and have to deal with hating their own behavior. Not so much an actual illness so much as a poor behavioral trait. This might even be better as a bit of a surprise that only comes to light when pushed to an emotional extreme (which makes it more engaging and also let gimmicky). They might, in a combat scene, at first be fairly weak, trying to avoid injuring someone, but suddenly fly into a rage when someone they care about is injured, or fail to revive someone on the field because they're not an adept enough healer yet, and go ballistic on the nearest enemy. Rangers seem to have a good skill spread for this.

There's a lot you can do that will allow you a richer, simpler interaction without the difficulty of delving into MPD. It will also make your character more fun to be around, which is something I often forget to mention when people go for this sort of concept. Real psych issues are uncomfortable to work with and around; as a friend said, there's a certain disconnect that happens when it's RP'd well or in real life that unsettles us greatly. It's not necessarily an appropriate RP for all games, though it is fascinating. I'd say that a Jekyll/Hyde concept is great, but rein it in a bit. If you don't make it a serious character flaw, it won't be as fulfilling, but if it consumes the character, you'll lose so much RP opportunity, which is sad. In between these two is an RP sweet spot that will liven up roleplay, but allow the game to move at a reasonable pace.

I also have to really throw in with the "NPC a bit before you PC" school of thought. The longer and more whole-heartedly you NPC the better you'll know the system, the setting, and the character types. You'll be more "tuned in" on the vagaries that every game has, and you'll also get better at the actual physical skills of the particular game you're getting into (as an example, I'd consider Dagorhir and Knight Realms, though both solid boffers, to be so entirely different as to make comparison irrelevant and transitioning between them like virtually starting completely fresh). Not only that, but NPCing means you have to really pull on several skins, usually, per event. You're acting muscles will get SO much stronger for NPCing a good amount. In the Changeling: The Lost game I'm in, I NPC'd a full year, once, and feel I'm MUCH better off for it.

Also, one personal secret for awesome characterization from me to you (Shh, it's totally a secret, don't tell anyone! ;) ), bring really in-character food stuffs. I used to backpack, I've cooked for re-enactors, so I will be bringing things like enriched hard-tack, dried/smoked meats, shelf-friendly fruits, a water bladder, dry cheese, etc. It adds to the atmosphere and pushes you from "In character" to "Part of the world".

Such are my thoughts.

KaT Adams

"His name meant 'Glad Voice,' and once again had meaning."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Annora (Karen), Alicia D. (MaidenInSnow)
  • Bagwell
  • Thank Yous: 0
17 Oct 2012 23:18 - 17 Oct 2012 23:20 #13 by Bagwell (Bagwell)
Replied by Bagwell (Bagwell) on topic Hello Everybody!
Afetr listening to their valid points I a gree with Geoff and Danielle about the jekyll and hyde thing being a problem based on players reactions to it. I still think it is an awesome Idea in theroy however. :cool:

Bagwell
Be a shield of the weak,
Be obedient to your liege-lord,
Be foremost in battle,
Be generous at all times.

OOG John H"
Last edit: 17 Oct 2012 23:20 by Bagwell (Bagwell).
  • Alicia D.
18 Oct 2012 19:08 #14 by Alicia D. (MaidenInSnow)
Wow thanks for all the input guys!

I pretty much agree with everyones point on the whole Jekyl and Hyde thing. I think I'm going to lead my character along the sweet innocent road (which is what I was thinking in the first place!)

Can anyone explain to me how healing works IG as well as what to do, as in RP actions. Because I'm confused as to how that works. Also what if someone steals and item from me? Like if I was asleep or unconscious and someone steals my sword what happens? Am I just weapon-less? Will I ever get it back?

IG:
Alicia M. Dura
The Woman in White.
==============
(Rocky)
==============
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
18 Oct 2012 19:22 - 18 Oct 2012 19:25 #15 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
1: Healing works in a couple ways. If its a spell, such as from a druid or priest list, you say the appropriate verbal while touching the person you would like to heal, and at the completion of the spell that go up X body. If you are doing the skill off of healer, you touch them while concentrating for a certain amount of time(varies on the skill) and then once the time is done you, the skill takes effect.

2: Stealing an item works in these steps.
a)person A steals from Person B
b) Person A brings the physrep(sword, shield, etc.) to Logistics
c) Person B sees that their sword is not near them/on them and goes to Logistics to see if someone turned it in
d) Logistics Marshal says "Yes it's here. Someone stole it"
e) Person B hands in the item card associated with that physrep/item
f) Person A comes back for the item card, to do with as they please and Person B has to get a new weapon made

Long story short, your phys-rep is gone until you get it back from Logistics. However IG yes you are weaponless until you get another one made.....

We go more into detail with this during New Player Training.

Caelvan Renaith
[hr]
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
Last edit: 18 Oct 2012 19:25 by Caelvan (Caelvan).
  • Alicia D.
18 Oct 2012 21:21 #16 by Alicia D. (MaidenInSnow)
oh thanks for clearing that up! Are there vendors on site that i can buy weapons and costume pieces before the game starts? :) thanks so much for your help!

IG:
Alicia M. Dura
The Woman in White.
==============
(Rocky)
==============
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
18 Oct 2012 21:30 #17 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Sean M....From LARP exchange is usually there and he sometimes sells weapons and costume before game starts.
If he isn't we usually can lend new players weapons, for their first event.
Someone if I am incorrect please veto me on this statement.

Caelvan Renaith
[hr]
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
  • Chris G.
  • Banned
  • Banned
18 Oct 2012 21:52 #18 by Chris G. (Cross)
Conor is correct, in the event you cannot get anything ready by the event and nobody is available to sell, we can usually spare to loan something to a new player.

[hr]
Squire Lucas R. Brand
--
Tanis Rily'anna
--
Mook
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
18 Oct 2012 23:26 #19 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic Hello Everybody!
If you post your size & what you might need in advance, that might help to make sure something is made available if needed.

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
19 Oct 2012 00:53 #20 by Sean Moulson (Moulson13)
Replied by Sean Moulson (Moulson13) on topic Hello Everybody!
Raquel my name is Sean and you may have talked to me at the con. Im excited to see y'all out at game.

Also if you go to larp exchange and tell Sean (not me) that you will pick it up at game he will make sure he has it.

Anhil Shadesar, Knight of Kaladonia

Storyteller
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
19 Oct 2012 01:22 #21 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
we have to many sean M's

Caelvan Renaith
[hr]
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
  • Alicia D.
19 Oct 2012 18:12 #22 by Alicia D. (MaidenInSnow)
Hi Sean! I did meet you at the con! I don't know if you remember me but I met you on Saturday with all my friends! (I was dressed as a sailor boy with a blue hat haha) You really excited and inspired us to join! Your costume was super awesome! Thanks for telling us about this! The whole group of us that you talked to is coming to the November event :)

And all I have to do is go to LARP exchange, buy an item and pick up at the game? Or do I have to email Sean?

IG:
Alicia M. Dura
The Woman in White.
==============
(Rocky)
==============
  • Chris G.
  • Banned
  • Banned
19 Oct 2012 18:29 #23 by Chris G. (Cross)
www.larpexchange.com is the website. I will try and get ahold of Sean today for you to make sure he will be at the event. He should be last I checked, but I will try and verify for you ASAP.

If you have any further questions, feel free to throw me another PM!

Thanks,

[hr]
Squire Lucas R. Brand
--
Tanis Rily'anna
--
Mook
  • Pappy
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • First in, Last out
  • Thank Yous: 103
19 Oct 2012 18:58 #24 by Pappy (Quan)
Replied by Pappy (Quan) on topic Hello Everybody!
Hi Raquel, I'm Luis and apart from helping new players I'm part of the kitchen staff. I'd like to Welcome you to our little community as well. Once in game it can get a little overwhelming and I'd like to offer you a safe place to socialize, ask questions and get familiarized in general as well as earn service points and gold.

furthermore, if there are food allergies you'd like to mention I'm the person to talk to...

As far as costuming you might check our "Marketplace link" you can sometimes find some great bargains from other players...

hope to see you soon

Quan Liu Shen
Former Headmaster of Wudan Mtn. Academy             
"When the time comes, a mouse can become a tiger"

--*--

Vladmir Ahmad As'Hassin
Brotherhood of workers Guild

OGG:
     Luis C
Kitchen Staff
Officer
  • Alicia D.
19 Oct 2012 20:57 #25 by Alicia D. (MaidenInSnow)
Ah I see! Thanks again Chris! Let me know as soon as you can! :)

Hi Luis! Thanks for the warm welcome! I will definitely check out the Marketplace!

IG:
Alicia M. Dura
The Woman in White.
==============
(Rocky)
==============
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.652 seconds