New Character Questions

• Draven Erdboren
  • "Let my armies be the rocks and the trees, and the birds in the sky."
  • Thank Yous: 39
20 Nov 2012 16:55 #1 by Draven Erdboren (Grundill)
New Character Questions was created by Draven Erdboren (Grundill)
Hi,
I have come by to 1 event so far, NPCed and had a blast.
After playing, my initial idea is to come in as a

Cleric worshiping Galladel

I have a few questions as to how far RolePlaying is taken into account VS being TOO into character.
As a follower of Galladel, Spiritual Purity of Earthly Greatness
Would i be over playing my character if i opted to Sit out on a quest i felt was simply showing off or morally wrong ?
would this be viewed as poor cooperation ?
or would GOING ON the quest cause Galladel to lose favor with me ?

Alternately, is there room for play within the character ?
For a back story, i was thinking of playing my Cleric as one who was exiled from the Church of Galladel
and is on his quest to regain the favor of his Deity ?

Thanks in advance and i look forward to seeing you all again in the following months !

Draven Erdboren
Huntsman
Squire to Lord Lucius Blackthorne

OOG Chris L.
Monster Marshal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ilana Darkwood (Ilana_Darkwood)
  • Chris G.
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Our Life is Made by the Death of Others...
  • Thank Yous: 95
20 Nov 2012 18:11 #2 by Chris G. (Cross)
Replied by Chris G. (Cross) on topic New Character Questions
Hi Chris,

To answer your question from an RP standpoint is it totally up to you how you feel your character should and will respond to any given situation, however Spiritual Purity over Earthly Greatness generally, at least in my opinion, falls into the concept of don't worry to much about your stuff, it's not like you take it with you when you pass on. If you understand what I am saying. Generally the only way to lose favor with your deity is to totally break or disregard one of the tenants of your god.

There is a lot of room in your backstory for give and take, though I would err to the side of caution with creating a character first-time involving something such as being Exiled. If you are Exiled from your God, it is often for blatantly disregarding his tenants or doing something abhorrently evil. However, the Atmosphere Officer, Marybeth handles the approval of Character Histories, so if you wanted to speak with her I would suggest PMing her. Her Forum Name is Cassandra.

If you have any further questions please feel free to PM me, E-Mail me at or just post here!

Thanks,

[hr]
Squire Lucas R. Brand
Squire to Lord Antrim Ardentfyre
--
Tanis Rily'anna
--
OOG: Chris Goley
Mook
The following user(s) said Thank You: Draven Erdboren (Grundill)
  • Alex
  • Kingslayer
  • Thank Yous: 206
25 Nov 2012 03:04 #3 by Alex (Wormwood)
Replied by Alex (Wormwood) on topic New Character Questions
There is no such thing as being too in character. Your right to behave as you see your character ends in two places: 1) the safety and OOG comfort of other people, and 2) game world continuity. that is to say, do not hit people in the face because that is what your character would do, and do not try to say you have a scar from a laser gun accident.

At the end of the day, all of the "quests", combat, and preparation are there to support your acting, not the other way around! you are doing everyone around you a favor by being "uncooperative" in situations you feel your character would be by making it feel that much more real. realistic people are FAR more interesting than superheroes. trust me.

As far as backstories are concerned, i find a good rule of thumb is to take a concept, then remove any involvement required by a third party. for example, a redemption idea is great, but being new to the game it is unrealistic for you to know the ins and outs of the church, its history, timeline, and political mood at given points, so dont even bother guessing! an easier idea might be to make it a personal punishment. perhaps your character views his own actions as unacceptable to his god, and such has taken vows to discipline and purify himself, and sets off to find a way to make it up to galladell. the specifics are up to you, of course, my point is simply that backstories tend to work best when they are a starting point for personal growth rather than an indicator of previous relationships that werent acted out.

you seem to have your priorities in a good place. cant wait to see what you come up with!

OOG: Alex B.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elawyn (Elawyn), Josephine (mferro54), Eden Heimdell (amalthea), Moirya (Moirya), Dimetri Yhatzi (DMvanhart), Annora (Karen), Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042), Draven Erdboren (Grundill), Orion (Orion.)
  • Draven Erdboren
  • "Let my armies be the rocks and the trees, and the birds in the sky."
  • Thank Yous: 39
30 Nov 2012 09:46 #4 by Draven Erdboren (Grundill)
Replied by Draven Erdboren (Grundill) on topic New Character Questions
Alex THANKS
great ideas in there, and it keeps all my original plans perfectly.

My next question is in regards to armor and soak
If i have plate for a soak of 3...
is that 3 no matter HOW MUCH plate i am wearing ?
or do i get a soak of 3 for each Plate i wear ?
Chest
Pauldrons
Arm
for a total soak of 9 ?
Thanks Again

Draven Erdboren
Huntsman
Squire to Lord Lucius Blackthorne

OOG Chris L.
Monster Marshal
  • Chris G.
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Our Life is Made by the Death of Others...
  • Thank Yous: 95
30 Nov 2012 10:43 #5 by Chris G. (Cross)
Replied by Chris G. (Cross) on topic New Character Questions
Your soak is calculated as a total that is only active so long as you are wearing the Upper and Lower Torso items. There is no soak gained for only wearing Pauldrons, Arms, Legs, ect.

Your soak also remains in effect so long as the armor is crafted in game, even if the armor no longer has any Armor Points, the Soak will remain.

[hr]
Squire Lucas R. Brand
Squire to Lord Antrim Ardentfyre
--
Tanis Rily'anna
--
OOG: Chris Goley
Mook
The following user(s) said Thank You: Draven Erdboren (Grundill)
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.504 seconds