Books & other such paperweights

• Goggs
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 226
30 Nov 2012 03:49 #1 by Goggs (coryan)
Books & other such paperweights was created by Goggs (coryan)
Hello!

I'm hoping to play a scholar next month, but wanted to get some clarification on how tomes work before diving in.

So let's say I'm a scholar. I've spent some build on Literacy, Advanced Literacy and Research, so I can read things. I've somehow managed to get my hands on a tome which is concerned with some arbitrary skill (let's say that it's Advanced First Aid from the trauma branch of physician skills.)

If I have enough build, can I now learn Advanced First Aid from that tome? Or is this only possible if I am also a physician?

- Coryan

- A. C. Goggins
Quartermaster

OOG: Cory W-S
"If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a Maul."
  • Aemorniel
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • In Truth, all things are Bound.
  • Thank Yous: 108
30 Nov 2012 07:06 - 30 Nov 2012 08:38 #2 by Aemorniel (Aemorniel)
Replied by Aemorniel (Aemorniel) on topic Books & other such paperweights
From a Tome, if you wish to learn that skill, you must have a list that makes it able to learn that skill. In your scenario--yes you would have to be a physician. If you have any more scholarly questions, do not hesitate to ask. I have been playing one for over a year so I could give some pointers or explain things if you like.

The only Tome you have to worry about currently as a scholar is the Tome of Education in the library. It is a Scholar's Tome. It has every skill, Tradition, etc that a scholar can have except for the weapon skills and Waylay. The usual purpose of a Tome is to provide a teacher for when no teacher is around. I used the Tome of Education myself for a majority of my education but I recommend that it's a lot more fun to learn from one of the various other scholars about the skills because they can give you personal insight and recommendations from their experience.

What tradition are you coming in with?

Loremaster Aemorniel Estelwen Silverbow
The Quill of the Witch Hunter Academy of Travance
Apprentice to the Baronial Small Council
Court Scholar of Pendarvin
Assistant Editor and Columnist of The Travance Chronicle

While Others Succumb, We Overcome
~~~~~~~~~
OOG--JJ G.

The past cannot be changed, forgotten, edited, or erased. It can only be accepted.
Last edit: 30 Nov 2012 08:38 by Aemorniel (Aemorniel).
  • Goggs
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
01 Dec 2012 01:05 #3 by Goggs (coryan)
Replied by Goggs (coryan) on topic Books & other such paperweights
Thanks for the explanation! That certainly makes sense - I think I understand the role played by tomes (and indeed scholars) a little better now.

I'm glad you asked about tradition, as it's also something I've recently been puzzling over. My intention is to play a Londwynian (if the powers that be look favourably upon my request to do so,) but I understand that things like magic and prayers are not something that we have much respect for. As such, I'm not sure which tradition would make the most sense for the character. Ostensibly, the bardic tradition is least mystical in nature, however with magic being perhaps quite a strange and exotic business for Londwynians, it might also be fun to play a scholar who does not trust in it, but can see its effects on the world and therefore seeks to explain it logically through careful study.

What tradition(s) do you follow? How have you found playing them?

- A. C. Goggins
Quartermaster

• Aemorniel
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
01 Dec 2012 16:03 - 01 Dec 2012 16:06 #4 by Aemorniel (Aemorniel)
Well first thing I will explain is that the Arcane and Bardic traditions are both linked in a way because both of their abilities come from the Weave. Divine's base is in the Gods--which means you must be baptized to a god in the first place which is usually very un-Londwynian but it happens sometimes. Druidics is based in nature. The Londwyn culture is usually hated by Sylvans because of the fact their country destroys trees and nature without a second thought for industrial purposes. With that in mind, that could inform how you RP the situation. What motivations you have to have it and such. My friend Gus plays a Londwyn Scholar who has many of the traditions but he also doesn't play a regular Londwyn. You will have to ask him exactly to get the full story. His character's name is Jack Cypher.

I personally have all four traditions. Many if not most of the people who are scholars don't choose to take all four of them because of various reasons--they aren't drawn to it, if you become a bardic/arcane scholar you are technically a part of the Mage Guild and they don't want to be part of a guild, they don't believe or revere in the gods, etc, etc. I personally am a Chroniclerite--meaning I follow Chronicler--and I am a Quinarian. Those descriptions in itself tell volumes on why I would have all four traditions. I started with Arcane Tradition--which makes sense since Quinarians are strongly connected with magic. My character also is a little bit OCD when it comes to learning things--she is a completionist and did not move on to her next class until she had all of scholar finished. She learned all four traditions because it made no sense to her to deny any tradition.

I won't make a recommendation for you because I think how you want to play your character will dictate what one you want. Is your character intrigued by this thing called "magic"? Do they really like to sing/perform and have discovered that music has power when they use it in a certain way? Do they actually kind of like one god or another? My personal opinion--which is my own so I won't tell you what you can and cannot do--is that Druidic tradition is the one you are least likely to pick up as your first tradition because of the mindset the culture has. The only way I can think of otherwise is perhaps your character lived near the border between Selendrias and Londwyn and saw the devastation your people were wreaking.

Why is it you are coming to Travance? Why leave your homeland? That I think will help answer the question on what tradition would make sense for you.

~~~~~~~~~
OOG--JJ G.

The past cannot be changed, forgotten, edited, or erased. It can only be accepted.
Last edit: 01 Dec 2012 16:06 by Aemorniel (Aemorniel).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Goggs (coryan)
  • Lois Heimdell
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • "All good stories are built on conflict," said the Raven to the Writing Desk.
  • Thank Yous: 1026
02 Dec 2012 12:39 #5 by Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Replied by Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell) on topic Books & other such paperweights

Goggs wrote: My intention is to play a Londwynian (if the powers that be look favourably upon my request to do so,) but I understand that things like magic and prayers are not something that we have much respect for. As such, I'm not sure which tradition would make the most sense for the character.

Hello there! I play a Londwyn scholar with the Arcane and Bardic traditions. While Londwyns do not have a great respect for the arcane, there's nothing in the game preventing them from learning it. Remember that an academic tradition is just that - academic, and at a basic level of understanding. I almost never actually cast anything; my character sees magic as a powerful force that should be studied, but not depended upon. There are plenty of other ways to justify learning all the traditions, as JJ pointed out above (except for divine, which has the baptism requirement*), so just put a little bit of thought into it and I'm sure you'll have no problem picking them up.

If you have more questions, please feel free to PM me, or send an email to MaryBeth, our RP atmosphere officer at . If you want to play a Londwyn, you'll need to send her an email in any case with your backstory for approval.

*Jack Cypher is weird. ;-) Don't expect to be baptized to anything. I'm sure Gus will tell you all about his adventures as the Rejected of Enax. :p

----

----
((OOG: Cassie Stanley, Marshal Deputy))
The following user(s) said Thank You: Goggs (coryan)
  • Goggs
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
03 Dec 2012 05:15 #6 by Goggs (coryan)
Gosh, thankyou both for such detailed input! I see where you're coming from - studying a subject for the sake of interest does not require (or indeed necessitate) any faith in the subject matter. It's very interesting to read how you've chosen to play the role; I'd love to see how each of you work your character's particular take on the matter into your role-play. How on earth did this Jack Cypher end up being baptised? I'm very much looking forward to finding out.

I won't go into too much of his story here (not to be mysterious, but it's probably more fun if we save the spoilers for later) but the character I'm hoping to play has something of a utilitarian world view: there are a number of things that he's distrustful of (magic being high on the list) but is very much intrigued by things which demonstrate clever design, or are of particular practical utility. Most if not all of the academic traditions would cause a conflict of interest for the character, but based on what you've said, I think I now know which of the four he should opt for - thankyou for your advice!

I've emailed MaryBeth with a history and the other supporting material. Here's hoping that she says yes; it'd be rather a shame to only be able to use my native accent OOG. :lol:

- A. C. Goggins
Quartermaster

The following user(s) said Thank You: Casandra (Casandra)
  • Aemorniel
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
03 Dec 2012 09:58 #7 by Aemorniel (Aemorniel)
...native accent? If it's what I think you're hinting at, prepare to be tackle hugged by me. haha.

~~~~~~~~~
OOG--JJ G.

• Goggs
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
03 Dec 2012 18:44 #8 by Goggs (coryan)
Hah, you'll have to catch me first! :lol:

- A. C. Goggins
Quartermaster

• Jack
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Pi is exactly 3
  • Thank Yous: 308
07 Dec 2012 14:26 #9 by Jack (Keeperofdice)
Replied by Jack (Keeperofdice) on topic Books & other such paperweights
I somehow missed my name being plastered all over this thread. :-P Yes I'm weird. But it's was strange and wonderful journey. Perhaps you'll find me in game and recount the tale.

From personal experience I'd say that scholar is one of the hardest and most rewarding Roleplay wise for a londwyn to play. I fought myself every step of the way on what to learn and why, since much of the list is "supernatural" from a Londwyn perspective. If you throw yourself into it though, you'll be incredibly surprised where you are taken.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me anytime. Always happy to help. Besides, it's almost time for the Celt vs. Londwyn Rugby to start up! You hear that Billium? :D

Ser Jack Siefer
Knight Of Drega'Mire
Head of Research & Development of Kormyre
Sky Marshal
Captain of the K.A.S. Tarrasque

OOG: Gus M.

“Men learn from their failures. I prefer to learn from the failures of others..”
"Sometimes what the world doesn't need is a hero. Sometimes what it needs is a monster."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ming Na (Ming Na), Caelvan (Caelvan)
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.489 seconds