Greetings from a new player! Maria/Mordrog

15 Apr 2013 17:48 - 18 Jul 2014 16:01 #1 by Mordra GraLucia (Mordra)
Greetings from a new player! Maria/Mordrog was created by Mordra GraLucia (Mordra)
Greetings to all!

I’m very excited for the chance to come and LARP and meet you all! I was recommended to Knight Realms by Garrett. My name is Maria and I’ll be coming up from Baltimore for the May event as a first time player. I’ve done weekend LARP events at conventions before but I was always picking a character from a pool and was never in an epic fantasy setting. I’m also new to this system of combat as all my past events have been dice rolling or RPS. I’m thinking of sitting out of the combat for a little bit till I get my character more grounded but I’m looking forward to learning to use the bow and arrow as I have some experience with it.

The one thing I’m not at all experienced with is camping or any sort of outdoors bond with nature. I was trying to find some more information on sleeping conditions, such as should I bring my own sleeping bag/food/cooler. I also don’t know if I need to rent out an area personally or as long as I’m registered with the event I should have a floor to sleep on. I also saw that showers were limited to the main house. I’m a city slicker that has no problem getting dirty… as long as I can shower off later!

I’m still working out my character and costume. Do people have any recommendations for types of fabrics for comfort as well as movement? I’m planning to make a simple cape (of course! What’s the point if I can’t wear a cape!) and some light trousers and shirt. If I get ambitious I might make a leather chest piece with armor and some character detail.

I also saw that there is a 9am New players training in the Barn. Is that each day of the weekend or only on Friday? I was thinking of skipping out of Friday normally because of work but I would gladly take a day off for my first event weekend. I’ll make a vacation out of it!

My character so far:
Name: Mordrog (no last name yet, still working on it)
Human: Kormyrian
Religion: I’m struggling a bit more with this. I enjoy playing corrupt religious characters without being specifically evil. More like, the intentions of the religion are good, but my interpretations of them are bad. For this reason I’m thinking of being a strict worshiper (possibly priestess/nun/clergy/whichever term is appropriate) of Galladel. Mordrog wants all souls to go before Galladel for their final judgment. She cares not if your deeds in life are good, bad, pure, or corrupt. It is Mordrog’s task, as a vassal of Galladel to make sure that death is absolute, and all souls find their way to Galladel at the Grand Nexus.

Thanks for hanging in there so far! If you have any feedback for me, especially lore help for my character, I’d love to hear from you. I’m still struggling with setting up my character stats but I’m pretty close to presenting my character for review as far as skills goes.
I hope to meet you all in May!

Sincerely,
Maria
Baltimore, Maryland

Mordra GraLucia
Chancellor of Alisandria
Champion of Enax
Last edit: 18 Jul 2014 16:01 by Mordra GraLucia (Mordra).
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
15 Apr 2013 18:05 #2 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic Greetings from a new player! Maria/Mordrog
Hello & welcome Maria. So happy & glad you can join us & I hope the many hour drive from Baltimore will be well worth it. As for advice on clothes, weather & such... please read our New Player section of the website. It's chock full of great stuff & feel free to peruse the New Player section & OOG Forum. We've had many new players introduce themselves (as you have) & they shared many of the same questions you have posted. Those posts should have answers to what you're looking for.

Also, any friend of Garrett is a most welcome person to the game.

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
  • Annora
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • SKRAW!
  • Thank Yous: 316
15 Apr 2013 20:50 #3 by Annora (Karen)
Replied by Annora (Karen) on topic Greetings from a new player! Maria/Mordrog
Hi Maria, welcome. So glad you're able to join us.

New player training is only on the Friday of a weekend event, so you'll probably want to be there for that. It's at 9pm, lol, not am. A lot of people come to camp for the weekend after they get out of work in the afternoon...but with your drive I don't know how feasible that is.

The New Player section has a lot of great information about preparation and whatnot.
If you're interested in LARP archery, I recommend looking at the specific archery rules in the rulebook and to the left. There are only certain arrows and types of bows permitted at game.
Sleeping space, except for specific cabins and rooms reserved for IG lands, is generally on a first-come, first-served basis. Get there, grab a cot, and you should be fine.
As for food...everyone is provided the Saturday evening feast meal. There is generally food around at various times of day that you can purchase for IG money. It's generally a good idea to bring food with you that you can eat on the go...trail mix, etc. I always have a granola bar at least in my belt pouch for when I'm starving and running around constantly.

And I'll be the first to tell you (and many others will repeat later)...the generally accepted #1 item to bring plenty of: SOCKS. And good ones too, if you have them...ie, thick good hiking socks. And good boots.
I have found that a lot of advice for camping/hiking is also applicable to weekend larping. You will likely be doing a lot of running around in the woods, so be prepared for that.
The weather should be fairly mild, but it will get colder, especially at night. Layers are always a great idea...I'm personally a big fan of layering thermals underneath my costume during colder months. And the weather (namely rain) enjoys having its fun with us sometimes, so being prepared with multiple changes of clothing to have under your costume is not a bad idea.

Sounds like you're putting a lot of work into your character, and we'll hopefully see you in May!

[hr]
OOG: Karen Y
Card Raptor
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
15 Apr 2013 21:08 #4 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic Greetings from a new player! Maria/Mordrog
Hi Maria.
My name's Conor and I'm a new player marshal.

Karen pretty much covered it with the camp sleeping space(we will never say no you don't have a space to sleep if you show up late. You'll just have to ask around on who has space in their cabin, tent etc.), and the new player training.

Any other questions regarding new character creation and such feel free to send me a private message.

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
15 Apr 2013 21:29 - 15 Apr 2013 21:42 #5 by Mordra GraLucia (Mordra)
Replied by Mordra GraLucia (Mordra) on topic Greetings from a new player! Maria/Mordrog
Thank you all for your fast responses and helpful information. The new player's section has been a great help for me and I'll be taking up that offer later of helping with actually specing out my character when the time comes. I've got my camping gear all laid out now!

Katie/Leandra was already kinda enough to help me get set up with a cot in the monastery. And thank you Karen/Annora for the hint about 9...PM!!!

Thank you so much, everyone!

Mordra GraLucia
Chancellor of Alisandria
Champion of Enax
Last edit: 15 Apr 2013 21:42 by Mordra GraLucia (Mordra).
16 Apr 2013 19:22 #6 by Sean Moulson (Moulson13)
Replied by Sean Moulson (Moulson13) on topic Greetings from a new player! Maria/Mordrog
Welcome Maria,
My name is Sean and I am a new player marshall as well. To quickly answer a few questions that you posted:
Yes you would need to bring your own sleeping bag, however you don't need to rent a space. When you show up you can grab a bed somewhere, we can try and help. But you would need your own sleeping bag. There is breakfast for in game gold on Saturday morning and feast Saturday night. Any other food you want you would need to bring your self. We have fridges but space is limited so when you get there you would need to talk to one of our kitchen staff to see where they can get your food stuffs put.
For the showering thing we have 2 showers in the main building, however we try to have everyone stop using the hot water around noon so we can cook feast for everyone. There is also a shower in the Monastery but you need to ask the players in there to use it.
As for training Karen already mentioned that training only happens of Friday night, but if you want someone to talk to you and go over everything you can always find a New Player Marshall to answer any question as well as most people will be able to help you. If you dont make it just let someone know when you checkin and we can figure something out.
If you have any other questions please feel free to message me or post it and we will try and get everything figured out for you.

Anhil Shadesar, Knight of Kaladonia

Storyteller
  • Mirwen Silverbow
  • Shadows and darkness are not to be feared. As with any other tool, it is the will of the wielder that does evil or good.
  • Thank Yous: 85
16 Apr 2013 19:39 #7 by Mirwen Silverbow (Mirwen)
Replied by Mirwen Silverbow (Mirwen) on topic Greetings from a new player! Maria/Mordrog
Hello and welcome!

There isn't much to say that hasn't already been mentioned, but I just wanted to introduce myself: I'm Christine, another New Player Marshal, like Connor and Sean. I'm glad to hear you'll be traveling out to play our game, and I love how in-depth you've already gotten with your character. I didn't have anything that thorough when I came to my first game! I can't wait to meet you in May!

Lady Mirwen Silverbow of Pendarvin
Master of the Mage's Guild
Mage's Guild Scribe

[IMG

Christine B
New Player Marshal
Logistics Marshal
18 Apr 2013 08:22 - 21 Apr 2013 20:16 #8 by Caldor Eirson (Caldor)
Replied by Caldor Eirson (Caldor) on topic Greetings from a new player! Maria/Mordrog
Maria,

My wife and I are also first time players, and we will be staying in the monestary as well. I look forward to rooming with you.

I will be Caldor Eirson, a Barbarian Druid. My wife will be a Dryad Ranger.

EDIT: Duh, you said May event. We went April. Hopefully we will see you in May too.

Caldor Eirson,

Gothi and High Priest of Gaia
Wedding Planner, Match Maker,
Vintner
Spiritual Advisor To Kaladonia

~~~~~~
OOG: Jason M.
Deputy Kitchen Marshal
Land System Marshal

Q: How many people does it take to teach a barbarian how to read?
A: 1 knight, 3 squires, and 1 master of the mages guild.
~~~~~~~
Last edit: 21 Apr 2013 20:16 by Caldor Eirson (Caldor).
24 Apr 2013 17:27 #9 by Mordra GraLucia (Mordra)
Replied by Mordra GraLucia (Mordra) on topic Greetings from a new player! Maria/Mordrog
Its seems the universe had other ideas for me on that week in May….

I really want to thank everyone that has helping me get ready but it looks like I’ll have one more month to prepare myself. It should give me time to secure some more armor and weapons. I especially want to thank all the marshals, crafters and Katie/Leandra in the monastery.

I will see you all at the JUNE event… and I made those responsible for changing my schedule know my displeasure! My wrath shall be known across their lands.

Mordra GraLucia
Chancellor of Alisandria
Champion of Enax
The following user(s) said Thank You: GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
  • Aella
  • Thank Yous: 99
25 Apr 2013 15:00 #10 by Aella (Onirazael)
Replied by Aella (Onirazael) on topic Greetings from a new player! Maria/Mordrog
We can relate we had numerous false starts before actually making it here.

Aella
OOG: Ree D
~I'd put a pretentious quote in, but I am far too lazy to pretend I'm clever. ~
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.510 seconds