Potential New Player with questions

12 May 2013 08:34 #1 by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042)
Potential New Player with questions was created by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042)

dbdgamer wrote: Hey guys, I'm new to the site and LARP in general(but I've been RP'ing for alot of years online). I've been looking for a LARP for awhile initially I was searching for something Star Wars themed but when I couldn't find anything I found you guys instead and I have to admit I am very impressed with your site and already have a few concepts floating around in my head.

Welcome!

1. Do you need a costume to start NPC'ing? I'd really like to get started as soon as possible but for me to make a costume it would probably take a few months, I'm typically very slow when it comes to costuming. I also don't want to make two costumes for an NPC and my PC in order to save on money, I'm just a poor college student.

For NPC duty all you need is to wear mostly black clothing, or plain clothing. Your monster marshal will tell you what costuming to put on when it is time and there is a selection of NPC garb and makeup to put on. So don't worry about an NPC costume, just make sure you have that black clothing to wear under it.

2. How easy is it to pick up on everything? I've read most of the rules, but 300 pages is quite a bit overwhelming the expression comes to mind "Like trying to take a sip of water from a fire hose" Basicly how tolerant of you of noobs who are trying to learn but arent quite there right away?

It is a bit hard to pick up on "Everything" but that basics are easy. This will be covered by the new player marshals, but at any time, if you don't understand anything, put your hand on your head (our symbol for going Out Of Game) and say "Clarify?" and the action will stop near you and someone will explain. I have found KR to be very very tolerant of this. Do NOT worry about it, you'll be fine. (I've been here a year and I still call it from time to time)

3. Do you allow new players at "A Week in the life" or do I have to start an an event? Is there a New Player training at "A week in the life" ?

I will let this one be answered by a marshal.

4. How flexible is coming and going for events? Typically on weekends I'll be there the whole time but during "A Week in the Life" event I have a class I may have to go home for a few hours to be at.

Very flexible. Just make sure you show up for your assigned NPC duty and that your comings and goings don't disrupt other people's game experience.

5. What are the Sleeping accommodations? I know its a 24 hour game but you gotta sleep sometime? Is it cabins? tents? open outdoors?

Cabins and some tents (during the warmer weather times). A New Player Marshal or staff member can help find you a bunk.

6. The commoner profession, is that like a free profession? The rules said you could add 3 additional professions with enough build does the commoner count in that or is it a freebie?

Commoner is free, everyone has access to its list. You first profession is also free, so you can pay for up to 3 beyond that. Thus you could be a Mage / Priest / Warrior / Alchemist and still be buying things off of the commoner list.

Gunnar Gunnarson, Medicine Man
--
OOG: Joe Hines
Former Development Officer
  • Gallion
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank Yous: 2677
12 May 2013 09:19 #2 by Gallion (Gallion)
Replied by Gallion (Gallion) on topic Potential New Player with questions
Welcome!

The week in the life event (At least the first part) is a very different style of event. Its perfectly fine for new players to attend it, though if you do, remember that the experience you have will be very different from a standard event. The second half of the event is normal, but the first half of the event is laid back, with very little NPC activity going on, The whole concept is about the mundane everyday things your character is doing when not questing. It is a good opportunity to just sit and meet with people in-charcter around campfires etc...

Hope to see you! ;)

- James C. Kimball Director, Knight Realms
12 May 2013 11:04 #3 by Ekatarina McKraegar (EkatarinaMcGregar)
Replied by Ekatarina McKraegar (EkatarinaMcGregar) on topic Potential New Player with questions
Welcome!!!

In response to Question 2). I've been at the game for almost 4 years, I am horrible at remembering rules and skills. I still ask "What does that do" or "Is that a higher list defense I need?"

So What ever you do, do not feel bad about asking questions. Everyone is really good at giving you a quick explanation of what skills they just used and what effect it has.

You can always wonder over to Logistics and ask questions.

Templar Ekatarina Esmeralda Kisslinger McKregar, Prophet of the Kindred Oak

Neina Avaren

OOC: Ann A.- Logistics Marshal
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
12 May 2013 12:06 #4 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic Potential New Player with questions
Hey Dan. Name's conor and I'm one of those new player marshals that were mentioned. It seems your questions here were answered but if you have any others or just need help with something in general, seek me out when you come, or send me a messege on the website and ill help you the best I can.

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
  • Narcis
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • "For every living person there are generations of dead. Which realm would you rather rule?"
  • Thank Yous: 450
16 May 2013 21:10 #5 by Narcis (ChrisR)
Replied by Narcis (ChrisR) on topic Potential New Player with questions
Check your private messages.

OOG:Chris R.
Storyteller / Marshal
21 May 2013 03:54 #6 by Sean Moulson (Moulson13)
Replied by Sean Moulson (Moulson13) on topic Potential New Player with questions
Hello,
First welcome my name is Sean and like Connor I am a new player marshal. I think most people answered your questions but I will go again just to reiterate.

1. Do you need a costume to start NPC'ing? I'd really like to get started as soon as possible but for me to make a costume it would probably take a few months, I'm typically very slow when it comes to costuming. I also don't want to make two costumes for an NPC and my PC in order to save on money, I'm just a poor college student.

We provide NPC costumes just need to bring a black shirt and pants.

2. How easy is it to pick up on everything? I've read most of the rules, but 300 pages is quite a bit overwhelming the expression comes to mind "Like trying to take a sip of water from a fire hose" Basicly how tolerant of you of noobs who are trying to learn but arent quite there right away?

The "noob" question is fair and I think if you ask anyone who is newer to the game that you will find everyone quite welcoming and eager to answer your questions.Try and learn the rules that pertain to you. I'm an archer and if you asked me the magic rules, after a year and a bit, I still couldn't give you all the details. So know your stuff and everyone will explain their stuff to you, sometimes more they you want to know ;)

3. Do you allow new players at "A Week in the life" or do I have to start an an event? Is there a New Player training at "A week in the life" ?

Yes you are welcome to come to any game. A week in the life is a great time as you will get submerged into the game and you get more time to meet people.

4. How flexible is coming and going for events? Typically on weekends I'll be there the whole time but during "A Week in the Life" event I have a class I may have to go home for a few hours to be at.

Thats fine, I would just warn you if you wear any makeup or ears your class may look at you silly.

5. What are the Sleeping accommodations? I know its a 24 hour game but you gotta sleep sometime? Is it cabins? tents? open outdoors?

Yes to all of the above. We have cabins, tents, and a few people just throw a sleeping bag out and sleep under the stars

6. The commoner profession, is that like a free profession? The rules said you could add 3 additional professions with enough build does the commoner count in that or is it a freebie?

The commoner list lets you buy things off of it for the cost. So essentially it is a "free list"

Hope this helps. If you do have any more questions let me or anyone else know and we will do our best to help you out.

Anhil Shadesar, Knight of Kaladonia

Storyteller
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.505 seconds