Bad at Introductions - Jamie / Avalyn Ode

10 Jul 2013 00:14 - 10 Jul 2013 00:19 #1 by Avalyn Ode (krazyaznxinluv)
Bad at Introductions - Jamie / Avalyn Ode was created by Avalyn Ode (krazyaznxinluv)
So, as it says above-- I stink at introductions. Let's get this out of the way, I'm a noob at LARPing (noob at KR, and noob at all of this). But I've never felt as welcome as I had my first time at Knight Realms in April 2013. So to you all, first thing I need to say is simply: "thank you".

I've recommended KR to all my friends, especially the ones who are nervous about going. I'd coax them by saying that I was terrified at a point, but it got better just diving in. If you haven't met me yet-- I'm social to a degree. Less so, when I'm nervous. So, being there at KR really did a number on everything I'd ever understood about LARPing, going outside, or well-- just simply talking or opening up to people. It reminded me of what it's like immersing oneself into a new system, like when I first experienced college away from my hometown and just living alone. I loved it. And I suppose I'm late in the game registering to this forum now, but I figured it would be a good idea to get to know people on here. Also, so that I can get my questions answered without directly asking officials :whistle: . (I'm kidding, for those of you who can't read sarcasm through text... and/or smileys :dry: )

//clears throat

Seriously though, I suppose-- my biggest fear is that I as a person, not simply just as Avalyn Ode, but as Jamie, that I will be forgotten among the many because of one missed event. It's pathetic, but it's the yearning for reassurance that I will keep being social, relaxed and anxiety-free, instead of becoming this inward, passive-aggressive player. And I hate getting so personal, seeing as this is my first topic, but hey, I'm bad at introductions (remember?). I think everyone has a fear of being forgotten or lost, or not making their mark on the world before leaving it. That's how I see Avalyn as, or well, my character. She's fresh off the boat (and I'm not being racist, seeing as I'm Asian) and OOG I guess I worry she won't make a name for herself or be as brave as I wanted her to be, because of my own personal anxieties. But I'm getting over them, slowly-- yet surely.

I wonder how many of you feel about integrating the self with the IG self? Do you enjoy testing yourself? For example, being afraid of the darkness, yet deliberately making your IG character enjoy it. Ha, the philosophy of LARPing.

Anyway, I've lost track of what I was trying to talk about originally. Which was: "Hi, I'm Jamie. Look out for me, I'm a 5'3, Chinese female, who walks around looking like Toph from Avatar: The Last Airbender" (no joke, there's a photo of me in the April 2013 album as proof.)

It's nice to meet you all, and I want to say (again)-- thanks for being so awesome towards new players, it's an honor to be part of Knight Realms. :blush:

"Ode? I don't owed you anything! RIGHT? HAHA." - Blade

"Miss Ode, you're one for mind shooting and what not. Would you by chance be interested in a Magic Trick contest?" - Goggins
----
OOG: Jamie J
Last edit: 10 Jul 2013 00:19 by Avalyn Ode (krazyaznxinluv).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gallion (Gallion), Shiver (Shiver), Casandra (Casandra)
10 Jul 2013 08:04 - 10 Jul 2013 08:05 #2 by Caldor Eirson (Caldor)
Replied by Caldor Eirson (Caldor) on topic Bad at Introductions - Jamie / Avalyn Ode

Jamie J wrote: Seriously though, I suppose-- my biggest fear is that I as a person, not simply just as Avalyn Ode, but as Jamie, that I will be forgotten among the many because of one missed event. :

Quite the opposite. Missing an event resulted in discussions of whether you were going to be there, both in game and out. We were sad you weren't there, both during our parties and during some particularly nasty fights.

Hope you'll be back soon!

Oh yeah, and you should have them put the picture of you at the April event up as your avatar.

Caldor Eirson,

Gothi and High Priest of Gaia
Wedding Planner, Match Maker,
Vintner
Spiritual Advisor To Kaladonia

~~~~~~
OOG: Jason M.
Deputy Kitchen Marshal
Land System Marshal

Q: How many people does it take to teach a barbarian how to read?
A: 1 knight, 3 squires, and 1 master of the mages guild.
~~~~~~~
Last edit: 10 Jul 2013 08:05 by Caldor Eirson (Caldor). Reason: Forgot to mention Avatar
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalyn Ode (krazyaznxinluv)
  • Jack
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Pi is exactly 3
  • Thank Yous: 308
10 Jul 2013 11:03 #3 by Jack (Keeperofdice)
Replied by Jack (Keeperofdice) on topic Bad at Introductions - Jamie / Avalyn Ode

Jamie J wrote: I wonder how many of you feel about integrating the self with the IG self? Do you enjoy testing yourself? For example, being afraid of the darkness, yet deliberately making your IG character enjoy it. Ha, the philosophy of LARPing.

I am horrendously afraid of water. Two events ago I ran into the lake and fought in it. Yes. I enjoyed it a lot. :D

Ser Jack Siefer
Knight Of Drega'Mire
Head of Research & Development of Kormyre
Sky Marshal
Captain of the K.A.S. Tarrasque

OOG: Gus M.

“Men learn from their failures. I prefer to learn from the failures of others..”
"Sometimes what the world doesn't need is a hero. Sometimes what it needs is a monster."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Croínamara (Jen)
10 Jul 2013 13:01 #4 by Piggy Punch (Wyen Nightfrost)
Replied by Piggy Punch (Wyen Nightfrost) on topic Bad at Introductions - Jamie / Avalyn Ode
Jamie, you can only be forgotten if no one remembers and I am happy to say that many of us still remember who you are. :cool:

Baht A'tal Damien Mograinne
Champion of Galmachis

OOG Josh LaBar
  • Augustus
  • Thank Yous: 56
10 Jul 2013 14:37 #5 by Augustus (OEBlaze)
Replied by Augustus (OEBlaze) on topic Re:Bad at Introductions - Jamie / Avalyn Ode
Hello, I'm Justin, I'm a New Player Marshall who's bad with names and worse with putting them to faces. If there's anything you need, feel free to send me or any of the other new player Marshall's a PM.

April 2012 was my first event ever. I had never been LARPing before, and just started playing Tabletop games. I was so scared when I first got there, but after my second mod, I knew I was coming back.

As for the whole IG OOG self thing: I like sleep. Very much. Justin knew that becoming a Witch Hunter and guardsman was a bad idea for my sleep schedule. However, I also like to make my characters suffer. Because of this, I'll put them into situations that I think will yield interesting RP. Sometimes it's as simple as overreacting to what a Grumblegut says after Main Mod, and it leads to worlds of trouble for Augustus, and loads if fun for me.

I think the reason I LARP is to take a break from reality and my own mind.

I'm glad you enjoyed your first event, and I look forward to seeing you in the future.

John Smith
[hr][hr]Augustus Waters
Private in the Baronial Guard

[hr]OOG: Justin E. Torres
New Player Marshal
[hr]
10 Jul 2013 16:14 #6 by Appollonius Petrichor (Libraryguy)
Replied by Appollonius Petrichor (Libraryguy) on topic Bad at Introductions - Jamie / Avalyn Ode
Hi there!!

I really love the "Do you incorporate aspects of your own personality into your character's persona" discussion.

I feel like this is one of my weaknesses. I usually wind up making characters that are just "ME", only moreso. When I first made my character Ambrosius, I created him as a bard so that I'd be forced to actually play an instrument. But then I very easily slipped into my usual "Craig" personality, and kept leaving my guitar back in the tent. So I used my free character "re-roll" to re-make the same character as a Ranger. (Same name, Same personality, Same player, Different profession) Ranger suits me much better because ... I like to play in the woods. I'm still a Satyr, so I'm still flirty, and drink a lot, and sing to myself, but now I don't have to make myself compete with all of the other amazing musicians in KR.

I promise myself that when I eventually create an alternate character, that it will be the OPPOSITE of myself. I'm thinking someone cruel, and selfish, and wicked, and possibly Dark-Elvey. But we'll see. I only hope that I won't start to slip into "Craig-ness" with a character like that, and wind up with a friendly hard-drinking Dark Elf Ranger that likes to flirt. [sigh]

But one of these days, I will play my polar opposite. But as for my current character, I just love him too much to give up! :D

Ambrosius Petrichor
Vassal of Alisandria

OOG: Craig Anderson (purple-haired librarian guy)
12 Jul 2013 00:01 #7 by Avalyn Ode (krazyaznxinluv)
Replied by Avalyn Ode (krazyaznxinluv) on topic Bad at Introductions - Jamie / Avalyn Ode
First of all, thanks for the plentiful amount of replies. I was concerned with the length of my introduction being a complete turn-off.

"SHE HAS A TOO MUCH TO SAY." lol

Uhm, but thanks for the support and as I mentioned previously I am very intrigued with the idea of what I call "extreme acting". I've seen people at my first event-- cry (for REAL) and yell or scream with anguish or sing with the utmost sadness. I don't think it's really acting at this point, it's a genuine emotion and it makes me curious how far into character one can go. I was surprised how I myself, fell into character when that was all I worried about. But once I got home, I was just so shocked at how many people I had spoken with or how many people I fought with. I was surprised I could understand Avalyn who I thought at first was this out-of-body creation. It's as though her thoughts have become a part of mine.

Anyway, I love the ideas from this topic. I wish to hear more if anyone else wishes to contribute or at least make me feel less alone in my fear of socializing. Thanks those of you again for sharing. :)

"Miss Ode, you're one for mind shooting and what not. Would you by chance be interested in a Magic Trick contest?" - Goggins
----
  • Aemorniel
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • In Truth, all things are Bound.
  • Thank Yous: 108
12 Jul 2013 12:28 #8 by Aemorniel (Aemorniel)
Replied by Aemorniel (Aemorniel) on topic Bad at Introductions - Jamie / Avalyn Ode

Jamie J wrote: I wonder how many of you feel about integrating the self with the IG self? Do you enjoy testing yourself? For example, being afraid of the darkness, yet deliberately making your IG character enjoy it. Ha, the philosophy of LARPing.:

Hi Jamie! I'm JJ. I play the character Aemorniel Silverbow. I've been playing the game for close to two years now and a lot of the anxieties you have are ones almost everyone has when they start off at a new place, whether it be a larp, at a new job, or simply with new friends. Everything takes time. Believe me when I say what you put into this game, you will get out of it. If you put all your heart into a character and really keep working at it, people will take notice.

Speaking of characters, using your quote above, I find there is a lot of yourself in any character you create. Each is a facet of you whether or not you realize it. It can get pretty cathartic when you have moments of RP that hit home not just for your PC but for you too. Even then, making a character EXACTLY like you can leave out some of the fun of being another person for a while (it's why we all escape into the woods to play make believe with beanbags and fake weapons right?) If you take my PC for example, she is a scholar. That just so happens to work well for me because of my natural love of books, researching, and finding answers. On the other hand, my PC also is completely non-combative--very different from myself. I'm trained in multiple sword forms, certified in many fighting styles, and have been doing that for over 8 years. I made the conscious choice to NOT pick up a weapon as my PC because I felt that would be too easy for me. It also went along with my backstory and RP followed. It makes me happy to have my PC be an RP heavy role and get involved with politics but that's me. Do what makes you happy and comfortable lovebug because I promise you--you won't regret it.

Loremaster Aemorniel Estelwen Silverbow
The Quill of the Witch Hunter Academy of Travance
Apprentice to the Baronial Small Council
Court Scholar of Pendarvin
Assistant Editor and Columnist of The Travance Chronicle

While Others Succumb, We Overcome
~~~~~~~~~
OOG--JJ G.

The past cannot be changed, forgotten, edited, or erased. It can only be accepted.
  • Aella
  • Thank Yous: 99
12 Jul 2013 19:41 #9 by Aella (Onirazael)
Replied by Aella (Onirazael) on topic Bad at Introductions - Jamie / Avalyn Ode
Character integration...

As for me I like being something different. I may have tiny aspects that are very me, I love playing something completely different. It is one of the reasons I love roleplaying, there is a fun challenge to playing something different. I am no where near as nice or naive as Aella, but creating her and playing her with her quirks and her own issues is fun. I enjoy tabletop for that reason as well. I can play males, people with truly twisted beliefs that are quite the contrary to my own, people that are drunks (I don't drink), people that are just so very different than I am.. characters that are social.. Making a character that can challenge you and force you to go out of the comfort zone can be scary at first, but very, very liberating.

If you are new, I would suggest taking things one step at a time. You will get your own rhythm and understand your character more as you play. ;)

Aella
OOG: Ree D
~I'd put a pretentious quote in, but I am far too lazy to pretend I'm clever. ~
12 Jul 2013 19:53 #10 by Appollonius Petrichor (Libraryguy)
Replied by Appollonius Petrichor (Libraryguy) on topic Bad at Introductions - Jamie / Avalyn Ode
Hi there!

All this talk about playing characters that are the OPPOSITE of yourself is making me wonder about playing one of the Goblinoid races as my alt. I wonder if I could pull off a big, dumb fighter. (and yes, I know that the goblinoids are necessarily "dumb", in this world, but that's the archetype that I'd like to play)

As a side note: in the rulebook, it says that orcs and hobgoblins wear "prosthetic fangs". Are they like the traditional "vampire" fangs, or more like underbite "tusks"?

I know I'm getting off topic, but I keep thinking of ideas for alts. :oops: I promise to make a new topic for my next line of thought.

Ambrosius Petrichor
Vassal of Alisandria

OOG: Craig Anderson (purple-haired librarian guy)
  • Aella
  • Thank Yous: 99
12 Jul 2013 22:37 #11 by Aella (Onirazael)
Replied by Aella (Onirazael) on topic Bad at Introductions - Jamie / Avalyn Ode
I think one of the hardest roleplaying challenges I ever did was playing a feral person that could not communicate with anyone. It took me months to learn a spoken language on role. It was tough...but interesting. I bet you would be a kick butt orc or hobgoblin. :D

Aella
OOG: Ree D
~I'd put a pretentious quote in, but I am far too lazy to pretend I'm clever. ~
  • Gallion
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank Yous: 2677
13 Jul 2013 04:54 #12 by Gallion (Gallion)
Replied by Gallion (Gallion) on topic Bad at Introductions - Jamie / Avalyn Ode
Cant wait to see you back soon Jamie!!!!

Craig, shoot me a PM or FBM and ill answer your race questions ;)

- James C. Kimball Director, Knight Realms
14 Jul 2013 23:35 #13 by Avalyn Ode (krazyaznxinluv)
Replied by Avalyn Ode (krazyaznxinluv) on topic Bad at Introductions - Jamie / Avalyn Ode
Thanks James :) and I can't wait to see you again Ree. It feels like forever since I last saw you. I really appreciate the advice, and also the ideas.

On that note, I feel a bit inspired to continue going out of my comfort zone. Hopefully, I can be as courageous as Avalyn. Also, learning a whole language to use in an RP is SO AMAZING. I wish I could do that, I mean I played a Drow in D&D once and had to memorize a few phrases/words, but to speak solely in drow would be insane. I know Gus has the drow language pretty down pat, but I-- yeah... nope.

AND nice to meet you too JJ! I don't think I remember seeing you around my last event in May but it might just be my awful memory. I hope to see you on the battlefield ;)

----
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.572 seconds