Potential new player!

• Kett
  • Thank Yous: 0
04 Nov 2013 19:52 #1 by Kett (Kett)
Potential new player! was created by Kett (Kett)
Hey, folks!

A few years back I was considering throwing in my lot with you folks and giving LARPing a try; I've been table topping since I could hold a dice and despite dabbling in just about every form of geekdom possible, I never tried my hand at this. I'm curious, though - how active is the community? How many people tend to show up for these events? Not that it's going to factor into my decision to give it a go, but I am curious. I'd be coming from Virginia, so it'd be nice to know there would be more than just me and five other guys running around whackin' each other with padded sticks!

I've also always enjoyed playing the more morally ambiguous types of characters. Neither evil nor good, per se, just... flexible. I know there are obvious ramifications for messing with the wrong people, but how viable is it to play a character that isn't wholly wonderfully good? After looking at some of the spell lists and skills (particularly the Psion), it seems like it would be easy to abuse powers that force characters to declare their alignment and intentions.

Also, I'm curious about the warrior monk class; as an avid practitioner and appreciator of various martial arts, I was thinking of giving this one a go. I'm a little confused as to how practical those 'baton fists' are, though. How do you guys tote those things around? Isn't it just like fighting with little swords rather than actual fists? Wouldn't that put you at a severe disadvantage in just about every melee confrontation?

Anyway, I'm happy to be here (again... I think I posted twice a few years back), and I hope I get a chance to jump into the fray with you guys.
  • Onca
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 202
04 Nov 2013 20:28 - 04 Nov 2013 20:36 #2 by Onca (Lorelai)
Replied by Onca (Lorelai) on topic Re:Re: Potential new player!
Hey, welcome!

Our community is very active, with monthly games (even in winter) and between-game activities ranging from posts to private messages and festivals..there is even our yearly masquerade ball this weekend. In winter our attendees range around 80-110, in summer it can get up toward 150+

I'm Rachel, one of the new player marshals. there are a bunch of us here to get you started and answer questions. Feel free to message me or simply ask additional things on here.

Let me try to answer a couple of things to start you off!
There are plenty of characters who are neither good nor evil, and the only time I really see that grey area less is during big main mod battles (the giant weekend battle for furthering the whole of the storyline - usually saturday night). Often people are interested in protecting the town and/or the world and are more friendly/helpful during that. There are, however, characters that will rob your bloodied body and then heal you and walk away in the chaos. You get to be what you want, but there are, of course, ramifications for being found out if you are outright evil.

As for fists, they are much like swords. Our swords are side hits only, no thrusting like a punch, so same goes for 'fists'. Usually these are about dagger size (maybe a bit shorter or longer) and must be in white or flesh-colored tape, so it is obvious that it isn't a sword or dagger. They are very effective, but the fighting style won't be like something in a dojo. I suggest you come to game early sometime and ask for demonstrations, or we can find someone who uses boffer fists to try to answer more specific questions.

Hope to see you at game :)

~ Lorelai Sihnon VonRitter
Huntress of Galladel
Head of House VonRitter of the Witch Hunter Academy

OOG:
Rachel Jump/Onca
(New Player Marshal)
Last edit: 04 Nov 2013 20:36 by Onca (Lorelai).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sean Moulson (Moulson13)
  • Terzak
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Tell me, thief, do you know anything about MAGIC?
  • Thank Yous: 154
04 Nov 2013 21:41 #3 by Terzak (TheArchMage)
Replied by Terzak (TheArchMage) on topic Potential new player!
Hi, I'm Will, the mage with the arm (Long, long story behind that 3rd severed arm.) and I am hear to say that there were at least 50-75 people last time I was there, and there will probably be more due to this one hell of a storyline. A trick for "impartial" characters is to pick specific classes and skills that wouldn't be considered outright evil or good, (like Gambler, Archer, Psion, Swashbuckler, etc. Mages could be impartial but it would be complicated if you knew something like Necromancy.) and try to not act or dress good or evil either. It's not hard to look evil if you accidentally walk around in a black cloak all the time and use an ominous, creepy voice.

By my hand,
Professor Terzak Winstonshire

OOG: Will Harrington
  • Grimkjell Eirson
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "You! Small man! Hold my furs while I kill this."
  • Thank Yous: 500
04 Nov 2013 23:33 #4 by Grimkjell Eirson (BillHannings)
Replied by Grimkjell Eirson (BillHannings) on topic Potential new player!
Honestly you'd be surprised at how rarely people take you for "evil" even if you wear a face mask made of the flesh of your foes. Then again most people just assume you're a tough guy. It's all about how you carry yourself really, that and not wearing holy symbols of dark gods or something.

IG: Sir Grimkjell Eirson
Knight of Pendarvin
Guardian of Mercy

OOG: William Hannings
Land system Marshal
  • Croínamara
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Sock Marshal
  • Thank Yous: 467
05 Nov 2013 00:27 #5 by Croínamara (Jen)
Replied by Croínamara (Jen) on topic Potential new player!
Welp, I think these posts seem to answer all of your questions.
Come frolic in the woods with us and hit stuff with fake swords! :D

Croínamara Ull Uidhir of Clan Uidhir
Squire to Knight Captain Magnus
Chancellor of the Arts
Sergeant of the Baronial Guard

OOG:
Jen F.
Roleplay Marshal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Terzak (TheArchMage)
  • Imrahil
  • I hear, and I forget; I see, and I remember; I do, and I understand.
  • Thank Yous: 216
05 Nov 2013 01:06 #6 by Imrahil (Brendan Barrett)
Replied by Imrahil (Brendan Barrett) on topic Potential new player!
From the perspective of another Oog martial arts practitioner who went warrior monk: if you are familiar with paired short weapons (kama, jitte, butterfly swords, etc.) it should fit like a glove.

Quick heads up though, get iron palm. A bit of a pain to take damage on blocked shots...

Imrahil

-Lieutenant of the Baronial Guard

(Amos Oberjonois - Trapper and Spirit Speaker)

OOG - Brendan Barrett
Kitchen marshal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Onca (Lorelai)
05 Nov 2013 09:10 #7 by Sean Moulson (Moulson13)
Replied by Sean Moulson (Moulson13) on topic Potential new player!
Hey just wanted to say hi and my name is Sean and I, like Rachel, am a new player marshall. Your questions seemed to be answered but if you have more let us know.

Anhil Shadesar, Knight of Kaladonia

Storyteller
  • Kett
06 Nov 2013 19:21 #8 by Kett (Kett)
Replied by Kett (Kett) on topic Potential new player!
Thanks for the warm welcome, folks! I'm going to try my best to make it up to the December event. It's a little bit of a hike from VA, but I'm gonna give it a whirl if I can!

In regards to my fellow OOG martial artist - that's good to know. I figured the 'short sword' style would be similar to a kama or perhaps even sais (sans the 'piercing'), and from an artistic point of view it would be interesting to try and weave that into a new combat style. I'm used to knives, which is a touch different. And the first thing I noticed when reading up on the hand to hand combat was Iron Palm would be the first skill I picked up; taking damage each time I blocked seems a touch 'you gonna die'.

I do have another question, since everyone seems so helpful and willing to oblige a newbie - how many newbies are there? There are so many skills, spells and talents available that I feel like combat would be a whirl of, "What the hell is going on?!" Am I going to be the only new kid running around wondering if that spell packet was a lightning bolt or a magic missile?
  • Terzak
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Tell me, thief, do you know anything about MAGIC?
  • Thank Yous: 154
06 Nov 2013 21:13 #9 by Terzak (TheArchMage)
Replied by Terzak (TheArchMage) on topic Potential new player!
Trust me, you are not the only newb here. I've seen a few people who've joined in the past few months. I joined up this July and only made it to one other event. If you were being literal about the lightning bolt or magic missile, if someone isn't blatantly loud and clear about what spell they cast, you can call it. If you hear the incantation OOG, IG you can notice it, you just don't know what it means. OOG you can't mutter the incant then yell the spell. I might be the only person who does but I think people should yell effects of an unknown spell.

By my hand,
Professor Terzak Winstonshire

OOG: Will Harrington
07 Nov 2013 17:19 #10 by Sean Moulson (Moulson13)
Replied by Sean Moulson (Moulson13) on topic Potential new player!
We get around 3-5 new players an event (give or take). And even people who have been playing for more then a year (like myself) still don't know all the skills. We have a great thing call "Clarify". If you call it someone must explain what the ability does and you go accordingly. Its a great thing we have and I use it every game.

Anhil Shadesar, Knight of Kaladonia

Storyteller
  • Kett
07 Nov 2013 20:29 #11 by Kett (Kett)
That's good to know! I plan on making it up there this coming December event, but I think I'm going to NPC the first time around just so I can get a feel for the place. I know the general gyst is "Bring dark clothing," but should I bring anything else if I'm planning to NPC an event (sans the typical essentials like food, water, etc.)?
  • Goggs
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 226
07 Nov 2013 21:30 - 07 Nov 2013 21:35 #12 by Goggs (coryan)
Replied by Goggs (coryan) on topic Potential new player!
Hi there!

A couple of things that'll make you glad you brought them with you:
  • Socks.
  • Warm IG gloves - if these are water-resistant and have good grip in the palm, you'll be much more comfortable, and less likely to accidentally fumble your boffer.
  • More socks.
  • Simple white headband.
  • Snacks (cereal bars are a godsend when it's 6am and you've just spent the last four hours being repeatedly thrown into the snow.)
  • Probably ought to bring a few more socks too.
  • Waterproof boots.
  • Don't forget to pack extra socks.
  • Black hat/headwrap to keep your ears/noggin warm.
  • Some folks like to bring little packets of iron oxide powder .
  • Socks.
  • Socks.

Socks.

- A. C. Goggins
Quartermaster

OOG: Cory W-S
"If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a Maul."
Last edit: 07 Nov 2013 21:35 by Goggs (coryan).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Meander Correlis (SarahBrand)
07 Nov 2013 21:52 #13 by Kanas Whisperwood Silverfang (midgetelf)
Replied by Kanas Whisperwood Silverfang (midgetelf) on topic Potential new player!
Is there supposed to be snow? Oh yeah Hi, I'm Jeremy. Can't wait to RP with you/face you in glorious combat! As an NPC you will be thrown into the environment of the game so you will get a good understanding by the end of your first event.

Kanas Silverfang

OOG: Jeremy Schwartz
  • Kett
13 Nov 2013 18:28 #14 by Kett (Kett)
So it sounds like I need... socks. I'm an English born southern boy, though I've done plenty of backpacking in different countries with pretty cold weather. Does it get pretty brutal up there in the winter? Also, do I need to bring anything else if I intend to NPC the entire weekend? Props, weapons, costumes, etc?
13 Nov 2013 18:36 #15 by Meander Correlis (SarahBrand)
Replied by Meander Correlis (SarahBrand) on topic Potential new player!
There are bits of costume pieces in Logistics for NPC's, so bring black clothing to wear under it, and you might want multiple changes if you're doing it the whole weekend. Something with pockets (or if you have a pouch) is always useful.

Oh! Water bottle. There's a water cooler in Logistics, but they sometimes run out of cups. Hydration is key. ;)

~Meander Correlis, Master Alchemist
Baronial Ambassador to Londwyn
Champion of Homunculi City

(OOG: Sarah Brand)
  • JTinney
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Lad... Never hit if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting.... But if ye have to hit, never hit soft
  • Thank Yous: 537
13 Nov 2013 19:32 #16 by JTinney (Swordsaint)
Replied by JTinney (Swordsaint) on topic Potential new player!

Kett wrote: So it sounds like I need... socks. I'm an English born southern boy, though I've done plenty of backpacking in different countries with pretty cold weather. Does it get pretty brutal up there in the winter? Also, do I need to bring anything else if I intend to NPC the entire weekend? Props, weapons, costumes, etc?

Heh....

Goggin's list is very accurate/appropriate but I am gonna tack on a few more things...

Long sleeve shirt- Useful for layering and you are going to want to protect your arms somewhat from the cold and the wind. The mountainous areas of NJ can get fairly chill at night and if there is a wind, doubly so (or so it seems). If you have some light thermals to wear underneath, I recommend them.

Semi-loose fit clothes is also a good idea. It will let your body "breathe" some and is excellent for layering. Tight clothes, despite the Ads in magazines, are generally a bad idea if one is not used to cold (hell, I think they are a bad idea period in the cold!)- the space between skin and your clothes can act as a limited thermal layer and it is possible to get colder faster without it. It ain't everyone this happens to but I've seen it before so I am gonna say something. :)

Scarves are also good and can add a bit of flair to your NPC is non-monster. And if its cold, your neck will thank you. :)

The only other advice I can offer you is be aware of your limits.... If you start the "Shiver Dance", its time to get out of the cold and get warm. Hypothermia threat is real up there now (unless we get Indian Summer/Chinook weather at the event- not likely but hell has been slipping lately with snow-balls being tossed around regularly down there) so please be aware of yourself as you are out there playing.

I much rather meet you on the trail in a fight/encounter or in Logistics for NPC shift than as a patient. :)

Father Duncan MacKenzie

Templar-High Priest of Brazen
Chaplain, Bloodspirits Mercenary Company

Janos Beecham (alt)
Dragoon of No Importance

John Tinney
Safety Marshal/ EMT
13 Nov 2013 19:58 #17 by Kanas Whisperwood Silverfang (midgetelf)
Replied by Kanas Whisperwood Silverfang (midgetelf) on topic Potential new player!
I personally recommend snacks. There is a lot of food in game, but it is always safe to have something to eat, especially if your character or you has specific dietary needs.

Kanas Silverfang

OOG: Jeremy Schwartz
  • Goggs
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 226
13 Nov 2013 20:44 - 13 Nov 2013 21:26 #18 by Goggs (coryan)
Replied by Goggs (coryan) on topic Potential new player!
You're English?? Hoorah! Doubly looking forward to meeting you - please come say hello!

(I look like the guy in the photo to the left.)

- A. C. Goggins
Quartermaster

OOG: Cory W-S
"If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a Maul."
Last edit: 13 Nov 2013 21:26 by Goggs (coryan).
18 Nov 2013 11:49 #19 by Thalia Burdorn (abbyl)
Replied by Thalia Burdorn (abbyl) on topic Potential new player!
Hey! Welcome!

It's always really awesome getting new people!!! Hope to see you in there!

Thalia Stonebar Burdorn
Consul of Kaladonia
Warden of the Phocus
Ambassador to Calasvorin
Manager, Dragon's Claw Inn;

OOG: Abby Leib
  • Kett
18 Nov 2013 15:58 #20 by Kett (Kett)
Awesome - thanks for the tips, everyone. Provided I can get off work in time to make the trip I'll definitely be there for the December event.

And don't get your hopes too high about the English thing - I pick up (and lose) accents really quickly, so my British accent sounds more Australian now when I use it, which is rarely. I'm a half breed, and the American in me is much stronger while I'm in the States. ;) I do look forward to meeting all of you in game, though (and preferably NOT as a patient).
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.645 seconds