New to LARPing and RPing

• jquest716
  • Thank Yous: 12
16 Feb 2014 01:48 #1 by jquest716 (jquest716)
New to LARPing and RPing was created by jquest716 (jquest716)
Hi and Good Day;

Hi my name is Jared and I have become interested in LARPing after meeting a few awesome people at Comic-Con. I live in NY more specifically Queens near St. John's university and after Google-ing some stuff I happened onto you guys. I am totally new to all of this and I have no idea what I am doing, I downloaded the rule book and looked it over, now I figured I would reach out to everyone and hopefully come down to an event. Thankyou all for your time and any information you can give.

Be well and peace,
Jared

Be Well and Peace,
Jared
16 Feb 2014 09:56 #2 by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042)
Replied by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042) on topic New to LARPing and RPing
Hi Jared, welcome to Knight Realms!

In the next few days I'm sure there will be many responses to your post but this weekend there is an event going on so very few folks are reading these forums. Everyone starts their LARP / Role-playing journey as new players at some point and the folks at Knight Realms are extremely welcoming to new players. We have several dedicated New Player Marshals (expect to hear from them this week) to guide you along your way. They will answer any and all of your questions, help you make your character and probably give you advice on how put together your first costume.

So for now I'll just say this. Welcome to Knight Realms!

Gunnar Gunnarson, Medicine Man
--
OOG: Joe Hines
Former Development Officer
  • Imrahil
  • I hear, and I forget; I see, and I remember; I do, and I understand.
  • Thank Yous: 216
16 Feb 2014 12:25 #3 by Imrahil (Brendan Barrett)
Replied by Imrahil (Brendan Barrett) on topic New to LARPing and RPing
Hi Jared, and welcome!

My name is Brendan, and I was a noob to LARP as of this past may. I can certainly attest to everyone being very welcoming and helpful. After all, the more folks playing, the richer the experience for everyone! I saw you mentioned having been exposed to Knight Realms through Comic-con. Just perchance, if you happen to cosplay, it would certainly be a significant leg up in the know how to get your costume together. There are a few other important things to consider before your character though.

There is definitely the camping/outdoorsperson aspect that must be taken into account, particularly this time of year, or during the summer. Can't handle the elements, can't take the elementals! I know it's coming, but this time I get to call for the chorus of socks! :cheer: Wildlife is a given, so some understanding of animal behavior is good to have. I was a scout for many years. If you have any questions on any of those, just shoot me a pm, or ask here.

Beyond that all, you really need is a character concept. What kind of character do you want to portray? How similar, or dissimilar to you is the character, and in what ways? You can get a lot of these worked out in the process of writing up a detailed character history. And if you're not certain on a character yet, there's always NPCing an event or more to get some build, SP, and first hand mechanics experience!

Hope to see who you cook up soon!

Imrahil

-Lieutenant of the Baronial Guard

(Amos Oberjonois - Trapper and Spirit Speaker)

OOG - Brendan Barrett
Kitchen marshal
  • Mirwen Silverbow
  • Shadows and darkness are not to be feared. As with any other tool, it is the will of the wielder that does evil or good.
  • Thank Yous: 85
16 Feb 2014 16:28 #4 by Mirwen Silverbow (Mirwen)
Replied by Mirwen Silverbow (Mirwen) on topic New to LARPing and RPing
Hi Jared!
My name is Christine, and I'm one of the New Player Marshals. I'm really glad you want to come give our game a try!
Brendan had a lot of good points in his post-we do run full-weekend events, all year round, so it's always best to make sure you can handle the elements. We have a lot of people who only come to game in one season or another, so that's not a big deal.
I know you read through our rulebook, so if you have any questions or want any help in making a character or coming up with a concept, shoot me a PM and I can help you out, or point you in the right direction.

Can't wait to hear from you or see you in game!

Lady Mirwen Silverbow of Pendarvin
Master of the Mage's Guild
Mage's Guild Scribe

[IMG

Christine B
New Player Marshal
Logistics Marshal
  • jquest716
  • Thank Yous: 12
16 Feb 2014 19:18 #5 by jquest716 (jquest716)
Replied by jquest716 (jquest716) on topic New to LARPing and RPing
Ohhh man thank you everyone for your out reaching to a new player. After all this warm greeting I am super amped to meet everyone and LARP with you all. I love the outdoors so the camping thing is something I really am looking forward to and I have never cosplayed myself but four of my friends are very into Cosplay and I'm sure once I tell them that I am into LARP they will want to play dress up with me. As far as characters go I have a few ideas but nothing set in stone yet till I really understand combat and how magic works in your world. But again thankyou all for the warm welcome!

Be Well and Peace,
Jared
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gallion (Gallion)
16 Feb 2014 20:00 #6 by Appollonius Petrichor (Libraryguy)
Replied by Appollonius Petrichor (Libraryguy) on topic New to LARPing and RPing
Hi there!!

One thing that I feel needs to get mentioned to new players more is how @#$%ing FRIENDLY people are!

The reason that I mention this is that when you go to your very first LARP, you may encounter such characters as: "The surly Orc who growls at everybody and kicks small animals", "The aloof Elves who talk down to you like you're a maggot", "The crafty thieves who only get to know you long enough to lift your purse", and "ALL OF THE MONSTERS TRYING TO KILL YOU". So, your first time out, it's easy to think that everyone at the game hates you and wants you to die. Then once the weekend ends, everyone drops out of character and you realize how awesome and friendly everyone is!! This is the best bunch of people that I've ever met, but sometimes if you're playing the game as a newcomer, you don't realize that all of these badass characters are NOT the same people that you're playing with. If you feel a little alienated and lonely at first game, just bear with it. I promise you that everyone is awesome. <3

Ambrosius Petrichor
Vassal of Alisandria

OOG: Craig Anderson (purple-haired librarian guy)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gallion (Gallion)
  • Onca
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 202
19 Feb 2014 18:37 #7 by Onca (Lorelai)
Replied by Onca (Lorelai) on topic Re:Re: New to LARPing and RPing
Hi there and welcome :) I'm Onca, another new player marshal. Like Christine said, it sounds like you're on the right path. I suggest contacting one of us (or an out of game friend who attends) for more info on sign in, game, training, and clothing for the season.

Looking forward to meeting you!

~ Lorelai Sihnon VonRitter
Huntress of Galladel
Head of House VonRitter of the Witch Hunter Academy

OOG:
Rachel Jump/Onca
(New Player Marshal)
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.500 seconds