New Player from NYC

09 Jun 2014 16:23 #1 by Hannah Elise (hannahbaba)
New Player from NYC was created by Hannah Elise (hannahbaba)
Hello everyone!

I'm Hannah Elise, currently residing in NYC, and am really interested in joining in on a game this summer! I've only done non-combat LARPing before, so I am really excited and a little terrified to try boffer battles. I'm trying to get a small group of friends to come with me, but may end up going stag my first weekend.

However, I have no idea how to easily and/or cheaply get from NYC to the campsite. I saw some players in the Carpool forum are from NYC; any tips on getting a ride from either the city or the nearest train station?

I'm interested in playing a ranger of some currently-undecided race, but alas, I don't own a bow. Is there a marshall or helpful player who might point me in the direction of borrowing some weapons for my first time? Don't want to buy a whole archery kit only to find out that I cannot shoot boffer arrows to save my life :blink:

So excited to meet everyone at my first game! And if anyone's looking for a gung-ho little ranger apprentice in-game, I'd love to follow someone around a bit.

- Hannah

OOG: Hannah Elise
  • Mirwen Silverbow
  • Shadows and darkness are not to be feared. As with any other tool, it is the will of the wielder that does evil or good.
  • Thank Yous: 85
09 Jun 2014 16:51 #2 by Mirwen Silverbow (Mirwen)
Replied by Mirwen Silverbow (Mirwen) on topic New Player from NYC
Hi Hannah! I'm Christine, a New Player Marshal. It's great to hear that you want to try out our game!
I live on Long Island and I've come out from the city a few times to get to game. One option is to take the New Jersey Transit out of Penn Station to Dover; it's about a twenty minute/half hour ride from the station, I think. Whichever you decide to do (come out from the city or ride out to Dover,) your best bet is to just post in the carpool forums-there are a lot of people that show up early on Friday that might be able to pick you up, and there are a few of us that come out from the city that might be able to take you.
As far as boffer archery goes, there's another New Player Marshal named Sean who would know more than me. I'll point him to this thread, or you can PM him (his username is Moulson13). Combat isn't really that bad-all the weapons are designed not to hurt and have to be approved for use before they get taken in game. Our whole system is designed around hits that are hard enough to feel, but light enough not to hurt.
I can't wait to see you in game! If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me and I'll be glad to help!

Lady Mirwen Silverbow of Pendarvin
Master of the Mage's Guild
Mage's Guild Scribe

[IMG

Christine B
New Player Marshal
Logistics Marshal
  • JTinney
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Lad... Never hit if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting.... But if ye have to hit, never hit soft
  • Thank Yous: 537
09 Jun 2014 17:26 #3 by JTinney (Swordsaint)
Replied by JTinney (Swordsaint) on topic New Player from NYC
As for learning Ranger, there are a number of players who have that profession and depending on the mindset you want ot have with the PC, each of them will either be able to help you or send you to someone who operates their ranger in that fashion. (Myself, I'm more the old school tracker/utility type who fights when he has to)

More to being a ranger than using a bow, trust me. Archery is nice but sometimes situation dictates its a bad idea. That being said, I'm running a borrowed kit this event so I can shoot things for a change. ;) As mentioned and you state, give it a try once in game.... and if nothing else, do not take bow as a starting skill for your character. You can ALWAYs learn it in game at some point... there are enough teachers (me included)

Father Duncan MacKenzie

Templar-High Priest of Brazen
Chaplain, Bloodspirits Mercenary Company

Janos Beecham (alt)
Dragoon of No Importance

John Tinney
Safety Marshal/ EMT
09 Jun 2014 17:51 #4 by Hannah Elise (hannahbaba)
Replied by Hannah Elise (hannahbaba) on topic New Player from NYC
Wow, thanks for the quick replies guys!

Thanks for the ride info Christine, when I figure out which event I can make next I will definitely post in the carpool forums.

John, thanks for the ranger info, I still have no idea what role I'd like to fill yet, it all sounds fun! In the rulebook it says that you can switch up any part of your build you don't like between your first and second games, so I was thinking of trying a few different starting skills and seeing what I liked best. Any suggestions of ones not to miss?

• Croínamara
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Sock Marshal
  • Thank Yous: 467
09 Jun 2014 17:55 #5 by Croínamara (Jen)
Replied by Croínamara (Jen) on topic New Player from NYC
Hey! I live in Staten island! I can't offer a ride this time, but welcome to the game from the outer boroughs!

Mention in the character forum that you're looking to borrow stuff, and in the ride forum for a lift,. people might not see here.

Also, the camp gets SUPER MUDDY, so invest in good boots and bring more socks than you will ever need.

:D HAVE FUN

Croínamara Ull Uidhir of Clan Uidhir
Squire to Knight Captain Magnus
Chancellor of the Arts
Sergeant of the Baronial Guard

OOG:
Jen F.
Roleplay Marshal
09 Jun 2014 20:10 #6 by Sean Moulson (Moulson13)
Replied by Sean Moulson (Moulson13) on topic New Player from NYC
Hannah,
I'm Sean the New Player Marshal Christine mentioned. I live in Queens and either take the train out or negotiate a ride with other players.
I also shoot archery in the game I have spare arrows and I think I might be able to find an extra bow (let me ask some people) Also if you'd like send me a PM and we can speak about getting you out to game.
First your fist game we do a new player intro section so that you can meet other new players as well as some other people. Also finding people to help train you is not going to be an issue.
Most importantly have fun at your first game there is no worries once you get there :).
Message me and we will find a way to get you there.

Anhil Shadesar, Knight of Kaladonia

Storyteller
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
09 Jun 2014 20:22 #7 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic Re:New Player from NYC
We still have my bow in the back Sean.

Hi names Conor and I'm another new player marshal. Find me and I can see if we can dig out my bow....I would just like it back of course.

I'm also a ranger in game so any questions about that shoot me a message. I've got no problem answering them.

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
09 Jun 2014 21:42 #8 by Hannah Elise (hannahbaba)
Thanks for all the offers of help guys! Sean, I will definitely shoot you a PM when I figure out which event I can make. The July weekend is looking good!

• Rowan Uidhir
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Beans, beans, the musical fruit...
  • Thank Yous: 145
09 Jun 2014 22:39 #9 by Rowan Uidhir (Teresa)
Replied by Rowan Uidhir (Teresa) on topic New Player from NYC
It's good to see another player from my favorite city! ^_^

Both my brother and I come to KR almost every month and we live in Brooklyn. I hope you'll come on over this summer and try out the game!

-Teresa

(OOG) Teresa Amore
  • Dunn Ironwill
  • Do you require alchemy!?!
  • Thank Yous: 175
10 Jun 2014 02:19 #10 by Dunn Ironwill (JackDimms)
Replied by Dunn Ironwill (JackDimms) on topic New Player from NYC
Hey there Hannah, I'm Dane! I just wanted to welcome you to the forums and into our community! For your questions on IG archery, I suggest looking up Marie Delrio. She is a crack shot with a bow and during NPC shift I can't tell you how many times she's snagged me with sniper like accuracy.

As for what race to go, I highly suggest Barbarian. It's truly a fun race to play and the community as a whole has been adding so much meat to the lore of the race.

In any case, I hope to see you in June! Hopefully you will catch some of Jack Dimms' antics and have a laugh.

Til the 20th I bid you good day and have an awesome time!

Professor Dunn Ironwill
Cenobite of Agaura
Occultist.
Vassal of Ostcliff

OOG: Dane Williams
  • Onca
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 202
10 Jun 2014 20:00 #11 by Onca (Lorelai)
Replied by Onca (Lorelai) on topic New Player from NYC
Hey Hannah,

Looks like you chose the right week to say hello! I'm another New Player Marshal, and I also do archery (though I do not play a Ranger). I thought I'd toss out that you can change your character up until the end of your third event, not just between event 1 and 2. If you don't get a total feel from one weekend, we want you to have a chance to try other things. Another great idea is to pick up different fighting styles during your NPC shift so you can practice those instead, as well.

As mentioned, at 9PM on Friday of the event, there is a new player training session in the barn (you will be directed there after sign-in) and there are modules set up during the weekend for new players specifically. You can go on these your second and third events, too, and sometimes longer, so you could join your friends when they also arrive.

There is a ton of information and we don't expect you to know much (or anything!), so just come prepared, double check your bags, and ask around for information if you'd like. On facebook there is a Knight Realms group, you can try messaging people on there as well.

Looking forward to meeting you!
-Onca

~ Lorelai Sihnon VonRitter
Huntress of Galladel
Head of House VonRitter of the Witch Hunter Academy

OOG:
Rachel Jump/Onca
(New Player Marshal)
14 Jun 2014 10:06 #12 by Hannah Elise (hannahbaba)
Hi guys! Unfortunately I can't make next weekend, but the July weekend is already on my calendar! Now to decide between ranger and warrior... Ranger sounds like so much fun, but basic human warrior would be quite an easy introduction to the game. Decisions decisions!

14 Jun 2014 10:59 #13 by Thalia Burdorn (abbyl)
Replied by Thalia Burdorn (abbyl) on topic New Player from NYC
Late to the party on this one, but WELCOME! Always nice to have another player from NYC. Place near and dear to my heart. My name's Abby. While I'm sorry to hear that you won't be able to make it, I'm looking forward to meeting you when you can! <3

Thalia Stonebar Burdorn
Consul of Kaladonia
Warden of the Phocus
Ambassador to Calasvorin
Manager, Dragon's Claw Inn;

OOG: Abby Leib
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
14 Jun 2014 13:35 #14 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic New Player from NYC
If you have the time & wanna see what KR is like in a more relaxed atmosphere... or in a venue that isn't as far as Dover, there is DexCon 17.

DexCon 17

KR usually runs something during that event & allows new players to come & see. I highly recommend it.

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
14 Jun 2014 22:11 #15 by Kanas Whisperwood Silverfang (midgetelf)
Replied by Kanas Whisperwood Silverfang (midgetelf) on topic New Player from NYC
Hi Hannah

I'm Jeremy. I'm not a new player marshal, but I'm a new yorker as well as a ranger at Knight Realms. When you make your pc, do what you think you would be comfortable with. Personally, I would love to see another ranger, but it's up to you about what you want to do and how to want to roleplay it. If you want to get to know the game a bit better before bringing in your first pc, you can always NPC for an event or two. There are people who have spent years NPCing before they played their first pc. If you have any questions about what it is like being a ranger in the game, you can always find me on facebook. My username is Jeremy Schwartz. But I have a question for you, and this is something you need to think about before you start playing: Who will you be?

Kanas Silverfang

OOG: Jeremy Schwartz
  • Aella
  • Thank Yous: 99
15 Jun 2014 22:43 #16 by Aella (Onirazael)
Replied by Aella (Onirazael) on topic New Player from NYC
Hey there! I play a ranger and I only use the bow. If you want I can introduce you to it and show you the ropes a bit for shooting. The loaner bows aren't much, I have a 15 pound bow I can pull up and pass you an arrow or two if you like. Just PM me and I will help you out.

Ree

Aella
OOG: Ree D
~I'd put a pretentious quote in, but I am far too lazy to pretend I'm clever. ~
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.636 seconds