New Player

• Shinoski
  • Thank Yous: 13
18 Aug 2014 14:36 - 18 Aug 2014 16:14 #1 by Shinoski (Sageoflight)
New Player was created by Shinoski (Sageoflight)
Just wanted to say hello!

This was my first Knight Realms/ LARP event, and I had an amazing time. I moved from Table Top RPG's to text based MMO's, to now live action! Since I wasn't able to play my character yet, I NPCed for the weekend. I felt totally under dressed as I looked around and saw how many awesome costumes and hard work was put into the characters.

I was a little unsure what to do about having my first roll be a merchant selling goods. Got comfortable after a couple hours. I was then switched to monster npc's. Those who met me first hand remember me as "That spider guy that disappeared and reappeared at random." I felt so proud when I heard the other npc's of my group whispering 'This guy knows what he's doing!' when I was walking around and hiding in the woods. I was also very surprised that I able to sell the five lobsters to the jewelry maker at the bar! I thought I was never going to sell those!

Traveling around at night in the pitch of dark was.. an experience. Especially being the last in line in your group. Even though your an NPC, you never know when someone might try to gank you from behind! The main battle/mod was..I can't even describe it. Now I know what battlefield chaos feels like. Half expected that should of been some epic soundtrack playing in the background with ppl fighting!

Although it was a six hour drive, I'm hooked, and will try my best to get what I need before coming down in September!

"maybe someday they'll see a Hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Vincent Wahl
Last edit: 18 Aug 2014 16:14 by Shinoski (Sageoflight).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sister Danae (Danae), Ilana Darkwood (Ilana_Darkwood), Birgitta Drexel (Birgitta), Caldor Eirson (Caldor)
18 Aug 2014 15:40 #2 by Birgitta Drexel (Birgitta)
Replied by Birgitta Drexel (Birgitta) on topic New Player
Vincent welcome to KR. Thank you for NPCing. Costuming is dome thing that grows with and on a PC. Basic stuff is really all you need. It's good yo have armor but it's not required. Mostly new players coming from my neck of the woods are using scrubs and removing the pockets and adding trim as suitable. It's easy get and fix items. Really it depends on what you are portraying. Many of us make our own too. Riding breeches boots tunic trews tabard a circke skirts are all easy makes too. Add some flair with trims and off you go.

Easier than you think I promise.

I don't know where you are but I'm in Reading PA and was playing my new Alt Drow PC. If you want done help I'd be happy to assist and even teach basic sewing.

Hugs

Leslie-Lorien (Lori)

Birgitta Drexel (Primary)
Commander of Training Baronial Militia
Blood Spirits (Cmd/Sgt)
Blue Dragoon

"Amateurs Practice Until They Get It Right; Professionals Practice Until They Can’t Get It Wrong"

Callisto Boyington (Alt)
Cav.

AKA Leslie McCormack
  • Shinoski
18 Aug 2014 16:10 #3 by Shinoski (Sageoflight)
Replied by Shinoski (Sageoflight) on topic New Player
Yes, I remember you! You were the seamstress! I came from Rochester Ny. I have been in Reading PA before for a WW2 reenactment some years ago.

Vincent Wahl
18 Aug 2014 17:10 - 18 Aug 2014 17:56 #4 by Birgitta Drexel (Birgitta)
Actually Lori is an artist. I heard F. Dugan was talking to another player about my stuff being made by myself. Was that you?

Blood Spirits (Cmd/Sgt)
Blue Dragoon

"Amateurs Practice Until They Get It Right; Professionals Practice Until They Can’t Get It Wrong"

Callisto Boyington (Alt)
Cav.

AKA Leslie McCormack
Last edit: 18 Aug 2014 17:56 by Birgitta Drexel (Birgitta). Reason: I hate iPads...
  • Shinoski
18 Aug 2014 19:29 #5 by Shinoski (Sageoflight)
Replied by Shinoski (Sageoflight) on topic Re:Re: New Player

Birgitta wrote: Actually Lori is an artist. I heard F. Dugan was talking to another player about my stuff being made by myself. Was that you?

Yes it was. A drow asked me if I wanted to see her wears. I thought she ment the fabrics and cloaks behind her. While I am at it, what are the tunics made out of? There was another guy selling them along armor and swords, belts ect. I'm sorry for any confusion that might have caused.

Vincent Wahl
18 Aug 2014 20:50 #6 by Birgitta Drexel (Birgitta)
NP. Tunics are usually made from preshrunk cotton and polyester blend. So are trews. Undergarments are cotton or linen depending. You can get other fabrics and use them for heavy wear line brocades which is actually fabric for upholstery.

Cloaks can be broadcloth types or velvet lined or unlined. I did fabric 101 for someone recently so they got an idea of was out there and how it can be used. Joanne's fabric is a great place to go looking but knowing what is used is important.

I made my dried outfits from the sleeveless jacket to the dress combo and have taught others those basics. I have female and male students which is awesome! I can also recommend the vendors you saw! They make some great stuff at good prices!!

Awesome to deal with too!

Blood Spirits (Cmd/Sgt)
Blue Dragoon

Callisto Boyington (Alt)
Cav.

AKA Leslie McCormack
  • Shinoski
18 Aug 2014 22:06 #7 by Shinoski (Sageoflight)
cool! Thanks for the advice. I'm looking to see what the measurements are for the tunic I got. It's an XL, and it's from my understanding, larp exchange. Yet, they didn't have that on the website. I'll send you a message on what I'm trying to figure out, and if its best to just buy another tunic, or do alterations.

Vincent Wahl
  • Shinoski
18 Aug 2014 22:12 #8 by Shinoski (Sageoflight)
The only question I have is how to clean them. Drip dry?

Vincent Wahl
18 Aug 2014 22:44 #9 by Birgitta Drexel (Birgitta)
Machine wash on delicates for long lasting. Air dry in machine is a good general rule for anything costuming except leather, metal and furs. Anyone needs help with leather care can shoot me a PM too. Saddles bridles armor... Yeah I got that covered too says the Dressage rider. :)

Blood Spirits (Cmd/Sgt)
Blue Dragoon

Callisto Boyington (Alt)
Cav.

AKA Leslie McCormack
19 Aug 2014 06:15 #10 by Donald MacFhionnlaigh (raidr0933)
Replied by Donald MacFhionnlaigh (raidr0933) on topic New Player
Costuming will come along slowly as you progress. this past event was my second game ever, and I had someone comment that "your costume looks better every time."

This seems to be a good group.

Donald MacFhionnlaigh
OOG: Sean Farquharson "Jarhead"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Argyle Del Dragon (AngryCelt)
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.489 seconds