Looking forward to my first event, but, questions.

• Nerreth
  • Thank Yous: 0
24 Aug 2014 13:02 #1 by Nerreth (roriccostler)
Looking forward to my first event, but, questions. was created by Nerreth (roriccostler)
Hello! A group of my friends recently started going to Knight Realms and I'm hoping to finally join them as a full-time NPC this next coming event. It sounds absolutely amazing and I look forward to it.

I have one big question though, related to a character I may eventually play. The rulebook says that if you have an ability that gives you a minion, you have to essentially supply your own player-- The reasoning is sound (the NPCs are for everyone, not just you) but seeing as that means the person I'm asking to join me won't get to play their character and won't get service points since they can't be an NPC, that seems like a massive rip-off for them, especially if they are playing as something relatively mindless, like an animal or undead. They don't get to do much and get no reward for sacrificing their time.

Is this really how it's handled? If so I can't imagine many people really utilize many of those abilities...

Finally, I've heard that if you RP well and generally put in effort and make a good impression, it's possible to have your own "unique" abilities with the permission of the proper Marshal. Or rather, to do things not directly stated in the rulebooks. Is this true? I'm not talking about doing impossible things or making your character into a Mary Sue. More like things like creating your own spells or rituals and the like.

OOG - Brett Evans
  • Matt D
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Photographer extraordinaire!
  • Thank Yous: 557
24 Aug 2014 13:25 #2 by Matt D (MattD)
Replied by Matt D (MattD) on topic Looking forward to my first event, but, questions.
Regarding your first question, that is pretty much how summoning is done, which is also part of the reason many of the summon spells have been removed from game. I will link both threads for you regarding the changes later tonight, unless someone beats me to it.

For your second question, unique abilities cone from three different sources: Smith Promo - Legendary Work, Banquet raffle items, and Mithril Pledges. The Smith Promo is a skill you can learn, which gives you an item with a unique ability, the banquet raffle items are part of a once a year awards banquet that sometimes have unique abilities. They can be rewarded by service points or tickets, depending on the item. More details on the banquet can be found on the side bar of the page. And the last one is obtained by donating to the camp for various things that need improving.

All of the unique skills go through an approval process with the rules team and director before they are able to be used in game.

Elias Ashby
Proprietor of the Ashby Family General Store

Lord Templar Rayven Nightwing of the Order of Holy Light

(OOG - Matt D. - Photographer)
  • Matt D
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
24 Aug 2014 18:33 #3 by Matt D (MattD)
Replied by Matt D (MattD) on topic Looking forward to my first event, but, questions.

Elias Ashby

• Nerreth
26 Aug 2014 06:02 #4 by Nerreth (roriccostler)
Replied by Nerreth (roriccostler) on topic Looking forward to my first event, but, questions.
Thanks! It's a shame to hear there may end up being no summoning spells but, so be it if it means more people have fun. I just hope it doesn't clash with the story too much (if necromancers can't make undead, then NPC necromancers will seem really cheap in my opinion-- Something that often bothered me in tabletop roleplaying games).

And thank you for the quick reply!

OOG - Brett Evans
  • Matt D
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
26 Aug 2014 07:47 #5 by Matt D (MattD)
To the best of my knowledge, Necromancy is staying as is. The mage, druid and divine summons have all been removed from game. That may change down the road, but as of the newest update, they retain the ability to summon undead, which need to be provided by the player.

Elias Ashby

26 Aug 2014 09:10 #6 by Caldor Eirson (Caldor)
Replied by Caldor Eirson (Caldor) on topic Looking forward to my first event, but, questions.
I miss my nature's herald so...

Caldor Eirson,

Gothi and High Priest of Gaia
Wedding Planner, Match Maker,
Vintner
Spiritual Advisor To Kaladonia

~~~~~~
OOG: Jason M.
Deputy Kitchen Marshal
Land System Marshal

Q: How many people does it take to teach a barbarian how to read?
A: 1 knight, 3 squires, and 1 master of the mages guild.
~~~~~~~
  • Nerreth
27 Aug 2014 02:37 #7 by Nerreth (roriccostler)
Replied by Nerreth (roriccostler) on topic Looking forward to my first event, but, questions.
What's the relation to control spells? If I cast Control Undead, for instance, how does that work?

Specifically I mean, I'm not sure if it has a duration, or if I would also have to supply my own player for that as well. I suppose it'd be much less commonly usable than creating an undead, but I'm concerned if it presents the same problems with drawing from the small pool of NPCs available.

OOG - Brett Evans
  • Matt D
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
27 Aug 2014 08:53 #8 by Matt D (MattD)
The same thing applies to dominating a living being, whether it is a troll, ogre, or lizard kin. Be respectful of NPC resources. Control it, use it against the other NPC's, then let it go. Don't hold it post the length of the mod to prevent people from being stuck beyond their shift

Elias Ashby

• Nerreth
27 Aug 2014 09:54 #9 by Nerreth (roriccostler)
Mmkay, thank you! I have one final question...

Would I be able to use a coreless throwing dagger as a small weapon? I heard that thrusting with weapons is generally discouraged because it's easier to accidentally hurt someone, so if I could use a coreless knife that would would make it impossible for it to happen (easier for me than trying to not instinctively stab with a stabbing weapon). If it's not allowed, and all melee weapons have to have a core, could I have the reason as to why? If not it's fine.

OOG - Brett Evans
  • Matt D
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
27 Aug 2014 09:59 #10 by Matt D (MattD)
No, a small weapon must have a core, and a thrown weapon cannot. They cannot be used interchangeably for safety reasons. You cannot block with a coreless weapon.

Elias Ashby

Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.488 seconds