My caravan merrily wends ever closer

28 Aug 2014 20:06 - 28 Aug 2014 20:08 #1 by Cael Tanwyn (CaelTanwyn)
My caravan merrily wends ever closer was created by Cael Tanwyn (CaelTanwyn)
Hello all! I moved up to NYC earlier this summer and have been pining to find a quality roleplaying experience ever since. Celebration is in order, for it seems I have finally discovered one! Alas, I have to work next Sunday, so I shall be forced to wait to join the festivities until the October event.

I'm currently working on convincing a pair of friends from the Philly area to come with me that weekend, as well. What should we know ahead of time to be as prepared as possible? We are all experienced roleplayers, but do not know how well that will translate to the the KR experience. We have read fairly extensively through the rulebooks and the forums, we definitely plan on playing gypsies, and two of us at least have solid understandings of the professions we want to play (and ideas of how to build them). But any further information and tips would be most welcome indeed!

It's going to be a long wait until October; my anticipation is palpable!

Tanwyn, Cael

"We align the stars."
Head of the Tanwyn Familia

OOG: Nic White
Last edit: 28 Aug 2014 20:08 by Cael Tanwyn (CaelTanwyn).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Croínamara (Jen)
  • Terzak
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Tell me, thief, do you know anything about MAGIC?
  • Thank Yous: 154
28 Aug 2014 20:13 #2 by Terzak (TheArchMage)
Replied by Terzak (TheArchMage) on topic My caravan merrily wends ever closer
I'm going to say it now to give you a warning. Welcome! And what I wanted to say as a warning. SOCKS, bring a few pairs because it helps. The warning is I'm probably not going to be the only one to tell you.

By my hand,
Professor Terzak Winstonshire

OOG: Will Harrington
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
28 Aug 2014 21:13 #3 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic My caravan merrily wends ever closer
Just read the New Players! section on the website. It covers 99.9% of everything you need to know for your first event. Treat this like a combination gaming convention plus camping trip. Pack for weather. Pack for what "mods/tables/events" you plan on taking part in, your costume for "cosplay", & other handy travel stuff. Speak with the marshals about any questions you have or need help with.

Other than that... welcome aboard, have fun, & enjoy yourself.

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
28 Aug 2014 21:54 #4 by Meander Correlis (SarahBrand)
Replied by Meander Correlis (SarahBrand) on topic My caravan merrily wends ever closer
Hey, Philly friends! There are a bunch of us around there. :)

Logistics has basic costume items for NPCs, tabards/cloaks/the like, but a basic black outfit is recommended to go under all of that. The inn provides most meals, but I always pack some extra food, snacks or whatnot, for in between or if I miss a meal (i.e. sleeping in).

Glad you'll be joining us in October!

~Meander Correlis, Master Alchemist
Baronial Ambassador to Londwyn
Champion of Homunculi City

(OOG: Sarah Brand)
  • Croínamara
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Sock Marshal
  • Thank Yous: 467
28 Aug 2014 22:10 #5 by Croínamara (Jen)
Replied by Croínamara (Jen) on topic My caravan merrily wends ever closer
Greetings from one of the outer boroughs of NYC!

I'm Jen!

Echoing everyone else:

- Good Boots (the camp is always muddy)
- Many pairs of socks (Even with good boots, your feet will probably get wet if it even drizzles)
- Your Own Drinking Mug (purely optional in my opinion, plenty of people are fine with drinking out of bottles and mugs, but with the fall coming fast, now is the time to keep an eye out for larp plagues, flu, and the like)
-A Cloak or Appropriate Sweater (even on the hottest days, it can get chilly at night. it's nice to have something warm to run around in.)
-Moar Socks (because socks are a precious thing)
-Snacks (The best way to make friends at game is to offer food to them at 3am. granola bars and fruit are the bees knees)
- Don't forget socks (i did once and a bunch of the guys left the camp to buy me a bag of socks, for they are the true heroes.)
- Bedding! (the girl scout cots we use for lodging are exactly that - girl scout cots. bringing a set of sheets and a pillow is the best idea ever.)
- An in game Pouch or bag (something to keep your playercard, items, oog items [wallet] etc in while you play as your character)
- Get involved - (The hardest part of being a new player is breaking the ice. Don't be intimidated, just go for it. it's worth it, trust me. )
- Did I mention (Socks).

Welcome to the game :D

Croínamara Ull Uidhir of Clan Uidhir
Squire to Knight Captain Magnus
Chancellor of the Arts
Sergeant of the Baronial Guard

OOG:
Jen F.
Roleplay Marshal
29 Aug 2014 01:05 #6 by Captain Cade Tanwyn (Cade Tanwyn)
Replied by Captain Cade Tanwyn (Cade Tanwyn) on topic My caravan merrily wends ever closer
Sounds like we should probably bring some socks....

Co-founder Tanwyn Trading
Captain Cade Tanwyn of The Night Harrier
Author of the Pirate Accords founded in 1217

OOG: Andy, New Player Marshal
29 Aug 2014 07:31 #7 by Birgitta Drexel (Birgitta)
Replied by Birgitta Drexel (Birgitta) on topic My caravan merrily wends ever closer
Cotton in summer other materials like wool and micro fibers in winter. Dress in layers is a great general rule in any season but esp in winter. Since fall is coming on... Camp Sac is very like camping in the Pocono mts. Warm days very cool nights. I have a circulation disorder so I bring gloves to every event. Just in case. Light med and heavy duty gloves. My socks have socks. Changing new socks at night fresh pairs after hot shower in the AM helps keep feet warm and dry be it from sweat or dew.

The camp us mostly forested so dew is a strong morning factor and it includes part of a lake and swamps. Bug spray. Tick control. Spider repellent if you tent camp you know the ground treatments.

Birgitta Drexel (Primary)
Commander of Training Baronial Militia
Blood Spirits (Cmd/Sgt)
Blue Dragoon

"Amateurs Practice Until They Get It Right; Professionals Practice Until They Can’t Get It Wrong"

Callisto Boyington (Alt)
Cav.

AKA Leslie McCormack
29 Aug 2014 09:10 #8 by Caldor Eirson (Caldor)
Replied by Caldor Eirson (Caldor) on topic My caravan merrily wends ever closer
I'm very disappointed in Jen for how little she pushed socks this time.

I will amend the socks conversation with this: Investing in 2 pairs of REALLY good socks can be worth every penny. I now bring 2-3 pairs of nice "water wicking", well-breathing, socks designed for hiking, and they last me through everything.

Caldor Eirson,

Gothi and High Priest of Gaia
Wedding Planner, Match Maker,
Vintner
Spiritual Advisor To Kaladonia

~~~~~~
OOG: Jason M.
Deputy Kitchen Marshal
Land System Marshal

Q: How many people does it take to teach a barbarian how to read?
A: 1 knight, 3 squires, and 1 master of the mages guild.
~~~~~~~
29 Aug 2014 23:24 #9 by Cael Tanwyn (CaelTanwyn)
Replied by Cael Tanwyn (CaelTanwyn) on topic My caravan merrily wends ever closer
Thanks to all for the kind and helpful words of wisdom! I can't wait to meet up in person. (And many socks will be in places of reverence in the caravan.)

Tanwyn, Cael

"We align the stars."

• NeeSoWee
  • Thank Yous: 7
30 Aug 2014 23:45 #10 by NeeSoWee (NeeSoWee)
Replied by NeeSoWee (NeeSoWee) on topic My caravan merrily wends ever closer
Hey all y'all new beautiful people!

Joe here but in game I'm NeeSoWee. Most of course mentioned a lot of OOG stuff which is very important but there's also the basic IG stuff. If you have any questions at the event look for New Player Marshals. Most know who they are and can point you to the right direction. Before game if you have questions about the game also message them. I myself am not one, but if you have any questions about character build I will be more than glad to help. Or again you can ask a new player Marshall and they will gladly do the same. Welcome to the game and I guarantee you will have fun.

Faith Protector Liam "NeeSoWee" S. McKraegar
OOG Joe Spagnoli
30 Oct 2014 11:57 #11 by Cael Tanwyn (CaelTanwyn)
Replied by Cael Tanwyn (CaelTanwyn) on topic Re:My caravan merrily wends ever closer
So first things first, npcing last event was twice as fun as I thought possible, so thanks to all at KR for that experience!

Now I can't wait for tomorrow, as I shall actually be coming in as my character, ready to cause some gypsy chaos!
However (due to the evil constraints of work), I shall be arriving slightly late and am guessing that the new player mod will already have been sent out. Is there anything I should do to expedite my character creation process so that I miss as little as possible?

Tanwyn, Cael

"We align the stars."

• GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
30 Oct 2014 12:32 #12 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Re:My caravan merrily wends ever closer
Grab the worksheet from the Resources / Downloads section of the website. Fill it out ahead of time. If there are no issues to adjust, a Marshal can just sign it off and let you go, without needing to do it right on site.

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cael Tanwyn (CaelTanwyn)
30 Oct 2014 13:40 #13 by Cael Tanwyn (CaelTanwyn)
Replied by Cael Tanwyn (CaelTanwyn) on topic Re:My caravan merrily wends ever closer
Very good! I shall do so!

Tanwyn, Cael

"We align the stars."

Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.541 seconds