Looking Forward To Getting My Game On

16 Sep 2014 13:01 - 16 Sep 2014 13:40 #1 by Brokk Ironjaw (derekkonn)
Looking Forward To Getting My Game On was created by Brokk Ironjaw (derekkonn)
Hey, everybody! My name is Derek and I will be joining y'all from nearby Orange County NY as an NPC this upcoming October (a day after my birthday (32, blech!)) and I'm pretty pumped up. Just wanted to say I'm pretty impressed with everything I've looked at in the community section and I can't wait to RP with ya's and immerse myself in your world. I figured I'd wait a while before PCing; get my feet wet, etc. Do I have to pre-reg on this site before I come to the game, or can I take care of all that at Logistics the night of?

Anyway, I figure I'll list my street cred here in case my real life skills or whatnot can be of use IG or OOG:

-been roleplaying in various incarnations since I was a kid. Honestly, it's been ten years since I've larped (at Camp Sac, no less, so I'm excited to see what you've done with the place), and since getting all my RL schtuff in relative order, I've been itching to get back to my hobbies.

- I'm an HVAC/plumbing technician in Orange, Rockland and Bergen counties. I have hand tools in my truck just in case. I've also got plenty of construction experience and am no stranger to getting my hands dirty.

- I'll probably regret this come feast-time, but I can also cook and know my way around a kitchen ;p

- I have written and DM'd quite a few AD&D (2nd edition for life!) modules in my day, so I'm no stranger to on the fly creativity

- I also draw in my spare time... I'm drawing blanks for this list as we speak! Haha

Anyway like I said, can't wait for the October event and getting to know all of you in some form or another.

Oh, one other question: how is gambling (the act, not the skill) looked upon in Travance? Is it cool to shoot some dice quietly in the Inn for IG wagers, or are the designated times and places that this can be done?

PS, sorry for all the words, but I also couldn't figure out how to do my sig. I'm sure it's because I'm a derpatron or maybe it's because iPhone.

-Derek K
Last edit: 16 Sep 2014 13:40 by Brokk Ironjaw (derekkonn).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Croínamara (Jen)
  • Azrael
  • Thank Yous: 21
16 Sep 2014 14:49 #2 by Azrael (newtyperx79)
Replied by Azrael (newtyperx79) on topic Looking Forward To Getting My Game On
First Welcome to KR, as someone who is new to the game as well.

I noticed myself the mobile sites don't let you access your account page to update your Sig. I had the same problem on my device and had to wait till I got home.

I just showed up in August on Friday night and Logistics took care of me. I found out and decided to go to the larp about 2 hours before I headed up there. They set you up with a character card and everything. NPCing is a blast and I am sometimes torn, because I like the change of pace and interaction. Anything else more experienced players or marshals can assist you with.

Azrael

OOG: Luis Morales
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brokk Ironjaw (derekkonn)
  • Not An Assassin
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • I'm not a man fighting against monsters, I'm a monster fighting against the world as it reclaims itself.
  • Thank Yous: 344
16 Sep 2014 15:22 #3 by Not An Assassin (Salem)
Replied by Not An Assassin (Salem) on topic Looking Forward To Getting My Game On
Hi Derek!
I think you'll make an excellent addition to the KR family and I know you'll love how the game and camp is. You should be getting a few new player marshals posting here in a bit and I suggest listening to them and seeking them out at camp if you need them because they're awesome.

Gambling seems to happen anywhere at any time. If you want to deal stud a noon on Sunday, I say do it. If you want to make bets with the dwarves because you think you can hold more liquor than them, do it. I run a tavern called the Black bird and we try to get poker games going. If you want to play, just ask.

I hope KR is a great time for you and I'm glad to know that another new friend will be coming in.

Welcome to the family!
-Reece

Salem Noire, Lieutenant Commander of the Blood Spirits

Lieutenant Leon Drekken of House Zezima

OOG-Reece Belmont
The following user(s) said Thank You: Goggs (coryan), Brokk Ironjaw (derekkonn)
  • Onca
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 202
17 Sep 2014 12:13 #4 by Onca (Lorelai)
Replied by Onca (Lorelai) on topic Looking Forward To Getting My Game On
Hi Derek!

Firstly, welcome! I hope you are excited to join us. My name is Onca, and I'm a new player marshal. Myself and any other new player marshals will be happy to get you set up for your first event (yes, even as an NPC), so feel free to post questions here or to message privately.

To answer your questions already posted: There is no pre-registration. You are welcome to show up for sign-in (usually around 7pm) at logistics on Friday night, and let them know you are a new player and NPCing the whole time. You are welcome to change your mind and pay for your PC at that time instead.

As to gambling - In-game gambling is allowed, anytime anywhere, if you can find people willing to take the chance. As an NPC you probably won't get much chance for this, but if things are quiet and you are NPCing, you can always ask your Monster Marshal. We can always use more gold in logistics! Out-of-game gambling is, of course, not allowed.

A few notes for you: October is looking to get cold, quickly. PLEASE bring warm layers, and backup clothing. Silk/wool/underarmor are all touted by our players, and I personally vouch for my mom's hand-knit woolen socks when the rain shows up. Bring LOTS of socks, wool or otherwise. Bring gloves, hat, scarf, anything you may want, even while resting between shifts. If these are in black/neutral colors, all the better. The NPC sleeping area does have some warmth, but that is not to say that it is well-heated. Extra blankets never hurt - if you don't need them, someone else might.

As a new player, we welcome you, -even as an NPC-, to join us around 9.30 pm in the barn on Friday night (right next to logistics) for the new player training class. This will go over basic rules, policies, and show you some friendy faces to turn to with questions. Just after announcements and lay-on (usually by around 10.30 or so) we have a new player mod. If you want to NPC for this, to fight your fellow newbies, let your monster marshal and new player teacher (during the class) know. This gives a basic rundown of the town(see: camp) and also allows you to try some basic, simple combat to warm up with.

I look forward to meeting you! Again, any other questions we are happy to help with!
-Onca

~ Lorelai Sihnon VonRitter
Huntress of Galladel
Head of House VonRitter of the Witch Hunter Academy

OOG:
Rachel Jump/Onca
(New Player Marshal)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brokk Ironjaw (derekkonn)
17 Sep 2014 12:39 - 17 Sep 2014 12:53 #5 by Brokk Ironjaw (derekkonn)
Replied by Brokk Ironjaw (derekkonn) on topic Looking Forward To Getting My Game On
Thanks for the warm welcome, guys! I forgot to mention that I'm an avid hiker/camper so I got lots of warm, snuggly things! :D I also have a tendency to cook epic breakfast sandwiches on my camp stove. Would it be ok to set it up somewhere near the NPC/parking area in the morning? As long as I have enough sausage, egg, and cheese to share, of course... ;)

Edit: oh, nearly forgot: do you guys have face paint and whatnot? Should I bring wipes, qtips, etc?
Last edit: 17 Sep 2014 12:53 by Brokk Ironjaw (derekkonn).
  • Matt D
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Photographer extraordinaire!
  • Thank Yous: 557
17 Sep 2014 12:59 #6 by Matt D (MattD)
Replied by Matt D (MattD) on topic Looking Forward To Getting My Game On
If you will be NPC'ing there will be makeup provided, but we always welcome makeup wipes and baby wipes. When you check in, notify James (the Director) or Jason (Logistics) and you will get some much needed Service Points.

Elias Ashby
Proprietor of the Ashby Family General Store

Lord Templar Rayven Nightwing of the Order of Holy Light

(OOG - Matt D. - Photographer)
03 Oct 2014 15:52 #7 by Brokk Ironjaw (derekkonn)
Replied by Brokk Ironjaw (derekkonn) on topic Looking Forward To Getting My Game On
Oh God, it's finally here!

*frantically checking through everything I packed, not remembering what I'm looking at*

Is it normal to be this nervous?! Haha, whoo boy... If you see me (6'2 blonde, green eyed, bearded big guy) say hello and dont hit me too hard! ;) I'm a shy softie at heart!

-Derek K
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.530 seconds